• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

Blues1990

This pic just looks boss in general.

But also...Inklings hanging around inside of a battle map with no weapons? I don't recall that ever being possible ingame before.
I think it would be cool if the Inkling's that chill at the new plaza actually pop up on the multiplayer maps as spectators.

Bummer that there hasn't been much info with playable Octarian's. I really want to know.

watershed

Banned
I wish it were possible to ink swim upside down in the climbing walls but it looks like those areas are inaccessible. How cool would it be to drop from the ceiling?

NEO0MJ

So we're not posting pictures now? Let me start that trend:

Heavy Splatling:

C27LsfgVEAAI4H-.jpg

This guy pisses me off so much. He's the epitome of everything I hate in fashion.

Guys, this game is going to be incredible isn't it?

So excited just to play Splatoon on hardware that I don't hate interacting with, and with the game coming out so early in the console's life, I feel like it's gonna stay with me for a long time

TheMoon

Why do they all have short tentacles/hair now? Hardware restraints or something?

As we all know, female forms are harder to model and render than anything else in existence. This includes long hair. Thus, long hair has to be turned into short hair on consoles with, what experts refer to as, weaksauce specs. That is also why, naturally, Bayonetta had to have a shorter haircut in Bayonetta 2 because the Wii U could not handle the long hair. 'Tis the true measure of power for any gaming platform. The length of the character's hair.

Brofield

I was at the Switch Preview event in Toronto today, and I asked the ambassadors around the Splatoon 2 demo booth if you could play 4 player multi with just a single joy-con each. All of them were stumped, but has it been confirmed yet if you need both? By all rights, the buttons and functions are there, not to mention gyro

D.Lo

There's no way Callie and Marie are not back in the same basic role. They are hugely popular in Japan.

The tease is 99% likely for just for the single player. They were in the first game's single player in similar roles.

jholmes

I was at the Switch Preview event in Toronto today, and I asked the ambassadors around the Splatoon 2 demo booth if you could play 4 player multi with just a single joy-con each. All of them were stumped, but has it been confirmed yet if you need both? By all rights, the buttons and functions are there, not to mention gyro

How would you move the camera though?

Does anyone know about local multiplayer yet?

The perfect thing would be being able to play online while doing local multiplayer, in the way that you can on Rocket League.

Otherwise a 1 vs. 1 local multiplayer only Turf War is going to feel pretty empty, and even with four players (which I think is the max that most people regularly play locally, unless they're at a party or gathering), 2 vs. 2 is going to feel similarly dull compared to the 4 vs. 4 online version.

Does anyone know about local multiplayer yet?

The perfect thing would be being able to play online while doing local multiplayer, in the way that you can on Rocket League.

Otherwise a 1 vs. 1 local multiplayer only Turf War is going to feel pretty empty, and even with four players (which I think is the max that most people regularly play locally, unless they're at a party or gathering), 2 vs. 2 is going to feel similarly dull compared to the 4 vs. 4 online version.
I would love a bot mode similar to call of duty for offline play. That way I can let my child play since online would be too much for her.

RedFyn

There's no way Callie and Marie are not back in the same basic role. They are hugely popular in Japan.

The tease is 99% likely for just for the single player. They were in the first game's single player in similar roles.
Hopefully not. Does anyone like the shrine maiden role?

I would love a bot mode similar to call of duty for offline play. That way I can let my child play since online would be too much for her.
Have you let her try on her own account? The matchmaking is pretty darn good at putting what I assume are all kids your daughter's age together. Perhaps it's not as good now due to a smaller player pool but even a few months ago it was working as intended.

Hopefully not. Does anyone like the shrine maiden role?

Have you let her try on her own account? The matchmaking is pretty darn good at putting what I assume are all kids your daughter's age together. Perhaps it's not as good now due to a smaller player pool but even a few months ago it was working as intended.
Not a bad idea I keep forgetting I can make another account

DaBoss

I'm sure everybody has seen the voice chat news, but posting it here as well: http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/156676664164/weve-received-a-report-that-splatoon-2-will-be

We’ve received a report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with an upcoming app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will link with the game and allow you to set a play appointment with your friends and teammates invited through your social media accounts. It also lets you match up with them directly in the game and voice chat with them too.

For example, during a Private Battle, you can voice chat with all of the connected friends when you divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates in the same team. Also, you cannot communicate with random Inklings you don’t know.

I'm sure everybody has seen the voice chat news, but posting it here as well: http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/156676664164/weve-received-a-report-that-splatoon-2-will-be

We've received a report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with an upcoming app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will link with the game and allow you to set a play appointment with your friends and teammates invited through your social media accounts. It also lets you match up with them directly in the game and voice chat with them too.

For example, during a Private Battle, you can voice chat with all of the connected friends when you divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates in the same team. Also, you cannot communicate with random Inklings you don't know.
Can confirm that this is a much more accurate translation than what was posted in that other thread. Come on guys.

Still questionable tho, like come on Nintendo.

J@hranimo

Banned
This guy pisses me off so much. He's the epitome of everything I hate in fashion.

Oh yeah, I'm not a fan of the half-rimmed glasses frames either. It looks even worse when the rim is on the bottom of the lens for me too.

We've received a report that Splatoon 2 will be compatible with an upcoming app for smart devices that enhances online play. This app will link with the game and allow you to set a play appointment with your friends and teammates invited through your social media accounts. It also lets you match up with them directly in the game and voice chat with them too.

For example, during a Private Battle, you can voice chat with all of the connected friends when you divide into teams, but once teams are set, voice chat is switched to communication only between teammates in the same team. Also, you cannot communicate with random Inklings you don't know.

aaaaaaand another generation of Discord voice chat :p

StAidan

If team chat is the only option for privates then I guess there'll still be a place for Discord with SplatGAF, right? Privates are more fun when your victims can hear your victory laugh.

Also, not sure what kind of setup you'd need to pipe this smartphone voice chat into a Twitch stream.

DaBoss

Hmm, with the wording of it, would you be able to play with people you follow or something on Twitter without having to add them through your Switch friend list? Would be interesting if that is the case.

I'm curious to see this game played free hand style, with the two joy cons separated. Can you just tilt one con to move the camera/aim?

J@hranimo

Banned
In Breath of the Wild, that is how it worked. The gyro from the right joycon is the one the game detected.

Oh wow, so there IS a way to play with each joycon in hand! I will actually try this playstyle out before getting the Pro Controller.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
Forgot to mention that there will be Splatoon 2 demo matches on Day 1 of Koshien this coming Friday. Probably won't be groundbreaking, so don't get your hopes up.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
The best thing about Callie and Marie is that their voice actors actively talk to each other over Twitter.

Top Bottom