• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man wins IGN People's Choice Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. How an all-style and no-substance QTE-fest that has the privilege of falling back on some supposedly iconic superhero beat out what is guaranteed to be another genre (AND generation)-defining masterpiece from the company that inherently understands and gets what video games should all be about is just a slap in the face to anyone with a modicum of decent taste. People's choice? This just further proves that the people are salivating morons. Welcome to Trump's America.

Lol at the bitterness in this thread. Mario looks fantastic but there was nothing about Odyssey that made it look like it was significantly beyond what Sony and the third parties had for E3 this year.

I tend to disagree big time with this statement.

If anything, Sony didn't have anything beyond what Nintendo showcased with Mario in a 3min clip. The new mario game looked amazing, fresh and new. Sony showed Days Gone, another TPP zombie game, GOW another TPP game, Spider-Man another QTE game... and another TPP game. I mean my view is completely opposite to yours lol.

But Spider man does look amazing and will definitely get it but I'm shocked how mario got brought up in a thread about Spider-Man lmao I don't understand it

Well deserved...It looks like an open world game with a lot of character. I am happy Insomniac got a chance at making this...This could be their masterpiece.

Unbelievable. Just unbelievable. How an all-style and no-substance QTE-fest that has the privilege of falling back on some supposedly iconic superhero beat out what is guaranteed to be another genre (AND generation)-defining masterpiece from the company that inherently understands and gets what video games should all be about is just a slap in the face to anyone with a modicum of decent taste. People's choice? This just further proves that the people are salivating morons. Welcome to Trump's America.

The hell? What about those of us who like style, visuals, action packed gameplay, and a slickly present story?

scream

cooking+little+mermiad.gif

Dude wtf, relax.

cuate

Banned
Now that I see from the OP's link that Super Mario Odyssey actually won IGN's E3 Game of Show I can see how somehow this thread was condemned to that fate, even though the drive-by "SMO is better!" posters should have just made a thread about "Super Mario Odyssey wins IGN's E3 Game of Show" and kept this one clean from those comments.

Hell, they're still on time.

what a load of horseshit.

more people are raising a stink about "salty mario fans" than people actually being salty.

What does America have to do with a worldwide online fan poll?

Edit: Boo.

This was also my game of the show. I thought mario looked looked really dull and I wasn't sure what the game was as not a lot of classic platforming was shown. That city over world was boring and lifeless and if the platforming sections seamlessly flow in and out of the over world then great. But the platforming sections looked like they were just filler

I honestly would have gone with Odyssey, but I can see why Spider-Man won. I think people were already taken with Mario the first time it got revealed, while Spider-Man was a bigger impact this time around.

I can't tell if this is satire anymore

Congrats to Insomniac for making a game that looks excellent. Really looking forward to the release and I hope it heralds more high-quality superhero games, especially considering no-one yet has followed in Eidos/Square Enix & Rocksteady's wake since 2009!

Mario looks brilliant too, and honestly I would have been fine with either game getting the award.

Ask Link, Samus and Fox McCloud fans who their favorite Nintendo character is then ;)

If you ever attend a Comic-Con or an E3, you'll be surprised as to who you see dressed up as their favorite video game characters based on what you think is popular, or most popular.

I've seen far more people dressed up as the characters I mentioned than Mario. As a matter of fact, I see less Mario cosplay than even some Microsoft Mascots from the early 2000's, such as Blinx The Cat.

Sure, but this is why anecdotal experiences don't make for good evidence in an argument.

jts

...hate me...
what a load of horseshit.

more people are raising a stink about "salty mario fans" than people actually being salty.
Well, yes there are, because all it takes to derail a thread is a few bad posts that shouldn't be there to begin with.

Nintendo games win loads of awards and it's just as shitty when a few vocal haters come to disqualify them and piss on the parade. When a game wins an award there shouldn't be much else to say besides congratulating it.

Hell, I'm saying that SMO actually won the top IGN award for E3 so it looks even more stupid to come in here and knock this game down for winning a different award. Just live and let live.

Charamiwa

Banned
Huh, when I voted last week Mario was significantly ahead. I though it was a done deal.

Congrats Spider-Man on the come back!

