• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 - Global Testfire announced (March 24-26)

jax

Banned
This was expected for Splatoon and I remember the first demo being this super rad event on Twitter everyone was talking about.

But I'm wondering about demos in general. 1 2 Switch needs one I believe, but what would you put in that demo? You can't just offer the best minigames for free unless you add an arbitrary play limit like on the 3DS.

Zelda could have a limited version of the grant plateau as a demo.

Would be nice to see a timed demo for 12S, as well as MK8D & ARMS and maybe a few levels of Snipperclips.

Come on Nintendo. Hook us up!

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Looking at that announcement, still 720p with no AA?

I wonder if that's final. Weird that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was able to hit 1080p on Switch but this close to launch a Splatoon sequel with similar visuals to its predecessor cannot hit 900p. Shouldn't be that taxing.

Malus

I wonder if that's final. Weird that Mario Kart 8 Deluxe was able to hit 1080p on Switch but this close to launch a Splatoon sequel with similar visuals to its predecessor cannot hit 900p. Shouldn't be that taxing.

It runs at 720p in handheld mode so I'm expecting the final version to have improved visuals when docked.

CDX

You have to calculate it a bit different as March 12th is the date PST becomes PDT, making the time difference go to 7 Hours...then March 26th is when GMT becomes BST, making the difference back to 8 hours.

Like this:
thanks I don't know how I messed that up, but I fixed it now.

UTC Times
Code:
UTC - Friday   24th March 2017    19:00:00 ~ 19:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    03:00:00 ~ 03:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    11:00:00 ~ 11:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    19:00:00 ~ 19:59:00
UTC - Sunday   26th March 2017    03:00:00 ~ 03:59:00
UTC - Sunday   26th March 2017    11:00:00 ~ 11:59:00

AUSTRALIA
Code:
Saturday, March 25th
-------------
 6:00AM ~  6:59AM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA          3:00AM ~  3:59AM PERTH, AUSTRALIA
 2:00PM ~  2:59PM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA         11:00AM ~ 11:59AM PERTH, AUSTRALIA
10:00PM ~ 10:59PM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA          7:00PM ~  7:59PM PERTH, AUSTRALIA

Sunday, March 26th
-------------
 6:00AM ~  6:59AM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA         3:00AM ~  3:59AM PERTH, AUSTRALIA
 2:00PM ~  2:59PM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA        11:00AM ~ 11:59AM PERTH, AUSTRALIA
10:00PM ~ 10:59PM SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA         7:00PM ~  7:59PM PERTH, AUSTRALIA

BRAZIL
Code:
Friday, March 24th
------------
16:00 ~ 16:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL

Saturday, March 25th
------------
00:00 ~ 00:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
08:00 ~ 08:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
16:00 ~ 16:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL

Sunday, March 26th
------------
00:00 ~ 00:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
08:00 ~ 08:59 RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL

ENGLAND
Code:
Friday, March 24th
------------
 7:00PM ~  7:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND

Saturday, March 25th
------------
 3:00AM ~  3:59AM LONDON, ENGLAND 
11:00AM ~ 11:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND
 7:00PM ~  7:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND

Sunday, March 26th
------------
 4:00AM ~  4:59AM LONDON, ENGLAND
12 Noon ~ 12:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND

GERMANY
Code:
Friday, March 24th
-------------
20:00 ~ 20:59 BERLIN, GERMANY

Saturday, March 25th
------------- 
04:00 ~ 04:59 BERLIN, GERMANY
12:00 ~ 12:59 BERLIN, GERMANY
20:00 ~ 20:59 BERLIN, GERMANY

Sunday, March 26th
-------------
05:00 ~ 05:59 BERLIN, GERMANY
13:00 ~ 13:59 BERLIN, GERMANY

NORTH AMERICA
Code:
Friday, March 24th
------------
 3:00PM ~  3:59PM (USA) EASTERN TIME        12 Noon ~ 12:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME
11:00PM ~ 11:59PM (USA) EASTERN TIME         8:00PM ~  8:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME 

Saturday, March 25th
------------
 7:00AM ~  7:59AM (USA) EASTERN TIME         4:00AM ~  4:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME
 3:00PM ~  3:59PM (USA) EASTERN TIME        12 Noon ~ 12:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME
11:00PM ~ 11:59PM (USA) EASTERN TIME         8:00PM ~  8:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME 

Sunday, March 26th
------------
 7:00AM ~  7:59AM (USA) EASTERN TIME         4:00AM ~  4:59PM (USA) PACIFIC TIME

noshten

Wait, are people actually thinking there is a normal demo coming for Splatoon 2???
It seems the Testfire IS the demo.

Testfire is the demo but it can potentially be done multiple times before launch. It be fun if they add things to each global testfire for Switch. First one is like the old ones except the new maps/weapons/moves, while the next one allows squads and is on an old remodeled maps, while the third one showcases a new mode etc

Personally I'd like to see more of these types of limited demos for online games, it's interesting only Nintendo does it this way. Demos like this will give everyone with a Switch a preview of the paid online even if they haven't bought things like Splatoon. I think you could do the same for MK8D and Arms. It's just a matter if Nintendo as a company has realized what type of things people might expect and what type of things might surprise people. I'd like to have these types of "demos" for any type of game that has a considerable online and I'd like more ways for Nintendo to provide incentive the organic creations of communities surrounding these games.
Especially if they do demos of selected games on different dates each month and it's an ongoing thing for online games even after they launch.

Azure J

Oh stop with the projecting. I bought Splatoon at launch and I've had tons of fun with it.

I've had it from launch too and met people I wouldn't have a problem calling some of my best friends with the people I've met from the "competitive" side of things.

Geg

We got three test fires last time right?

Three originally scheduled, then a fourth one because the first three were so popular.

I remember the third hour being the one that had all the connection problems last time, people couldn't get on for basically the whole hour, so they extended the original time by an hour after fixing the connection issues.

Rodin

ENGLAND
Code:

March 24th
------------
7:00PM ~ 7:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND

March 25th
------------
3:00AM ~ 3:59AM LONDON, ENGLAND
11:00AM ~ 11:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND
7:00PM ~ 7:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND

March 26th
------------
4:00AM ~ 4:59AM LONDON, ENGLAND
12 Noon ~ 12:59PM LONDON, ENGLAND
I should be able to partecipate to all of them, except those at 3-4am and 4-5am.

Shouldn't be final for the exact reason you suggested, and also because it's already 720p on the handheld screen. It's way more likely that the build they had on the showfloor was running at undocked speed even when docked, but there's no reason not to change this in time for launch. At that point i don't see why it shouldn't be able to run at 1080p, for example i don't see anything super bandwidth intensive that can cause issues, just like there isn't in MK8D.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
For a summer release, this seems awfully early. I'm guessing they'll do another much closer to launch?

ARMS should do something like this for promotional purposes/to test online services before its launch as well.

Amani

If we get three or four of these, I could see one a month until a release in June/July.

Would compensate a little for the lack luster launch line-up too, if they choose to make this monthly.

Calling it now, dual splat-guns (forgot the name) are gonna somehow be the Rollers of this test fire.

Three originally scheduled, then a fourth one because the first three were so popular.

I remember the third hour being the one that had all the connection problems last time, people couldn't get on for basically the whole hour, so they extended the original time by an hour after fixing the connection issues.
Yeah I remember that now. Here's hoping we get a few.

I was around for the testfires of the original too.
good to see them return.

Just don't know if i will already own a Switch by then...

yup just announced @ koshien stream. can see the jp viewers are really excited
b993ec583c.jpg

I completely missed that. such a shame.
I hope someone recorded the live stream with comments

RedFyn

So Nintendo wants to start waiting queues? Because that's how you start waiting queues.

No, seriously, why is their stress test staggered like this? Why does Nintendo have to make it inconvenient? Bunching everybody in like that is asking to have servers overloaded so they get in the way of play time.

Is it too much to ask for a normal stress test that lasts an entire weekend, like Aion did years ago or, more recently, Overwatch?
You don't seem to understand the idea of a stress test. Its not for you, it's for them. There won't be waiting queues because limiting who can join is the exact opposite of a stress test. However...

So if there's precedence for overloading and interest is at all hours, why stagger it again?
Also, 4AM PST/7AM EST sessions? On a weekend, when most folks want to sleep in?
...I think stressing them is only a small part of the goal. I think that they're also wanting to test out their new connection/region whatever it is based matchmaking as well as building hype and selling consoles. Getting everyone on at the same time means social media blows up all at the same time.

I think Splatoon has the potential to become Japan's StarCraft-lite.

My predictive joke post of future complaints and feedback for this Global Testfire "meta"

Charger buffs and general skill level of the playerbase in Splatoon 1 is gonna surprise people, at the very least.
Yeah, it'll be interesting and different from the original.

Actually, how is online gonna work in this game?

Will I run into scenarios online where I splat someone, walk two feet and then implode? Or will they actually fix that?
If they don't fix the horrible p2p netcode which lead to terrible lag kills especially when combined with the stupid matchmaking matching you with people from the other side of the planet, I won't buy it again.

It was an absolute dealbreaker, ruining the main component of an otherwise great game. Had fun when I recently played Splatoon 2 at a preview event too, but I won't deal with such a thing again, especially not as it will become a paid service.

So I'm very excited how the stressest will handle it and I'll also wait a few weeks after release before buying it to get some community feedback.
They've said in interviews that they're working on reducing the bandwidth/data something or other to make the connection better/more stable. They're also implementing some sort of regional mm but I don't know the specifics. And we really don't have any specifics but they are working on it.

I think I'm gonna hold out until it launches for maximum hype.

Also I refuse to be involved in the inevitable curbstomping of new players heh. Some of you guys are savages.
30-0 here I come XD

Do we know if we can control with the R joycon gyro? Want to play like a Wii shooter.
Yes, you can

Yes I will be off this whole week! Since my wife is giving birth to our third child. Perfect!
Congrats! It's a good thing the switch is mobile

They actually changed how rollers work from what I can understand. When you jump, the area covered is changed...

But I remember the optimal scumbag strat being to jump and then flick lol

(this might have changed from when I played of course)

I think you can still get the normal jump flick in this game, but you flick right away or something before jumping... I can't remember what people said lol
Yes. Rollers got a much needed buff. We'll see if it was enough for the splat roller. You can now change your flick to either be the regular short and wide or new long and thin. If you're in the air when you press the button it's the long and thin and if you are on the ground it's the regular flick. However you can press flick and then jump to get the Splatoon jump flick we all know and love.

I can't stop laughing at the thought of Splatoon clans and the idea of people taking the game too seriously.
Wow

Oh stop with the projecting. I bought Splatoon at launch and I've had tons of fun with it.
This post has absolutely nothing to do with the other.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I don't like that it's only for an hour at specific times. Why cant they just have an open beta for 2 or 3 days? Or even just all day for one day? Bet I'll either be working or in some way busy at the specific times.

thefro

I don't like that it's only for an hour at specific times. Why cant they just have an open beta for 2 or 3 days? Or even just all day for one day? Bet I'll either be working or in some way busy at the specific times.

Stress test for the servers.

The testfire for the first game also had these benefits:

1) Give you a teaser of the game without letting people play too much and get burnt out on the demo
2) Allows you to hop into a match really quickly
3) Social media buzz from a bunch of people playing the game in a short time period (it's an event)

Considering it was probably one of the most successful demos of all time in selling people on a game, I wouldn't change a thing if I were Nintendo.

I'm sure they'll have a couple more before launch.

CDX

Since the times are simultaneous worldwide. I used the UTC times and made some GMT countdowns clocks over at secondapps.

UTC Times
Code:
UTC - Friday   24th March 2017    19:00:00 ~ 19:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    03:00:00 ~ 03:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    11:00:00 ~ 11:59:00
UTC - Saturday 25th March 2017    19:00:00 ~ 19:59:00
UTC - Sunday   26th March 2017    03:00:00 ~ 03:59:00
UTC - Sunday   26th March 2017    11:00:00 ~ 11:59:00

Countdowns:

1st - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490382000z0.png

2nd - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490410800z0.png

3rd - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490439600z0.png

4th - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490468400z0.png

5th - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490497200z0.png

6th - "Splatoon 2" Global Testfire time period Countdown
t1490526000z0.png

One burning question remains that has probably already been posed but I'm too lazy to comb Splatoon 2 threads: will my original three Splatoon amiibo do anything in this game??!!??

Sendou

People say stress test and while that is likely half of the truth (it's a month before the first real test for servers - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe) but I don't think it's all. The fact is that the demo is likely to be very slim. 4 weapons, 1 map. If people could play that for 2 days straight I bet they would feel very bored at the end. This way they are more likely to be wanting more at the end.

khaaan

Stress test for the servers.

The testfire for the first game also had these benefits:

1) Give you a teaser of the game without letting people play too much and get burnt out on the demo
2) Allows you to hop into a match really quickly
3) Social media buzz from a bunch of people playing the game in a short time period (it's an event)

Considering it was probably one of the most successful demos of all time in selling people on a game, I wouldn't change a thing if I were Nintendo.

I'm sure they'll have a couple more before launch.

The only point that's valid is #2 and only because we don't know how big the Switch userbase will be. Plenty of games give you a day or even a weekend to play and if that's all it took for people to get burned out or stop talking then it's a problem with the game and not how long they let you play it for.

DKL

The only point that's valid is #2 and only because we don't know how big the Switch userbase will be.

I can confidently say that Japan will be all in.

Whether or not I'm gonna be stuck playing Japan on an awful connection remains to be seen however :v

(I'm wondering how matchmaking will work in this one... but then, I don't know how much online I'll actually be doing now that I'm pretty sure that locals will be a thing and I just need to find a community out in Norcal to play with... though I'll likely be sucked into FGC once I start traveling lol)

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
The only point that's valid is #2 and only because we don't know how big the Switch userbase will be. Plenty of games give you a day or even a weekend to play and if that's all it took for people to get burned out or stop talking then it's a problem with the game and not how long they let you play it for.

It's a free damn demo. Any limitation they want to put on it is valid. The previous testfires were a shitload of fun and generated a lot of buzz.

khaaan

It's a free damn demo. Any limitation they want to put on it is valid. The previous testfires were a shitload of fun and generated a lot of buzz.

They're certainly free to put any sort of limitation they want on it, that does not mean the justifications people are making are valid.

Ninja Dom

Alright so the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire should be available to download this week on the eShop, so that everybody has it ready for the 24th.

ScOULaris

Ugh, I was holding off on getting a Switch due to some of the questionable design decisions that might get fixed down the line, but now I might have to become an early adopter.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
Nice to see this. Seems like Nintendo is doing a pretty good job keeping a steady stream of content coming to the Switch!

Ugh, I was holding off on getting a Switch due to some of the questionable design decisions that might get fixed down the line, but now I might have to become an early adopter.
If you can find one I would suggest at least giving it a try. I'm really pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying mine so far. Stuff like Splatoon 2 being in the pipeline certainly doesn't hurt either :)

Top Bottom