• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 review thread

I think it will hew too closely to the first. And half the reviewers will bemoan the voice chat limitation.

Reviews for the first game only accounted for single player and turf war. Not sure if they'll get to play Ranked, but at least Salmon Run.
Shouldn't be lower than the first I think

oti

Banned
I can see it either way. The game should be judged for what's in the package, and if that lacks a simple voice chat solution that would greatly enhance it, then that opinion should be included.

But I also don't think a system-level decision should necessarily impact a game's score. In this case, there's nothing the game development team could do to improve the in-game chat experience due to a corporate decision.

I see where you're coming from. But if a game is dependant on a feature that is bad on a system level, that doesn't make the bad magically go away.

The amount of misinformation on this game is kinda sad. Not sure where half of this came from and why it seems to be judged differently than other shooters.

The inital leak called it a port.

flkraven

I mean... I don't look at it that way. I can see why people do though. I think the chat is a tacked on pos. The voice chat isn't going to be exclusive to Splatoon 2. So if people say "the voice chat is shit"... that means every game going forward that wants to implement vc should get docked in their score. No matter how good the game is. Which I think is crazy imo. Just judge the game.

In previous eras games would get docked points on other platforms because of motion controls (Wii era) or because of hardware limitations. I don't think this will be treated any differently, especially in an age where multiplayer gaming has grown exponentially and voice chat is entirely expected. I think Nintendo underestimated it's importance, and I think reviews will suffer because of it.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I mean... I don't look at it that way. I can see why people do though. I think the chat is a tacked on pos. The voice chat isn't going to be exclusive to Splatoon 2. So if people say "the voice chat is shit"... that means every game going forward that wants to implement vc should get docked in their score. No matter how good the game is. Which I think is crazy imo. Just judge the game.

Voice chat is a big part of these games. If voice chat is difficult and poorly implemented, regardless of the reason, then that is going to negatively impact the enjoyment of the game.

Zia

Is this an exclusively American problem?

Not exclusively but it's more prevalent in American pubs. More of a focus on "Value" and I think the needle has shifted a bit too far in evaluating subtle iteration in response to the Madden-COD "problem."

I see where you're coming from. But if a game is dependant on a feature that is bad on a system level, that doesn't make the bad magically go away.

I'm pretty sure we saw it before any leaked info. Looked sequel-y to me.

Should be: 79-82 if it's just almost the same game as 1 without any new cool modes or ideas even if it's fun. And no, a lame ass horde mode doesn't count.
+ That smartphone app nonsense.

Will be: 92-94 cause it's a Nintendo game.
XW8udhr.jpg

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Betting sub 70 due to shitty motion controls

Lmao

That would be the threshold at which I'd start sympathizing with people who shit on reviewers.

Thankfully, we're not going there lol.

While you guys are discussing the review, please beware that some songs of Off The Hook are leaked on youtube. Please be careful if you want to avoid spoilers.

Yes, Splatoon music is notorious for its spoilery lyrics ;)

While you guys are discussing the review, please beware that some songs of Off The Hook are leaked on youtube. Please be careful if you want to avoid spoilers.

J@hranimo

Banned
The amount of misinformation on this game is kinda sad. Not sure where half of this came from and why it seems to be judged differently than other shooters.

I think it's safe to say it stems from unrealistic expectations from the "Splatoon port" rumors throughout last year.

2016 was a rough year for some lol.

Betting sub 70 due to shitty motion controls

If you're gonna shitpost, please do a better job bruh.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
I'd imagine it would land anywhere from 81-85

Slightly better than the first game's scoring, because the starting package has more content this time around

13ruce

Banned

Yup Overwatch is fine for example COD too but Splatoon 2 suddenly is not cmon....
Mario Kart had the same ganeplay since the start and people love that same for COD. And just like Splatoon 2 the sequels added things and modes and nice gameplay improvents or QoL's.

This is why i don't get the port and other crazy ports it improved/changed content and gameplay wise just like those games. But instead of a reskin or new setting it's a sequel to the previous one.

Gameplay evolutions like singleplayer games won't happen... Look at COD, MK and alot of other nultiplayer games their core gameplay is still the same it's just highly improved.

If those games are fine why not Splatoon 2?
I guess misinformation or the graphics/style lookig the same is it? I dunno but i am gonna have fun with the game regardless. Just like how i had fun in samey games like Mariokart and COD.

Gestault

The [exagerrated] counterpoint I'd make is to imagine a system with no analog stick that features games built around needing analog controls: Technically, that effects every game on the system. An extension of your reasoning would seem to say it's not fair to criticize any single game for being less good because an input isn't there. With Splatoon 2, I think it's easy enough to make the case for straightforward communication being a useful (or at least desirable) input.

In previous eras games would get docked points on other platforms because of motion controls (Wii era) or because of hardware limitations. I don't think this will be treated any differently, especially in an age where multiplayer gaming has grown exponentially and voice chat is entirely expected. I think Nintendo underestimated it's importance, and I think reviews will suffer because of it.

Voice chat is a big part of these games. If voice chat is difficult and poorly implemented, regardless of the reason, then that is going to negatively impact the enjoyment of the game.

Yes, I agree with you guys that reviewers are going to knock it for the voice chat. I'm just of the mind that they shouldn't. After reviewing a certain amount of games that use vc, we'll get to the point where we're "beating a dead horse". It's like knocking PS4 games cause we can't use the DS4 wirelessly for 6 hours without charging because the battery sucks. At least that's how I look at it.

Alienous

I'm expecting high 80s. Something like a Metacritic rating of 89.

A lot of 9s. More 8s than 10s.

Its probably the most 'complete' Nintendo Switch exclusive thus far. A flagship title.

Yukinari

It deserves a higher score than the original on the merit of actually launching fully featured.

The free DLC doesnt scream unfinished for this one.

Gestault

Yes, I agree with you guys that reviewers are going to knock it for the voice chat. I'm just of the mind that they shouldn't. After reviewing a certain amount of games that use vc, we'll get to the point where we're "beating a dead horse". It's like knocking PS4 games cause we can't use the DS4 wirelessly for 6 hours without charging because the battery sucks. At least that's how I look at it.

You don't see a difference between something immediate and gameplay-centered like communication in multiplayer and a scenario like a wireless controller battery eventually running out?

th4tguy

Later leaks stated it was a port that kept getting added to and changed until they decided just to turn it into a sequel, so it's understandable to me where a lot of the confusion has come from.
Game wasn't even initially announced as splatoon 2.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Later leaks stated it was a port that kept getting added to and changed until they decided just to turn it into a sequel, so it's understandable to me where a lot of the confusion has come from.
?
Show me where it was first announced as something else

I'm gonna guess 92. I never really played the original but everyone seemed to love it. This looks like a refined more of the same and improved sequel that will do very well.

You don't see a difference between something immediate and gameplay-centered like communication in multiplayer and a scenario like a wireless controller battery eventually running out?

Of course I see a difference. I'm just referring to things that negatively affect a player's "experience" with a game. I just think the actual game and the smartphone app should be judged separately. That's all I'm saying. If you disagree with that it's fine.

Renna Hazel

I'm going to guess it scores around 84 or so. I'm sure it will be bashed for being more of the same, something that doesn't bother me much if it's only the second game in the series.

With that said, I was pretty disappointed to not see any new VS modes in Splatoon 2. I was pretty sure we'd have at least one at launch. Mode rotation still being there is also very annoying.

Zedark

Actually, the confusion would never be there if leakers didn't insist we'd get a port. Remove those claims, and there is no basis to state it's a port (not that people won't push that ridiculous notion anyway).

Top Bottom