• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

13ruce

Banned
Honestly i just got the gear that looked nice with decent to good main abilities i now got gear with all kinds of good and usefull mains.

Just keep and eye each day on Splatnet, players and the ingame stores (some gear does habe a good standard ability there).

And in no time you will have a whole wardrobe off cool stuff with nice mains.

Even faster so then Splatoon one thabks to the cah payouts of Salmon Run + double money tickets.

Unfortunately the only rollers worth using right now and that are somewhat serviceable in turf war is the carbon and splat. Hopefully they make some adjustments to the others to make them at least playable soon enough.

i hope so too.
Used to be a carbon roller main in Splatoon 1. Now. I pretty much ditched rollers altogether in Splatoon 2.
They run out of ink so fast , hate the new jump flick and their splatting potential just seems inferior to other weapons.

phanphare

Banned
Sure. But its the main abilities that matter most. It's really not worth your time going nutso eve the subs.

Even then, just play ranked a lot and soon you have boat loads of cash, so much you can't even spend it.

iirc 3 subs = 1 main so it's absolutely worth your time to get some good subs on your gear of choice seeing as how you have 9 potential slots to fill

Ogodei

God as much as I adore this game, playing ranked properly has made me see some of its major flaws.

1) Matchmaking is total ass.
If you've got 3 C+ ranked people, 1 C rank and 4 C-, where the C+ people are also all at least 10 levels higher than the C-s to boot (indicating considerably more time spent on the game), why the hell does it put all 3 C+ and the C on one team and all 4 C- on the other?

2) Lack of weapon switching means some matches are lost before they even start.
When you're playing tower control and you've got 3 aerospray users in one team and the other team has a balanced mix of charger, splattershot pro, dualies and Tri slosher you almost know it's going to be rough before the game has started.

The Aerospray is so good in turf war that people get to level 10/11, try to play ranked with it and just aren't good enough at killing.

3) Lack of public voice chat
Turf war is fine for casual play. However Salmon Run and ranked modes require team work. They require coordinated pushes, knowing your role and knowing the tricks for certain maps and game modes. Lacking public voice chat damages these modes. Salmon Run gets so ridiculous later on that it needs good teamwork. Rainmaker also requires coordination. These modes would be so much more fun if you could at least explain to your team what you wanted to do.

So many times I've played Rainmaker, inked a lovely lane for the persn on my team with the RM to use and they've just ignored it and jumped about firing it at nothing in particular. I would have loved to patiently explain that they should get in squid mode and follow the lane I'd laid. This is impossible in public games.

Some may say "oh just play with friends" but I would argue that this is not the point. A game needs to be fun to play in all modes even without a premade group. At the moment it's far too easy to end up in a crap group and damage your ranking, in ranked and SR, simply because the rest of your team didn't know what to do and you couldn't even try to formulate a plan with them.

Because of rank-skipping, people who are C or C+ actually have a good chance of being worse than people in C-, because most good players have skipped from C- to B- (although maybe you had some bad luck early B- and slipped back to C+)

Biske

iirc 3 subs = 1 main so it's absolutely worth your time to get some good subs on your gear of choice seeing as how you have 9 potential slots to fill

Still not going to make you win. If you are an ass player, all perfect gear won't help you.

Get your gear that looks cool, on average you'll almost always get double subs on each piece, you'll be fine.

Will give you a slight edge here and there, but if your team is shitting the bed all the gear in the world wont help you.

phanphare

Banned
Still not going to make you win. If you are an ass player, all perfect gear won't help you.

Get your gear that looks cool, on average you'll almost always get double subs on each piece, you'll be fine.

Will give you a slight edge here and there, but if your team is shitting the bed all the gear in the world wont help you.

lol, nothing's gonna make you win if you're ass to begin with

I'm merely stating that good gear is important because it is and it can help you leverage the strengths and weaknesses of whatever kit you choose to use because it can

you keep going to extremes to make conclusive statements. if you're ass you'll continue being ass with good gear. if your team sucks you'll probably lose with good gear. that doesn't affect anything that I've been saying so far lol.

Biske

lol, nothing's gonna make you win if you're ass to begin with

I'm merely stating that good gear is important because it is and it can help you leverage the strengths and weaknesses of whatever kit you choose to use because it can

you keep going to extremes to make conclusive statements. if you're ass you'll continue being ass with good gear. if your team sucks you'll probably lose with good gear. that doesn't affect anything that I've been saying so far lol.

I just think its actual value is over rated. Just like when in Splatoon 1 you would see people with all damage up on every piece. It didn't make them the maps most lethal killer. It helped sure, but how much really?

For all the emphasis people put on it, I think it all balances out and makes it effectively pointless. Its mostly cosmetic.

phanphare

Banned
I just think its actual value is over rated. Just like when in Splatoon 1 you would see people with all damage up on every piece. It didn't make them the maps most lethal killer. It helped sure, but how much really?

For all the emphasis people put on it, I think it all balances out and makes it effectively pointless. Its mostly cosmetic.

as a burst bomb user and rapid blaster main in the first game I can tell you first hand that damage up made all the difference with the kits I used

and to answer your question it helps enough to be important, that's all I've ever said. you keep going to extremes lol "most lethal killer on the map". I haven't been talking like that. like yeah your gear isn't going to hold your controller or anything lol

Biske

as a burst bomb user and rapid blaster main in the first game I can tell you first hand that damage up made all the difference with the kits I used

and to answer your question it helps enough to be important, that's all I've ever said. you keep going to extremes lol "most lethal killer on the map". I haven't been talking like that. like yeah your gear isn't going to hold your controller or anything lol

It's not an extreme though, perfect gear is what people go for, and its a waste of time.

phanphare

Banned
It's not an extreme though, perfect gear is what people go for, and its a waste of time.

I quoted the extreme I was referring to, the "it won't make you the most lethal killer on the map"

that doesn't make it not important

we're going in circles though now so I think we can drop it. I'll just say the only thing I've ever said, and you can go up the quote chain, is that good gear is important. I never said it'd magically take a player from ass to amazing, I never said that it'll make up for being on a shitty team, and I never said it'd make you the most lethal killer on the map. I only said that good gear is important because it is and that it can help you leverage the strengths and weaknesses of the kits that you use because it can. that's all I said and it's still true.

peace love and splats

Biske

I quoted the extreme I was referring to, the "it won't make you the most lethal killer on the map"

that doesn't make it not important

we're going in circles though now so I think we can drop it. I'll just say the only thing I've ever said, and you can go up the quote chain, is that good gear is important. I never said it'd magically take a player from ass to amazing, I never said that it'll make up for being on a shitty team, and I never said it'd make you the most lethal killer on the map. I only said that good gear is important because it is and that it can help you leverage the strengths and weaknesses of the kits that you use because it can. that's all I said and it's still true.

peace love and splats

Its a fact that the cool hat bonus is higher than any of the ability bonuses.

Edit: That being said, I do wish the game still have Defense up and Damage up abilities, so each weapon could be more viable.

Screw this ages-taking waiting with 7 people for the 8th player. The clock resets and resets and you're stuck in eternity...

Yay and a data error as the final gift..

I hope so much that they fix this game. I needs to be way faster.

ChrisD

Screw this ages-taking waiting with 7 people for the 8th player. The clock resets and resets and you're stuck in eternity...

Yay and a data error as the final gift..

I hope so much that they fix this game. I needs to be way faster.

Recently I've been having lobbies with seven people that end up timing out, but then when I hit Find Match again, it instantaneously slots me in as an eighth in another lobby. It happened four times in a row just last night. I don't get it. Feels like it's got to be glitch, but idk for sure.

I just won a game with my right joy con completely depleted of battery. RIght in the middle of the match, the battery ran out so I had to quickly take my switch out of the dock and use it in handheld mode.

Doorman

Its a fact that the cool hat bonus is higher than any of the ability bonuses.

Edit: That being said, I do wish the game still have Defense up and Damage up abilities, so each weapon could be more viable.

Fact, huh.....

Anyway yes in Splatoon 1 the presence of damage up in particular did things that made a lot of weapons straight-up more viable than they would otherwise be, you even admit that yourself. The ability for rapid blasters and bamboozler to perform pseudo-OHKO, for H-3 to get pseudo-2HKO if you were into that, having it dramatically-enough alter the damage-curve for Charger and E-liter partial charges, subtly expanding the kill-range for stuff like Dynamo...all of that being gone has dramatically changed the strategies and overall usefulness of all of these.

A splatling with a lot of run speed plays quite differently than one without it. It's part of why the nerf to its default speed has made the Mini less useful than it once was (that and its kit I suppose). None of it at this point might be essential to a weapon's survival but certain builds can lend themselves much better to certain playstyles and I wouldn't entirely rule out the value of that customizability. The trick with Splatoon 2 is that with some of the ability changes they've made and the way the ability chunk system works, the game is incentivizing players to not put so much focus into "pure" gear and instead work in mixed sets.

CO_Andy

Came across a squid named "ByeBannon!" in turf lulz

Got some Splatoon tech y'all can use: tape down the Y button for better accuracy. Seriously makes the nozzlenoses far more accessible

Wait, did I miss something? Salmon Run is on for ages - 30 hours! I thought they bumped it to 24 hours and that was it?

G2MW02C.png

Koren

Used to be a carbon roller main in Splatoon 1. Now. I pretty much ditched rollers altogether in Splatoon 2.
They run out of ink so fast , hate the new jump flick and their splatting potential just seems inferior to other weapons.
That's exactly my situation... I reached A+ in Splatoon 1 using only the carbon roller, but I was stuck in B with the splat roller in 2 (I should have switched to the carbon, but I really liked the curling bombs of the splat roller). As soon as I changed weapons (mainly dualies and aerospray), I was in A. But I miss rollers :/

3 subs is slightly less (-10%) than a main, but
- you'll basically always have subs, so actually caring about subs will give you like 3-4 ink saver instead of 2...
- there's diminishing returns, so if you have a main, you actually need 4 subs to get 2x the effect, and if you have twice the same main, having 9x the corresponding sub will only gives you +50%

I'd argue it worth it more if you value special skills on mains (like Ninja or Jump roll)

Biske

Fact, huh.....

Anyway yes in Splatoon 1 the presence of damage up in particular did things that made a lot of weapons straight-up more viable than they would otherwise be, you even admit that yourself. The ability for rapid blasters and bamboozler to perform pseudo-OHKO, for H-3 to get pseudo-2HKO if you were into that, having it dramatically-enough alter the damage-curve for Charger and E-liter partial charges, subtly expanding the kill-range for stuff like Dynamo...all of that being gone has dramatically changed the strategies and overall usefulness of all of these.

A splatling with a lot of run speed plays quite differently than one without it. It's part of why the nerf to its default speed has made the Mini less useful than it once was (that and its kit I suppose). None of it at this point might be essential to a weapon's survival but certain builds can lend themselves much better to certain playstyles and I wouldn't entirely rule out the value of that customizability. The trick with Splatoon 2 is that with some of the ability changes they've made and the way the ability chunk system works, the game is incentivizing players to not put so much focus into "pure" gear and instead work in mixed sets.

thats the only point of gear to me, making otherwise shitty weapons usable. Without damage up or defense up, you can't really do that in Splatoon 2 so its just a matter of slight bonuses that are nice, but not enough to change things enough to make the effort worth it, IMHO.

So its all about making your opponent feel like a fucking dork and shattering their confidence when they see how fresh and styling you are.

I mean we spoke about it before, but I can't remember:

Is there even one pro argument why there's this stupid show of what the current maps are during every start of the game?
Or why this is at least not skippable?

Mediking

Waves come and go. I'm hoping for more spongebob memes by the time Splatfest comes around.

There's some predictable blowback to all of the pro LGBT stuff in the plaza. Still a lot more positive than negative tho.

One day the Plaza was full of fanart.

Then it turned into memes.

Then it was Splatfest posts.

Then it was furry stuff.

Then it was advice posts.

Now its posts about gender?

Then I see "Keep politics outta Splatoon!"

Jims

Awesome set of Salmon weapons right now

Yeah, for sure. Might be the best comp they've offered so far. The Dualie Squelchers is probably the weakest component (killing Steelheads with it is surprisingly hard) but it is still pretty decent. Been seeing a lot of 30+ egg waves with this comp.

i hope so too.

Huh, I'm a roller main now as I was a roller main in 1 (as in, I play roller, with a little bucket on the side) and love the alterations to my roller. I actually have a choice between range or distance and often have splats in the high teens, and not just against scrub teams. I see a lot of people talking down on rollers but in my experience, so long as I have a halfway competent team who can keep themselves alive, I can clean house.

maouvin

The ๖ۜBronx;246488470 said:
Didn't realise I was on team invisible ;_;
Anyone know if Salmon Run being 30hrs on is new or not, could have sworn it was 24?

Most of them are still 24h, but sometimes they put up a 30h one. Those coming after this one are 24h iirc.

We had a 30h SR last week too.

BiggNife

One day the Plaza was full of fanart.

Then it turned into memes.

Then it was Splatfest posts.

Then it was furry stuff.

Then it was advice posts.

Now its posts about gender?

Then I see "Keep politics outta Splatoon!"
For a company so well known for having a "walled garden" approach it sure feels weird that the Splatoon 2 plaza feels like it's barely moderated if at all. I feel like the Wii U miiverse was way, way more moderated than this is. I definitely don't remember so much furry or lgbt stuff in Splatoon 1.

Not that I mind at all, as long as it's not hurtful. Its just really, really weird to see this stuff in an official Nintendo product.

Sorbete

Do skills need to be on the same piece to stack?

What's better. 3 sub slots with the same skill or just 1 in the main slot?

I looked at a graph but didn't understand it :(

stack

Neo Member
DHni2LzVYAEh0MV.jpg:large

Slowly getting the hang of it. If you're able to maintain good distance Jet Squelcher can be fun.

In other news, ppl at rainmaker still have no clue what this mode is about.

Top Bottom