• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

Apparently Rainmaker now returns to stage centre if no one takes it after ~30 seconds or so.

In Tower Control, if a team makes a checkpoint counter go down but then loses control before it's down to zero, the checkpoint counter quickly goes back to its full value.

Want to bring this up again.

DCYOSN7VwAQ0Eio.jpg

So this pic from Hero mode Treehouse footage. There's three open slots. No.4 equipped normal shooter. One slot for brush another for blaster, and one unannounced weapon type?

Dr. Worm

Banned
New abilities:

Special Power Up - Increases the performance of your Special in some way, such as increase the Tentamissile's reticle.

Sub Power Up - Increases the performance of your Sub Weapon in some way, such as increasing the range you can throw bombs, which Bomb Toss Up did in the previous game, or increase the area of effect of Ink Mines.

Altered abilities:

Ink Resistance Up - Basically the same as the previous game only now it's a stackable ability instead of just a single ability you can only have on your shoes.

Quick Respawn - Now only takes effect if you die more than once in a row without defeating any enemy players.

I wholeheartedly support the changes that they're making. Quick Respawn definitely seems like it's meant more for newer players in Turf War.

More new info and pics, this time regarding how scoring works:

The game now tracks and marks you for getting assists, and not simply whoever has the final hit on an enemy. So if you were to, say, hit someone with a blaster AoE shot and then someone else finished the job, you still get some recognition for it (also useful to have a better indication that the opponent was defeated if they snuck away from you after being engaged).

The end-of-round scoreboard will now show what seems to be your total for splats and assists (akin to how "eliminations" are focused on in Overwatch rather than final-hit kills) and the number of specials you use in the match, which seems more fair for weapon kits that aren't as well-suited for direct combat to still get some feedback. Additionally, there's apparently a button you can press to flip it back to the old-style k/d scoreboard if you still want to see how many times you were splatted.

All in all they're giving us more information, and that's not a bad thing!

I hope they award points this time for making assists/kills as well as turfing.

It felt like there was never any incentive to play Turf War with a weapon focused on making kills as opposed to turfing (ie Blasters, Chargers) because you'd rack up twice as many points with standard Roller or Shooter.

Doorman

It felt like there was never any incentive to play Turf War with a weapon focused on making kills as opposed to turfing (ie Blasters, Chargers) because you'd rack up twice as many points with standard Roller or Shooter.

Well...splatting an opponent does cause them to explode in a not-insignificant amount of ink in your team's color, which you do get coverage points from. It also means that opponent is not doing any inking themselves for a time (assuming no quick respawn cheese, lul), which gives your team less contention to work with while doing their own inking.

Not every weapon is designed to rack up tons of points during turf wars but that doesn't mean they aren't still plenty useful in it. The only downside of it comes in the early game when the money/experience grind is so point-focused.

Aldric

l'm worried about the apparent absence of damage up. l'm a fan of Rapid Blasters and l really wanted to focus on them in Splatoon 2 but they desperately need damage up to be good and l don't think it's possible to buff the base weapon in a way that'd approximate what you can get in the first game with say two mains and six subs of damage up perks.

Jims

I retract what I said about the new vanilla slosher being another Soda. Still doesn't seem like an ideal sort of set for it, but the tournament showed that a suction bomb is useful for the weapon. Or maybe it's just hard to judge watching a slosher pro go at it in the tourney.

l'm worried about the apparent absence of damage up. l'm a fan of Rapid Blasters and l really wanted to focus on them in Splatoon 2 but they desperately need damage up to be good and l don't think it's possible to buff the base weapon in a way that'd approximate what you can get in the first game with say two mains and six subs of damage up perks.

Why not? Isn't it just extra damage they need? If they wanted to re-balance Rapid Blasters in general, they could just boost its damage output per direct/indirect hit. Without Damage or Defense around, they could totally make that kind of decision.

Aldric

Why not? Isn't it just extra damage they need? If they wanted to re-balance Rapid Blasters in general, they could just boost its damage output per base hit. Without Damage or Defense around, they could totally make that kind of decision.

Because the reason damage up Rapids are so good is that you can oneshot people with a direct hit. To emulate this they'd have to buff the base damage of the weapon from 80 to 95+ and l just can't see them doing it.

Dr. Worm

Banned
Well...splatting an opponent does cause them to explode in a not-insignificant amount of ink in your team's color, which you do get coverage points from. It also means that opponent is not doing any inking themselves for a time (assuming no quick respawn cheese, lul), which gives your team less contention to work with while doing their own inking.

Not every weapon is designed to rack up tons of points during turf wars but that doesn't mean they aren't still plenty useful in it. The only downside of it comes in the early game when the money/experience grind is so point-focused.

Given how interminable the grind in Splatoon is, why would you play a weapon that will earn you fewer points instead of a weapon that will earn you more? What point is there to the developers encouraging this?

It's not an issue of kill-focused weapons not being useful - it's more that I rarely saw them being used when I played in Turf Wars, because the incentive to use them isn't there in spite of them being perfectly fine for the mode. There's no reason to not give a reasonable amount of points for kills and assists, and the relevance of splats is only highlighted by the fact that the game tracks them.

ryechu

Because the reason damage up Rapids are so good is that you can oneshot people with a direct hit. To emulate this they'd have to buff the base damage of the weapon from 80 to 95+ and l just can't see them doing it.

Or they could just increase the minimum blast damage to 50, and/or buff the fire rate. And it'll certainly be good.

It's actually easier for them to balance the weapon when it can't cheese ohko.

Jims

I get what you're saying... But the producers of Splatoon so far have demonstrated that they are very in tune with the evolving meta and habits of its players and have been adjusting accordingly. I'm sure they noticed the trend that everyone who used rapid blaster stacked on a bunch of damage. It strikes me as uncharacteristic that they would just get rid of Damage Up but not consider all the weapons that are very damage-dependent.

If they're uncomfortable with giving it such a high base damage, they might play around with stuff like ryechu suggested. They might be able to find a good subweapon that mitigates things as well.

(Watch them release a Weapon Damage Up ability next and make the whole discussion moot.) :p

Or they could just increase the minimum blast damage to 50, and/or buff the fire rate. And it'll certainly be good.

It's actually easier for them to balance the weapon when it can't cheese ohko.
50 minimum blast damage on rapids would be so good I don't know if you really want to deal with this OwO

J@hranimo

Banned
I can see them buffing the damage of the Rapids by increasing the damage done on the outside of the blast radius. Make it a more consistent 2HKO to keep up with the OHKO blasters.

Has there been any mention if there is online split screen yet?

My daughter and I would play the shit out of this game together if there is. The local multiplayer in the first Splatoon was brutally bad...

ryechu

I get what you're saying... But the producers of Splatoon so far have demonstrated that they are very in tune with the evolving meta and habits of its players and have been adjusting accordingly. I'm sure they noticed the trend that everyone who used rapid blaster stacked on a bunch of damage. It strikes me as uncharacteristic that they would just get rid of Damage Up but not consider all the weapons that are very damage-dependent.

If they're uncomfortable with giving it such a high base damage, they might play around with stuff like ryechu suggested. They might be able to find a good subweapon that mitigates things as well.

(Watch them release a Weapon Damage Up ability next and make the whole discussion moot.) :p

The evidence against Damage up or Weapon Damage up or Sub Damage up is strong.

case in point

Every single old piece of gear in this image, of which there are a lot, have the same ability as they did in Splatoon, except for those that had damage up, def up, bomb range, or special duration. What is interesting is that those that had bomb range up, like the Black Inky Rider now have Sub power up, which makes sense given that sub power up is a superset of bomb range up that is replacing BRU. The gear here that had DEF UP in Splat 1, such as the Cycle King Jersey, Slipstream United, Takoroka Mesh now have bomb def up, and those that had dmg up like the snorkels, and the Varsity Jacket now have ink saver sub. The snorkels were visible in another e3 footage.

As far as I've seen, there isn't a single exception to this rule. The gear carry the same main abilities as before (likely to aid quick recognition, and help our memory), except for these new maps BRU -> SUB POWER, DMG UP -> ISS, DEF UP -> BOMB DEF, SDU -> SPECIAL POWER.

Hey everyone I just have a quick question on Splatoon.

Is it a good / meaty single player game? I just would like to know before I spend $60.00 on it - it seems to be heavily focused on multiplayer, and sadly most of my friends/family don't have time to play games.

Pachimari

Hey everyone I just have a quick question on Splatoon.

Is it a good / meaty single player game? I just would like to know before I spend $60.00 on it - it seems to be heavily focused on multiplayer, and sadly most of my friends/family don't have time to play games.

I don't think any of us know how long or how much meat the single player campaign got. There wasn't one in Splatoon either so we can't compare.

MomoQca

I don't think any of us know how long or how much meat the single player campaign got. There wasn't one in Splatoon either so we can't compare.

...there is a single player campaign in the first Splatoon. That campaign lasts about 5 hours. Splatoon 2's should be around the same or longer.

Geg

Based on the preview from Treehouse the single player looks like it will probably have the same number of stages as the first game (27 regular stages + 6 bosses), but the replay value will be much higher due to being able to use like 8 extra weapons on all the stages again and time trial for people who like that.

Has there been any mention if there is online split screen yet?

My daughter and I would play the shit out of this game together if there is. The local multiplayer in the first Splatoon was brutally bad...

As far as we know nothing involving split-screen has been shown. I wouldn't expect it to be in the game

Fireblend

Banned
The first Splatoon's single player mode was great but very, very short. I absolutely loved it, but like everyone else has said, it was something like 5 hours long so I wouldn't say it was worth the $60 you paid for the entire package. You're definitely paying for a MP experience with that game.

Doorman

The first Splatoon absolutely did have a single player campaign, it was just quite short.

The sequel's hero mode looks to be bith longer and more varied (especially with having many more weapons available for it) but it's hard to say how much longer it'll be. Multiplayer is still the primary focus, online and off, but they've said that all three of the game's main modes (hero mode, co-op salmon run, and multiplayer battles) will have more interplay with each other this time. That's all we really know so far.

Thanks for the great replies everyone!

I would love if I had more friends and family who loved videogames like I do. However it's just tough, and I rather enjoy a good Nintendo single player game.

Splatoon looks heavily marketed, and I sadly missed out on Wii U. I'm praying they invest some single player time and care into it's well as it looks like a blast!

Cindro

I would love if I had more friends and family who loved videogames like I do. However it's just tough, and I rather enjoy a good Nintendo single player game.

Splatoon looks heavily marketed, and I sadly missed out on Wii U. I'm praying they invest some single player time and care into it's well as it looks like a blast!
I'm the same way my friend - I never enjoy online multiplayer-focused games unless I'm able to play them with friends (which hasn't happened in years).

Splatoon is the landmark exception.

The first one was my favorite game of the last half decade, right up until Breath of the Wild came out. The single player in 2 probably won't last long (though I replayed 1's campaign four times because it's so fantastic), but you might be surprised at how rad it is doing multiplayer battles with strangers. It's as accessible as any game I've ever played, while still having tons of depth to keep you coming back time and time again. I never even looked at my multiplayer time in Splatoon 1 as a team-based effort (because I naturally didn't care about my team, as they were all Internet strangers) - it was all about my personal character progression, and how amazing the gameplay felt once I got good at it.

There's really no other game like Splatoon, so it's worth giving 2 the benefit of the doubt and at least trying it, even if multiplayer-focused titles are typically out of your wheelhouse!

Maybe you can give it a try in a shop demo or something before deciding?

Absolutely none of my friends had a Wii U either, and I still enjoyed Splatoon very much and played it for close to 60 hours, which is a lot for me. This and Smash 4 were the two games that defined the Wii U for me.

This game is incredibly fun online even if you're on your own, and the singleplayer stuff seems to have been expanded a bit with Salmon Run as a bonus feature. Also, the online works really well.

I don't know - could be worth a try for you, but maybe you should try a demo unit somewhere if possible, or watch videos later or something, to see how the base game feels to you. If the fundamentals feel good to you, then I'm sure you'll have a good time with the game.

Pachimari

...there is a single player campaign in the first Splatoon. That campaign lasts about 5 hours. Splatoon 2's should be around the same or longer.

The first Splatoon absolutely did have a single player campaign, it was just quite short.

The sequel's hero mode looks to be bith longer and more varied (especially with having many more weapons available for it) but it's hard to say how much longer it'll be. Multiplayer is still the primary focus, online and off, but they've said that all three of the game's main modes (hero mode, co-op salmon run, and multiplayer battles) will have more interplay with each other this time. That's all we really know so far.
Oh damn, I stay corrected then. I never got around to it.

tsundoku

I wholeheartedly support the changes that they're making. Quick Respawn definitely seems like it's meant more for newer players in Turf War.

?? How about racking up points by winning because you're disabling their ability to ink and reink turf when you kill them?
Turf War is 50% murder 50% area denial

Doorman

I really love the opening of the new song, but getting into the main body of it I feel like it gets kind of unmemorable. It's a bit generic by Splatoon standards.

Still, that opening.

zeioIIDX

Tbh I'm not really feeling any of the Wet Floor songs compared to splatoon 1's music

Same here Geg, they haven't been quite as catchy or energetic as the first game's tracks. Can't quite put my finger on it though. Even the main theme of Splatoon 2 is not as good as the first game's in my opinion. Still pretty good though.

ryechu

Yes! I fucking loved this song the first time I heard it from the E3 Invitational.

So far Splatoon 2 OST > Splatoon 1 OST music for me.

I agree. I like Wet Floors songs more than Squid Squad's atm. And we still dont have a good quality version of my favorite song from the invitational.

That new song's great! I like Wet Floor better than Squid Squad right now.

Hopefully some of the bands from the first game get new songs too, outside of the obvious (Squid Sisters and Octavio), I want to hear more Hightide Era.

Top Bottom