• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman (PS4 Exclusive) from Insomniac

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is Spider-Man terrorizing that coffee shop? Stepping on people's coffee, causing a scene, and then breaking through that very wide window at the end. He could have just used the door you know. Those windows are really expensive and a pain to replace. Now the shop owner is going to have to go to the trouble of having it fixed while his coffee shop suffers from a drop in business and his employees call out of work from the traumatic experience.

Can you blame Spidey? Probably all perked up, has the caffeine jitters and is LITERALLY bouncing off the walls.

sense

i mean a new Thor game by the god of war team would be a no brainer right :). maybe tease it at the end of god of war.

overcast

Looks awesome and there is a ton of potential with Insomniac and a big budget behind it.

Really hoping this can feel as inspiring as Arkham did when I first played it. Also think it would be cool to have some Peter Parker gameplay. Bully-like.

Sucker Punch should do an open world game with someone like Hawkeye, Captain America or Black Panther.
A Hawkeye game, inspired by Fration and Aja's run would be best.

1350958679712942181.PNG

Hawkeye's off-duty adventures in New York City.

The money and time you spent buying and reselling your PS4 only to buy it again could have just been spent on owning a PS4

Seriously.

The Ps4 has built an extensive line up of great exclusive titles. The it only has bloodborne argument is so fucking stupid at this point.

In fact two of my most awaited games are exclusive, Nioh and GR2.

The God

Can we just agree that exclusives objectively suck by their nature in limiting audiences for cool titles? It's no different than exclusivity for VR or anything else. It sucks. It's why as a PC gamer I love that Microsoft is embracing the platform (Albeit in not the greatest way UWP) adding cross play etc. Platform Agnostic is good for consumers, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

I have a PS4, I love some of Sony's exclusives, but I definitely wish to see the great games on as many platforms as possible.

Why doesn't this discussion ever come up for PC exclusives?

derExperte

Go back and read the threads about the initial XCOM2 announcement. And it should be obvious why no one will question why Hearts of Iron IV won't get a console version. Though we had a discussion about Civilization (the real ones) last week.

icespide

Banned
I try to look at exclusive games as "games that would not exist unless the platform holder made it happen", not "the platform holder made it so this game won't be available on other platforms"

except for the ROTTR timed deal, that was complete horseshit

It does for me. I'm a PC gamer, and I'd like to see more of the "PC" exclusive games come to PS4 and Xbox as well. But the sad fact is games that are traditionally PC only really do not seem to appeal to console players enough to be worth it.

Games like the Xcom EU didn't do very well on console. Hence why Xcom 2 was PC exclusive.

Something like Total War the CPU isn't strong enough to support, and the controls aren't conducive (I don't see why they couldn't add M/K support like FFXIV did though.)

The point being, a 4x game will sell like shit on PS4, while this would sell quite well on the PC.

I get the realities, and I'm not port begging. I was just saying I understand the sentiment that people were making fun of and questioning why people are for "exclusivity" when I'd argue it's a bad thing for consumers in general.

TheRed

Wait, you bought a PS4 for Bloodborne and then sold it? Why would you sell it instead of just keeping it and using it rarely, since there was a possibility for exclusives like this/games you'd really really want to play?

why do you have to sell it? ...

The money and time you spent buying and reselling your PS4 only to buy it again could have just been spent on owning a PS4

But...you had a PS4. And then you got rid of it. Even if you're a PC gamer you should probably have at least one console if you play a lot of games just for situations like this, and Playstation has never been a "bad" choice.

Hm. That the next time we'll see it is PSX tells me there's a slight chance this is a 2018 game. 'Cause otherwise you could just slap a generic "2017" label on it when people ask about a release date.

....why did you buy a PS4 and sell it?
I see what you guys are saying when I could've just kept the PS4 but I'm not dumb I actually intended to but then after having it sit there for about 8 months with me having no motivation to turn it on except when I played some Bloodborne I decided it was wasteful to keep it when I kept playing all my games on my PC instead. Sold it to a friend that would make much better use of it. The money from selling helped me get things that were more important to me, like upgrading my PC further. I obviously didn't expect Spiderman to be something that would be coming with a great looking exclusive game. Anyway I know it's this way because Sony has big involvement in it happening but I just wish Marvel could've done it with Insomniac on all platforms since they had already been making multi platform games and Spiderman is huge to everyone on different platforms.

