• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Yup, but they've only said that the game takes place 2 years after Splatoon. They'll probably reveal more info later in a Nintendo Direct or something.

Would be crazy if splatoon sequels all take place in real time

correojon

With the dualities having roll, the charger swimming with charged shots and the horizontal attack from the roller it seems they are trying to make all weapons more unique and with more depth. Do you guys think we´ll see some new moves for the other weapons as well? Maybe an horizontal splash attack for the bucket, a quick backwards dash for squelchers and long range weapons to help keep distance...I hope they go all out and make every weapon truly unique!

noshten

With the dualities having roll, the charger swimming with charged shots and the horizontal attack from the roller it seems they are trying to make all weapons more unique and with more depth. Do you guys think we´ll see some new moves for the other weapons as well? Maybe an horizontal splash attack for the bucket, a quick backwards dash for squelchers and long range weapons to help keep distance...I hope they go all out and make every weapon truly unique!

I think there might be special moves for each weapon.
Rollers for example were always poor as far as inking areas ahead of them - the upgrade is pretty good for this and allows them to actually move faster across the map. Chargers being able to charge a shot and swim in ink is also a considerable change to the meta. Duelies seem like a highly maneuverable class so their special move makes sense.

I expect some other perks for other classes. Should be pretty interesting because there is no way there is specific moves for one class and none for others.

correojon

I think there might be special moves for each weapon.
Rollers for example were always poor as far as inking areas ahead of them - the upgrade is pretty good for this and allows them to actually move faster across the map. Chargers being able to charge a shot and swim in ink is also a considerable change to the meta. Duelies seem like a highly maneuverable class so their special move makes sense.

I expect some other perks for other classes. Should be pretty interesting because there is no way there is specific moves for one class and none for others.

I think they might not add special moves to all classes, but mix moves and "skills". For example, the charger being able to hold the charge while swimming is a special skill, as it isn´t a new action like dodging or the new roller swing, but an additional effect to a standard action. Other weapons may have different skills, like scoped chargers splashing a bit of ink when they turn into skid, so you won´t need to waste 2 or 3 shots painting the floor of your sniper spot and would give you a way to move around a bit on enemy ink, while requiring some skill and not being OP. This would make every weapon feel more different as not only they have different moves, but even the standard moveset will be slightly different between weapons. This will benefit specially all the semiautomatic type weapons and make them much more interesting.

noshten

I hope that that the Kraken makes it's return but they change the looks and physics.
A kraken that looks like a Shark fin and is slightly faster while moving but a lot slower when jumping would be pretty awesome.

5ac61cf4028d6da14546c08370fb9f81.jpg

DaBoss

Yea, it seems like they are differentiating between each weapon type. Interested in seeing what the other weapon types will get, if they do change it.
Wow, the team must be busting their ass to get the sequel done within two years.
The original game took 2 years to develop as well, iirc. So I can imagine the turnaround time for this and any future game in the series to be quick now that they have the base gameplay all figured out.

Jims

C27Z-omUQAEXGUW.jpg

C27aALQUUAM6cX7.jpg

Hmmm, the Slosher in the second picture has a little tornado sticker on it, and the ink is whirling like a Sloshing Machine. But it looks like ink comes out side vents almost like a Tri-Slosher inks. This tornado Slosher could be the Sloshing Machine replacement? Maybe all Sloshers will behave like this? I feel like the sticker in the second picture but not the original art suggests this is some sort of variant.

J@hranimo

Banned
So we're not posting pictures now? Let me start that trend:

Heavy Splatling:

Slosher:

Looks like they got some visual changes (Heavy Splatling barrel is upright similar to the Hydra Splatling and Slosher). I suppose they'll function mostly the same.

I wonder what the Heavy Splatling will have now? Also I'm gonna speculate and say that the Slosher will have the curling bomb now.

EDIT: I type too slow lol, Jims beat me!

Geg

Hopefully splatlings are better balanced than in Splatoon 1, but I doubt it.

For the slosher description it doesn't mention anything except for visual/design changes

ryechu

C27Z-omUQAEXGUW.jpg

C27aALQUUAM6cX7.jpg

Hmmm, the Slosher in the second picture has a little tornado sticker on it, and the ink is whirling like a Sloshing Machine. But it looks like ink comes out side vents almost like a Tri-Slosher inks. This tornado Slosher could be the Sloshing Machine replacement? Maybe all Sloshers will behave like this? I feel like the sticker in the second picture but not the original art suggests this is some sort of variant.

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net...656x815.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150803212251

I think that's just the manufacturers logo. Its the same one as on the old slosher.

Moondrop

Banned
this is my favorite haircut in the game so far. I think I'll actually be a male inkling in this game.
Won't the haircuts be tied to specific head equipment pieces? Seems likely if the alternative means animating every combination of hat and hairstyle.

Doorman

Won't the haircuts be tied to specific head equipment pieces? Seems likely if the alternative means animating every combination of hat and hairstyle.
I was about to get worried about the potential of this being true, but looking back through some of the images that have been posted on the tumblr and elsewhere, I'm leaning back toward hairstyles working independently. It'd be really unfortunate otherwise, at any rate.

I wish the NA tumblr would get on officially translating these a bit more quickly! If it's true that the Splatling and Slother tweets don't mention any mechanical changes for those weapons, I find it odd and perhaps slightly disappointing. Three of the four weapons in the initial demo included new moves or abilities that weren't present in the first game, things that pretty dramatically change the utility and complexity of those weapons, so to have something like the sloshers unchanged feels a little weird and limiting in comparison.

Moondrop

Banned
I was about to get worried about the potential of this being true, but looking back through some of the images that have been posted on the tumblr and elsewhere, I'm leaning back toward hairstyles working independently. It'd be really unfortunate otherwise, at any rate.
Hmm, interesting. So compare the group shot in the OT to the plaza pic in post #5. The double-bun and 3-central-blobs hairstyles are repeated with seemingly different head equipment, which supports your conclusion.

Nevertheless, I still think it's more likely at this point that there are a set of hairstyles, say 10, they're mixed and matched across head equipment pieces, and unfortunately tied to specific gear.

But hey, any real Splatoon player knows freshness comes first.

Jims

http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/splatoon/images/5/54/Splatoon-slosher-656x815.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20150803212251[/url]

I think that's just the manufacturers logo. Its the same one as on the old slosher.

Ah, thanks! Funny I had never noticed that little logo after so many matches with those things. The trajectory of the ink in the picture is still kinda curious to me, though, and is making me re-question what the inkspread of a Slosher looks like when it's slowed down. I guess it kinda come out of the bucket in a giant wave of ink.

I wonder if they could add that new charger mechanic onto Splatlings? Would letting a Hydra swim a short distance with a charge completely break the game? Maybe without access to a Bubbler any more, it wouldn't.

ryechu

Ah, thanks! Funny I had never noticed that little logo after so many matches with those things. The trajectory of the ink in the picture is still kinda curious to me, though, and is making me re-question what the inkspread of a Slosher looks like when it's slowed down. I guess it kinda come out of the bucket in a giant wave of ink.

I wonder if they could add that new charger mechanic onto Splatlings? Would letting a Hydra swim a short distance with a charge completely break the game? Maybe without access to a Bubbler any more, it wouldn't.

that would blur the line between splatlings and shooter so I would dislike that change.

Jims

that would blur the line between splatlings and shooter so I would dislike that change.

Oh man, but you imagine how ridiculous a mini-Splatling would be with swim-charge? Stuff of nightmares, right there.
(Although Squiffers might be able to do some ridiculous things if they're allowed the ability as well. Spacing them might become an even bigger problem.)

Doorman

Thematically I don't think it would make much sense, because that means that you'd technically have the barrel of the spinner rolling while in ink. It just sounds odd in practice. Plus I think it's nice for the chargers to have something to further differentiate their movesets.

That said, I would have preferred splatlings to get something new to their arsenal. At this point the charge-holding mechanic just makes chargers even stronger against them than they kind of were already. Hard to judge too much of any of this before we start to see what sort of kits these weapons will get, though. The splattershot is largely the same in that sense, but the roller's setup is significantly different from anything it used to have.

DaBoss

I'm wondering how the scoped chargers would be able to use the charge hold mechanic (also we need names for this stuff so it would be easier to refer to them, gonna call it Charge Hold myself). It doesn't seem like it can work in an elegant manner, so I'm wondering if they removed scoped chargers.

I feel like the solution would be to have the zoom in at 4x the speed it normally is, but that could be disorienting.

ryechu

I'm wondering how the scoped chargers would be able to use the charge hold mechanic (also we need names for this stuff so it would be easier to refer to them, gonna call it Charge Hold myself). It doesn't seem like it can work in an elegant manner, so I'm wondering if they removed scoped chargers.

I feel like the solution would be to have the zoom in at 4x the speed it normally is, but that could be disorienting.

if it doesnt work elegantly i could see them not giving scoped chargers charge hold. I dont see them removing them entirely

noshten

So with touchscreen being confirmed I'm guessing when playing on the go with Joycons you could still probably super jump with touch controls as long as you bring up the map.

noshten

New Stage Screenshots from @SplatoonJP

Squidtranslate said:
One of the new stage, Barnacle Sports Club.
It is the latest fitness have various facilities such as bouldering driving range, swimming pool, treadmill. Recently, workout training shape up for more stoic like gaining popularity.

C3K5Ou1VcAAG-2z.jpg

C3K5Q2JUkAAJ-gE.jpg

C3K5SQ0UMAIQN3D.jpg

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Were there bystander in the arena of the first game? I know some were tucked behind glass in that fan stage. Otherwise, what's stopping us from inking them here?

Sendou

I think scoped chargers could be in the game. Either you get more range (when using the scoped version) or the ability to hold charge.

Kikorin

Probably I've already said that in some other topic, but this game is going to look insane on the Switch screen :0

Jims

New map looks awesome! It kinda seems like a mix of Flounder Heights and Moray Towers, in a weird way. That center area is going to be a war zone. Could be a fun Splat Zones map.

Well, spawn doesn't seem to be easily accessible, so that's good. The bottom floor also appears to be fairly vast, so pinning people from mid won't be all that easy either. Can be somewhat sneaky by going past the stores near the drop offs. That block in the middle is pretty convenient as cover, but also stops chargers from being able to reliably shoot across mid from the brick walls. The middle area isn't raised too high, so one should be able to throw bombs up there from the bottom floor.

This pic just looks boss in general.

But also...Inklings hanging around inside of a battle map with no weapons? I don't recall that ever being possible ingame before.
Being able to see and navigate all the maps outside of battle would be kind of neato :3

Top Bottom