• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT covers Geoff Keighley's The Game Awards move to independent and online.

entremet

The video game industry, too, had its awards moment on the small screen with a glitzy event called the Video Game Awards that Spike TV broadcast live on its cable channel for a decade. The actor Samuel L. Jackson hosted the show in 2012, and the reality television maestro Mark Burnett produced it.

But then Spike, which has tried to make its programming less male-centric in recent years, seemed to waver in its support for the show. In 2013, the network scaled the event back, streaming it live over the Internet and whittling it down to a one-hour broadcast that replayed on the cable channel days later. Spike invited the host and producer of the awards show, Geoff Keighley, to do the online event again in 2014. A Spike TV spokesman declined to comment.

Mr. Keighley, a longtime games journalist and television personality, declined Spike’s offer. Instead, he did something that would have been unthinkable just a few years ago: He created his own independent game awards show without a television partner, streaming it entirely over the Internet. The show included ways for viewers to click on ads and download games in real time.

“We reinvented the award show model for a young audience in way that I never thought possible,” Mr. Keighley, 37, said.

The show — called, simply, the Game Awards — is now the closest thing the games business has to its own Oscars. The second Game Awards show will take place Dec. 3 at the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles, where Mr. Keighley is expecting about 4,000 attendees, compared with 3,500 last year. He projects that the Internet audience will be more than the two million who watched in 2014. While game companies were the only advertisers last year, he has nabbed Verizon as one of the sponsors this year.

The event is a tribute to the tenacity of Mr. Keighley, who risked more than $1 million of his savings to finance the first show last year. It also reflects the hunger among games publishers for the critical recognition that can spark sales of their products during the all-important shopping season in the final weeks before Christmas.

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/...t-and-online-with-the-video-game-awards/?_r=0

I enjoyed last year's show. The internet format was well done and the flow was much better the Spike productions.

The production should be tighter this year as that was first show, but I was impressed overall.

Hopefully, it can be profitable for Geoff as well. Didn't know he risked so much financially.

Oh man, I keep forgetting the awards are so close, Geoff may sound like a bit of a shill sometimes but he seems like a nice guy who's overall likeable.. Since it's showing at the MS theater I really really really hope we finally get to see Recore gameplay as well.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So it's again the same weekend as the PlayStation Experience.

Excellent.

Can't wait for new Zelda U footage.
please

The Game Awards last year were a huge improvement over anything done with Spike. Very happy for Geoff and hope he does well with the new format foing forward. It's nice to see an award show treat the industry with respect.

Oh man, I keep forgetting the awards are so close. Since it's showing at the MS theater I really really really hope we finally get to see Recore gameplay.

Doesn't sound good about seeing it this year: https://twitter.com/xboxp3/status/661593993210269696

XboxP3: @Crypt0ll7 @pengy_gamer @fcruzsierra You'll see a lot more of ReCore in 2016, I watched team play last week, great progress.

Although hopefully an event held at a venue called the Microsoft Theatre will have them show something at least this year.

I just wanna see Zelda. That shitty off-screen footage from last year was completely unacceptable.

Please don't let me down, Nintendo.

Last year's was probably the best one yet, so I am glad to see it working out for him. This year should be pretty good from a competitive standpoint with the quality releases this year plus I am hoping for some post Konami Kojima appearances^^

Guymelef

The Game Awards last year were a huge improvement over anything done with Spike. Very happy for Geoff and hope he does well with the new format foing forward. It's nice to see an award show treat the industry with respect.

Sorry, nothing beats Jessica Alba announcing Dark Souls II.

Geoff really did a great job last year. Some snags, but nothing that can't be ironed out in later shows. Can't wait to see what he'll put on this time.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Mr. Keighley, who risked more than $1 million of his savings to finance the first show last year.

Shit, I knew he was putting money on the line, but not 1 freaking million. Geoff, you have my infinite respect. You're awesome.

EDIT: Any Iwata tribute would kill me. I hope they do it.

So it's not making Spring in other words. Not really suprising but kinda disappointing. Probably something about Gears 4 or something else is in store.
Phantom Dust please

Well Spring ends just after E3 next year... I think the game will definitely be at that show but they will start ramping it up early next year and perhaps it'll release in the summer if it is delayed.

Sunset Overdrive wasn't shown off until May (despite the E3 2013 announcement) and launched in late October of the same year which was 5 months~, perhaps they have something similar planned

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The event is a tribute to the tenacity of Mr. Keighley, who risked more than $1 million of his savings to finance the first show last year.

Say what you will about Doritos Pope, but he deserves some mad respect for that commitment to making an ideal gaming awards show.

Isn't having a gaming awards show at the Microsoft Theater kind of a questionable decision?

Not everyone using the Walt Disney Concert Hall is invested in Disney things.

Mory Dunz

Zelda?

Pft, you'll get Xenoblade Lyn's face in a 30 second slo mo-close up whilst Swano music with vocals is blasting in your ears

Not to overdo it, but I hope they have something for Iwata.

I think this is an appropriate Avenue for that sort of thing, and he has shown reverence in the past for Nintendo history and creators (last last year's musical tribute), so I would like to see something as well.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The show last year was very good I think. Excited for this year's show, didn't realise we are so close already.

I'd imagine we won't see much PlayStation stuff there. There was a thing or two PlayStation related last year due to both The Game Awards and PSX happening on the same weekend at the same venue.

Also, I see Microsoft purchased naming rights for the (formerly Nokia named) theater. I wonder if that means that will be their E3 Conference venue from now on. Pretty convenient location for them (and journalists covering it) if that's the case.

entremet

The article says Spike is moving away from the male demographic, but then I visit their site and it's MMA stuff, COPS reruns, Nissan GT Academy, and so on.

Wut?!

rabhw

I think this is an appropriate Avenue for that sort of thing, and he has shown reverence in the past for Nintendo history and creators (last last year's musical tribute), so I would like to see something as well.

Yeah, given what they did last year to honour Ken and Roberta Williams, it seems like focusing on key industry individuals is something he's looking to do. He even said as much in his recent interview on the Game Informer podcast.

Fingers crossed there's something special in the works.

Not

Banned
Good article. But there better be a fucking Zelda demo again after nothing for a year, or there'll be infinite hell to pay.

HEAR ME AONUMA?!

DO YOU HEAR ME!?!?!

DO YOU HEAR ME EIJI AONUMA?!?

DO YOU HEAR ME?

EIJI???

EIJI DO YOU HEAR ME?

televator

Gotta hand it to Geoff. Turned the show into something worth watching for great moments rather than straight up embarrassing ones.

Bgamer90

Banned
I'm looking forward to it. Last year's show was pretty solid (though a bit too long). Definitely felt that Geoff took the VGA criticisms to heart.

Major respect for him risking so much money to do something that was more than likely impossible with Spike/Viacom executives breathing down his back.

I'd be shocked if they get any Zelda footage.

I think it's pretty fair to say that we were all shocked that they were even able to procure any Zelda footage at all for last year's awards, yet somehow they managed to pull it off, even though the game was even earlier in development. Considering the circumstances, I find the chances of Zelda showing up at the game awards to be quite high.

Sou Da

The article says Spike is moving away from the male demographic, but then I visit their site and it's MMA stuff, COPS reruns, Nissan GT Academy, and so on.

Wut?!
By that all they really mean is that they've stopped being explicit with it. No more "TV for men".

BY2K

Membero Americo
Microsoft is in the gaming industry and stands to gain from maximum exposure at an awards ceremony that, for all intents and purposes it's hosting. Just seems a tad shady to me but I could be wrong.

They didn't even show anything or announced anything, last year.

I don't think this is gonna come into play.

Top Bottom