• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SPOILER: Spoiler Metal Gear Solid V (TPS) Spoiler Thread (Contains Spoilers, Thanos).

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOMANI

KOMANI
1. Ocelot and Eli know each other in this game.
2.The one given is going to have to do.
3. We don't know if it's the Patriot AI manipulating BB to send Solid Snake, or whether BB felt VS became a threat.
4. They probably meet up before '95.
5. Eh, the only questions are how MG1/MG2 unfolded in the grand scheme of things. Those games simply don't have enough story to 'fit' as it stands.
Yea, they know each other... And Ocelot abuses him through out the whole game.
All your other answers are speculation.
It's bad writing, plain and simple. And I actually like the twist.

Yea, they know each other... And Ocelit abuses him through out the whole game.
All your other answers are speculation.
It's bad writing, plain and simple. And I actually like the twist.

I disagree, I think it's decent writing and it passes along the needed information(With the supplemental cassette tapes!).

nOoblet16

Posted this in OT but I doubt I'll get any response there.

This game so far is basically RNG missions the game with one or two actual story missions thrown in every 5 hours or so most of the time they are pretty short and don't offer any development. That mission where I met Huey is the closest the game has been to being "Metal Gear"

A while ago I had to steal a truck in Africa where at the end I get ambushed by the mist unit. That was the last time i came across anything that had something to do with the main plot.

How far do you think I am in the game plot/story wise? Because so far I still seem to be in Chapter 1, I really really do hope that the plot missions become a bit more prominent later on because right now the "main missions" are nothing but slightly more elaborate side ops.

The badly localized cassette tapes? With flat dialogue? With the exemption of Major Zero, that guy killed it.

It's not flat, some of the voice acting is great in it! Unless some of the streams I saw fucked it up and seemingly had better voice acting.

Alienous

Posted this in OT but I doubt I'll get any response there.

This game so far is basically RNG missions the game with one or two actual story missions thrown in every 5 hours or so most of the time they are pretty short and don't offer any development. That mission where I met Huey is the closest the game has been to being "Metal Gear"

A while ago I had to steal a truck in Africa where at the end I get ambushed by the mist unit. That was the last time i came across anything that had something to do with the main plot.

How far do you think I am in the game plot/story wise? Because so far I still seem to be in Chapter 1, I really really do hope that the plot missions become a bit more prominent later on because right now the "main missions" are nothing but slightly more elaborate side ops.

About 2/3rds of the missions are meaningless.

There's a lot nothing, a little bit of something, nothing, something(etc).

Only about a 1/3rd of the game is plot relevant, and that's me being generous.

It does have a string of about 5 meaningful missions near the end, though.

KOMANI

KOMANI
It's not flat, some of the voice acting is great in it! Unless some of the streams I saw fucked it up and seemingly had better voice acting.
Agree to disagree. Love the game, love the twist, love Zero's VA... But the writing did nothing for me... Because it meant nothing.

nOoblet16

About 2/3rds of the missions are meaningless.

There's a lot nothing, a little bit of something, nothing, something(etc).

Only about a 1/3rd of the game is plot relevant, and that's me being generous.

It does have a string of about 5 meaningful missions near the end, though.

So long as they are long (i.e. atleast 40 minutes each or more) I think I'll be happy as that'd might be enough to not leave a bad taste. Otherwise it might end up feeling like it finished before it even had a chance to develop into something.

It's a shame though that Kojima didn't do much in the name of plot in his last Metal Gear game, I didn't expect bloat like previous games but atleast a decent amount which is why I think I will be left asking for more despite the fact that it's never happening.

Regardless, I doubt this game would replace MGS3 as my favourite MGS ever, despite the aged gameplay and mostly linear world it still provided with a ton more options to handle a situation imo. Plus that story, it really was a good balance between gameplay and story as far as an MGS game goes.

Alienous

So long as they are long (i.e. atleast 40 minutes each or more) I think I'll be happy as that'd might be enough to not leave a bad taste. Otherwise it might end up feeling like it finished before it even had a chance to develop into something.

It's a shame though that Kojima didn't do much in the name of plot in his last Metal Gear game, I didn't expect bloat like previous games but atleast a decent amount which is why I think I will be left asking for more despite the fact that it's never happening.

Regardless, I doubt this game would replace MGS3 as my favourite MGS ever, despite the aged gameplay and mostly linear world it still provided with a ton more options to handle a situation imo. Plus that story, it really was a good balance between gameplay and story as far as an MGS game goes.

Your impression is almost the exact same as mine. MGS3 remains the best in the series.

The plot does start up and get interesting though. You'll know when it happens, it's pretty good.