LionPride

Banned
The QTEs were 30 seconds of a 9 minute video

Sit down somewhere and think about what the fuck you decide to type out sometimes also supposedly iconic? Even in years where there is nothing Spider-Man related in movies or games, he is the highest selling superhero property by a wide margin. The fact I'm on Gaming Side honestly makes me unable to tell if you're a troll or not and I'm betting you are with that Trump's America remark because it ain't that deep

Joey Ravn

Banned
This is why:

The best thing a Mario fan can hope for from Super Mario Odyssey is that it's fun. The best thing a Spider-Man fan can hope for from Marvel's Spider-Man is that it reinvents the formula and makes a game that's not only fun, but has an engaging story and most importantly, makes you actually feel like you're Spider-Man - unlike previous games in the series.

Very few players want to actually feel like Mario while playing a Mario game. It's just a fun way to pass the time by playing a simple 3D platformer made by a respected and legendary developer in the gaming world.

Here is Nintendo's biggest issue with the Mario games - the formula is always the same for the most part - Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach, Mario has to save her by going through crazy worlds and jumping on a myriad of platforms, collecting coins and negotiating a silly, but charming end boss that may induce some amount of tension amidst the mirth. Add to that, some crazy and wacky power-ups and the new addition this time is that you can throw your hat and possess enemies and NPC characters with it for reasons.

That's mainly why I'm not utterly enthralled or excited about this new Mario game, because it just seems like the same retreading of the old games with the ability to throw my hat.

I'm not trying to downplay a Mario game's charm, but I guarantee you that at least 95% of what I just said is the major makeup of Super Mario Odyssey.

Oh, and collecting moons.

I honestly don't know how to respond to any of this. And even if I did, I would be labelled a "salty Mario fan" and you'll want to put my face on that chef gif... So, well, you're right then. You can actually feel like Spider-Man in the game and Odyssey is just yet another Mario game that doesn't innovate in anything meaningful.

IGN got it wrong with their own award. They should have listened to the people.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
The QTEs were 30 seconds of a 9 minute video

Sit down somewhere and think about what the fuck you decide to type out sometimes also supposedly iconic? Even in years where there is nothing Spider-Man related in movies or games, he is the highest selling superhero property by a wide margin. The fact I'm on Gaming Side honestly makes me unable to tell if you're a troll or not and I'm betting you are with that Trump's America remark because it ain't that deep

🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣🎣

cuate

Banned
Well, yes there are, because all it takes to derail a thread is a few bad posts that shouldn't be there to begin with.

Nintendo games win loads of awards and it's just as shitty when a few vocal haters come to disqualify them and piss on the parade. When a game wins an award there shouldn't be much else to say besides congratulating it.

Hell, I'm saying that SMO actually won the top IGN award for E3 so it looks even more stupid to come in here and knock this game down for winning a different award. Just live and let live.

it's not actually an award. it's some stupid poll. literally no one in this thread is "salty" it won.

it's not actually an award. it's some stupid poll. literally no one in this thread is "salty" it won.

Ah, yes, it was only some stupid, non-award poll that the game won. No need to be salty, folks. It's meaningless. The only "award" that matters is the one IGN staff voted on.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

Is this serious or not? I can't tell anymore hahaha XD

Forkball

Spidey PS4 literally looks like Arkham but with the webslinger. I think it could be a good game for sure, but I was hoping they had a more interesting hook.

ajjow

God of War, Assassins Creed, Shadow of Mordor, Mario Odissey, Anthem.... everything seemed better than Spiderman.

Well, it shows how strong Spiderman brand is. Everything in spidey's game seemed like a big set piece taken from Uncharted Series.

By the way, Uncharted Lost Legacy seemed better than Spiderman.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Its not that its a cut and paste job, its just that its another Mario game. We know what Mario games are, we've played them and enjoyed them for decades. While this Spider-Man game is something new and something with untapped potential.

It will be interesting to see just how much different Spiderman's going to be compared to other AAA games or is it just another one of 'those' games but with a different skin.

Maxrunner

America really don't get enough superhero stuff huh...
Personally I'm so fed up of superhero movies that this would probably would fall into my last game position.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
it's pretty amazing that you guys can't handle a fucking user vote on a website about a video game without freaking out and embarassing all of us

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom