• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 doesn't ask me for more money.

13ruce

Banned
I like Nintendo, but the whole content locked behind Amiibo is bullshit.

Luckily most of the content is cosmetic, but what about when we get to a point where actually useful content starts being locked behind it, are people still going to be ok with it?

I wish that we had the option to buy any amiibo content within Nintendo games, surely that will increase their revenue no?

I refuse to believe that Amiibos sell because of the content they provide. In my opinion they sell because people like the figurines.

I guarantee they'd still be in demand even if they provided zero content in games.

For me personally they could offer 100 new tracks in Mario Kart 8 with each damn Amiibo and I still wouldn't buy them. I don't want glamourised McDonalds Toys. However give me an option to buy tracks and I'll gladly buy each and every one of them.

Honestly they should make amiibo cards like the Animal Crossing ones.

gogogow

They got more of my money...

s2a.jpg

I have the inkling girl, but I wish she had her cap on, she looks a lot cooler with it.

There are people who have lost much much more than $60 usd to get what they wanted from a loot box. So that isn't a good defense.
I mean, spending more period is silly for inconsequential items. You don't HAVE to buy amiibo or loot boxes in the first place. If a few costumes being out of reach hampers your enjoyment of a game, then you should question why you play the game at all. (Not you, specifically) characters with different playstyles I could see being annoying but just costumes? Fuck no.

I'm curious to see what people really really want that is locked behind an amiibo and that has so much value that they rather pay only for this and not for the figure...

It seems some people are exaggerating here.

Anyone buying amiibo just for unlocks, why wouldn't you get one of those amiibo spoofers from GameStop? I get owning amiibo if you want shit to display, but buying them for unlocks seems nuts.

Wamb0wneD

Great way to jynx this game once they add dlc latter om

Well you barely can play it after the year ends unless you pay them.

What?

You know your dlc model is good when customers are spending $50+ on plastic figures and singing your praises on forums because you aren't charging a few dollars for micro transactions or dlc.

Why do you have to make up some exaggerated numbers to get your point across?

OCD Guy

characters with different playstyles I could see being annoying but just costumes? Fuck no.

Do the costumes have special abilities? As in Splatoon gear is what gives you "perks" right, it's not like purely superficial such as the Zelda costume in Skyrim.

I have no clue what, if any abilities the exclusive items give you, but if it's 3 star items with good abilities then it's bullshit in my opinion.

Velcro Fly

Do the Splatoon 2 amiibo that just launched give anything good or game breaking? I'm out of the loop on this despite being a pretty big amiibo guy

13ruce

Banned
Do the Splatoon 2 amiibo that just launched give anything good or game breaking? I'm out of the loop on this despite being a pretty big amiibo guy

Nope Splatoon 1 had more amiibo content. It's just songs and outfits now instead of live performance from squid sisters and extra singleplayer challenges.

And selfies + loadout saving for 2.

RRockman

Banned
Do the costumes have special abilities? As in Splatoon gear is what gives you "perks" right, it's not like purely superficial such as the Zelda costume in Skyrim.

I have no clue what, if any abilities the exclusive items give you, but if it's 3 star items with good abilities then it's bullshit in my opinion.

The abilities on the clothes are in the game. They don't have exclusive abilities at all. Same with Zelda actually. All of the abilities on amiibo clothes are avaliable in both games. I'm also pretty sure the force deity blade is a reskined windcleaver as well.

timberger

When you are so salty you have to pull exaggerated numbers out thin air.

Not really exaggerated. In fact, looking at what you have to pay to get some amiibos these days, he's actually lowballing the numbers if anything.

Nintendo have done such a poor job with availability on those things. Why can't they just offer the content unlocked by them seperately as paid DLC on the eshop for anyone who can't find the right amiibo exactly?

I forgot about that, and yes, if true that's shitty.

Ridley327

Beyond the obvious existing monetary sinks already in place like amiibo, don't be shocked if Nintendo takes this and several other series(Mario Kart, Animal Crossing, etc.) towards a games as service model. They have no right to do such a thing at the moment, given the abysmal state of their online efforts, but it will surely happen.

No right? I think everyone can agree that their first foray in GaaS with the first Splatoon went rather well, and its sequel as well as ARMS are following right in its footsteps. Of all the things that they're missing the boat on with online infrastructure, that aspect isn't one of them.

GametimeUK

My friend just downloads all the amiibos he wants and gets the content for free. He's always trying to give me free amiibo stuff, but I don't care for cosmetics.

Ridley327

There are two major reasons why the Amiibo costumes are desirable:

1. They're non-standard costumes for the game, as they're more elaborate than the usual gear.
2. They are potentially "early" access to two-star equipment with two slots, and cannot be obtained in the game otherwise.

The first point is a bit harder to argue against for those that want something a bit more flashy to bring into battle (after all, one of them is a ninja costume), but the second point actually comes with some major caveats:

1. They are on a very different unlock system than the pieces in the first game, with them now coming in the form of level unlocks. You'll get the head piece straight away, but from what I can tell, the other pieces come every five levels after that (ex. getting the chest requires level 6), making the rate of acquirement pretty slow. From what I can tell, this is an effect that happens as soon as you scan the Amiibo, so you are potentially facing an even bigger grind to get them the longer you wait.
2. SplatNet's store already has two-star and even three-star equipment in their rotation, so in less time than it takes to get the levels needed to unlock the next piece of Amiibo equipment, you will likely have more than enough money to order one of those pieces and thereby making the Amiibo equipment's early game utility rather limited, on top of the real world price to a consumer being a lot nicer at free. Best of all: you don't even need the app to get them, since you can order them via Murch's functionality when you find a player that has a piece.
3. There are no unique abilities on them.

Aesthetically, I get the grumbling, but between SplatNet and Salmon Run, I'm already rocking a pretty fierce set without needing an Amiibo.

Toxi

Banned
"It's refreshing to have a game that doesn't ask you for more money"
"But amiibo"
"It's different. I love to spend money on amiibo. Shut up"
Basically.

I'll probably be buying the Samus Returns Amiibos just to have them on my desk, but that doesn't mean it's not $30 to get all their associated content in Samus Returns. And I doubt there will be many games where those Amiibos unlock significant content.

Naw amiboos are a lot worse. I got every outfit I cared about in Overwatch without spending a dime with just casual play.

Unlike botw where I'd have to pay £15 - £300+ for a shitty tacky rare ass figure with no other way to get what the outfit or pet I wanted.

And there are people who have thrown $3000 on loot crates and not gotten any of the outfits they wanted, and they didn't get a statue on their desk or any physical reward for their cash investment.

Yukinari

Anyone buying amiibo just for unlocks, why wouldn't you get one of those amiibo spoofers from GameStop? I get owning amiibo if you want shit to display, but buying them for unlocks seems nuts.

Yep, theres no reason to pay scalpers or import amiibo anymore when you can just easily download everything you want.

The moment the splat 2 amiibo came out their data is already online for everyone to use.

Mael

Wait people have trouble ordering amiibos?
Never had any trouble finding any that were interesting.
The wolf link was sold with a game I was getting and the other Zelda related ones were regular orders from target at RRP.
People act like they're NES minis in this thread.

The wolf link was sold with a game I was getting and the other Zelda related ones were regular orders from target at RRP.
I think many have a bad experience from the original Smash Bros wave of amiibos. There were amiibos like Lucina, Marth, Link for a bit, Ness, and others that were incredibly hard to obtain for the longest time unless you payed the online price that some were selling at.

Then you have amiibo like Mewtwo, Charizard, Shulk, and others that are just plain gone.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!

Wait. I guess you haven't been the last few years?

etrain911

The game is plagued by content locked behind useless amiibos, that alone is huge for me. I would rather have DLC (you know, the kind of DLC you buy in online stores) than have content locked behind toys.

Yup. If there are amiibos involved in any significant way, it is an automatic strike against the game from me. Picross 3D Round 2 had like 9 puzzles hidden behind something like 10-12 separate amiibos. I would've paid 3-5 dollars for that if they had an online store.

Mael

I think many have a bad experience from the original Smash Bros wave of amiibos. There were amiibos like Lucina, Marth, Link for a bit, Ness, and others that were incredibly hard to obtain for the longest time unless you payed the online price that some were selling at.

Then you have amiibo like Mewtwo, Charizard, Shulk, and others that are just plain gone.

Shulk was reprinted (and heavily discounted at GStop one time even), that's how I got it.
It's on my desk right now and I can tell you I didn't have to jump through any hoops for that one.
Charizard is available at amazon right now with the cheapest option being on prime and all.
And I distinctly remember Mewtwo being pretty much everywhere in huge stock every time I went shopping at Walmart for a while (granted not that often).
Is it like Europeans complaining about not having a chance to get Xenoblade Wii because they couldn't be arsed to get the game at 1st and decided they wanted it 2 years after the fact?

Wait. I guess you haven't been the last few years?

You're joking right?
I just got a BotW Zelda and Guardian amiibo from target at no markup.
I literally have all of them except for the bokoblin and WW ones (because they suck, you know it in your heart).
And I could get them now if I wanted...without resorting to scalpers.

Shulk was reprinted (and heavily discounted at GStop one time even), that's how I got it.
It's on my desk right now and I can tell you I didn't have to jump through any hoops for that one.
Charizard is available at amazon right now with the cheapest option being on prime and all.
And I distinctly remember Mewtwo being pretty much everywhere in huge stock every time I went shopping at Walmart for a while (granted not that often).
Is it like Europeans complaining about not having a chance to get Xenoblade Wii because they couldn't be arsed to get the game at 1st and decided they wanted it 2 years after the fact?
Not everyone has the money to buy everything at once. I'm panicking cause I want the Bayonetta P1 amiibo and the Male Inkling amiibo but I don't get payed until next week and by the time that comes it's a possibility that it could be gone. I once had to wait an extra year for Lucina and I'm not gonna take that change again.

Plus some people just plain don't like them at all. You should see the Arms equivalent of this thread.

Mael

Not everyone has the money to buy everything at once. I'm panicking cause I want the Bayonetta P1 amiibo and the Male Inkling amiibo but I don't get payed until next week and by the time that comes it's a possibility that it could be gone. I once had to wait an extra year for Lucina and I'm not gonna take that change again.

Plus some people just plain don't like them at all. You should see the Arms equivalent of this thread.

I get how some people just don't like them.
That is something I can understand.
But seriously they're not that hard to find.
Rule of thumb, if you didn't preorder you won't get them at 1st.
That's pretty much a fact.
If you wait afterward, there's literally no problem outside of stuff like Mega Yarn Yoshi or Wiifit trainer.
Splatoon 1 stuff is more than readily available and was never in short supply.
Same will be true for Spla2n.
If you can't find it now, you'll find it by Xmas.

I get how some people just don't like them.
That is something I can understand.
But seriously they're not that hard to find.
Rule of thumb, if you didn't preorder you won't get them at 1st.
That's pretty much a fact.
If you wait afterward, there's literally no problem outside of stuff like Mega Yarn Yoshi or Wiifit trainer.
Splatoon 1 stuff is more than readily available and was never in short supply.
Same will be true for Spla2n.
If you can't find it now, you'll find it by Xmas.
This is formatted like a poem in my phone!

Anyways you should tell that to the other thread then. They've already pushed Toni the OP to request his account to be deleted by a mod.

Mael

f059506fa5b6a3540d8574e1f7a7cd5c--hunters-cartoons.jpg

Anyways you should tell that to the other thread then. They've already pushed Toni the OP to request his account to be deleted by a mod.

o_O
People are weird.
I'll say this though MK8's implementation was fucking obnoxious.
If you don't have them all (who the fuck would want that pacman one seriously) you're left with a menu that is either empty and useless or half full for some reason.

Yoshi WW is better as in it doesn't tell you you're missing some.
That's better.
But Zelda is seriously the best so far. It's patently useless except for some custo useless shit.
I mean 3 nearly identical hero garb? Really?

We can revisit this topic in a few years and compare the support Splatoon 2 has received with games that do Optional microtransactions for the same amount of time.

Also, Nintendo can afford to have their games be loss leaders and eat server costs because they want to sell systems with their games.

You do know we gonna pay for the servers by next year...

nynt9

We can revisit this topic in a few years and compare the support Splatoon 2 has received with games that do Optional microtransactions for the same amount of time.

Also, Nintendo can afford to have their games be loss leaders and eat server costs because they want to sell systems with their games.

Phu

Banned

Looks like Nintendo might only be committing to a year of content updates and another year of Splatfests? Like here. Typically, other games that have optional microtransactions don't have a pre-planned wall and will just go as long as there is support and interest.

And there are people who have thrown $3000 on loot crates and not gotten any of the outfits they wanted, and they didn't get a statue on their desk or any physical reward for their cash investment.

lmao. I'd rather pay £15 for something dlc digitally attached to my account rather than have to keep one of those cheapo looking tacky things around anyday.

It's a leash not a physical reward.

Woah...

Just read the thread: people are really awful sometimes.

Just for pointing out Nintendo's not doing what other big multiplayer titles do you're a delusional guy that praises blindly a corporation like Nintendo? Are people really fucking serious?

Mael

lmao. I'd rather pay £15 for something dlc digitally attached to my account rather than have to keep one of those cheapo looking tacky things around anyday.

It's a leash not a physical reward.

I prefer the cheapo tacky thing because I can sell it if I don't want it anymore.

Woah...

Just read the thread: people are really awful sometimes.

Just for pointing out Nintendo's not doing what other big multiplayer titles do you're a delusional guy that praises blindly a corporation like Nintendo? Are people really fucking serious?
Conversely, Toni needs to grow thicker skin and not take any amount of criticism at all to mean that he should delete his account. It was a bullshit reactionary thread after this one backfired with a tired premise that applies to literally dozens of games released in the last five years. It turns out that people are tired of misinformed/ignorant posters who have lived in the Nintendo bubble for too long praising everything the company co-opts as the best new thing to happen to gaming.

Make a bad, lazy thread, expect responses in kind.

Conversely, Toni needs to grow thicker skin and not take any amount of criticism at all to mean that he should delete his account. It was a bullshit reactionary thread after this one backfired with a tired premise that applies to literally dozens of games released in the last five years. It turns out that people are tired of misinformed/ignorant posters who have lived in the Nintendo bubble for too long praising everything the company co-opts as the best new thing to happen to gaming.
The thread is gone now. You can celebrate.

OCD Guy

He seems to have gone now.

I'm wondering whether the post about the mod wanting him to suck his dick was the final straw though.....

Just as that thread was about to get even weirder...lol

Top Bottom