I don't expect many of the rest of Marvel's new games push like Telltale's Batman and whatever else comes in the future to be exclusive to anything because being multi platform allows to maximize the audience. But Spiderman is because of Sony. Maybe they'll be more exclusive Marvel games to Xbox and PC in the future and I'm wrong that it'll be only for Spiderman but if that happens too I wouldn't be happy that lots of people are left out for those as well.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
really? outside of a few posts here and there I haven't really noticed much salt

Far more than what I'd expect for a Marvel/super hero game, tbh. But then again I personally don't get the fascination with superheroes, it always seemed like something that was far more popular in the US than here in Europe when I grew up in the 80s/90s.

melkier33

The telltale game was mentioned like 2 years ago people just forgot I guess. Also If SP had a marvel game I think Moon Knight would fit SP Style very well.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I LOST MY BALEWWWWWWWNNNN

As someonw who worked QA on Spider-Man 2 back in the day at Activision, just the word balloon gives me PTSD. I hated that kid so much. We worked 8-12 hour days, often 6 days a week on that game. Hearing "My balloon!" hundreds of times a day. Maddening.

Speaking of Spider-Man 2, that game was well and truly awful in terms of game design. The swinging mechanic was excellent, but everything else about that game is absolutely horrible. Graphics aside, the narrative is average, and doesn't manage to capture the charm of Spider-Man 2, the movie, and the rest of the game is full of filler. The combat is ok, but the world is sterile and lifeless. All of the Activision Spider-Man games are medicore to awful, and this is the first time Spider-Man fans are getting a game that is worthy of them. Spider-Man 2 was the first game I ever did QA on, so it holds a special place in my heart (and I still own a copy, like most of the games I've worked on), but it was not a good game.

I'm so ecstatic that Insomniac is doing this one. A Spider-Man game that may actually be worthy of the character. What a mind-blowing thought. I was actually whining to my wife a few months back about how I wished Marvel would make a real Spider-Man game that actually does justice to the character. And well, here we are. I hope Activision continues to stay far, far away from Spider-Man, and Marvel games in general. It's going to be nice to have people praising a Spider-Man game that's actually awesome. Web swinging mechanic can only get you so far. Having an actual game underneath that mechanic is going to be amazing. Spectacular, even. Ultimate! Web of...no, that doesn't work at all.

Can we just agree that exclusives objectively suck by their nature in limiting audiences for cool titles? It's no different than exclusivity for VR or anything else. It sucks. It's why as a PC gamer I love that Microsoft is embracing the platform (Albeit in not the greatest way UWP) adding cross play etc. Platform Agnostic is good for consumers, there's no doubt in my mind about that.

I have a PS4, I love some of Sony's exclusives, but I definitely wish to see the great games on as many platforms as possible.

It's not true, though, because most exclusive games exist due to the very fact that they are exclusive. Microsoft may be shifting this slightly, but it's only supporting Windows because it has a stake in that platform, too.

Platform agnostic is not good for consumers because most of the games you want to be platform agnostic wouldn't even get made if they were.

est1992

So happy Marvel is expanding into the AAA gaming space with full force. Maybe WB/DC will feel the competition and get their stuff together and make something other than a Batman game for once.

This was my favorite part of the conference, it would be amazing if more publishers/developers took licensed properties more seriously. Insomniac being the developer is a huge statement.

Yes I have reason to doubt insomniac. Been on their A game do far this gen. Them getting something as big as spiderman I'd their chance to really shine. I'm excited
Wut!

I hate autocorrect too. Changing common words to other common words lol.

But you meant no/little[/] reason to doubt, yes?

I can never NOT re-read my post once posted. I notice so many people don't...

Marvel and Telltale.

That's weird. TellTale is working on a Batman game. Its surprising to me marvel would put their IP's at the same company their major competitor is using.

It's just business.
I see it like Apple using Samsung components for their phones or Microsoft paying for Blu Ray.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I really like the trailer, and is that the Spider Man theme in the trailer too, sounds epic.

Slaythe

It does for me. I'm a PC gamer, and I'd like to see more of the "PC" exclusive games come to PS4 and Xbox as well. But the sad fact is games that are traditionally PC only really do not seem to appeal to console players enough to be worth it.

Games like the Xcom EU didn't do very well on console. Hence why Xcom 2 was PC exclusive.

Something like Total War the CPU isn't strong enough to support, and the controls aren't conducive (I don't see why they couldn't add M/K support like FFXIV did though.)

The point being, a 4x game will sell like shit on PS4, while this would sell quite well on the PC.

I get the realities, and I'm not port begging. I was just saying I understand the sentiment that people were making fun of and questioning why people are for "exclusivity" when I'd argue it's a bad thing for consumers in general.

Absolute lie.

Exclusive push developers and constructors to push themselves beyond comfort, we're getting a mind blowing Zelda, a mind blowing Spiderman, Scalebound etc...

You need exclusives to define your console, and you need exclusives to keep offering unique experiences. Because they try to make them as good as possible to sell a console.

That Spiderman game would never be remotely as good if it were multi platform, it's a fact.

C-Drive

do you guys think this will be a One-Game Deal/Contract? Or Sony having the controll over the IP now in the Gaming Section

I bet Marvel won't be handing out "license is exclusive for x years" deals anymore, but finding where things work best and doing one off licenses with options for sequels based on game performance.

That Spiderman game would never be remotely as good if it were multi platform, it's a fact.

So true.

derExperte

We don't even know yet how good it is. And we will never know how good it would've been as a multiplatform. Facts are things you can actually prove.

Quality of content aside, a platform holder led exclusive will always have the upper hand in almost every way during development.

There is no getting around this.

In theory that all sounds nice, lots of buzzwords and pies in the sky, in practice quiet a few exclusives get mishandled, they're becoming more rare for good reasons and 1st party studios go bust. It's absurd to imply only they push the hardware or are the pinnacle of creativity and I have a hard time buying the argument that all those games wouldn't exist otherwise. Some maybe but I mean we're talking about Spider-Man here, not a particularly innovative new IP. And we're living in a world where the Arkham games did perfectly fine.

We don't even know yet how good it is. And we will never know how good it would've been as a multiplatform. Facts are things you can actually prove.
Exclusives led by platform holders usually have a LOT more investment than flat multiplatform games, giving devs more resources to play with.

Every platform holder has its own set of rules and while they can be bent, usually aren't. This will help devs with freedom of creativity with a singular set of rules.

Focusing on a single piece of hardware gives devs more room to breathe, better methods of testing, bug reporting, refactoring and flat out allows all devs to give full attention to the game vs spreading them out between teams for multiple platforms.

Access to specialized tools you can use just for that platform.

Quality of content aside, a platform holder led exclusive will always have the upper hand in almost every way during development.

diaspora

Absolute lie.

Exclusive push developers and constructors to push themselves beyond comfort, we're getting a mind blowing Zelda, a mind blowing Spiderman, Scalebound etc...

You need exclusives to define your console, and you need exclusives to keep offering unique experiences. Because they try to make them as good as possible to sell a console.

Eh, I don't know. It'd be more interesting to see how it'd perform on actually good hardware.

Exclusives led by platform holders usually have a LOT more investment than flat multiplatform games, giving devs more resources to play with.

Every platform holder has its own set of rules and while they can be bent, usually aren't. This will help devs with freedom of creativity with a singular set of rules.

Focusing on a single piece of hardware gives devs more room to breathe, better methods of testing, bug reporting, refactoring and flat out allows all devs to give full attention to the game vs spreading them out between teams for multiple platforms.

Access to specialized tools you can use just for that platform.

You could do what SE does with TR, just have another team do the other console version. Just ya know, release them at the same time lol...

You could do what SE does with TR, just have another team do the other console version. Just ya know, release them at the same time lol...
Or you could, you know, dedicate that other team and resources to the single platform.

That's the point, if you missed any of my post.

i'm pretty stoked insomniac is on this, i know they'll do it justice. i hope there are some darker storylines in the game.... maybe some kraven/venom/etc. stuff. Spiderman has such a great rogue gallery, i hope they capitalize on the opportunity and turn this into marvels version of rocksteady/batman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom