• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 |OT2| From Smallfry to FlyFish in 5 Easy Steps!

Wiseblade

That Ink Armor nerf is savage. Bombs and blasters become much more viable even if the special remains popular. The Luna might just come back into fashion.

I was really enjoying the Tri and it had nothing to do with it being OP, it was great to battle other Tri users too. Will try a few games tonight and see how it plays still.

IMO Most people's complaints about the Tri were actually complaints about Ink Armour. They should have nerfed only the armour, not the bucket.

Oh well, what will be the next weapon people complain about being OP? They'll always complain about something.

Let me guess, rapid blaster, octobrush, maybe sloshing machine? And hydra splatling and rapid blaster pro after they are released. Splattershot? nah they're not gonna nerf it no matter what.

Crisium

Hmmm... Tri-slosher's max dmg range is still longer than 52 and splattershot's max dmg range. Well at least side sloshes are not.

But it's a big deal that those weapons outrange it now with their falloff. Especially with the trislosher's lack of shooter mobility (delay after shooting before being able to swim), it can be spaced out by a properly controlled splattershot/nzap who can kite it. And it hurts trying to do bucket unique things, like shooting over walls.

Significant nerf, not to mention damage reduction has its own implications.

But it's a big deal that those weapons outrange it now with their falloff. Especially with the trislosher's lack of shooter mobility (delay after shooting before being able to swim), it can be spaced out by a properly controlled splattershot/nzap who can kite it. And it hurts trying to do bucket unique things, like shooting over walls.

Significant nerf, not to mention damage reduction has its own implications.

Agree, the max dmg range difference is tiny. Tri-slosher right now is actually a bit weaker than it in S1, with better sub/special.

D.Lo

Tri was so good in focused murder zones (Tower, Splat Zones) due to the assist capability. Anyone already hit can be cleaned up with it. The damage reduction will probably hurt that severely.

J@hranimo

Banned
Caught some footage of the new stingray and splashdown in action. New stingray looks legit, I can see the potential of ripping people apart quicker when it's in its higher dmg mode, especially in Tower Control.

Splashdown....should not have gotten these buffs lmao. It was fine before, especially when stacking special power up. There will be new truckloads of salt from more splattershots killing people with splashdown -> burst bomb combo then ever before. I do like its extra height though.

Well, it doesn't help that they made the 'pro player' in the anime/manga, Rider, a dynamo wielder :p

( source )

This is true!

That last sentence has nothing to do with balance, you sholdn't post like everything is about business decision and behind-the-scenes stuff, the leak twitter era can rest for now, you know?

And Tri had nothing coming, you of all people here should know better than to be a scrub.

I do believe the game was rushed with how many strange decisions the game has. They even admitted that some aspects of ranked battle need to be fixed. It's apparent.

Tri-slosher was going to get nerfed because the majority of the playerbase were complaining about it. You don't need to be a "scrub" or "veteran" to expect this or not.

Nightii

Banned
A lot of angles and perches you could slosh over with the Tri can no longer, or the size of the slosh over got reduced due to the contracted arc it has now.

It still works, but now it is more of a shooter, it's the worst bucket at doing bucket things my far now.

And the BB to Slosh combo (which was already not that good due to the BB animation) is much harder now due to the damage nerf, might as well just slosh two times instead of throwing a bomb and then having to slosh twice anyway.

Just use the Nzap.

Doorman

Honestly, seeing the way ink armor interactions work now, I'm not so sure anymore that NZap is going to pick up the Tri-Slosher mantle.

The big winners out of this patch right now seem (to me, at first blush) to be Splattershot, maybe Sploosh and Splat Roller (aggressive Splashdown use in general and these three give the best maneuverability and are competent combatants), .52 Gal and Luna Blaster (both much more capable of invading and killing thanks to the Baller buffs), and perhaps chargers now that armor isn't the general total shutdown that they were before. The vanilla Splattershot in particular I think is going to rise up a lot thanks to the Splashdown overbuffs.

The Stingray change is interesting, and it continues to be the special receiving the most fundamental changes to the way it works over time, but it's a little hard to tell right now to me just where it's going to fit. Good Splatlings are going to be frightening now, though.

J@hranimo

Banned
Stingray will still remain a higher ceiling special weapon, but with this overdrive buff those who have e put it in the time will definitely see more gains with it, especially in ranked where it already did well.

More interested in the game again, not bad Splatoon devs!

Jims

Tri-Slosher just feels like a sharking weapon now. I think the weapon is going to continue getting on people's nerves in short-range skirmishes (kinda like the Carbon)... But in general, it feels hard to defend oneself now when the enemy knows where you are. Patient Tentatek players who utilize their bombs effectively are really really annoying to deal with now. I wanna play around with it more, maybe try out some Bomb Range on it or whatever.

Played some .52 Gal to try out the new Point Sensors and Baller. Baller is finally what I wished it was. Its explosion range feels right... Not crazy big or anything, but am seeing less instances of being surprised at enemy survival. It's fun/mean to send it to the enemy's drop off square in The Reef when spawn-camping. The larger Point Sensor range is definitely noticeable and definitely blocks off entire hallways better. But eh. I'm kinda doubtful whether they will really become that popular now. I think they would have to extend Echo time for people to consider them more.

Splashdown is super fun. Played some Inkbrush and used an all-Special Charge all-Sub Saver build. I think we're going to see some Special Charge abuse with this special for certain weapons. The 55 minimum damage synergizes extremely well with bomb subweapons, especially since it gives a free ink-refill. Vanilla Splattershots could do some silly things with its Burst Bombs now. If you get indirect Splashdown damage, you would just need a direct Burst Bomb or two indirects (even the 25.0 dmg indirects). Could see Splattershots just throwing two bombs after every Splashdown. You see brushes do it a lot with Splat Bombs, but it could be really interesting for a Burst Bomb weapon.

The large Stingray laser is really bad ass. Still pretty hit or miss with it, but the change is noticeable. Also found that it is harder to walk up to Stingray users and splat them once the larger laser is active. You used to be able to juuuust squeeze by it, but now you tend to clip into it more.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Tri was so good in focused murder zones (Tower, Splat Zones) due to the assist capability. Anyone already hit can be cleaned up with it. The damage reduction will probably hurt that severely.

The damage reduction wasn't especially severe. The Tri has the same damage throughout its entire hit-box, and is still a 2-hit kill. All that changed was the ability to pick up assists, and I don't think that was a bad nerf - if you were assisting, then they were distracted on two fronts and you could probably get two hits in anyway.

The reduced range and the nerfed Ink Armour were the real hits, but I think the Tri-slosher is still comfortably one of the best weapons going. The nerf was about the right level. I'm a Tri-slosher user and I'm still pretty happy.

EDIT: on a side note, how the fuck do people use the Sploosh-o-matic? This range is awful. I'm trying out other options right now I've seen used effectively, and good 'matic users are something else because I can't do anything with this thing!

Jintor

EDIT: on a side note, how the fuck do people use the Sploosh-o-matic? This range is awful. I'm trying out other options right now I've seen used effectively, and good 'matic users are something else because I can't do anything with this thing!

Flanking, map control, and ninja squid mainly

I love it

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Flanking, map control, and ninja squid mainly

I love it

Don't you feel woefully team dependent? At least as a bucket, I feel like, hey, if my team's terrible, I can more-or-less play solo and still do a lot, I can drag a fair amount. When using the Sploosh-o-matic, if my team aren't spreading enough ink to give me movement options, I am fuckedy-fuck-fucked.

random25

Curling bomb is a good distracting tool and pathway creator to approach targets. I'm not as good as the sploosh veterans but I picked up some of their moves while watching.

Don't you feel woefully team dependent? At least as a bucket, I feel like, hey, if my team's terrible, I can more-or-less play solo and still do a lot, I can drag a fair amount. When using the Sploosh-o-matic, if my team aren't spreading enough ink to give me movement options, I am fuckedy-fuck-fucked.

Use the Curling Bomb. Love the Curling Bomb. Be the Curling Bomb. It makes the Sploosh a godly flanker.

Perks like Swim Speed, Sub +, Ink Recovery, and Sub Saver (optionally Ninja Squid too, but I don't like the slow down) make you really hard to catch so you can do some crazy distraction runs. Flanking isn't just getting kills but pulling the opponents' attention.

Regiruler

In Ranked Battle, regarding the special gauge increasing automatically based on mode-specific conditions, until now the special gauge would fill up regardless of the points required for the main weapon being used. Now, main weapons with a lower special gauge point requirement will have their gauges filled faster, and those with a higher point requirement will have their gauges filled more slowly.

When the hell was this detailed to be a thing?

EDIT: The Jr. Custom is being added tonight. It doesn't have toxic mist like it should have though, what's the point of completely redefining weapon sets? The Jr. Custom was the ultimate debuff weapon for having access to both tracking and disruptors, this should have been something like toxic mist and inkstorm.

Good job I grinded the last Splatfest tee, :phew:
The update changes would've added hours to getting this set-up

DJMQI2aUEAAV70x.jpg:large

Still wish the males could wear the trousers females have :(

Regiruler

I thought you did all 3 slots on a splatfest tee before cashing in the chunks. This is an improvement for the way I've been doing it.

J@hranimo

Banned
New weapon is the Custom Splattershot Jr.

It has autobomb and inkstorm, just like the Carbon Roller. Releases the same time as the other weapons before.

What's interesting about this is that it is the first variant weapon DLC we've gotten so far.

Edit: Beaten!

Well I'm looking forward to this for now cause even though the weapon is kinda eh I like the kit is has. Plus the carbon roller is trash right now so I'm putting that down until it hopefully gets the right buffs next month.

Jintor

no, the splooshomatic rate of fire is so high you should be the one doing the inkspreading. what your team is for is to distract while you get in close or path around. Curling bomb + ninja squid is godly because once you disappear you can juke and dodge and confuse the fuck outta them

I thought you did all 3 slots on a splatfest tee before cashing in the chunks. This is an improvement for the way I've been doing it.

For efficiency I was just doing the first two, so post-update 12,000 exp becomes 15,000 with my method.
It seemed a waste getting 12,000 exp for the third slot when you could just scrub and regain the first slot for only 4,000 exp.

Crisium

The damage reduction wasn't especially severe. The Tri has the same damage throughout its entire hit-box, and is still a 2-hit kill. All that changed was the ability to pick up assists, and I don't think that was a bad nerf - if you were assisting, then they were distracted on two fronts and you could probably get two hits in anyway.

There are other implications to a damage nerf than teammates synergy.

Non consecutive shots. When there's a delay between your first and second shots regen can kick in. But before regen would have to heal at least 24 to require a third shot, now it only needs to heal over 4. That time difference will mean more situations needing a third shot now.

Falloff damage from high ground. While tri could easily fall below 50 damage from the high ground before, there was also a range where it would do between 50 and 62. The new range between 50 and 52 is much smaller. So some engagements from the high ground will now take three shots when before it was two.

Objects. Rainmaker, splash wall, baller. Also Brella. They will absorb more shots. They do sometimes use damage modifiers for certain weapons, but I didn't see a patch note about it so I will assume object damage is reduced too.

Unless you only fight 1v1 on flat terrain with a gentlemen's agreement to only hold forward and mash ZR you will likely experience at least one of these situations most games. I'm sure there's more as well.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I am aware of those three situations, but I find them relatively minor. Tr-slosher is a pressing weapon, it's not often someone gets away to regen once you get the first blow in. There are very few objects of any significance in Splatoon for me to care about object damage.

Increased fall-off damage is annoying, but it doesn't really change the Tr-Slosher's viability significantly since if you have the high ground with Tri-slosher, you're still in a position of enormous advantage. It just makes disengagement more possible for the opposing player. In an objective match, you've still defended the objective.

It is still one of the best weapons going and I don't think its usage stats will change significantly.

Branduil

Man the Sting Ray is fucking good now. Between that and the Tri-Slosher nerf I think we're gonna see a lot of people switch to Sloshing Machine.

phanphare

Banned
New weapon is the Custom Splattershot Jr.

It has autobomb and inkstorm, just like the Carbon Roller. Releases the same time as the other weapons before.

What's interesting about this is that it is the first variant weapon DLC we've gotten so far.

Edit: Beaten!

Well I'm looking forward to this for now cause even though the weapon is kinda eh I like the kit is has. Plus the carbon roller is trash right now so I'm putting that down until it hopefully gets the right buffs next month.

ink storms.....ink storms everywhere

Doorman

Custom Jr huh...

Like Jah mentioned it has the Carbon kit, which is a kit I really like a lot on that, but the Carbon isn't quite where it needs to be to make the most of it. CJr will be able to build inkstorm more, but it's not like the Jr as a weapon has much of any easier time offensively than the Carbon does so I'm not so sure it's worth the switch. You'll have to be very keen about spacing and avoiding direct encounters.

Plus, I still have some...history with the Custom Jr from the first game. Even if it's decent, on principle I'm not sure I could bring myself to go through that again.

phanphare

Banned
the custom jr was so good early in the splatoon 1 meta, for turf anyway. people didn't know what the fuck to do when they got disrupted. still one of my highest inking weapons from that game and I probably stopped using it around july of 2015.

Regiruler

the custom jr was so good early in the splatoon 1 meta, for turf anyway. people didn't know what the fuck to do when they got disrupted. still one of my highest inking weapons from that game and I probably stopped using it around july of 2015.
I miss disruptors but they probably got rid of then because they obliterated brushes.

DrArchon

Custom Jr looks pretty good on paper. Auto-Bombs are great as we all should know by know, and Ink Storm just got buffed. I wouldn't have put if over the normal Jr had it not been for the Ink Armor nerf though.

I'm not a huge fan of the Jr as a gun itself though. I wish it killed in one less shot than it does. It's great for turfing, which will be even better with the Ink Storm, but I just wish it could kill a tiny bit better than it does, though I guess that would infringe on the Sploosh's turf.

Whatever, I'll give it a try. If nothing else I'll try just about anything with Auto-Bombs.

zenspider

I was really enjoying the Tri and it had nothing to do with it being OP, it was great to battle other Tri users too. Will try a few games tonight and see how it plays still.

IMO Most people's complaints about the Tri were actually complaints about Ink Armour. They should have nerfed only the armour, not the bucket.

Oh well, what will be the next weapon people complain about being OP? They'll always complain about something.

My complaints about the Tri were having max damage on the full spread. In S1 the "wings" were less damage so you really had to get caught in a bad position to lose a duel to loadoutIt's also difficult to see the Ink Armor through Tri's fire at certain common angles of engagement. This, plus b-bombs and Ink Armor is such a "go ham" loadout in a game where that playstyle has been "nerfed" across the board: no instant invincible specials, splash walls taken off strong mid range and long range weapons (Jet, 52, and 96 gal), burst bombs taken off custom jet and eLiter, etc.

Also fight beings generally shorter (you can lose a match in 1-2 deaths) and the way maps are designed now - losing tge first team fight and having a Tri-Slosher with special and high ground on your spawn (maybe with ninja as well) is an OP position.

Really liking the buffs on the supers. It's nice having them on tap much faster than normal. Also... Sting Ray is super fun to use now. Feels like I'm firing off a full power Kamehameha after your pass the threshold. Scared off many squids off the borders in Inkblot Academy. :D

30 matches, even with all the sub/special buff I didn't see a single .52Gal in A+ rank besides myself. There's less tri-slosher, more RG, splattershot and sloshing machine from what I experienced.

Splattershot Jr? I'm dissapointed.

Every week has been something new: squiffer, brella, sloshing machine, bubble blower thingie so a kit that adds nothing that wasn't already in is kind of a let down. I know we had to start getting to the kits that didn't have anything fresh but I'm surrpised it was now considering there's still stuff like the Hydra Splatling, Squeezer, Tetra Duelies and whatnot hiding away :/

Grakl

I hope you all realize it's not because of the Baller that the Aerospray is suddenly risen in the meta. Sure, the Baller is better, but the Aerospray has always had unrivaled map control through it's excellent inking ability and perfect close range kill ability. The Baller is just icing on the cake. I guess people needed a good special to finally realize how good the Aerospray is. We should all aeroPray for a nerf. I've been calling for nerfs since release; we better finally see it.

I hope you all realize it's not because of the Baller that the Aerospray is suddenly risen in the meta. Sure, the Baller is better, but the Aerospray has always had unrivaled map control through it's excellent inking ability and perfect close range kill ability. The Baller is just icing on the cake. I guess people needed a good special to finally realize how good the Aerospray is. We should all aeroPray for a nerf. I've been calling for nerfs since release; we better finally see it.

Ehh... as a sometimes Sploosh main, I just don't ever encounter any situations where an Aerospray is in any way superior to my Sploosh - with the exception of spammy bomb launcher 'sprays.

Edit: basically with my Sploosh I'm faster moving, quicker killing and I will splashdown anybody who surprises me.

Top Bottom