Again, all the hate will come from people who wanted this game to be Big Boss' final ride
more like all the hate will be from people who wanted to see Big Boss become the villain, not be told it from the pov of some dude who's supposed to be his best bud that we've never heard of till now

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
more like all the hate will be from people who wanted to see Big Boss become the villain, not be told it from the pov of some dude who's supposed to be his best bud that we've never heard of till now

V was not his best bud, he was a regular soldier who idolized Big Boss. BB used him to keep his legend alive while he was setting up Zanzabarland undetected.

There are no heroes or villains in the MGS saga. It's all about perception. Liquid was not a villain, he was trying to strike back at the system that he believed wronged him and his ilk. Solidus was not a villain, he wanted to buck at control. The Boss was not a villain, she was a tool of the government sent to die. History is written by those who survive, and there is no clear good or evil.

KOMANI

KOMANI
V was not his best bud, he was a regular soldier who idolized Big Boss. BB used him to keep his legend alive while he was setting up Zanzabarland undetected.

There are no heroes or villains in the MGS saga. It's all about perception. Liquid was not a villain, he was trying to strike back at the system that he believed wronged him and his ilk. Solidus was not a villain, he wanted to buck at control. The Boss was not a villain, she was a tool of the government sent to die. History is written by those who survive, and there is no clear good or evil.
Skull face is pretty evil.

Anyone know how to get back into Hueys lab on the R&D platform? Are there any special missable scenes like the ones for Paz?

This is some lousy spin

You might as well be quoting Obi Wan to go with all this parasite midicholorian nonsense

Salaadin

I honestly dont know how Big Boss could have become the villain.
Up until this point, hes not a bad guy. Hes far from it. Anyone thinking that one game is going to show his descent into madness is a little misguided, imo. It was never going to happen. I include myself as one of these misguded people too.

TwoDurans

Skull face is pretty evil.

Victim of circumstance. If you listen to his backstory, he's just as tragic as Liquid or Solidus.

This is some lousy spin

You might as well be quoting Obi Wan to go with all this parasite midicholorian nonsense

Not spin. It's hilarious how many people haven't finished the game, but are outraged by it. Play the damned thing and I promise you'll see it in a different light than you do now having just read a few spoilers.

So...in the Highly Skilled Soldier 04 Side Op Miller (or Ocelot) mentions Quiet. Yet no Quiet? Or at least the highly skilled soldier was definetley a dude and Quiet ain't no Chico.

KOMANI

KOMANI
Victim of circumstance. If you listen to his backstory, he's just as tragic as Liquid or Solidus.

Not spin. It's hilarious how many people haven't finished the game, but are outraged by it. Play the damned thing and I promise you'll see it in a different light than you do now having just read a few spoilers.
ive listened to it... And I've listened to him torture someone, and force a child to rape a prisoner. He's evil, so is Volgin for that matter. And Fat Man.

Cronen

Also, do we know what causes soldiers at mother base to fight each other? Is it low morale? I don't like them ending up in the sick bay :(

Having a tragic backstory doesnt excuse villainous actions. Tonnes of characters have sad sack histories and think they're doing the right thing, it still makes them villains. You don't need to be mustache twirling evil like Skullface or Volgin to be the villain.

TwoDurans

Having a tragic backstory doesnt excuse villainous actions. Tonnes of characters have sad sack histories and think they're doing the right thing, it still makes them villains. You don't need to be mustache twirling evil like Skullface or Volgin to be the villain.

I'm just saying that there are people who are evil for the sake of being evil, and there are villains who think they're doing the right thing, like Solidus. Skullface is definitely a bad guy, but why he is the way he is becomes understandable if you know his backstory.

Liquid wanted to drag the world into WW3, he's a goddamn villain.

He's a child lashing out. The way they handled Eli explains a lot of what's wrong with Liquid.

KOMANI

KOMANI
You know who the hero is for Metal Gear? solid snake. You can argue about him helping the Patriots cause, but he's always kept in the dark. He also is the only altruistic character besides Cyborg Ninja, and downplays his Heroism.

I'm just saying that there are people who are evil for the sake of being evil, and there are villains who think they're doing the right thing, like Solidus. Skullface is definitely a bad guy, but why he is the way he is becomes understandable if you know his backstory.
Yeah, villains can have multiple motivations and reasons for their actions. Mr. Freeze steals to help save his dying wife, Two-Face's dad beat him as a child, Poison Ivy wants to protect nature, blah blah. No one's saying they can't have tragedy or be sympathetic. They're still villains, and people want to see Big Boss become that, not be told it.

I honestly dont know how Big Boss could have become the villain.
Up until this point, hes not a bad guy. Hes far from it. Anyone thinking that one game is going to show his descent into madness is a little misguided, imo. It was never going to happen. I include myself as one of these misguded people too.
Why not? Misguided? Kojima showed some other dude going nuts in the end with this game. He's had three chances to do this for Big Boss. A game is more than enough time.

Tookay

So far (30 missions in), I feel like the plot-relevant missions tend to run much longer than any other mission (plot-irrelevant and side-ops) in the game.

Why not? Misguided? Kojima showed some other dude going nuts in the end with this game. He's had three chances to do this for Big Boss. A game is more than enough time.

It's kind of a shame that Kojima has teased "This is the game that will finally push BB over the edge" three times only to walk back from it.

nOoblet16

So far (30 missions in), I feel like the plot-relevant missions tend to run much longer than any other mission (plot-irrelevant and side-ops) in the game.

It's kind of a shame that Kojima's teased "This is the game that will finally push BB over the edge" only to walk back from it each time.
You know what else is missing from this game? The music, fuckin hell where is it?

I can distinctively remember tunes from past games till this day, they were instantly recognisable and likeable from the very moment I heard them the first time. In MGSV the only tune I recognise is the one that plays when Big Boss lights up his Phantom Cigar.

You know who the hero is for Metal Gear? solid snake. You can argue about him helping the Patriots cause, but he's always kept in the dark. He also is the only altruistic character besides Cyborg Ninja, and downplays his Heroism.

Yup. This game solidifies that SS is the only character who didnt buy into his own or BBs legend, he understood that they were all just killers who were good at their job.

I've asked this a few times but never got an answer. Aren't any of you wondering why we never saw the beginning scene of the nuclear trailer and when he screams into the sky? Was it removed?

I've asked this a few times but never got an answer. Aren't any of you wondering why we never saw the beginning scene of the nuclear trailer and when he screams into the sky? Was it removed?

Alot of scenes were changed in the final game to avoid "spoiling" the two bosses "twist", wouldn't surprise me if these scenes were there just for trailers aswell

Yup. This game solidifies that SS is the only character who didnt buy into his own or BBs legend, he understood that they were all just killers who were good at their job.
And you know what, I love it. MGS4 hurt Solid Snake's characterization, in my view, a bit, but after this, I feel better about him. He's my brah.

Venom Fox

Banned

Alot of scenes were changed in the final game to avoid "spoiling" the two bosses "twist", wouldn't surprise me if these scenes were there just for trailers aswell
Yep, the screaming into the sky scene seems like it was changed to the hallway scene. Although if that was the case then why would he have shown it in later trailers?

Cut content maybe? I dunno man but that was the one scene I really wanted to see.

I think they're from the sahelanthropus fight with Eli in the side ops. I doubt that scene would be removed or there just for the trailer.

Alienous

You know what else is missing from this game? The music, fuckin hell where is it?

I can distinctively remember tunes from past games till this day, they were instantly recognisable and likeable from the very moment I heard them the first time. In MGSV the only tune I recognise is the one that plays when Big Boss lights up his Phantom Cigar.

Yes. It's a mismash of generic-y music. Harry Gregson Williams had an underling compose it.

I don't recall the melody, but I remember liking the music that plays when you escape with Huey, and not much else. There's no 'Dead Cell Yell' equivalent, or anything that really gets you going. A lot of it is floaty, Deus Ex-y music.

Salaadin

Sorry but knowing what we know about big boss makes it impossible for him to become a monster in one single game, imo. That's a switch that does not get flipped instantly.

Tookay

I think what little music is present suits it well in an atmospheric sense, but it doesn't really draw attention to itself. And it certainly isn't memorable or melodic like HGW's old stuff.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I put this in the other thread but no one responded would someone be able to PM me the answer to my question because I stay the fuck out of these spoiler threads

Just a question for people who have the game. I noticed for some enemy camps there are lights on at night etc. I know you can either turn off the generator or shoot the generator to destroy it, but can you shoot out the lights individually instead at all...If not seems like a missed opportunity. Thanks

I put this in the other thread but no one responded would someone be able to PM me the answer to my question because I stay the fuck out of these spoiler threads

Just a question for people who have the game. I noticed for some enemy camps there are lights on at night etc. I know you can either turn off the generator or shoot the generator to destroy it, but can you shoot out the lights individually instead at all...If not seems like a missed opportunity. Thanks

Yes you can, I do it all the time. However, I cannot remember if it alerts the guards or not.

You mean the search lights? Yes you can shoot them out

Spainkiller

the man who sold the world
Everyone is Big Bass guys.

The butthurt is delicious.

You can mock it all you want, but it has been the central core of the franchise since MGS.

Everyone who's disappointed that they didn't get to play as their favorite legendary soldier is essentially a Zero themselves; not being able to let go of a label. An image. And the butthurt and negative comments are signs that, like Zero, you're angry that you can't get your poster boy back. You'd rather have your boy cloned ("Kojima did a good job with BB in MGS3; he should do that again!") than just let go and face the future head-on in a fresh way.

Kojima is a master because, for decades now, he has both enabled our military power fantasies *and* warned us not to get comfortable with it. He lets us be the legends, whilst warning us that there's no such thing.

Let the backlash happen. I know exactly how it's going to play out. And I know exactly how Venom will be reevaluated once the dust has settled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom