• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'Spider-Man: Homecoming' writers returning for sequel; Jon Watts also in talks

ZeoVGM

Banned
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/spider-man-homecoming-writers-returning-sequel-1033928

Jon Watts being in talks was already known but now we also have confirmation of the writers. Good to see Marvel and Sony not screwing with a good thing. (Though obviously, we'll see what happens with the weird non-MCU/non-Holland spin-offs.)

With Homecoming being one of the best MCU movies yet, I'm incredibly excited to see what they do with the sequel.

Screenwriters Chris McKenna and Erik Sommers are back in the spider’s web.

The duo, who worked on Spider-Man: Homecoming, are in final negotiations to return to the world of Peter Parker to write the sequel to the Sony Pictures/Marvel Studios hit.

Homecoming, a resetting of Sony’s Spider-Man franchise that places the new movies within the Marvel Cinematic Universe, was a major hit for Sony, winning over critics and the comic book fans. It spun over $319 million domestically at the box office, $737 million worldwide. (The previous entry, the derided Amazing Spider-Man 2, grossed $202 million domestically and $708 million worldwide.)

Sony and Marvel are hoping to keep many of the creative elements of Homecoming together and are already in talks to have Jon Watts return to the director’s chair. Tom Holland is set to return as the web-crawling hero.

Spider-Man: Homecoming 2 is scheduled for a July 5, 2019, release.

McKenna and Sommers hail for the comedy and animation world, having been writer-producers on American Dad, Community and The Mindy Project. The duo worked on The Lego Batman Movie and impressed both Sony and Marvel with their Homecoming work, who then also hired them for the studios’ Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle and Ant-Man and the Wasp movies, respectively.

Alienous

Great news. I've never seen a superhero movie do such an amazing job at reinventing a character as they did with The Vulture.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Great news. I've never seen a superhero movie so such an amazing job at reinventing a character as they did with The Vulture.

That scene was great and was a cool subversion of how these characters find out about each other. Keaton was terrific.

Anung

Un Rama
They made a good Spider-man film. I'm glad they get to make another one.

Also Bob Odenkirk as Mysterio please!

Cipherr

Good. They clearly know what they are doing. Should be at 740m worldwide this weekend, and then will open in china where it has a chance at another 75+ million.

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Let's hope they don't fall into the Marvel sequel trap of the 2nd movie always being worse than the first (with the sole exception of Cap of course).

Mr-Joker

Banned
Good Homecoming is one of the Spider-Man movie period and I am glad to see that Marvel and Sony, especially Sony, working hard to keep the momentum going.

I do not want to see Sony doing another Spider-Man reboot for a long time, though hopefully the right will be back in Marvel hand and out of Sony by then.

Alienous

That scene was great and was a cool subversion of how these characters find out about each other. Keaton was terrific.

Absolutely. And having the Vulture being the owner of a criminal salvage operation (scavenging like vultures do), and not just some dude in a bird suit, was genius. It validated the existence of a formerly D-tier villain.

If they can do that for the Vulture they can do it for any Spider-Man character.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Why do people like Mysterio? Was he one of the better villains? I don't remember much about him from the comics. The various Goblins and Dr. Octopus always seemed more multi-faceted from what I can remember, but no one wants to see those guys pop up in a SM movie again.

giphy.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
Let's hope they don't fall into the Marvel sequel trap of the 2nd movie always being worse than the first (with the sole exception of Cap of course).

Guardians 2 was great as well (but whether it's better than the original or not will be a hot debate for a long time). I don't think we have to worry about that anymore.

They made a good Spider-man film. I'm glad they get to make another one.

Also Bob Odenkirk as Mysterio please!

I think Mysterio is the only correct choice for the sequel. Now that this new Spider-Man has been established, they can focus on another villain we've yet to see in live action.

Mysterio could lead to so many amazing set pieces and unique special effects. That, on top of the great high school stuff, could easily make for an awesome film.

Kevinroc

I would love to see Mysterio in live action. Not really eager to see Doc Ock just yet or especially another Goblin (except maybe Hobgoblin if they do it right.)

ZeoVGM

Banned
this may come as heresy around these parts but i'd be fine with them taking a crack at doc ock

They should eventually but definitely not yet. There are still great villains they haven't used at all yet, like Mystero and Kraven, which is needed to let audiences know that this is a fresh take on Spider-Man.

If Homecoming 2 uses the same exact villain as the original Spider-Man 2, that will be looked upon poorly.

Great news! I would love to see their take on some of Spidey's other villains (Kraven, Chameleon, etc), considering their reinvention of the Vulture.

They should eventually but definitely not yet. There are still great villains they haven't used at all yet, like Mystero and Kraven, which is needed to let audiences know that this is a fresh take on Spider-Man.

If Homecoming 2 uses the same exact villain as the original Spider-Man 2, that will be looked upon poorly.

You think? It's been nearly 15 years since SM2 came out. Molina was great, but I don't think anyone would really give a shit if they tried to do Doc Ock again.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I loved Homecoming. It's impressive how they made Spider-man feel interesting and fresh again not long after a failed reboot. It also had an amazing villain in the Vulture.

I actually believe it's one of, if not the best, superhero movie ever. That's how you friggin do a reinvention of a popular superhero franchise. It was top notch in just about every way.

sarcastor

Absolutely. And having the Vulture being the owner of a criminal salvage operation (scavenging like vultures do), and not just some dude in a bird suit, was genius. It validated the existence of a formerly D-tier villain. If they can do that for the Vulture they can do it for any Spider-Man character.

any character? Let's see if they can make Tarantula a credible villain. I mean, he's a dude with sharp pointy things on this feet. He's unbeatable!

Tarantula-Spider-Man-Marvel-Comics-Rodriquez-h4.jpg

Cuburt

Wasn't there like 6 different writers that touched the script for Homecoming?

I'm kind of neutral on the writers, but while I think Watts did a decent job (and I think he did great in pulling off the Toomes car scene, even most scenes with just 2 people talking like May and Peter or Peter and tony were done well) I don't really necessarily feel like he added enough to the equation to feel like I need him back to see what he can do for Spider-Man. I would even go as far as saying I wish they gave someone else a chance.

If for no other reason, the fight scenes were good, but they lacked a certain bombastic quality that have characterized all Spider-Man films, even the poor films. There was a real low-key sense to Spider-Man in his fights, and even his webswinging, that even getting someone else who can breathe a little more life into that area would be greatly appreciated. That's not even saying what Watts did was bad and I even think it may have been part of Sony/Marvel's mandate to make things as different as possible from the previous films by possibly wanting him to downplay aspects like webswinging, but I think even if you look at how the Russos directed Cap in TWS, his powerset is pretty low-key and grounded, but they did a great job at making you feel the impact of the fighting and there was a great sense of actions scenes that felt dynamic, even when they mostly amounted to lots of shield hits and throws.

Besides, if Sony is potentially screwing up the rest of the universe with these spin-offs, I want the very best Spider-Man we can possibly get under Marvel in the MCU while we can, and I feel that Watts just comes up a bit short. I know there will still be years of Spider-Man we can get with Holland, so maybe Watts deserves at least one more chance, but hey maybe Spider-Man having a different director every time is another approach they can have as well so we get different takes. Just keep the same writers, similar to what they've done with Captain America. Then eventually they may stumble on a winning director/writer combo like the Russos and Markus and McFeely that can carry the Spider-Man franchise wherever it needs to go. As much as I enjoyed The First Avenger, imagine if they were too scared to give the Russos a chance and stuck with Joe Johnston. We may have never gotten The Winter Soldier in the film that we got. I personally think they made the right call and I like Johnston as a director.

Sou Da

Why do people like Mysterio? Was he one of the better villains? I don't remember much about him from the comics. The various Goblins and Dr. Octopus always seemed more multi-faceted from what I can remember, but no one wants to see those guys pop up in a SM movie again.

He isn't terribly deep but neither was The Vulture, that's where the potential is.

Also he's a literally a movie effects themed villain.

Buckle

Oh come on.

I wanted a sequel to Clown, Watts. You're wasting your time with this Spider-Man stuff.

kidding aside, did enjoy that. On Netflix, give it a shot.

ZeoVGM

Banned
You think? It's been nearly 15 years since SM2 came out. Molina was great, but I don't think anyone would really give a shit if they tried to do Doc Ock again.

Spider-Man is still considered one of the best superhero films. If they do Doc Ock again, it will be looked at as unexciting when there are great villains that haven't been done at all yet and it will be consistently compared to Spider-Man 2 and Alfred Molina.

It would be a bad idea. There's simply better things they can do.

15 years later and they do the same villain, isnt that kinda wack?

Yeah, Mysterio would be the best pick for sure. I'd like to see Carnage or Kraven. Something completely antagonistic to Peter. I like when Spiderman has to be super athletic and aware to win.

Slayven

If they do another stinger like the second one, we will be fighting

any character? Let's see if they can make Tarantula a credible villain. I mean, he's a dude with sharp pointy things on this feet. He's unbeatable!

Tarantula-Spider-Man-Marvel-Comics-Rodriquez-h4.jpg

He does have poison that can kill a man in seconds

But only gave Spiderman a tummy ache for 20 minutes because of his healing factory,

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Good, it's my favourite movie of the year so far and the best superhero movie of the year.

So this is after Infinity War 2, right?

Spider-Man: Back In Black
The world is reeling after the death of several key Avengers, including Tony Stark, at the hands of Thanos. But crimes committed by supervillains are on the rise in Peter's neighborhood. When his suit gets trashed at the hands of Otto Octavius and his Sinister Six, Peter puts his faith in an alien substance that tagged along with the Guardians of the Galaxy. But could this new suit cause even more problems in the life of Peter Parker?

The Ultimate Spider-Man
It has been two years since Peter defeated the Sinister Six and rid himself of the black costume. New York seems to love their new protector- until local criminals start showing up dead in a serious of grizzly murders, with all evidence pointing to Spidey as the culprit. With Daily Bugle editor J. Jonah Jameson and NYPD Detective George Stacy determined to nail Spider-Man for these crimes, Peter must track down this venomous villain and clear his name once and for all.

Top Bottom