• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive are the most important games this generation

abadguy

Banned
I just beat Sunset Overdrive last night, and while it was pretty cute, it is by no means a revolutionary game.

Here's a counterpoint to OP's well-meaning-but-not-necessarily-well-thought-out thesis: http://www.avclub.com/article/punk-rock-loving-sunset-overdrive-just-reinforces--211367?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=SocialMarketing&utm_campaign=Default:1:Default

It misses the part where SO favors fun and gameplay ( most important part of a game last i checked) over trying to be super srs and "cinematic" like most games do these days. Seems to go quite a bit against the "status quo" of most recent AAA releases.

Mudron

It misses the part where SO favors fun and gameplay ( most important part of a game last i checked) over trying to be super srs and "cinematic" like most games do these days. Seems to go quite a bit against the "status quo" of most recent AAA releases.

Sure, Sunset Overdrive is fun and the gameplay ain't too bad, but if we're judging how groundbreaking a game is by how colorful/easy-to-play it is, then every Nintendo game on Wii U would be shaking up the industry.

And while Splatoon and Sunset Overdrive are a relative breath of fresh air (even if the writing in Sunset Overdrive is pretty DURR-HURR), that alone doesn't mean that they're destined to change the course of this console generation or anything.

Ansatz

You are aware the generation just started right?
Hold your horses.

I think OP means that if these early attempts fail, the industry will go back to the same old for the remaining duration of current gen, hence their importance.

But it's completely unrealistic to expect anything other than a potential local success, I mean the success of Mario Kart didn't change the outlook of the racing genre in general, western devs still insisted on the sim racers path of evolution despite the massive success and growth of the franchise, both portable and console versions.

FloatOn

I think OP means that if these early attempts fail, the industry will go back to the same old for the remaining duration of current gen, hence their importance.

But it's completely unrealistic to expect anything other than a potential local success, I mean the success of Mario Kart didn't change the outlook of the racing genre in general, western devs still insisted on the sim racers path of evolution despite the massive success and growth of the franchise, both portable and console versions.

exactly this.

I'm hoping the "cinematic" thing or hyper realistic thing isn't what all games shape up and aim for as they have lately with most games.

I mean, Overstrike could have been a good game but because of the culture of today it got bastardized into the forgettable Fuse.

Yaranaika

I fully agree.
Am I biased because I own an xbox one and Wii U? Possibly.
Sunset Overdrive is the only game I've played in at least 5 years that was actually genuinely fun, in my opinion, and has kept me coming back for more. This will be first season pass I will ever purchase because I need more content. I haven't even beaten the game yet (30+ hours so far) because I am trying to savour every minute of it.

For the first time, maybe ever, I didn't feel the controller in my hand and my character was controlled by instinct. That's how immersed I was in SO, but that's getting off topic.

I feel like splatoon will be the same way and I can't wait to play it.

k. Maybe I just don't know as much about it as other people do then. What is known about it in gameplay/objective terms so far?

Now i'm not saying we have a ton of details, but we have enough to get the general gist of the game.

Each player starts on the outer edge of the universe. The goal is to make it to the center of the universe. The closer you get to the center, the more mutated/dangerous the environments and animals become.

There is ground combat, there is space combat. There is trading, there is mining for resources. There are 3 general different classes of ships. Fighter, trader, and explorer.

Resources can be used to upgrade your suit, buy ships, upgrade weapons.

Can be affiliated with different factions which will determine which AI group is hostile, neutral, or helpful toward you,

Harp

I like sunset, but as someone that has played rachet and clank, it's not really new at all. In direct comparison sunset is a little disappointing. Especially when you start talking about weapon upgrades.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I hope they both do really well. I'm really tired of coming away from E3 with an endless stream of gritty moody trailers, all ending on a fucking Inception-style BWAAAHHHHH with progressively fast cuts, then finally a deafening whirring noise as someone's helicopter crashes, cutting to black, and then a logo.... And then a publisher saying "oh we're also promoting this cool light-hearted indie game that will likely result in a tragic death of a parental figure or loved one because that's the only way we know how to trigger an emotional reaction out of you."

How about some games with some fucking enthusiasm and energy? Jesus christ, there's more than one tone you can be aiming for....

Harp

Why can't games coexist. Sunset does not have to be revolutionary. It just has to be good. There is no reason why you can't enjoy both sunset and call of Duty. Just last night I played advanced warfare on ps4, sunset, and then a game of nba 2k15. Enjoying each and everyone one of them. No need for all games to change because another game is good.

Synth

Now i'm not saying we have a ton of details, but we have enough to get the general gist of the game.

Each player starts on the outer edge of the universe. The goal is to make it to the center of the universe. The closer you get to the center, the more mutated/dangerous the environments and animals become.

There is ground combat, there is space combat. There is trading, there is mining for resources. There are 3 general different classes of ships. Fighter, trader, and explorer.

Resources can be used to upgrade your suit, buy ships, upgrade weapons.

Can be affiliated with different factions which will determine which AI group is hostile, neutral, or helpful toward you,

To be fair, that actually is a decent amount more than I knew about it... I guess I won't talk about it again without looking into the available info more. Up until now the only gameplay I've seen seems to either showcase space combat, or walking exploration at ground level, so the game still seems like a huge mystery to me, beyond being a very large Ace Combat.

I like sunset, but as someone that has played rachet and clank, it's not really new at all. In direct comparison sunset is a little disappointing. Especially when you start talking about weapon upgrades.

I'd say Sunset Overdrive's movement is a far bigger step up over Ratchet & Clank, then the reverse is with weapons. SO's movement is already some of the best I've ever played in a game (Quake 3 Arena is the only game that stands out as having a better movement system to me right now).

Top Bottom