• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

phanphare

Banned
tenta missiles are great because you can survey the map and see where enemies are. you need to lock on to more than one person for them to be effective or you need to be going after the one person you locked on to while they're scrambling.

also just to say again sending off the tenta missiles feels so good with the hd rumble. if you're locked on to more than one person you get so many that fire in rapid succession and it just feels great. I'm like seriously bummed that this game isn't coming out for a little bit obviously because Splatoon is awesome but fuck they nailed it with the rumble.

mclem

Has anyone thought of using the inkjet as an evasive or merely transportation utility? I'm not sure about this but I think if the inkjet was activated on one side of Moray Towers and the player tried to make it over to the other side where the snipers are usually perched their altitude would drop and they would land in the stagepit area below.

At the conclusion of an Inkjet flight you super jump back to where you launched it (and there's a marker there so someone could potentially lie in wait for you, I believe). I did use it a few times to encroach on enemy territory to get some bonus coverage.

Alienous

It seems like a really solid multiplayer game from what I've played. I really do enjoy console exclusive shooters - it's nice playing a game that doesn't feel like it needs a keyboard and mouse to be responsive.

The controls are a little awkward but I got better with them over time - it'd probably be a learning curve fully encapsulated by playing the single-player of the full release.

If it isn't content starved at launch it seems like a great game to buy on the Switch to stratch the multiplayer shooter itch.

phanphare

Banned
It seems like a really solid multiplayer game from what I've played. I really do enjoy console exclusive shooters - it's nice playing a game that doesn't feel like it needs a keyboard and mouse to be responsive.

The controls are a little awkward but I got better with them over time - it'd probably be a learning curve fully encapsulated by playing the single-player of the full release.

If it isn't content starved at launch it seems like a great game to buy on the Switch to stratch the multiplayer shooter itch.

even if it is content starved at launch you know it's going to get updates for a good bit

I was barely able to get 5 or 6 games in with my crap internet connection. I hope I can play Splatoon 2 when it comes out. I'm going to play the single player for sure either way though. It's really fun.

ryechu

really surprised to see people praise botw's gyro implementation. I thought it was garbage. you can't aim with the gyro and stick simultaneously which pretty much negates the benefits of that setup. I can see how it could be more intuitive than Splatoon's at first but once you get a feel for gyro aiming botw's is way too restrictive.

edit: also the gyro sensitivity in botw is too low for me

People are praising it because its a pretty easy and intuitive jump from dual sticks. The low sensitivity suggests that its to be used to do minor adjustments after using dual sticks to frame your screen correctly. Splatoon's gyro is less intuitive and initially more awkward because you are supposed to use gyro to do the brunt of your aiming and sticks to turn.

This is also the reason its difficult to develop a lot of muscle memory for zelda and to do quick turn around or snap shots. The decalibration issue that would arise in splatoon if they added y axis stick control + gyro isnt as much of an issue in BotW because you only enable gyro when using the bow and map from "neutral" position of the cursor to the tilt of the controller is reset every time you enter bow aiming.

Zemm

I enjoyed it overall. The playable maps were quite boring. I'm a sucker for Splatoon though so I'll probably pick it up. The only reason I wouldn't is if they don't change the way the map rotations work from the first game or if there isn't a competent lobby system.

After playing the test this is now by biggest worry, please please please don't have the two map rotation thing from the first game. There's a reason no other shooter does this (that I know of).

Dominator

Can't get into this game. I played a little yesterday when it went live and thought it wasn't fun at all. Oh well, just not for me.

Tried the test fire last evening (European time) but got only error code when it tried to find a match. Tried both wifi and wired connection.

Was pretty disappointed. Didn't have any such problems with the first game (and its test fires). I really hope it won't be a problem with the full game.

Zemm

I wonder if peoples issues with connections is due to the shitty WiFi in the Switch? Playing wired and it was pretty flawless tbh.

I'm sure this is in the thread somewhere, but its gonna take forever to find, did Nintendo improve the multiplayer lobby interface? Like can you change classes in the lobby at least?

Soundslike

Neo Member
the specials are imo more fun now. Its more fun to be attacked by missiles than someone activating the bubble or the kraken special.

Jintor

I really did appreciate that every time someone used a special I thought of it as an opportunity rather than just "oh fuck get out of the way"

weekev

Banned
I really did appreciate that every time someone used a special I thought of it as an opportunity rather than just "oh fuck get out of the way"
Yeah there are more tactics involved with the specials now. In the first game it was a case of activate as soon as they are available, now a little more thought is required.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
For those of you who are starting to suffer from testfire withdrawal symptoms, feel free to drop by the SplatGAF Discord server (link at the bottom of the OT), or the original game's OT when this thread is inevitably closed. SplatGAF remains fairly active with a core group of regulars up to this day; if you still happen to have a copy of the original game, it might be a good way to scratch the waiting itch until then. :p

Yeah there are more tactics involved with the specials now. In the first game it was a case of activate as soon as they are available, now a little more thought is required.

The Specials in Splatoon 2 so far definitely seem to be a stronger case of initiating breakthroughs in enemy control, or exerting massive pressure on the enemy team when YOU have control, but not being the breakthrough itself. Tenta Missiles is a great example. The missiles force enemy players to move in sub-optimal ways that opens them up to positioning and awareness vulnerabilities. The fact you can even see where they are going with the lock-on marker sticking to the target until the missiles impact the ground allows you to intercept and follow up. But the missiles themselves are only creating an opportunity; it's not like inkzooka where you get instant OHKOs.

Further, if you're in a dominant control position, Tenta Missiles can act as a strong choke pressure special, halting attempts for the enemy to push out of their base. Definitely liking special implementation so far.

Peterc

really surprised to see people praise botw's gyro implementation. I thought it was garbage. you can't aim with the gyro and stick simultaneously which pretty much negates the benefits of that setup. I can see how it could be more intuitive than Splatoon's at first but once you get a feel for gyro aiming botw's is way too restrictive.

edit: also the gyro sensitivity in botw is too low for me

You're talking crazy. The worst setup you can choose is to use the controller only when aiming ingame. Botw bow aiming with 3d stick and precision with gyro is the best alternative you have instead of a wiimote. It is the first time when i used in botw that i thought, well this could be the solution for all crappy gamecontrols in FPS games. With the gyro and many people disliking to using the wiimote, we have finaly a better solution to aim in FPS games. So maybe it's more of a learning curve or you just don't want it, but the system works way better than without it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You're talking crazy. The worst setup you can choose is to use the controller only when aiming ingame. Botw bow aiming with 3d stick and precision with gyro is the best alternative you have instead of a wiimote. It is the first time when i used in botw that i thought, well this could be the solution for all crappy gamecontrols in FPS games. With the gyro and many people disliking to using the wiimote, we have finaly a better solution to aim in FPS games. So maybe it's more of a learning curve or you just don't want it, but the system works way better than without it.

You are right, but this game was my best reminder of why I want symmetric analog sticks a la Wii U Pro Controller or DS4. My right thumb being able to stay more comfortably on the right analog stick while I perfect the aim with gyro control would be super.

Datschge

Any netcode impressions by people who were essentially locked out by the netcode update in Splatoon 1 that made it unplayable when lacking upload bandwidth? Did that improve?

jengo

Gyro controls were pretty uncomfortable for me using the Pro controller. Something about not being able to use the right stock for up/down movement felt really, really off. I'm used to gyro aim for precision on the Vita and now Zelda, but I guess I will stick to twin sticks on Splatoon 2 cause there's no way I'm going through the re-wiring to get used to it.

Toadsili T

Neo Member
Any netcode impressions by people who were essentially locked out by the netcode update in Splatoon 1 that made it unplayable when lacking upload bandwidth? Did that improve?

Not impressions, but some hard data uncovered by Twitter user Octobyte.

Looks like the game's tickrate to the servers are only 12.5 Hz, down from the 25 Hz of the original game. This may solve some connection issues for players with lower bandwidth, but the quality of the experience might be considerably worse overall with greater latency disjointment. :S

Gyro controls were pretty uncomfortable for me using the Pro controller. Something about not being able to use the right stock for up/down movement felt really, really off. I'm used to gyro aim for precision on the Vita and now Zelda, but I guess I will stick to twin sticks on Splatoon 2 cause there's no way I'm going through the re-wiring to get used to it.

Give it some more time once the game releases. The single player part of the Wii U game sold me on the controls and I've never looked back since. Gyro + 60fps is gaming bliss.

Looks like the game's tickrate to the servers are only 12.5 Hz, down from the 25 Hz of the original game. This may solve some connection issues for players with lower bandwidth, but the quality of the experience might be considerably worse overall with greater latency disjointment. :S

That's a bummer, even though I can't honestly say I noticed it during Testfire.

Datschge

Thanks. This should help lower bandwidth connections by having bigger windows for the data to pass around. Though I'd hope they also significantly reduced the amount of data passed around through optimizations and compression, the upload bandwidth required really was on the relatively high end in Splatoon 1 (and less data to send and receive would reduce latency for more players).

phanphare

Banned

nah I just prefer a better implementation, like Splatoon. doesn't help that the tilt sensitivity is too low in BotW.

Well if we're just judging by testfires, The Reef and Musselforge Fitness are way better maps than Walleye Warehouse and Saltspray Rig lol.

Walleye > Musselforge > Reef > Saltspray

JoeNut

so other than just painting the floor..am i missing something? seemed fun for like 10 minutes or so but i don't see how there's any depth to it. presumably theres other modes?

Berordn

so other than just painting the floor..am i missing something? seemed fun for like 10 minutes or so but i don't see how there's any depth to it. presumably theres other modes?

There are other modes in ranked play but even turf war has depth to it when you're playing with a more coordinated group.

phanphare

Banned

that's the beauty of the game, it's seemingly simple and easy to grasp but the depth is there for anyone who wants it. there will be other modes as well.

ASIS

it's about painting more ground than the opponent actually. Once you get the hang of it you'll see how deep it can get.

Mind you it's not the deepest game ever, but it does take skill.

sonto340

This is my only problem with the gyro controls. Let me choose verticals aiming on both stick and gyro please.

jorgejjvr

I was very surprised how good the online was

Just the fact that I was able to play when I was out and about on my phone Hotspot with no issues or slow downs whatsoever, it was pretty amazing

Never thought online on the go would be a thing

Top Bottom