• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 doesn't ask me for more money.

Something relevant to the point of the thread? In your own words, what are you gleaming exactly from OP's post?
Is what I said not relevant to the thread? I don't recall being forced to pay for amiibo. Which was a response to the thread by the first post.

I'm not allowed to agree with the OP?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Splatoon 2 is asking me to buy a whole new console to play it. No reason this game couldn't have also had a Wii U port, if BOTW can run fine on a Wii U. Also the online is only "free" for the next few months.
Man some of you guys are really trying hard to come up with those arguments lol ... I applaud the effort.

And lol at Amiibos being mentioned.

"It's refreshing to have a game that doesn't ask you for more money"
"But amiibo"
"It's different. I love to spend money on amiibo. Shut up"

Tell me that forced you to pay for a microtransaction or you couldn't continue to play.
Huh???

I don't understand. I'm not being forced to pay for amiibo. I don't get the gadget or costume but I can still play. Overwatch is the same. I don't have to buy loot boxes but I can if I want to. The only items that I can get is the Origins skins and the 2016 Blizzcon Bastion.

I think I'm missing something that's super obvious to everyone but me.
Stop ruining his narrative, you meanie.
Thanks. I feel safer now. I was about to go hug my amiibo and cry myself to sleep.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Huh???

I don't understand. I'm not being forced to pay for amiibo. I don't get the gadget or costume but I can still play. Overwatch is the same. I don't have to buy loot boxes but I can if I want to. The only items that I can get is the Origins skins and the 2016 Blizzcon Bastion.

I think I'm missing something that's super obvious to everyone but me.

Thanks. I feel safer now. I was about to go hug my amiibo and cry myself to sleep.
Heh, I just took my Bayonetta Amiibo to bed ;)

Typically games with microtransactions are meant to last 5 - 10 years. Nintendo will make sequels to Splatoon.
It will probably be 5 years until a sequel to Splatoon 2. Like Mario Kart and Smash Bros, Splatoon is really only a once a system release and will continue to sell well the system's entire life.

I actually feel like they should sell the amiibo stuff stand alone. I don't want to display them anywhere and I don't want them taking up storage space either.

Fucking this. There's a weapon I'll never get in Hyrule Warriors because I'm not about to drop $13 on a Link figurine that I'll never use again.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
DLC microtransactions and "games as service" are the two single trends in video games I wish could be reversed.

There are numerous examples of how these can be implemented in a way to both fairly retain its playerbase and extend the life and support of a beloved game in a way that is desirable to its publisher.

Plenty of examples are abusive to consumers admittedly, but lets please stop with the blanket rule that no positive gains can come from them either.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
Aw that's sweet!

Wait....

...uh oh.
pn7cCiH.jpg

I need a cigarette.

So I would propose a few issues here.

1.) As most people have mentioned, there is actually paid content with things like Amiibo. Similarly, the platform has an annual online fee, and Nintendo's games are going to be the main selling point of that.

2.) Since Splatoon 2 doesn't have a long time business model, Nintendo has already announced that they're going to abandoned content updates after a year, and abandoned Splatfests after two years. By comparison, games like Rainbow Six or Overwatch are going to get updated for years upon years

3.) In loot box games, not only do you get continued support for years on end, but you can actually get the skin content for free as well. Sure, you're probably not going to get all of them, but the reason people prefer the loot box model to the Titanfall 2 model of just selling you skins for $5-$10 a pop is that you can get a bunch of new skins without paying any money. The skins are also incentivized to be quite good to make you want to buy more loot boxes.

In the short term, sure, I can get why someone might look at Splatoon 2 and go "I can get a year of free content and I don't have to work hard to unlock any of it!", but in the end, you're only getting that year of content. If Nintendo doesn't release another Splatoon this generation, then you're pretty much dead in the water for another 4+ years. If they do, you then have to pay a mandatory $60 fee for the next game, which is way more than most people spend on games with loot boxes (since most don't pay for boxes).

Define dead in the water. Do you just mean nothing new coming out for it? If so I'm alright with that, I played the original on and off up through 2's launch.

The fact that it doesn't ask me outright for more money is exactly why I've wound up spending more money. I hunted down the Limited Edition Pro Controller, snagged the Joycon grip and bought the new Amiibo sets.

Funny how this works, eh industry?

Far as im concerned nintendo is behind the likes of ea and capcom who may as well be selling on disc dlc for every game.
Amiibo is cancer. You wanna buy your toys buy them i dont care but its expensive, limited, exclusive, has nothing to do with a game and i dont want it and its cutting content from my game.
And no 99% of the games with dlc do not force you to buy, nothing refreshing about it.

SMattera

Ambiio is way worse than standard DLC or loot boxes.

I don't want to have to hunt down a figurine or pay some scalper on eBay for a cheap plastic figurine, most of which are barely better quality than a McDonald's toy.

Mohonky

Ambiio is way worse than standard DLC or loot boxes.

I don't want to have to hunt down a figurine or pay some scalper on eBay for a cheap plastic figurine, most of which are barely better quality than a McDonald's toy.

McDonald's must havr upped their quality since I was a kid :/

SMattera

McDonald's must havr upped their quality since I was a kid :/

I'm exaggerating for effect, but most of them are not display worthy. If you have a bunch sitting on a shelf it looks like a bunch of cheap kids toys (which, admittedly, is exactly what they are).

When Amiibo was announced, I thought it would be better than Skylanders, etc but it's actually worse. I'd prefer if they just made a Skylanders type game or franchise and stopped their current strategy.

Instro

Beyond the obvious existing monetary sinks already in place like amiibo, don't be shocked if Nintendo takes this and several other series(Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc.) towards a games as service model. They have no right to do such a thing at the moment, given the abysmal state of their online efforts, but it will surely happen.

exemp30

Guys invest in one of these "Amiibo Action Replay PowerSaves" and you'll have any amiibo you want or at least their data, I still buy amiibo but only if I truly want the character like fem Corrin.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
No ill intentions here, but did you just get that tag? :lol

lol....it seems like that. I dont get it but okay.
The OP was bringing up the Loot system a integral part of the standard gameplay experience in Overwatch - even if you dont spend money on it you will always encounter it. Amiibos on the other hand offer just a couple extra for the Fans that own the figures already.

That would be like comparing the Fire Emblem Heroes Gacha with buying DLC for BotW. I understood the "ask me for money" part as game that non-stop show you that you can spend money on them for additional benefits.

Edit:
Im not even a big Amiibo guy - only own Ryu and Ness.
Just dont think that Amiibos or the extras you get from them are comparable to Loot and Gacha mechanics where you constantly are asked to spend money and hope for luck.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
The amiibo costumes in this one really isn't anything special. They either look too busy or too plain and you can get gear that's better relatively quickly. The first game was the one that was some bullshit, because they locked minigames behind them, and those were fun as hell. And you got new SP levels, too.
I had gear that was better before I even unlocked the amiibo stuff lol

Yoi atleast get something out of it apart from some in game item and the stuff Ammibos do arent in the 'pay to win' category as well as being used across multiple games.

I see the comparison but at least its tangible.

i mean, they do cost 10 to 20 times your average cosmetic dlc....again, though, i dunno why getting something else is relevant to this,
the $1dlc exclusively coming with a $10 figure is not a bonus.
zelda has by far among the worst dlc schemeive seen for a modern game, about 12 sets of equipment are amiibo exclusive, supports around 20 amiibos, only way to get the series's signature horse (has the best ingame stats by far) , only way to get a wolf link partner(not even a mechanic in the base game), only way to get a bow with unlimited arrows properly, tons of exclusive armor and high end weapons as well.
then you have all the remaining paid dlc locked behind a single season pass option , want a master sword that doesnt stupidly turn itself off after every 10 hits? buy the season pass. want that mask that confuses even lynels? buy the season pass
want those basic map improvements with fast travel? buy the season pass.
want the new story dungeon? again, buy the whole pass.

thanks nintendo , never felt so refreshed.

people keep excusing this shit by saying botw has enough content on its own, and yeah i agree it does, and it has nothing to do with the fact that this still one of the worst dlc plans in the history of gaming.

The amiibo costumes in this one really isn't anything special. They either look too busy or too plain and you can get gear that's better relatively quickly. The first game was the one that was some bullshit, because they locked minigames behind them, and those were fun as hell. And you got new SP levels, too.
Really seems like people complaining just haven't played the game.

Like I said, I got all my best gear so far from the app.

This doesn't come across as something even close to say... Being capable of spawning a horse in Breath of the Wild. I dislike Amiibos as well, but they hardly count as DLC for Splatoon 2.

Weren't the Star Fox Zer0 amiibo unlocks actually obtainable in the game?
what sorcery is this?
Well a couple of hours ago the paint brush weapon was unlocked and you could use it in the game. I don't remember downloading an update or going to the online store for the DLC.

I think that there was something in the original update though that had the brush obviously.

Just like Splatoon 1. They confirmed free "DLC" (you don't even download anything, the game just unlocks them based on server time) for at least a year.

Not entirely accurate. Some of the "DLC" is already on the cart/digital file (the inkbrush that just unlocked, for example), but like with Splatoon 1, there will be patches that add new content.

Order

Amiibos are worse than any DLC

I'm not about to track down a $13 figure just for a Fierce Diety skin. What's the justification for not selling the DLC on the eShop?

FinalAres

I guess i dont think of amiibo as anything than just figures.
And that's a way Nintendo have been kind of smart. It's 100% DLC, but done differently and you get a physical item for it. Which is cool.

But it still holds to the good old Dlc standard of costing you much more than what youre getting for it is worth. So don't kid yourself. Amiibos are DLC.

The fact that amiibo double as figurines or toys or what have you does not negate that there is content locked behind the paywall of purchasing those items, aka DLC.

DLC is included in Splatoon 2, it's just cleverly included in a way where you feel like you're not paying for DLC... but you are. Let's not argue semantics.

Aye, costumes for £10-14. The fact you get a figurine too is irrelevant as the only way to get a lot of these costumes is through buying the amiibo which are not only expensive but severely undershipped. Surprise Nintendo is getting a free pass when such a tactic is one of the most dubious we've seen this generation.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Typically games with microtransactions are meant to last 5 - 10 years. Nintendo will make sequels to Splatoon.

No they aren't, have you even been paying attention? Almost every major AAA games have microtransactions these days even those with yearly sequels. Some are designed to last for that long but that's hardly the rule.

This, and I doubt any of those cosmetic items would've existed without amiibo in the first place.
Yep.

I guess I need to know how people can claim it's completely different. I'm sure that paid DLC would also not exist if people weren't going to buy it. The crap you get from Amiibos didn't just spring into existence. It was made to get people to spend money.

Give it a couple months when these Amiibo for Splatoon 2. are no longer common.

If its anything like the Splatoon 1 Amiibo hundreds will end up in Book-Offs and other resale stores brand new and unopened for cheap. I've been to 7 Book-Off stores here in SoCal the within the past month looking for old PS2 and GCube games and always check the Amiibo section to see if any rare ones pop up. So far only Amiibo they have are the Splatoon and AC ones. All unopened and brand new for less than $5 with the 3 Pack Splatoon set selling for $10 with at least 20+ of each in stock. Strange sight but atleast it lets me know where all these Amiibos eventually end up.

Fukuzatsu

The content exists only to justify the figure, for some people it's in reverse though.

The supposed intended use-case of an Amiibo is just nuts to me--it's one thing for a character like Mario when there are a bunch of Mario-related games, but what about Bayonetta or Megaman? Obviously some are going to have more uses than others, but having cosmetic (or functional) DLC be beholden to figures only available at a premium is, I think, a poor way to do DLC in general.

Top Bottom