• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't Sony still own spider man?

Sony does not own Spider-Man. Marvel owns Spider-Man.

Sony Pictures retains the rights to Spider-Man, but has worked out a deal with Marvel to share the character within the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Sony does not, for example, own the rights to Spider-Man as a cartoon character, which is why the really, really good Spectacular Spider-Man died.

Lemondish

That was in 2005....

To be fair, if MS was able to get Ironman or Avengers license and get the crackdown studios or insomniac to make the game, there would be a lot of salty people as well.

Yeah, probably. Though I imagine it would be on both sides of the aisle in that case. Crackdown fans have been waiting for a sequel for years, so hearing that they'd be splitting their attention on a completely other game would probably piss them off just as much as the exclusive Marvel title.

By the way, what the hell happened to Crackdown?

Honestly I am sad it's exclusive, not trying to troll or whatever, but since Playstation isn't where I like to play games, if this turns out to be a masterpiece I'll never have the option to enjoy a game with my favorite superhero without getting a console that doesn't have a lot of value for me personally. Many people wouldn't be happy if the next Arkham game was exclusive to xbox or PC. I understand why Sony would do it, but it's just a bummer for fans of Spiderman that are outside of the playstation overlap. Guess I will have to own a PS4 just for this like I did with Bloodborne for eight months. I'm willing to do it but it's easy to understand why having to buy a console with a game just to play it and then sell the console you don't want and never get to play the great game again is frustrating.

The money and time you spent buying and reselling your PS4 only to buy it again could have just been spent on owning a PS4

Some Nobody

Honestly I am sad it's exclusive, not trying to troll or whatever, but since Playstation isn't where I like to play games, if this turns out to be a masterpiece I'll never have the option to enjoy a game with my favorite superhero without getting a console that doesn't have a lot of value for me personally. Many people wouldn't be happy if the next Arkham game was exclusive to xbox or PC. I understand why Sony would do it, but it's just a bummer for fans of Spiderman that are outside of the playstation overlap. Guess I will have to own a PS4 just for this like I did with Bloodborne for eight months. I'm willing to do it but it's easy to understand why having to buy a console with a game just to play it and then sell the console you don't want and never get to play the great game again is frustrating.

But...you had a PS4. And then you got rid of it. Even if you're a PC gamer you should probably have at least one console if you play a lot of games just for situations like this, and Playstation has never been a "bad" choice.

YEEEEEEEEEES!!!!!!!!!!

2016-06-1414_41_25-spvbkvh.png

Hm. That the next time we'll see it is PSX tells me there's a slight chance this is a 2018 game. 'Cause otherwise you could just slap a generic "2017" label on it when people ask about a release date.

What? Lol

Sucker Punch makes inFamous, this is Insomniac.

Yeah, I have confused myself this whole time.

Earlier I edited my post from insom to Sp .

I don't even understand why it's insom and not sp making it actually lol

Probably better off with insom than sp honestly since (those issues I said before) I hope SP can pull through something else besdies an open world game though. I am actually a little more interested in it to see if they can get some nice inside linear levels or ratchet flavored objectives.

Why is Spider-Man terrorizing that coffee shop? Stepping on people's coffee, causing a scene, and then breaking through that very wide window at the end. He could have just used the door you know. Those windows are really expensive and a pain to replace. Now the shop owner is going to have to go to the trouble of having it fixed while his coffee shop suffers from a drop in business and his employees call out of work from the traumatic experience.

That wall crawling menace must be stopped!!!

Wait, you bought a PS4 for Bloodborne and then sold it? Why would you sell it instead of just keeping it and using it rarely, since there was a possibility for exclusives like this/games you'd really really want to play?

Because people don't think ahead. It's the same reason why people who have the means not to live paycheck to paycheck still do so but then complain about it to their friends.

....why did you buy a PS4 and sell it?

I just want to keep coming in here every so often and say this was my game of the show.

It's been far too long since we've had a great Spider-Man game.

MaulerX

Doesn't Sony still own spider man?

They never owned Spiderman. They had exclusive rights to make Spiderman movies though. Until the recent deal to sort of "give back" so that Marvel can use him in their MCU. They still have the movie right with the exception that Marvel can use him and now has a say on how to use him.

Raptor

IS there any more footage around somewhere I missed?

want so watch some combat and traversing.

Any details? full on open world? sidemissions, collectibles? etc?

DieH@rd

Banned
On a side note, I'm absolutely in love with this shot:
o6c6wJI.gif

The camera angle, like I'd lose my mind having a shot like this in the movie visually, let alone whilst playing a Spider-Man game.

I still have trouble believing this is realtime. Look at the amount of people down there! It looks too good.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The parkour inside the coffee shop - does this mean certain windows/doors can be entered? I'm thinking Assassin's Creed: Unity and Snydicate style, but maybe even better. If so, that's pretty cool.

I was thinking the same thing...basically a free run button hold down.

That reminds me.

We really need to thank Sam Raimi.

He literally brought the first great Spidey to life - especially when it came to his swinging.

The swinging mechanics in Spidey games changed forever after the first film released. Give the man a nod.

Sony does not own Spider-Man. Marvel owns Spider-Man.

Sony Pictures retains the rights to Spider-Man, but has worked out a deal with Marvel to share the character within the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Sony does not, for example, own the rights to Spider-Man as a cartoon character, which is why the really, really good Spectacular Spider-Man died.
i was hoping this video game could play as a canon continuation of that cartoon :(

The God

very cool...although all the rumors pointed to sucker punch, not insomniac

so is this confirmed to be part of the sony-disney deal from last year involving the movies?

There never any credible rumors about Sucker Punch. People thought, "wouldn't it be cool if Sucker Punch made a Spider-Man game?" and ran with it for some reason.

I still have trouble believing this is realtime. Look at the amount of people down there! It looks too good.
It's not difficult to give the peeps crummy AI and flocking behaviour while 200 feet away.

LOD can easily be applied to AI and navigation, not just meshes and textures.

If Insomniac says it's the game running on PS4 then take it as gospel.

Some Nobody

IS there any more footage around somewhere I missed?

want so watch some combat and traversing.

Any details? full on open world? sidemissions, collectibles? etc?

Just the single trailer, and it's a full open-world. That's all they want to say about it right now. So now begins the ever so boring task of pretending a trailer is interesting enough to spend hours combing through for more details.

Check the authenticity of Twitter accounts before believing their claims peeps!

Hm. That twitter name does sound generic, so hopefully it's fake. Honestly there's no reason why they shouldn't be able to show more of this game next month at SDCC.

2017 is more likely because this:

3CwP7Gd.png

It's not connected to the movie so it could come out next year, or maybe not. i don't know--there's just something fishy about a company not being willing to use a date that could be anywhere from 7-18 months off.

Bear in mind: I'd love it to be this year, nevermind 2017. But every game I've really wanted this gen has gotten pushed into the following calendar year of its originally mentioned date.

Yes I have reason to doubt insomniac. Been on their A game do far this gen. Them getting something as big as spiderman I'd their chance to really shine. I'm excited

I can't stop myself from laughing when I see stuff like that.

fbde318b777e337a410c36228fcfd53f.png

Can we just agree that exclusives objectively suck by their nature in limiting audiences for cool titles? It's no different than exclusivity for VR or anything else. It sucks. It's why as a PC gamer I love that Microsoft is embracing the platform (Albeit in not the greatest way UWP) adding cross play etc. Platform Agnostic is good for consumers, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

I have a PS4, I love some of Sony's exclusives, but I definitely wish to see the great games on as many platforms as possible.

sense

2017 is more likely because this:

3CwP7Gd.png

yea personally think they are going to market it close to the release of the spiderman movie to maximize sales potential and make a big deal about it.

they have been very careful in saying this is not a movie tie-in but i can't imagine they would miss 2017 release and miss the opportunity to make his return to marvel universe a bigger deal

Can we just agree that exclusives kind of suck by the Nature they are limiting their audience? It's no different than exclusivity for VR or anything else. It sucks. It's why as a PC gamer I love that Microsoft is embracing the platform (Albeit in not the greatest way UWP) adding cross play etc. Platform Agnostic is good for consumers, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

Nope.

Exclusives are great for the creation of games.

Interesting. I can't imagine that every single of their upcoming games be PS4 exclusive so in a way it's kind of weird that this is. But hey, it was probably a deal Sony worked out in order to have Marvel take him back for it's MCU.
Highly doubt all their games will be exclusive. Spiderman was most definitely a special case as others pointed out

Hm. That the next time we'll see it is PSX tells me there's a slight chance this is a 2018 game. 'Cause otherwise you could just slap a generic "2017" label on it when people ask about a release date.

Not necessarily. For example, both SSM and Bend didn't want to give release dates, but both projects are pretty far along and I'm betting both are (supposed to be) 2017 games.

Not to say I wouldn't be surprised if any of these games slipped to 2018.

jaypah

I can't believe that was realtime running on vanilla PS4. Shit was beautiful. It's times like this that make me happy to have a PS4 still. I may not have a need for it often but when I do its usually for a really good reason.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
Yeah, I have confused myself this whole time.

Earlier I edited my post from insom to Sp .

I don't even understand why it's insom and not sp making it actually lol

Probably better off with insom than sp honestly since (those issues I said before) I hope SP can pull through something else besdies an open world game though. I am actually a little more interested in it to see if they can get some nice inside linear levels or ratchet flavored objectives.

Lol people corrected you many times in the other thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom