• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 review thread

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Not gonna lie ... this game is the reason I picked up a Switch. No pressure...

(I played BotW on WiiU)

Same for me. Splatoon was my game of the WiiU, so when they announced the first year of Switch would have a sequel I instantly per-ordered the console.

Hoping Splatbrella update comes within the first two weeks

RockmanBN

I can't see it possibly doing worse than this.

8d14339f56d9a3b26bb9a483d69201f9.png

totowhoa

Banned
I will probs still get it even tho I cancelled pre order. Might go digital. This would be a good one to have digital right??

Honestly I really wished I'd bought Splatoon 1 digital since it's a great game to pop in for a few rounds. Probably even moreso for you if you'll be in handheld mode 90% of the time.

But since Amazon had a 20% off discount on the physical version, I fucked up and went that way again :( Oh well.

Doorman

Jim Sterling better keep his head down, lol.
For what it's worth, Sterling was actually really positive about the first Splatoon.

Moreso than guessing at number scores, I'm just curious how reviewer sentiment for this will go in a few contexts. How familiar will reviewers really be with what's new or changed between this and Splatoon? Will they take into account how those changes and additions alter game balance? A lot of reviews still scored Mario Kart 8 Deluxe pretty highly, and that literally is the same content as the last entry in the series. So if they dock Splatoon 2 for feeling "too familiar" despite all that's new, we'll be dealing with a really bizarre double standard.

LordKano

Should be: 79-82 if it's just almost the same game as 1 without any new cool modes or ideas even if it's fun. And no, a lame ass horde mode doesn't count.
+ That smartphone app nonsense.

Will be: 92-94 cause it's a Nintendo game.

The salt, it's already coming.

takoyaki

Expecting a score in the high 80s, 86-89. More of the same, but better and portable.

Haven't played Splatoon since 2015 and I can't wait to jump back in on Switch!

Arms has a metacritic of 77 though.

In any case, im expecting mid 80s for splat tim.
Improves over the original in every way but the incentive for old players to buy again isnt huge.
IDK man. Incentive for old player is precisely MORE Splatoon. We are not talking about Splatoon 7 here. This is the second entry in a game 2+ years old now

cmChimera

Should be: 79-82 if it's just almost the same game as 1 without any new cool modes or ideas even if it's fun. And no, a lame ass horde mode doesn't count.
+ That smartphone app nonsense.

Will be: 92-94 cause it's a Nintendo game.

You: No new modes
Also you: Mentions new mode.

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah. I very much understood the scores for the first game at launch as well, because it really didn't have that much content at launch. It was missing all ranked modes, and the weapon list was much shorter. In comparison, Splatoon 2 has all that out the gate alongside their usual weekly update stream.

Splatoon games only get better over time

Geg

First game had most of its points docked due to lack of content at launch. That probably won't be an issue this time but I still expect to see complaints from reviewers who didn't play much of the first game saying it feels like more of the same.

If MK8D can get in the 90s by literally adding a few new characters, better battle mode, and balance changes then I can see Splatoon 2 scoring decently better than the original.

Renna Hazel

For what it's worth, Sterling was actually really positive about the first Splatoon.

Moreso than guessing at number scores, I'm just curious how reviewer sentiment for this will go in a few contexts. How familiar will reviewers really be with what's new or changed between this and Splatoon? Will they take into account how those changes and additions alter game balance? A lot of reviews still scored Mario Kart 8 Deluxe pretty highly, and that literally is the same content as the last entry in the series. So if they dock Splatoon 2 for feeling "too familiar" despite all that's new, we'll be dealing with a really bizarre double standard.

I think enhanced ports are held to different standards than actual sequels. With all the remasters we get these days, that makes sense to score those for what they are. Splatoon 2 should be held to a different standard than MK8 Deluxe.

erikNORML

Neo Member
Honestly I really wished I'd bought Splatoon 1 digital since it's a great game to pop in for a few rounds. Probably even moreso for you if you'll be in handheld mode 90% of the time.

But since Amazon had a 20% off discount on the physical version, I fucked up and went that way again :( Oh well.

I end up getting all my games on Prime because of the preorder discount (and that I love having a physical box and cartridge), but it would be really great if Switch began offering the ability to install games you own physically if you so choose, would definitely take that extra step with games like this and MK8D.

If MK8D can get in the 90s by literally adding a few new characters, better battle mode, and balance changes then I can see Splatoon 2 scoring decently better than the original.

Well one of those is billed as a port rather than a sequel, but yeah I generally agree.

Thinking about it though, they're both full price games so I'm not sure why it should matter to reviewers what the game is called.

Dre3001

Fully expecting a score of around 83

Game will be an improvement over the first but a few small annoyances remain which Nintendo won't change due to design of game (weapon switching between rounds, mode rotation, etc)

Not to mention the game will get knocked for nonsensical voice app solution.

For every improvement a few small knocks will keep the score lower than it should be.

Croc

Banned

well, the difference here being that MK8D is being sold as an enhanced port whereas S2 is being sold as a sequel. Not that I agree with people saying S2 is just a port but I think title does make a bit of a difference in this comparison

BitStyle

Unconfirmed Member
Fully expecting a score of around 83

Game will be an improvement over the first but a few small annoyances remain which Nintendo won't change due to design of game (weapon switching between rounds, mode rotation, etc)

Not to mention the game will get knocked for nonsensical voice app solution.

For every improvement a few small knocks will keep the score lower than it should be.
It still boggles my mind that Nintendo hasn't included this yet. Pisses me off having to leave a lobby every time I want to change a weapon.

Well one of those is billed as a port rather than a sequel, but yeah I generally agree.

Thinking about it though, they're both full price games so I'm not sure why it should matter to reviewers what the game is called.
Yeah, that's the thing Splatoon 2 is a sequel but like MK8D basically makes the base game a lot grander and better(more variety in story mode and unique levels=completely refined battle mode)

Predicting an 85.

So how is everyone planning to figure out their voice chat solution when playing this game?

My friends and I are probably just going to use Discord on our phones + bluetooth headsets. Totally separate from the actual game.

Pepboy

Think it will be low 80s MC, maaaybe high 70s. Newcomers may score it highly but seems too much like expansion pack for the price to score 90s.

OmegaFax

The story mode in the first game was underrated. It was a decent challenge and blended in and taught you some mechanics, had some unique platforming aspects, and wasn't just a cheap player vs. bot match. Only gripe was that Amiibo were the only way to unlock the same levels with different weapons.

Doorman

Yes I know, but a "new mode" can't be more lame as a horde mode. So I really don't want to count that. That's just cheap.

Of course I exaggerate a bit. ;)
Fortunately, every early impression I've seen implies that Salmon Run is not lame, but actually very fun and well-made!

Even if reviewers got to use the phone app which doesn't launch till Friday, don't see why any would deduct points for it at least to have a serious impact on the average.

Simbabbad

Why not? It's basically the same game with minor upgrades, and those seldom score as high as the original, since the novelty effect wore off.

This being said, Splatoon on Wii U was underrated because reviewers couldn't guess the numerous updates we've had.

Still, for someone who owned a Wii U, this is yet again a game they already played. Still not seeing the point of the Switch.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
I still don't understand the people calling it a port or an expansion pack, can someone explain how an iterative sequel is now classified as a port?

DrArchon

I'm betting on seeing on a lot of hot takes from people saying it's "fresh, but not fresh enough" as a sequel.

Still hoping on upper 80s though.

Top Bottom