• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell: Blacklist |OT| Warning: May Contain Trace Amounts Of Stealth

Sojgat

Does anyone know if the 360 version requires disk swaps or if part two of the campaign can be installed? Seems like Ubisoft are doing their best to avoid the issue.

danielcw

There are already actions and rewards listed on Uplay for the game so anyone thinking it's not included is in denial. Unless they completely shutdown the service it will never be removed from any worthwhile title they launch.

The console games have Uplay actions and rewards as well,
and they do not (as far as I know) require Uplay.

The previous games before Double Agent didn't even try. Although this moment in Chaos Theory was pretty badass:
iNU92FV1Vhhp4.gif

For me that was the single worst moment in Chaos Theory, no hyperbole intendend.
It changed to forced gameplay, and I had to kill, which I did not want to do.

Alienous

I have a feeling this one will be pretty good. Is there anything like Deniable Ops that we can replay?

Edit: Well, I'm sure the co-op missions can be replayed but why can't I have something with dynamic spawns?

I thought the co-op missions had dynamic spawns in Blacklist?

While I agree that the Splinter Cell games have a taken a huge directional 180 when Double Agent got out, I still always have the urge to buy and play them.

I guess this is because of the fact that there are so few proper stealth games out on the market, that I instantly hold on the next best thing that even slightly resembles stealth.

SpyGuy239

The previous games before Double Agent didn't even try. Although this moment in Chaos Theory was pretty badass:
iNU92FV1Vhhp4.gif

Double Agent was the worse for me, the boring gameplay didn't help.

I loved conviction though, even if it's strayed from it's roots (Still not as far as Rainbow Six and Ghost Recon have).

Thanks for posting this .gif. I still remember this moment clearly after all these years. I was in awe about it at the time. Chaos Theory is still the best Splinter Cell game out there!

Lima

Does anyone know if the 360 version requires disk swaps or if part two of the campaign can be installed? Seems like Ubisoft are doing their best to avoid the issue.

You need to swap discs. Second part of the campaign is on disc 2 and will not be installed.

Sober

I thought the co-op missions had dynamic spawns in Blacklist?
They do. I'm pretty sure even in Conviction there was some slight random element to it so it didn't feel completely grindy.

They have said in ghost missions guards will take different patrol routes, etc, while I guess in panther ones (hunter, basically) might just be like Conviction where they might spawn in some different spots as well.

Sojgat

You need to swap discs. Second part of the campaign is on disc 2 and will not be installed.

Thanks for the information.

Watching a YouTube walkthrough at the moment, and the game seems a little too reminiscent of GR: Future Soldier for my liking anyway (complete with those awful sequences where the player character guides a cowering hostage through an area, while using their free hand to fire a pistol).

So far it looks like Ubisoft just took out the three other guys following you around, and added in ten times the amount of cutscenes. Yes you can ghost, but it comes off as being kind of pointless, due to the interruptive story structure of the missions.

MAX PAYMENT

Despite all the negativity surrounding the game, I'm really excited for it. I don't think that overwhelming the player with options is ever a bad thing. And the gameplay is completely unique. Where else can you play spies vs mercs? Sign me up.

legacyzero

Banned
He responded! OH SHIT OH SHIT OH SHIT

ibqhwaH3T0CL11.png

Maxime, you sexy mofo.

EDIT: Fuck. He directed me to another twitter :lol

@LegacyZ3RO So curious! I don't have the answers but ask @SplinterCell and he will help you!

Sober

Damn, so close...
You'll probably never get an answer at the other account
Doubtful. Pretty sure the official twitter is currently helmed by Zack Cooper who basically works off the official forums and I can tell you there is nothing concrete about the PC version even when people there have asked.

legacyzero

Banned
Doubtful. Pretty sure the official twitter is currently helmed by Zack Cooper who basically works off the official forums and I can tell you there is nothing concrete about the PC version even when people there have asked.

Their zipper lips are worrying me. Shitty port incoming??

scitek

Since it's just a tweaked version of the LEAD engine from Conviction, I'd expect performance to be poor on the PC again. If I can maintain 60fps at any point in time at high settings, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Nokterian

Expect not to mutch from Ubisoft to be honest on PC. They say there making better pc games but looking at games like FC3,Ghost Recon Future Soldier,AC3 those games where horrible optimized for PC. And using simple P2P in multiplayer is just lazy.

Sober

I've seen it running at 60fps. Remember they were working with nvidia. Don't think they'd let them get away with too shitty of a port cause it comes bundled with their latest set of cards.

Expect not to mutch from Ubisoft to be honest on PC.
Is WiiU getting the only decent version then? Because I watched the GameTrailers review last night - of what looked like the 360 version - and the tearing was at near criminal levels. I mean, holy crap was there a lot of very blatant tearing.

Have there been any reviews that cover performances or performance differences?

Derrick01

Banned
It's pretty disappointing to see they apparently didn't learn their lesson at all with this game. I saw that most of the reviews agreed the single player sucks and is only around 6 hours and that it's still mostly an action game. At least the Kotaku review reminded me of that quote from the game's director months ago.

"Our lead writer on Blacklist is Richard Dansky," Béland said. "When I called him, I said, 'Hey Richard, we're making Splinter Cell six, do you want to write it for us? And his first question was, 'Do I need to come up with a story that's gonna require Sam to take out 800 guys?' And I paused for a second and I said… 'This is sad, Richard, but I think so. We can talk about it, but I think at the end of the day… we want it to be more and more "ghost," [to have non-lethal options], but yeah, at the end of the day, it's just Sam Fisher and bad guys and maps, right?'"

I then remembered that this game never had a chance. Maybe spies vs mercs is good but I never played the original so that mode doesn't mean anything to me. It's multiplayer anyway so it immediately loses my interest.

I cannot believe they are sticking with the playable "Bourne style" stealth as seen in conviction. Coupled with no Michael Ironsides, and a heavy empahasis on multiplayer I'm cautiously optimistic.

I want another Chaos Theory style approach to the series.

Will wait for PC GAF to determine its credibility.

Nokterian

It's pretty disappointing to see they apparently didn't learn their lesson at all with this game. I saw that most of the reviews agreed the single player sucks and is only around 6 hours and that it's still mostly an action game. At least the Kotaku review reminded me of that quote from the game's director months ago.

I then remembered that this game never had a chance. Maybe spies vs mercs is good but I never played the original so that mode doesn't mean anything to me. It's multiplayer anyway so it immediately loses my interest.

Oh lawd,he's back! ;) Been a long time derrick now go forth spread the word (and you are all ready doing it)

Gbraga

I really don't get what's wrong with that statement that a lot of people made fun of at the time. Should he instead give the story more priority in a series with terrible story that's all about gameplay?

Or is it because of the take out 800 guys part? If so, I can understand that.

SystemBug

Nah the real deal was always the single player. It's just sad we'll never see it again from this IP.

Well, the single player sucks because the story is boring because it goes for the traditional Tom Clancy-esque thing.

Conviction was a lot better in that regard

also, on realistic the story is much longer than 6 hours.

Axial

Slightly OT: I just redeemed a blacklist code that I got with my 770. Do preorders not show up in Uplay?
Same here, I looked on the UBI forums and it seems like the game will show up on release. Kinda lame, they could've atleast give us the option to preload.

Well, the single player sucks because the story is boring because it goes for the traditional Tom Clancy-esque thing.

The only way someone's getting through the story in 6 hours is if they go assault / just don't care if they get spotted. For me the timer on most missions ended up being about 45 minutes each, and I'm pretty sure that doesn't count retries. There are around a dozen missions in the campaign and another dozen of the optional missions.

Sober

I really don't get what's wrong with that statement that a lot of people made fun of at the time. Should he instead give the story more priority in a series with terrible story that's all about gameplay?

Or is it because of the take out 800 guys part? If so, I can understand that.
Blacklist had the horrible luck of coming out at a time where everyone is re-evaluating narrative in games, and unfortunately from what I am reading, even if it happens to be a semi-serviceable Tom Clancy mess of a plot, 1) they don't do much with Sam Fisher other than him spitting out/following plot points (so basically 99% of every game minus Conviction) and the story apparently is written so it likes to wrestle control out of the player/"switch it up" far too often to be ~~cinematic~~.

By all accounts, it sounds like it is a fairly decent stealth-encouraged game (which should be the new genre now since, well, y'know), but the story, even if you could ignore it, makes its presence known by interrupting you apparently far too often than people would like.

Kazerei

Banned
Multiplayer is fucking awesome guys. The biggest problem with single player in SC is that the enemy AI is basic and predictable. Playing against humans is a much deeper, thought-provoking experience.

How do you choose a different install path on Uplay for your games? Don't want them on C: but I may have missed the option to change it :(

Also, my Digital Deluxe version said the deluxe version of Conviction would be automatically added to my account but the avatar for it looks like regular edition.

Story sucks because it doesnt goes for traditional Tom Clancy esque thing but because its bad copy of 24.

By the way PS3 version has 22MB patch but no mandatory install.

I did a little searching, but couldn't find a definite... the OP says optional controller, but required keyboard mouse... so to use the gamepad would I also need access to my keyboard and mouse?

Just curious about being able to big picture it in the living room. Sorry if this was answered somewhere that I completely missed.

So, for anybody who has a console version, how's the tearing?

The Gametrailers review made it look horrific, and I'm wondering if its improved on one version or the other as I'm not sold on either platform quite yet.

Any impressions?

This quote made me die a little inside.
Seems like apples and oranges. What makes stealth versus AI good is that the AI *is* predictable. Predictable bounds on movements and behavior states is what enables you to make multi-step plans either for ghosting or panther takedowns. Otherwise it would be luck of the draw with a lot of trial and error, which I imagine the multiplayer has a lot of - which is why you have so many lives.

I hope the single player is long. That is my primary interest here.

The MP looks interesting too though, so I will probably give that a spin.

Gbraga

Blacklist had the horrible luck of coming out at a time where everyone is re-evaluating narrative in games, and unfortunately from what I am reading, even if it happens to be a semi-serviceable Tom Clancy mess of a plot, 1) they don't do much with Sam Fisher other than him spitting out/following plot points (so basically 99% of every game minus Conviction) and the story apparently is written so it likes to wrestle control out of the player/"switch it up" far too often to be ~~cinematic~~.

By all accounts, it sounds like it is a fairly decent stealth-encouraged game (which should be the new genre now since, well, y'know), but the story, even if you could ignore it, makes its presence known by interrupting you apparently far too often than people would like.

So it's AAA blockbuster narrative? That really sucks.

Kazerei

Banned
Was he referring to Convction or Blacklist?

I should've mentioned I was talking about previous SC games; I haven't played Blacklist yet.

Anyways, I was just responding because people were concerned about the single player campaign. Who cares, multiplayer's where it's at :p

Since it's just a tweaked version of the LEAD engine from Conviction, I'd expect performance to be poor on the PC again. If I can maintain 60fps at any point in time at high settings, I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Urgh, I played Conviction fairly recently, and even with hardware that could handle BF3 on medium/high at 60fps I'd often see drops into the 30's on low. It's the worst optimised game I've played in a long time, worse than GTA 4 even. If blacklist isn't a huge improvement I won't even touch it, nevermind how it plays besides that.

Top Bottom