• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SpikeTV VGA 10 to be hosted by Samuel L. Jackson, Sneak Peak at Next-Gen.

Duffyside

Banned
Why is it that the VGAs have more reveals than E3?

Time of year and television audience (or people's prejudgments and assumptions about the size of the television audiences at both).

Time of year more than the other, though. The biggest games come out in the fall (and then half are pushed to February, these days), and the publishers want to start the hype for their games a good year in advance. Four or five months isn't quite the same, and neither is seventeen. About twelve is ideal, to them.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Dubbed the "Oscars for Videos Games" by The Los Angeles Times & The Washington Post,

I think LA Times and the Washington Post are just trolling the video games industry here

Duffyside

Banned
It'll be shit again, just wait for Gametrailers to upload the trailers instead.

I still remember (and just watched) the Jose Gonzalez performance for the Red Dead Redemption segment two years ago, for which it was worth watching the entire event all by itself. It was so well-done, it doesn't even seem like it was possible to be part of such a shitty event.

Spike, Geoff (if you can) - this direction. These are the types of things you should be doing.

For us Canadians, the VGA's are MMVA's of videogames. nobody gives a fuck.
KuGsj.gif

except for the rare exclusives.
lol it's true

BY2K

Membero Americo
i don't care about anything between the trailers/game reveals.

last year we got The Last of Us and Metal Gear Rising by Platinum Games. Those two megatons shit on E3 2012.

Star Wars 1313 and Watch_Dogs beat those for me.

At least now we don't have to wait until they air to realize that they lied about taking it seriously this time. The whole thing is an embarrassment.

Globox_82

Banned
"Sam is a gamer, an icon and one badass host," said Casey Patterson

Everyone is a gamer these days.

I couldn't care less about VGA but I'll give it to them for at least having great trailers.....sometimes.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Fair enough.

Nintendo's conference and the tea bagging cancel each other out.

Not that Nintendo's Conference this year was good, but it certainly wasn't "teabagging the people you give awards to" bad. Or E3 2008 bad.

I was genuinely scared they'd try to teabag Miyamoto if he had taken too long when he received his award.

I'm sure something else cancels it, though. Like Girl Boner or something like that.

Recarpo

It could be so good if they just make it more professional and less skits and jokes that are supposed to appeal to the stereotypical gamer. Lots of great personalities in the industry, let them talk and don't have some ridiculous guy dressed up as a soldier teabag game devs on stage.

Codeblue

It could be so good if they just make it more professional and less skits and jokes that are supposed to appeal to the stereotypical gamer. Lots of great personalities in the industry, let them talk and don't have some ridiculous guy dressed up as a soldier teabag game devs on stage.

Looks like they took your advice. They're really going to turn it around this year with great industry personalities such as Jack Black from Brutal Legend, Weezer from some Tony Hawk game probably, and Eva Mendes from that one game you never heard of.

Zeal

Banned
"Next-gen" will be 30 seconds of random UE4 tech demo bullshit.

God am I ready to see Durango. Come the fuck on already.

Ryan_IGN

It's "peek," Spike. Sneak PEEK.

(I'll presume the OP of this thread was just copying/pasting from Spike's grammar-challenged source post.)

</editor mode>

Jawmuncher

Let's hope they can cut out the shitty jokes like the tea bagging from last year.

It's been said numerous times, but they need to make the show about the rewards and reveals.

I could care less about some famous person up on stage blabbering some nonsense.
My biggest gripe is how for some awards they just hand them out, oh hey hears your reward now go away.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Holy shit, next-gen at VGA, that in itself warrants the way-ahead-of-time publicity. It also gives developers enough time to iron-out the kinks in a demo. Should be good. Anybody else wanna see Samuel in character à la Shaft?

I have peaked my excitement. Take of that what you will.

SMT

this show is not Breaking Bad why is it not Breaking Bad? it should be Breaking Bad dammit Breaking Bad
Nice, can't wait. They have some great reveals on that show.

Some cynical people in here. Yeesh.

Darknessbear, who do you believe will be the Darknesshorse of this showing?

Izick

Will likely watch it. I know it's shit, but they had some really great announcements. I am part of the problem.

ari

Banned
i don't see where all the hate is coming from... this is turning into the next e3, hate it or love it but this is fact. There were more titles premiered there then any other geek get-together. Plus the internet didn't spoiled shit until the taping...yea, i like this, not some bias bullshit website that is only looking for hits. All shitty gaming website awards are one in the same anyway.

Let this be the official award show voted by the press. (not spike)

Will likely watch it. I know it's shit, but they had some really great announcements. I am part of the problem.

gaf is part of the problem.

SMT

Felicia Day will throw glowing blue sticky tennis balls at guys in Master Chief costumes to score points

Felicia Day is also childhood friends with Greg Kasavin, she is very vocal about her role in the gaming industry. Can we also call her mischievous? Would you tap that? Master Chief is not very good at the culinary arts, which is why he should stick to firing rayballs.

I have never come in contact with sticky tennis balls before, Felicia Day has nice hair.

For me, the Darkhorse would be Wii-U, and Zeruda U demo HD goodness.

spats

For such a high profile event, these have always been horribly awkward, borderline unwatchable for me. Neil Patrick Harris was one of the worst hosts ever, almost worse than this year's Ubisoft E3 host.

AAK

Why is it that the VGAs have more reveals than E3?

Gametrailers pay $$$ to publishers to reveal their stuff at VGA's.

Publishers pay $$$ to ESA to reveal stuff at E3.

Which one gets more money to the publisher? VGA's. Which one reaches the most people? Both since it'll be uploaded to youtube moments after anyway.

What's the advantage of E3 reveals from a publisher point of view when they can just hold back and get some extra funding from the media for an exclusive reveal instead?

Sentenza

None of that gaming gimmicks/bullshit needs to happen. More professional stuff.
But it won't happen.
Watch the BAFTA, instead.
Not a transcendent experience, but a hell lot better than VGA, and they give credit to actual developers, praise the creative effort and let them speak, they don't pretend that games are some sort of magic fratboy essence materializing into your Xbox as cool shit, like Spike TV.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
My favorite VGAs hosting moments was still Neil Patrick Harris being disgusted that he won the best voice actor award while hosting. That and his general disgust at what he ended up having to host.

and this year, "VGA Ten" will provide a sneak peak of the next generation of gaming.

10 second teaser. 3 seconds fade in, then a shaky cam sequence from the game, which lasts 3 seconds and the other 4 seconds are for the title and developer. Plus, some heavy dubstep or Inception horn as background noise.

Riposte

Watch the BAFTA, instead.
Not a transcendent experience, but a hell lot better than VGA, and they give credit to actual developers, praise the creative effort and let them speak, they don't pretend that games are some sort of magic fratboy essence materializing into your Xbox as cool shit, like Spike TV.

SpikeTV - a pig in shit
BAFTA - a pig in shit wearing a suit

The second seems worse, if only by a diminutive amount.

Top Bottom