• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thing I don't get about the arguments defending the twist is that even if it were well-executed, it seems like at best, it's still just a rehash of MGS2's twists when it comes to any larger themes or messages. Sure, a deconstruction of the power fantasies involved in video games or the subversion of the player's identification with the hero is interesting commentary... But didn't we already get that in MGS2? And seemingly better executed as well?

Granted I haven't played MGSV yet, so maybe it does bring something new to the table that I'm just not picking up on.

Venom Fox

Banned
found this on /mgg/
"i just completed all of the mission on MGSV TPP and it it came up with some blue screen saying V has come to and restart after update. It took long as hell but Could this be the ending patch we are hoping for. also the screen looked like this MSX Boot Screen"
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif
Wow, what the fuck!

DNAbro

found this on /mgg/
"i just completed all of the mission on MGSV TPP and it it came up with some blue screen saying V has come to and restart after update. It took long as hell but Could this be the ending patch we are hoping for. also the screen looked like this MSX Boot Screen"
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif

seems like BS.

Alienous

The thing I don't get about the arguments defending the twist is that even if it were well-executed, it seems like at best, it's still just a rehash of MGS2's twists when it comes to any larger themes or messages. Sure, a deconstruction of the power fantasies involved in video games or the subversion of the player's identification with the hero is interesting commentary... But didn't we already get that in MGS2? And seemingly better executed as well?

Granted I haven't played MGSV yet, so maybe it does bring something new to the table that I'm just not picking up on.

It seemed like a lame, dumber retread of MGS2'S "these were your experiences" dogtag moment.

It's badly done MGSV, and it isn't just metaphorical.

Didn't read the whole topic, so I'm a bit confused... but what kind of military training did the medic had to be able to impersonate Big Boss? I mean, you can't just become a super-soldier just because you believe you are one. Is this explained in the game?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
found this on /mgg/
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif

This looks fake.

DevilFox

I have to agree with Alienous. Plus, MGS3 ending was already very powerful back then and still my favourite ever. While I would've liked one more chapter of BB's life (one, not three) to experience his fall into the man of Outer Heaven, at this point I'd prefer if we had stayed with that moment in front of the The Boss's tombstone. The message was delivered better than PO+PW+MGSV.

And I thought I was unpolite with my poor english, uh. See ya and sorry for wasting your time Boss. Unbelievable.

How do you unlock the bandana? It's still not unlocked for me after 4 days playing lol. Also I extracted the master gunsmith and still can't customise my weapons when do I unlock that feature?

I thought I read somewhere that you have to have 3 master gunsmiths to unlock weapon customization.

Edit: I stand corrected.

Alienous

Didn't read the whole topic, so I'm a bit confused... but what kind of military training did the medic had to be able to impersonate Big Boss? I mean, you can't just become a super-soldier just because you believe you are one. Is this explained in the game?

Hypnotherapy and 10 days of training by Ocelot.

How could Big Boss be so disgusted at the idea of being cloned that he wars with a old friend, yet so bubbalicious about morphing a man into himself?

I don't buy that "He died" crap. He had his face. They could have programmed him with his own personality, let him get back to living his life. Big Boss should have given Ocelot a swift backhand.

There is no MGS continuity. It's dead.

Big Boss was against having his DNA taken without his consent and having clones made of him in order to replace him.

He wasn't against the idea of brainwashing a soldier who followed him to provide 'cover' for him.

I mean...they're 2 very different things.

border

They cloned Big Boss 3 times......they tried to condition Raiden into being a super-soldier through some ridiculously convoluted simulation.....

Why was any of this necessary if all they needed was plastic surgery and some hypnosis?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
They cloned Big Boss 3 times......they tried to condition Raiden into being a super-soldier through some ridiculously convoluted simulation.....

Why was any of this necessary if all they needed was plastic surgery and some hypnosis?

Plastic surgery failed, the clones failed, S3 failed. It's all trial and error the Patriots, and their AIs executed.

Good question. I mean, Ocelot does the same thing to become Liquid. I guess Zero going into a coma 'solves' that plot thread(Since it was him and BB together who came up with that idea), and the Patriots misinterpreted that part of his Will as locking away BB and then virtually training people to be a soldier like him...?

This is one of those moments I wish this game had an hour long ending of exposition. Right now it's just a whole lot of speculation.

Deadly

He was part of MSF. I mean if you're a soldier chosen by BB, and then further trained with him, you're going to be pretty competent yourself.

Hypnotherapy and 10 days of training by Ocelot.

Thank you.

Seems forced... but after MGS4 and PW my expectations for the story were already pretty low, so I'm not surprised.

Thankfully this time the gameplay seems to be the big focus, and judging by what I see/played (GZ), this is going to be by far the best MGS in that regard.

He was part of MSF. I mean if you're a soldier chosen by BB, and then further trained with him, you're going to be pretty competent yourself.

Thx, it's getting a bit better.

I'm not here to read any spoilers but just to post that I
killed skullface, and destroyed the metal gear. I was fully contempt with the game ending at that point. I was fucking loving it as the credits rolled by, but then they throw chapter 2 in! This game just keeps on giving. Fucking GOTY

I'm not here to read any spoilers but just to post that I
killed skullface, and destroyed the metal gear. I was fully contempt with the game ending at that point. I was fucking loving it as the credits rolled by, but then they throw chapter 2 in! This game just keeps on giving. Fucking GOTY

Should someone tell this guy so he doesnt get his hopes up for another half of the game ):
I think i'd be alot happier if the game didnt get my hopes up

Plastic surgery failed, the clones failed, S3 failed. It's all trial and error the Patriots, and their AIs executed.

Venom worked, you just can't do something like that on any kind of larger scale. The main purpose was to be a decoy and suitably maintain BB's legend as a double, him being a super soldier wasn't necessary he just had to be good enough.

Clones were just made as insurance for BB's legacy/legend, them being super soldiers was secondary.

Genome soldiers had some small advantages but were defective.

S3 plan was a huge success as the Patriots said themselves

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
So I just got the ending
where it's revealed that he's not the BB.. Is this the "true" and final ending of the game?

News Bot

Banned
Mhm...the Patriots never managed to be able to replicated what happened in MGSV, which I suppose was their goal of S3.

There is zero reason they wouldn't be able to replicate it, considering how stupidly easy it already is in MGSV because "plastic surgery" is magic.

Tookay

I'm on mission 6, and I have to go to the Fort to secure the Honey Bee weaponry.

But on my way I reached the mountain relay base and they have a hostage called Hamid. But before I could go in, I was just doing recon and apparently they drove him off? Did I miss my chance?

Nah, you meet back up with him later in the mission.

News Bot

Banned
Eh, it wasn't just the plastic surgery that made the medic believe he was Big Boss though.

You say that as though "hypnotherapy" is any less magic.

Meryl got "psychotherapy" to remove an interest in men but still wanted Snake's ass at the end. Apparently it's perfect for turning someone into the world's greatest soldier but once it comes to cock it just can't deal with it.

How could Big Boss be so disgusted at the idea of being cloned that he wars with a old friend, yet so bubbalicious about morphing a man into himself?

I don't buy that "He died" crap. He had his face. They could have programmed him with his own personality, let him get back to living his life. Big Boss should have given Ocelot a swift backhand.

There is no MGS continuity. It's dead.

The entire switch is so full of plot holes that you could use it as a strainer. Like how could the atrophied Medic character take the roll of Big Boss, who had years of CQC, combat, and infiltration training from the "mother of the special forces" after waking up from a 9 year coma? Why did Big Boss's entire personal outlook reverse directions so suddenly after his dialog and actions in MGS3 and PW (he specifically states the he needed Medic to save him in the Mission 46 cassette scene)?

Kojima didn't really care about creating a cohesive, functioning in-universe story (as he doesn't in many of his later works with random personality changes to characters and drawing tenuous connections between unrelated events) - but rather he wanted the big switcheroo to be about the player's own meta experience. Venom Snake/Medic isn't really a real character in the world of Metal Gear - he has no personality or history before the big switch at the end - he's simply supposed to be the player's avatar with the final theme being that we're all Big Boss.

This is what I was driving at in my ending thematic analysis (got buried a few dozen pages back). At the end of the day, Kojima is all about the meta and doesn't place much emphasis on maintaining a cohesive internal universe so much as he uses the set of characters and their general backgrounds as vehicles to carry his thematic message. The characters are basically chess pieces, pawns to be used for him to construct these messages, but they're not really unique individuals (just look at how many times characters like Ocelot, Otacon, Liquid, and Kaz have been repurposed, sometimes just in name with drastically different personas or the reverse, with their appearance and voice copied and pasted wholesale onto another person from a different era).

Personally, I think the whole thing could have been handled better, but it's really best not to get too wrapped up with the internal consistency of the franchise at this point, because the writing simply doesn't support it.

Mafro

Can someone give me a hint on how the fuck I'm meant to do the Traitor's Caravan mission?
You have to steal a truck, and when you do four of those overpowered, teleporting soldiers pop out and attack. Try to drive away in the truck and they just blow it up.

So has anyone earned any Mother Base Coins in single player yet? Asking because this has come to light.

I noticed the 1500-1700 cost for waters is conveniently above the 1150 "micro"transaction, and the next level up is basically the cost of entire game.

Mendrox

So was there any easy tactic for the first Metal Gear encounter? I needed 40 minutes to get into the fucking chopper D: But really awesome... I want a new Kojima Mecha game now :(

Surely the guide would mention it?
he does get on his knees in the hallway scene
The guide mentions cutscenes? We also haven't seen the cutscene with venoms fully bloody face with fire behind him. Or the children being trained to shoot. Or the children on the tanks. I still think side ops will show more. Presumably when you fight Eli controlling the st84.

Tookay

Can someone give me a hint on how the fuck I'm meant to do the Traitor's Caravan mission?
You have to steal a truck, and when you do four of those overpowered, teleporting soldiers pop out and attack. Try to drive away in the truck and they just blow it up.

I just bombarded the shit out of them with artillery.

The entire switch is so full of plot holes that you could use it as a strainer. Like how could the atrophied Medic character take the roll of Big Boss, who had years of CQC, combat, and infiltration training from the "mother of the special forces" after waking up from a 9 year coma? Why did Big Boss's entire personal outlook reverse directions so suddenly after his dialog and actions in MGS3 and PW (he specifically states the he needed Medic to save him in the Mission 46 cassette scene)?

Kojima didn't really care about creating a cohesive, functioning in-universe story (as he doesn't in many of his later works with random personality changes to characters and drawing tenuous connections between unrelated events) - but rather he wanted the big switcheroo to be about the player's own meta experience. Venom Snake/Medic isn't really a real character in the world of Metal Gear - he has no personality or history before the big switch at the end - he's simply supposed to be the player's avatar with the final theme being that we're all Big Boss.

This is what I was driving at in my ending thematic analysis (got buried a few dozen pages back). At the end of the day, Kojima is all about the meta and doesn't place much emphasis on maintaining a cohesive internal universe so much as he uses the set of characters and their general backgrounds as vehicles to carry his thematic message. The characters are basically chess pieces, pawns to be used for him to construct these messages, but they're not really unique individuals (just look at how many times characters like Ocelot, Liquid, and Kaz have been repurposed, sometimes just in name with drastically different personas or the reverse, with their appearance and voice copied and pasted wholesale onto another person from a different era).

Personally, I think the whole thing could have been handled better, but it's really best not to get too wrapped up with the internal consistency of the franchise at this point, because the writing simply doesn't support it.

I think that's a pretty fair analysis honestly.

Speaking of which, I totally agree that Ocelot, Liquid, and Kaz have been completely inconsistent from game-to-game. Kaz seems like he's borderline bipolar in this one.

The guide mentions cutscenes? We also haven't seen the cutscene with venoms fully bloody face with fire behind him. Or the children being trained to shoot. Or the children on the tanks. I still think side ops will show more. Presumably when you fight Eli controlling the st84.

Woahh what?
Also it really does just seem made for the trailers....

Anyone got clarification on that? cause im pretty sure that wont happen, i think it just means the children goes missing side ops which leads into this
I played all those side ops with the children missing. But the game never gave full closure on what happens with Eli and the kids. So isn't that a plot hole that should be addressed in the side ops? Makes sense to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom