• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

Pachimari

Where are these Splatoon 2 pics at?

Every weapon equippable in the game is a preset kit of main weapon, sub weapon, and special. Every main weapon has at least one variant with a different sub/special combo as well.
In addition, your headgear, shirt, and shoes all have abilities tied to them that will change certain stats (movement speed, ink efficiency, etc.) and that's used to customize your particular playstyle.

This makes really good sense. Had no idea customs would change stats as well, that's nice!

Jims

So Slosher's kit is suction bomb/tentamissiles and Splatling is sprinkler/stingray. Quite a change for the Slosher while the Splatling resembles the Remix version from the first game.

Yuck, it's like another Soda Slosher. It's not horrible, but I personally don't like how traditional bombs synchronize with sloshers... It needs a subweapon that can help its slower TTK and regular bombs don't help a ton with that. It just becomes a super zoning weapon that gets bopped on the head constantly by Splooshes and Splattershots. Suction Bombs are probably better than Splat Bombs, though, for this weapon.

Hoping we get the old variations with Burst Bombs and Splash Walls (prefer the burst bombs more if we only get one). A version with the new Poison Mist, Point Sensor, or Curling Bomb (depending on Curling Bomb damage output) could be fun.

Doorman

So, let's recap what we have now for the E3 build:

Splattershot - Burst bomb - Splashdown
Splat Roller - Curling bomb - Splashdown
Splat Charger - Splat Bomb - Stingray
Splat Dualies - Burst bomb - Tenta Missiles
Splatterscope - Splat bomb - Stingray
Slosher - Suction bomb - Tenta Missiles
Octobrush - Autobomb - Inkjet
Blaster - Toxic Mist (Mistruptor!) - Splashdown
Splash-o-Matic - Toxic Mist - Inkjet
Heavy Splatling - Sprinkler - Stingray
Dynamo Roller - Inkmine - Stingray
Splattershot Pro - Point Sensor - Ink Storm

Additionally we know the Tentatek Splattershot exists again but don't have an official kit, and the Splash Wall and Beakon are back but not on any kit we know of yet.

Well? Got any favorites yet? Some of these seem stronger than others to me, but none that I feel immediately in love with.

Geg

The twitter also confirms that the initial 4 weapons changed again for the E3 build:

Splattershot: Burst Bomb/Splashdown
Roller: Curling Bomb/Splashdown
Charger: Splash Bomb/Stingray, still the same as before
Dualies: Burst Bomb/Tentamissiles

Yeah I hope they change it back to giving Splattershot tentamissiles

edit: Dammit doorman

Jims

Well? Got any favorites yet? Some of these seem stronger than others to me, but none that I feel immediately in love with.

None blow me away either, but I like the kits for the:
Splat Dualies (super aggressive combo with the Burst Bombs)
Blaster (I don't really like blasters, but poison mist and splashdown sounds well-rounded)
Splash-o-Matic (could play a little like the Zimi meets Tentatek)
Splattershot Pro (I like the original Forge kit)

The twitter also confirms that the initial 4 weapons changed again for the E3 build:

Splattershot: Burst Bomb/Splashdown
Roller: Curling Bomb/Splashdown
Charger: Splash Bomb/Stingray, still the same as before
Dualies: Burst Bomb/Tentamissiles

Yeah I hope they change it back to giving Splattershot tentamissiles

edit: Dammit doorman
Interesting changes. Still gonna miss the splat bomb with the splattershot pro.

Aldric

Well? Got any favorites yet?

The only weapon l've played extensively on this list is the Octobrush and l don't know what to think of this new kit yet. lt feels like a weird variation of the Nouveau that could be very well rounded but l need to try the autobombs to see if they're a useful sub and not just a worse version of the seekers.

Geg

Out of all the weapons and kits we've seen so far the Pro is looking like the best weapon for me. I hope later on the Tentamissiles will be on more weapons I actually want to play on

phanphare

Banned
there was a new Splat Chat uploaded. it's pretty much a bunch of nothing but they did confirm that recon mode is back so you can check out the available maps in the rotation.

the only little tidbit was they showed some differences in The Reef map for different modes

Rl9P2av.jpg

JqaA3tk.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ah2qUkwgafI

Geg

It also has I think the first footage of the fully redesigned Moray Towers.

Also confirms that the sponges from the first game's single player will be in the multiplayer stages here in some way, though there have already been some screenshots of those

Moondrop

Banned
Blaster - Toxic Mist (Mistruptor!) - Splashdown
Splash-o-Matic - Toxic Mist - Inkjet
These are most interesting to me. The original disruptor was only paired with bubbler, echolocator, and killer wail. No inkzooka, kraken, or even inkstrike.

If the new "disruptor" is paired with offensive specials, it makes me questions how much it will actually slow squids down.

pariah164

As someone who missed out on the first Splatoon due to not having a Wii U, but very interested in this sequel, would it behoove me to watch some Splatoon 1 story videos before the release of this game?

Jintor

As someone who missed out on the first Splatoon due to not having a Wii U, but very interested in this sequel, would it behoove me to watch some Splatoon 1 story videos before the release of this game?

nah not really. it's just some interesting bits, but the story isn't that big really.

tsundoku

man, I really liked the tenta missiles with the splattershot
They just wanted to show off a set of 3 bombs 4 specials and 4 default weapons for that demo
the splattershot with the tentamissiles was fucked broken
the only thing that stops me in s1 is having to look at a map to drop my inkstrikes

Geg

New abilities:

Special Power Up - Increases the performance of your Special in some way, such as increase the Tentamissile's reticle.

Sub Power Up - Increases the performance of your Sub Weapon in some way, such as increasing the range you can throw bombs, which Bomb Toss Up did in the previous game, or increase the area of effect of Ink Mines.

Altered abilities:

Ink Resistance Up - Basically the same as the previous game only now it's a stackable ability instead of just a single ability you can only have on your shoes.

Quick Respawn - Now only takes effect if you die more than once in a row without defeating any enemy players.

random25

Seems like the sub power up is rolling up all the different sub power ups in the first game into a single element. Seems like a good idea.

The quick respawn got a nerf. Interesting. I never realized it was OP in the first game anyway.

Jims

Interesting changes.

I like the Quick Respawn change, it really seems very specifically designed to curb the brainless, "Jump in stupidly aggressively and hope for a trade" thing. Although it kinda feels like it might be worthless now, if it doesn't do anything when you keep splatting opponents. I guess you could still rush in and hope for a trade in a clutch situation, you just can't do it over and over and over again.

If Damage Up and Defense Up is truly gone for the main weapons, I get the decision... They were probably tired of having to manage how to balance the Tentatek/.52/.96/etc while having to take into account how much junk people were stacking in there. Seems like a play for Nintendo to have more gameplay control, which seems a little less layered/customizable to me. I still kinda question whether Defense Up will be back for the main weapon (maybe they split it) as a counter against .52s and stuff. I dunno.

I was gonna suggest that Sub Power Up would be how people would boost their Burst Bomb damage, but the note specifically said it would serve as Bomb Range Up for that weapon. Seems like another indication that Nintendo is tired of balancing while accounting for damage variance. We'll see, it's still super early, maybe they'll introduce more damage/defense stuff later. The changes so far seem like a move away from the damage/defense game.

Still no appearance of Stealth Jump yet... :)

Geg

The quick respawn got a nerf. Interesting. I never realized it was OP in the first game anyway.

It started being heavily abused later in Splatoon's life, and went kind of out of control after the team stopped paying attention to the game & giving it balance updates in order to focus on Splatoon 2.

Just stacking tons of QR was an easy way for bad players to advance to S or S+ without learning how to play the game, and then infected the competitive community too because most of them are slaves to the meta

ffdgh

Ouch at that quick respawn nerf. GGs aggro roller/blaster in tower control lol. Nice buff to ink resistance and sub bonuses being unique is nice.

Doorman

I apologize, Splatoon devs, for doubting you when most of the changes made over time to the base game were done quite creatively and intelligently. I like a lot of what they're doing with some of the new and changed abilities and makes each one feel more generally useful instead of being situational. With no more bubbler or kraken, special duration would have been especially useless, so now we have Special Boost (or whatever its localized name will be) instead to provide a more relevant benefit based on whatever kit you're using. Likewise, Sub Boost does away with the old bomb range up and gives us an ability that also works with mines and other non-bomb subs. I do wonder, though...what can they possibly use sub boost on to benefit beakons? It can't just be ink usage, since those perks still exist separately. Quick respawn now can go back to falling in with its original intent: a tool for less-skilled players to use to keep them engaged in playing the game, while preventing it being abused by tougher, more aggressive players.

They also showed off Sub Defense (formerly a bonus perk added to bomb sniffer) and some sort of marking time perk, though I don't know if it reduces the time you're marked yourself (a la cold-blooded), increases the time enemies are marked, or both. Between this and the change to ink resistance, I'm starting to wonder if gear-specific main-only abilities are even going to be returning?

ryechu

I apologize, Splatoon devs, for doubting you when most of the changes made over time to the base game were done quite creatively and intelligently. I like a lot of what they're doing with some of the new and changed abilities and makes each one feel more generally useful instead of being situational. With no more bubbler or kraken, special duration would have been especially useless, so now we have Special Boost (or whatever its localized name will be) instead to provide a more relevant benefit based on whatever kit you're using. Likewise, Sub Boost does away with the old bomb range up and gives us an ability that also works with mines and other non-bomb subs. I do wonder, though...what can they possibly use sub boost on to benefit beakons? It can't just be ink usage, since those perks still exist separately. Quick respawn now can go back to falling in with its original intent: a tool for less-skilled players to use to keep them engaged in playing the game, while preventing it being abused by tougher, more aggressive players.

They also showed off Sub Defense (formerly a bonus perk added to bomb sniffer) and some sort of marking time perk, though I don't know if it reduces the time you're marked yourself (a la cold-blooded), increases the time enemies are marked, or both. Between this and the change to ink resistance, I'm starting to wonder if gear-specific main-only abilities are even going to be returning?

increase beakon hp, or the beakons give you a buff that give you essentially quick super jump when jumping to it. I can't imagine it'd be something discreet such as increasing the max beakon count. Perhaps decreasing the ink cost'd be best. Ink saver and sub power up could stack in that case.

Doorman

Addendum: Turns out the official tumblr updated earlier than I thought they would, and they confirmed that the marking ability is Cold-Blooded. Still, it's a different icon than it was in the first game with the addition of the timer, so my guess is it was made stackable like ink resistance was.

This is all as exciting as new weapons to me, because I think a lot of these ability changes open the build possibilities up more. I'm not sold yet on how much people might use bomb defense or QSJ, but there are fewer abilities now that feel straight-up useless on kits compared to what we have now.

backlot

Addendum: Turns out the official tumblr updated earlier than I thought they would, and they confirmed that the marking ability is Cold-Blooded. Still, it's a different icon than it was in the first game with the addition of the timer, so my guess is it was made stackable like ink resistance was.

This is all as exciting as new weapons to me, because I think a lot of these ability changes open the build possibilities up more. I'm not sold yet on how much people might use bomb defense or QSJ, but there are fewer abilities now that feel straight-up useless on kits compared to what we have now.

Stackable Cold-Blooded would be cool. If that's the case then you could use it with Ninja Squid too (assuming it returns in the full game). Maximum stealth.

Moondrop

Banned
I'll be glad if Damage and Defense Up are indeed gone- at least one was quite effective for seemingly more than half the sets in the original. More build flavors this way. Plus I like the simplicity of knowing everyone's TTK (yeah there will probably still be range drop-off).

I'm not sold yet on how much people might use bomb defense or QSJ, but there are fewer abilities now that feel straight-up useless on kits compared to what we have now.
I'll be rolling a "death from above" QSJ + Special Boost build on vanilla roller/blaster.

Doorman

More new info and pics, this time regarding how scoring works:

The game now tracks and marks you for getting assists, and not simply whoever has the final hit on an enemy. So if you were to, say, hit someone with a blaster AoE shot and then someone else finished the job, you still get some recognition for it (also useful to have a better indication that the opponent was defeated if they snuck away from you after being engaged).

The end-of-round scoreboard will now show what seems to be your total for splats and assists (akin to how "eliminations" are focused on in Overwatch rather than final-hit kills) and the number of specials you use in the match, which seems more fair for weapon kits that aren't as well-suited for direct combat to still get some feedback. Additionally, there's apparently a button you can press to flip it back to the old-style k/d scoreboard if you still want to see how many times you were splatted.

All in all they're giving us more information, and that's not a bad thing!

DKL

Sort of related, but does anyone know if there's gonna be an E3 tournament stream or something?

Actually, a schedule for all the tournaments would be cool lol

Top Bottom