• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It'd be hard for Solid to know then. Since the Patriot AI came into play late 80's/early 90's, it's possible they couldn't tell the difference between VS and BB.

Yes, thats fine.

But my hangup is that Venom was doing one of 2 things between V and MG1.

1. He was laying low under orders by BB.
or
2. He was a mercenary warlord.

1 insists he was obedient to Big Boss. Which goes against the idea that this game makes the player want to resent BB like another poster was suggesting., because your own character is apparently fine with it.

2 is impossible. BB cannot be Solid Snake's commander while also a popular mercenary legend because he would pick up on that.

Sorry but knowing what we know about big boss makes it impossible for him to become a monster in one single game, imo. That's a switch that does not get flipped instantly.
Why? We just saw a guy who thought he was Big Boss do exactly what you're saying he can't. And lucky for Big Boss, he's had four games and a demo. Heroes becoming villains isn't something out of the ordinary in fiction, especially comic booky fiction like Metal Gear.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Yes, thats fine.

But my hangup is that Venom was doing one of 2 things between V and MG1.

1. He was laying low under orders by BB.
or
2. He was a mercenary warlord.

1 insists he was obedient to Big Boss. Which goes against the idea that this game makes the player want to resent BB like another poster was suggesting., because your own character is apparently fine with it.

2 is impossible. BB cannot be Solid Snake's commander while also a popular mercenary legend because he would pick up on that.
Something not discussed is, who is Saladin? From your post, I've come to the conclusion that Venom goes by the name Saladin until Outer Heaven. Too many questions for the metal gear fans... The casual fan isn't going to care about these discrepancies

nOoblet16

Yes. It's a mismash of generic-y music. Harry Gregson Williams had an underling compose it.

I don't recall the melody, but I remember liking the music that plays when you escape with Huey, and not much else. There's no 'Dead Cell Yell' equivalent, or anything that really gets you going. A lot of it is floaty, Deus Ex-y music.

But even Deus Ex had a great ost and quite memorable like NYC streets or Michael Mcann's Icarus from Human Revolution :p

After reading through the spoilers and being a big fan of MGS1-3.... The story sounds like one of the biggest wasted opportunities in a long time. Like, even worse than 4's and PW's impacts on my appreciation of the series.

Thankfully, the actual gaming part looks ludicrously delicious.

Salaadin

Why? We just saw a guy who thought he was Big Boss do exactly what you're saying he can't. And lucky for Big Boss, he's had four games and a demo. Heroes becoming villains isn't something out of the ordinary in fiction, especially comic booky fiction like Metal Gear.
A faceless, no name, no backstory medic is easier to swallow than big boss, a war hero who we've been playing as and following sporadically since 2004.

We know BBs personality. We know what makes him tick. Because of this, it's very difficult to craft a story where he believably becomes the monstrous war criminal that everyone expects.

Something not discussed is, who is Saladin? From your post, I've come to the conclusion that Venom goes by the name Saladin until Outer Heaven. Too many questions for the metal gear fans... The casual fan isn't going to care about these discrepancies

Saladin is one of the names BB went by, Sniper Wolf called him that. Maybe when he was in Iraq he went by that name?

Alienous

A faceless, no name, no backstory medic is easier to swallow than big boss, a war hero who we've been playing as and following sporadically since 2004.

We know BBs personality. We know what makes him tick. Because of this, it's very difficult to craft a story where he believably becomes the monstrous war criminal that everyone expects.

But they do, they just decide to not have the character development happen for Big Boss.

He has reasons to desire revenge. The reasoning for the start of the child recruitment is there; all these children know is war, and so taking them in and educating them becomes a goal of Big Boss. He sees capable soldier children; he could go on to view child soldiers as capable like any other.

They skip telling a story of Big Boss losing it so that he keeps being 'cool', and that's weak.

This is a problem caused by Peace Walker and other stuff continuing to make BB endearing. MGS3's ending was all we actually needed to see. That one final cutscenes implies far more about his downfall than any actual details of the following games. There were blanks we could fill in. We saw how hurt he was. Everything beyond that is unnecessary.

I agree with you that it became increasingly unbelievable that Big Boss turned out to be a bad guy the more they elaborated on his post-MGS3 activities, but that's Kojima and co's own damn fault.

Salaadin

But they do, they just decide to not have the character development happen for Big Boss.

He has reasons to desire revenge. The reasoning for the start of the child recruitment is there; all these children know is war, and so taking them in and educating them becomes a goal of Big Boss. He sees capable soldier children; he could go on to view child soldiers as capable like any other.

They skip their story of Big Boss losing it so that he keeps being 'cool', and that's weak.
I won't disagree here. I thought we'd see evil big boss start forming after mgs3. That never happened and I hate it.

rrc1594

They skip telling a story of Big Boss losing it so that he keeps being 'cool', and that's weak.

The thing is he is not even "cool" anymore.

Justified

Saladin is one of the names BB went by, Sniper Wolf called him that. Maybe when he was in Iraq he went by that name?

Saladin is a "Hero" of kurdish/turkish orgin (so is Sniper Wolf). She was basically calling him a Hero.

Sort of like if I said "Whoa slow down there Rambo" If you wanted to go into the game, guns a blazing

KOMANI

KOMANI
I know WHO Saladin is supposed to be... But there are 2 B. Bosses. Who's to say the one in hiding didn't confine to Sniper Wolf with a wink, " pssst, I'm really Big Boss".
Otherwise, the Saladin angle makes sense if the one in hiding can't go by his famous monicker.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I think Hideo's love for himself, his ego, and big boss have hindered the progression and evolution of the story of Metal Gear.

But the player isn't supposed to think that it's a nobody originally. The player is supposed to think it's him the whole time until the reveal. This whole 30 years we've accepted that he eventually becomes some nut job warlord. I'm not sure how it's easier to swallow a guy we've never even heard of thinking he's the guy when you can just have...the guy do the thing.

The fact that we know his personality is why this whole thing is lame. The Big Boss we knew was some lame gun nerd who became disillusioned with his country and the idea of the soldier. He then becomes some for profit bitter guy who gets manipulated by countries he left behind him. People can change after lots of bad shit happens to them. Like every tragic villain has the "he was good until this event changed him/her at their core" story. Knowing Big Boss' earlier escapades doesnt change this.

Tookay

This is a problem caused by Peace Walker and other stuff continuing to make BB endearing. MGS3's ending was all we actually needed to see. That one final cutscenes implies far more about his downfall than any actual details of the following games. There were blanks we could fill in. We saw how hurt he was. Everything beyond that is unnecessary.

I agree with you that it became increasingly unbelievable that Big Boss turned out to be a bad guy the more they elaborated on his post-MGS3 activities, but that's Kojima and co's own damn fault.

This.

News Bot

Banned
Something I just remembered is that both Ocelot and Vulcan Raven were at Outer Heaven. So Ocelot ended up assisting Venom Snake anyway despite backing Big Boss?

Venom Fox

Banned
rip spainkiller (▼∧ ・)ゞ a tru patriot

What happened to him?
He was banned for being condescending towards other members. He may have most of his MGS knowledge correct but that doesn't give him superiority over everyone in this thread, nor does it mean he can call people butthurt because he thinks he and only he understands the story. I know I can be a dick sometimes but that guy was just annoying.

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
He was banned for being condescending towards other members. He may have most of his MGS knowledge correct but that doesn't give him superiority over everyone in this thread, nor does it mean he can call people butthurt because he thinks he and only he understands the story. I know I can be a dick sometimes but that guy was just annoying.

I agree with every point he made regarding the game, and story, but there's a way you're supposed to treat people. People who don't like what you don't like aren't dumb or butthurt, they just have a differing opinion. Good mod.

Venom Fox

Banned
Something I just remembered is that both Ocelot and Vulcan Raven were at Outer Heaven. So Ocelot ended up assisting Venom Snake anyway despite backing Big Boss?
Really? Damn, I may have missed something because I don't remember Ocelot or Vulcan Raven being there at all. I'm clearly lacking some knowledge lol.

KOMANI

KOMANI
It's so confusing... So the Two Snakes are locked in a battle... And now the two Bosses.

Venom Fox

Banned
I agree with every point he made regarding the game, and story, but there's a way you're supposed to treat people. People who don't like what you don't like aren't dumb or butthurt, they just have a differing opinion. Good mod.
But the thing is his points about the game were his opinion, people disagreed with him and he got his superiority hat on and went to town. Yep I personally think whoever banned him was just waiting for the excuse to do so.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Right, so this episode 2 thing is about completing side ops? So completing these sides ops will lead me into the other part of the story? Things like finding Paz?

Ishan

agree ive been reading his posts and he makes some points but he was quite ahem zealous with his viewpoint.

Alienous

How could Big Boss be so disgusted at the idea of being cloned that he wars with a old friend, yet so bubbalicious about morphing a man into himself?

I don't buy that "He died" crap. He had his face. They could have programmed him with his own personality, let him get back to living his life. Big Boss should have given Ocelot a swift backhand.

There is no MGS continuity. It's dead.

Does anyone know how you unlock the Solid Snake sneaking suit w/ the bandana? Not the retro mgs1 from GZ, but the one used in one of the official TPP demo videos?

Alienous

Does anyone know how you unlock the Solid Snake sneaking suit w/ the bandana? Not the retro mgs1 from GZ, but the one used in one of the official TPP demo videos?

The bandana is seperate. You'll gain the ability to develop the stealth suit fairly early in the game.

Really? Damn, I may have missed something because I don't remember Ocelot or Vulcan Raven being there at all. I'm clearly lacking some knowledge lol.

It's so confusing... So the Two Snakes are locked in a battle... And now the two Bosses.

Ocelot was not at Outer Heaven, he was doing mercernary stuff at the time until he came back unto the scene with Shadow Moses.

Vulcan was there but he never met Solid, he wouldn't know anything about Venom so it doesn't matter.

Venom Fox

Banned
The bandana is seperate. You'll gain the ability to develop the stealth suit fairly early in the game.
How do you unlock the bandana? It's still not unlocked for me after 4 days playing lol. Also I extracted the master gunsmith and still can't customise my weapons when do I unlock that feature?

AAMARMO

Banned
1441050400968.jpg
found this on /mgg/
"i just completed all of the mission on MGSV TPP and it it came up with some blue screen saying V has come to and restart after update. It took long as hell but Could this be the ending patch we are hoping for. also the screen looked like this MSX Boot Screen"
TadkV.gif
TadkV.gif

Alienous

How do you unlock the bandana? It's still not unlocked for me after 4 days playing lol. Also I extracted the master gunsmith and still can't customise my weapons when do I unlock that feature?

I think it's level 35 R&D and medical for the bandana.

As for weapon customization I haven't been able to do it.

Lakitu

st5fu
I'm on mission 6, and I have to go to the Fort to secure the Honey Bee weaponry.

But on my way I reached the mountain relay base and they have a hostage called Hamid. But before I could go in, I was just doing recon and apparently they drove him off? Did I miss my chance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom