• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 sold 671K in Japan in its first 3 days (physical) (Famitsu)

I wonder how much of an impact local wireless multiplayer modes will have in Japan.
I believe you can play Salmon Run whenever you want locally. Not sure if you still earn Gear/rewards but I think it's something that could attract the MH crowd

I am pretty sure Spla2n will go viral in the next weeks in Japan since its portable now, the masses awareness will rise

I really hope s2 and dqxi can co-exist and break records

Yeah Splatoon seems like it will now be part of Nintendo's future core franchises. I expect it to be more of a once in a generation type thing though every 5-6 years or so for the main titles. Like the future of Mario Kart or what Smash has been.

random25

Having this strong of a launch bodes well for future updates. Hopefully this guarantees a generation-long Splatfest lol.

Ayup. Got like 10 pages in the Media Create thread.

I haven't been reading MC threads. I missed a lot of things I guess.

Yeah Splatoon seems like it will now be part of Nintendo's future core franchises. I expect it to be more of a once in a generation type thing though every 5 years or so for the main titles. Like the future of Mario Kart or what Smash has been.

I hope Nintendo doesn't turn it into an every two franchise. I'd rather them put more into Splatoon (especially single player and offline multiplayer) than spitting them out every two years. If they keep it like Smash and Mario Kart (kind of expect a little more from this), then it's fine.

Zedark

Great number, Switch stock is reasonable for the situation, let's hope it continues to grow steady after this week.

noshten

Splatoon on Wii U FY:

Media Create Sales: Week 22, 2015 (May 25 - May 31)
01./00. [WIU] Splatoon <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 144.818 / NEW <97,33%> [Units Shipped => 148.791]

Media Create Sales: Week 53, 2015 (Dec 28 - Jan 03)
03./05. [WIU] Splatoon # <ACT> (Nintendo) {2015.05.28} (¥6.156) - 60.447 / 1.153.989 (-36%)

On average Splatoon did 32K per week since launch on the Wii U during it's first year in Japan. I'd think that on average I expect Splatoon 2 to be around 100K per week until the end of the year. This is with the presumption that Nintendo will ship a little over 3.5 million in Japan until the end of the year. This will lead to around 3 million for Splatoon 2 in Japan for 2017. I don't think it's possible for Nintendo to ship less than 3.5 million in Japan for 2017. They have shipped 1.2 million thus far with 25 weeks to go, December is the biggest sales month in Japan and anything below 1 million will be awful(3DS sold 1.6 mil in December during it's launch year).

MoonFrog

I am pretty sure Spla2n will go viral in the next weeks in Japan since its portable now, the masses awareness will rise

I really hope s2 and dqxi can co-exist and break records

Jesus. I wish I knew Japanese :(. It is going to be a hard 6-12 months or so after the 29th.

But yeah, Switch managing 100k shipment (not great but better than people were beginning to expect) and Splatoon doing well hopefully leads nicely into a great DQXI launch coupled with joyous impressions that make the wait all the more awful :p.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Great sales. And well deserved. I wonder if SMO will top this or Splatoon will be the best Switch game launch this year?

Now that Splatoon is A list for Nintendo, get those spinoffs coming. I want my idol rhythm game asap.

This is a great idea. Let's get some spinoffs now. Keep the main series about one per gen with a spinoff here and there.

Hmm I don't really care for rhythm games. I'll take a 2D platformer of some kind.

Jesus. I wish I knew Japanese :(. It is going to be a hard 6-12 months or so after the 29th.

But yeah, Switch managing 100k shipment (not great but better than people were beginning to expect) and Splatoon doing well hopefully leads nicely into a great DQXI launch coupled with joyous impressions that make the wait all the more awful :p.

A bit off-topic but i am feeling a January 2018 western release date for Dragon Quest. Mark my words ;), i do not know japanese either but will import the ps4 version anyways haha
:(

Mory Dunz

This is a great idea. Let's get some spinoffs now. Keep the main series about one per gen with a spinoff here and there.

Hmm I don't really care for rhythm games. I'll take a 2D platformer of some kind.

I'm down with an RPG. Heck I'm down with an JRPG from any Nintendo IP (Zelda would be nice) if Paper mario doesn't return to form.

Great sales. And well deserved. I wonder if SMO will top this or Splatoon will be the best Switch game launch this year?

Naw I don't see that happening. Splatoon is top dog.

I'm down with an RPG. Heck I'm down with an JRPG from any Nintendo IP (Zelda would be nice) if Paper mario doesn't return to form.

RPG was going to be my second choice.

Please...can we go back to RPG Paper Mario again! Enough with the experimentations. Same with Mario Party. Enough is enough. Give me tried and true. Give me what made those series great again.

To get a little off topic this is when Nintendo should be capitalizing on a IP that's growing so much. I would try to open a Splatoon seafood restaurant. They should open a Splatoon paint ball arena or something like that. Look to something else that's not video games.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
To get a little off topic this is when Nintendo should be capitalizing on a IP that's growing so much. I would try to open a Splatoon seafood restaurant. They should open a Splatoon paint ball arena or something like that. Look to something else that's not video games.
isn't it a bit morbid eating splatoon characters

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wow.

That doesnt include digital sales either. Im guessing its above 20% for sure.

isn't it a bit morbid eating splatoon characters

3709faca94ef14243df9a1727da6ce13.jpg

It is not.

For longtime N fans, it absolutely was
Yeah, I remember this.

Granted, I didn't live in the US at the time, so idk what it was like here, but Mario, Zelda, and Metroid being a Nintendo "holy trinity" of sorts was certainly a thing that was around for a while back then (talking about the NES/SNES days.)

Top Bottom