• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Testfire Thread: This is a port...able game now

I was very surprised how good the online was

Just the fact that I was able to play when I was out and about on my phone Hotspot with no issues or slow downs whatsoever, it was pretty amazing

Never thought online on the go would be a thing
Same here. I was worried a bit after Fast RMX. The online in that game is hit and miss, and mostly miss. A lot of lag and desync.

phanphare

Banned
Oh my. Yes, let's keep everyone in the dark about the joy of getting on top of the crate pile first and all the fighting that goes on around it. Nothing to see here everyone!

I like saltspray just thought the other 3 are better

I love me some saltspray zones too. that's a perfect (semi-broken) map for splat zones for me any my vanilla splattershot. if I get up to the top area that's it. I can burst bomb pretty much any place the enemy players would come from safely. can hit that sniper perch, can hit all the ledges around that, can send them over the sniper perch to the area below that, can send it over the wall where the inkable pipes are, etc.

Same here. I was worried a bit after Fast RMX. The online in that game is hit and miss, and mostly miss. A lot of lag and desync.
I think shooters are less sensitive to poor connections than racers. I regularly play online games like Overwatch and FFXIV from my laptop on a mobile connection without issues but racers are always a no go.

Interfectum

This weekend was my first intro to Splatoon... game was fun as hell. I can see why the first was so popular. Will buy when it comes out.

I love me some saltspray zones too. that's a perfect (semi-broken) map for splat zones for me any my vanilla splattershot. if I get up to the top area that's it. I can burst bomb pretty much any place the enemy players would come from safely. can hit that sniper perch, can hit all the ledges around that, can send them over the sniper perch to the area below that, can send it over the wall where the inkable pipes are, etc.
A picturesque paragraph.

Nintendo should allow a custom placement of splat zones in private battles. Slap a splat zone onto that crate..!

phanphare

Banned
A picturesque paragraph.

Nintendo should allow a custom placement of splat zones in private battles. Slap a splat zone onto that crate..!

that would be really awesome

let people pick one or two zones, customize the size of the zone(s), and where to put it

Waji

I was watching a Testfire video
while doing the dishes
and my mind got blown when I noticed you can see the score at the top of the screen.
I don't know what I was doing while playing but seems like my brain just erased it from the screen. I would also have liked to know the charger could be used, well... without charging.

Hope to get a new "demo" before the actual release. Depending on the date and the contents it feels like a game I'll have trouble to avoid. The first one needed a way to play offline other than baloon fight.

ryechu

so other than just painting the floor..am i missing something? seemed fun for like 10 minutes or so but i don't see how there's any depth to it. presumably theres other modes?

It's about having more ground covered than your opponent at the end of the match. There is a very, very big difference between this and "painting the most" <- which some people wrongly think it's pertinent to point out whenever anyone shows a video about skillfully dispatching squids.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Oh my. Yes, let's keep everyone in the dark about the joy of getting on top of the crate pile first and all the fighting that goes on around it. Nothing to see here everyone!

Really. I had some of the most spectacular and tight games on that map. I'm horrified at the idea that someone would put the very simple maps from this testfires above that one.

phanphare

Banned
Really. I had some of the most spectacular and tight games on that map. I'm horrified at the idea that someone would put the very simple maps from this testfires above that one.

saltspray has some issues, the new testfire maps seem more balanced overall simple or not

I'm shocked at how good my connection was. I didn't experience anything that I could identify as lag for a second, nor did matches take a long time to make. I was on a trip and had to use a friend's wifi connection which, after checking through wifi settings, was giving me 7mb down and 3mb up. Still, flawless. With other games struggling to have good connections, I have to wonder what magic was employed here

Has anyone else been playing Splatoon again recently after playing these Test Fire sessions??

Because I'm about to fire up Splatoon for the first time in months.

atmuh

Has anyone else been playing Splatoon again recently after playing these Test Fire sessions??

I had owned Splatoon for about a year but never actually played it until about a week before the test as I figured I'd see what it was all about finally. Turns out I was a dope for not playing it all that time since it's a ton of fun and I've been playing it every night since.

DKL

I'm considering doing it, but holding off since I wanna just grind the new meta.

Little things like map and the changes to how specials work are pretty big things that I need to relearn and there's a bunch of stuff I don' want to take going into the new game.

(man, even vertical flick for rollers is a huge change for me... first two matches I played with the new thing was a complete blowup and I had to stop jumping in order to start winning lol)

A quick fyi :p
For those of you who are starting to suffer from testfire withdrawal symptoms, feel free to drop by the SplatGAF Discord server (link at the bottom of the OT), or the original game's OT when this thread is inevitably closed. SplatGAF remains fairly active with a core group of regulars up to this day; if you still happen to have a copy of the original game, it might be a good way to scratch the waiting itch until then. :p

Geg

So, haven't kept up with this, are maps locked into real world time rotation?
We don't know yet but I assume it is. Hopefully the system is a little different from the first game though.

I miss Splatoon 2.

image.php

Peltz

Peléo;232870642 said:
For those new to the game who are unaware of how to play, this video showcases a professional player using every single weapon in 4 separate matches during the Testfire.

Don't get me wrong, he's not bad. And he's really good when it comes to movement.

But I feel like I've played way better players.

Edit: Nevermind, I don't like the way he plays with the roller, but he's sick with the other weapons.

Mega

Banned
so other than just painting the floor..am i missing something? seemed fun for like 10 minutes or so but i don't see how there's any depth to it. presumably theres other modes?

Remember this scene in Edge of Tomorrow when the two protagonists perfect their combat skills? I've had moments like this in Splatoon where everything just clicked: dodging and weaving in and out of squid mode, inking, kill, wall jumps, inking, kill, special, and so on. Especially this one time me and another guy during one of the early weekend splatfests were just demolishing everything during our matches. These moments where everything comes together so damn fluidly is when you release the brilliance of Splatoon.

It was great. I want to know if they'll have additional test fires. Did the original get multiple testfires?
I only recall one set of testfires before release. There was another set of testfires, when Splatoon was going through a promotion, and I guess the testfires were to try and entice prospective buyers.

Yaranaika

What were they thinking doing this less than a month after launch with such limited stock? The user base is tiny still. Two of my friends just got a Switch on Monday after the BestBuy restock and they missed the testfire. They've never played Splatoon before and if there isn't a second testfire, they never will.

Nilaul

I didn't want to open a new thread. Just for this but I felt like I want to share this. Splatoon doesn't really work in bed. I kept forgetting to post about this.

---------

I really was excited to use the motion controls in Splatoon 2 testfire, fired it up and then catastrophy!

There was no way to recenter the camera. I was lying in bed and the character was always looking up due to how you lay in bed. I've tried to recenter it but there was nothing I could do about it.

To me the game is fundamentally broken, I'm not gonna buy a game that doesn't allow me to calibrate/recenter the camera. Even after pressing "Y" my camera didn't recenter itself. It seems I wasn't the only one with this problem: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwi...on_2_controls/

Jintor

I really was excited to use the motion controls in Splatoon 2 testfire, fired it up and then...
catastrophy!

There was no way to recenter the camera. I was lying in bed and the character was always looking up due to how you lay in bed. I've tried to recenter it but there was nothing I could do about it.

To me the game is fundamentally broken, I'm not gonna buy a game that doesn't allow me to calibrate/recenter the camera.

Uhhhhh hit x

Also what are up talking about? The servers are offline???

Top Bottom