• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT covers Geoff Keighley's The Game Awards move to independent and online.

Microsoft is in the gaming industry and stands to gain from maximum exposure at an awards ceremony that, for all intents and purposes it's hosting. Just seems a tad shady to me but I could be wrong.

Microsoft are a huge company who have a bunch of different aspects to their business and just happen to have naming rights for this particular venue, I don't see it being "shady", if its the most suitable venue for the event then I think for Geoff and TGAs that is the most important thing

There is a committee with all of the big publishers on-board... if it was such an issue I'm sure someone would have brought it up. Perhaps if it was the Xbox Theatre with massive Xbox ads and Phil Spencer's face plastered everywhere it would be a bit different

Good article. But there better be a fucking Zelda demo again after nothing for a year, or there'll be infinite hell to pay.

HEAR ME AONUMA?!

DO YOU HEAR ME!?!?!

DO YOU HEAR ME EIJI AONUMA?!?

DO YOU HEAR ME?

EIJI???

EIJI DO YOU HEAR ME?

Right there with you, buddy. Nintendo has been pissing me off with their deafening silence about Zelda Wii U.

They aren't going to show any NX games until they've unveiled the system.

Please don't start this shit. The game is still in development for Wii U. Worst case scenario, NX gets an enhanced version.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Wow, I didn't realize he spent that much. It was a great show that had a huge impact on the years. The music, the announcements, and so forth. I'm really hoping to see another one this year.

I didn't realize he was so rich. :)

Microsoft is in the gaming industry and stands to gain from maximum exposure at an awards ceremony that, for all intents and purposes it's hosting. Just seems a tad shady to me but I could be wrong.

Yes, exposure is exactly why company's like MS pay for naming rights. It's like saying it's "shady" that Sony get's maximum exposure from having their name and logo plastered all over the Champions League. It's not shady, it's the entire reason they do it.

Tobor

Right there with you, buddy. Nintendo has been pissing me off with their deafening silence about Zelda Wii U.

Please don't start this shit. The game is still in development for Wii U. Worst case scenario, NX gets an enhanced version.

Come on. You know it's true. Don't blame me for stating the obvious.

Granjinha

Can't wait for the teasers to start appearing. Last year had some amazing indie games revealed, can't see it being any different this year.

“We reinvented the award show model for a young audience in way that I never thought possible,” Mr. Keighley, 37, said.

I don't know, I prefer BAFTA making the award show lean to an older demographic that's more in line with the actual buying demographic i.e. 30s. That's how they can do lifetime tributes or remind us of the history of videogames by mentioning retro games and people still know what they're going on about.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
XYhaPDL.jpg

I still think back to the Imagine Dragons/Koji Kondo performance. It fit the night perfectly.

SpotAnime

I had no idea Keighley was fucking loaded.

Yeah, that's the main takeaway I got from this article. That's gotta be IMAX money, no way did he amass that kinda dough from GameTrailers and Doritos ads...erm...editorial content. If he did, then Gertsmann is a billionaire.

In all seriousness, good on him. Last year's show was fantastic and I've been waiting all year for this year's show.

Until there is evidence suggesting it, I'm not going to believe it.

Nintendo fans are notorious for jumping to conclusions when they get impatient due to Nintendo's secrecy. They're almost always proven wrong because of it.

There's no reason not to release the game on both systems. More money for them, and they avoid pissing off their loyal customers. Iwata was very clear in stating that Nintendo is aiming to transition Wii U owners over to its successor, and that cannot happen if Nintendo is unable to gain/maintain the trust of their customers.

He gets a lot of hate here but Keighley is one of the true faces for Video Game Journalism, especially when it comes to pushing the envelope forward.

Vibranium

Banned
Oh man, I keep forgetting the awards are so close, Geoff may sound like a bit of a shill sometimes but he seems like a nice guy who's overall likeable.. Since it's showing at the MS theater I really really really hope we finally get to see Recore gameplay as well.

Well, Geoff's mainly a host, not a journalist. He really didn't deserve any of the hate he got, the guy has valuable industry connections and promotes stuff.

The money they have invested seems like the return on a WiiU version would never pay back. Instead using the game as leverage to get people to buy the NX seems like the most likely direction.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Dayum, Geoff be bankin'

Can't wait for these awards, good luck to Geoff and I hope he gets even more success.

Top Bottom