• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] IGN - FF XV’s Story Takes Place Over [SPOILERS] Years [SPOILERS] SPOILERS

artsi

Wonder why putting the flying car at the end of the game, if it's not open world anymore and you have to go back through a menu. Unless i'm missing something...

You go back and forth between the endgame area and normal world from a menu, so you can still use the car however you want in the open world.

Also, it's not "2nd half is not open world":

It actually transfers into that linear part of gameplay when the story ramps up and gets into its final stages. Rather than the latter half of the game, it’s very close to the end of the game so to speak.

Ydelnae

Gosh I wish Tabata would stop talking about the latter parts of the game. It feels like he's just going to slip out the final boss name in a random interview.

Roubjon

Is Joel's daughter dying in the Last of Us a spoiler? Because that happens within the first 10 minutes of the game. To have the opening of a game revealed blows hard.

I'm definitely upset I got of this spoiled this :(

I'm kind of worried about the story in this. If anything, the prologue (using a narrative hook I've never been a big fan of) and the amount of time the game covers makes me more worried than I was before. It's hard to explain why, really. (For that matter, I'm not sure why I'm so concerned about the storytelling when there has been a pretty clear trend of lackluster stories for the series as of late.)

I like that we (or I, at least, watching most released media but avoiding leaks) don't know much about the story past the first few hours, but it seems incredibly strange that I can't just summarize the game's narrative drive in a sentence by now.

Re: spoilers, I'm all for being considerate and erring on the side of caution when it comes to plot spoilers, but I really don't think the "shape" of a story is something that needs to be hidden.

Nerokis

OP creates thread with new info.

This info related to things that haven't been prominent or even known at all until recently. It also relates to things we now know are revealed very early, that are showing up in more and more promotional materials, and so on. However, there are a lot of people for whom this is all very new. For some of those, the surprise of hearing that the characters who have otherwise been so static in our minds for so long (in terms of age, anyway) will actually grow up throughout the course of the game registers as being "spoiled."

In actuality, that's not totally surprising. The counter-spoiler culture then latching onto all the people who pop up to complain, and going on and on about how their specific lines for what constitutes a spoiler are wrong/dumb/etc. about how discussion will not be policed, and whatever else does at least as much as spoiler culture itself to ruin threads (look at this one). It's just so predictable, and not to mention endless. The counter-spoiler culture stuff has stigmatized whining about spoilers, and added another line of discussion that comes up whenever people do so (wtf spoiler culture isn't my boss, we owe you nothing, etc.) without actually really clarifying anything. Thus, we continue to basically agree to be conscious of spoilers as we maneuver through discussions, but then act super surprised or disgusted when spoilers beyond "this person died" (Noctis dies then comes back to life, btw) actually become an issue to someone.

Basically, I wish we could just say, "Sorry, but this is out there now, and not enough people agree it's a big deal that discussion on it is going to be given the spoiler treatment" and move on. And sure, in the meantime, media blackout people will hopefully pick up on the fact that it's inherently impossible for them to be fully accommodated in discussions or even thread titles. :p

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
option 2. we see noctis go in to a deep sleep coma for 10 years , a time skip. just like the leak.

See. Now this is an actual unmarked spoiler. Thanks asshole. I really needed to know that info from the 4chan leak. Whether it's true or not, now I'm gonna be waiting for it to happen.

lol These people complaining about "spoilers" should watch Kingsglaive

"Omg this movie is spoiling the game!!! What was Tabata thinking!! "

Fardeen

See. Now this is an actual unmarked spoiler. Thanks asshole. I really needed to know that info from the 4chan leak. Whether it's true or not, now I'm gonna be waiting for it to happen.

the leaks are fake and u shouldnt have clicked if u knew it was a minefield of spoilers, and how is this info gonna ruin the game for u???? chapter 0 literally old noctis, how he got old is irrelevant right now, theory or not. u can always speculate, leaks or not, there was only two ways it was gonna play out anyway, gradual aging in game or a time skip

nOoblet16

Is Joel's daughter dying in the Last of Us a spoiler? Because that happens within the first 10 minutes of the game. To have the opening of a game revealed blows hard.

I'm definitely upset I got of this spoiled this :(
Yes her death is a spoiler because the game spends the first 10-15 minutes to set it up so that it hits you. The situation with FFXV is entirely different because it does not set it up instead what happens in FFXV is that this is literally the first thing you see when the game starts, it's the first thing you see in the game.

This is the equivalent of seeing Nathan Drake in UC2 opening hurt in a damaged train...something that you saw in ore release materials as well...and calling that a spoiler.

SilverArrow20XX

the leaks are fake and u shouldnt have clicked if u knew it was a minefield of spoilers, and how is this info gonna ruin the game for u???? chapter 0 literally old noctis, how he got old is irrelevant right now, theory or not. u can always speculate, leaks or not, there was only two ways it was gonna play out anyway, gradual aging in game or a time skip

Are you for real? The game taking place over 10 years is not a spoiler. Speculation is not a spoiler. Stating detailed info from a leak that is apparently getting more and more confirmed every day is a spoiler.
Noctis going into a deep coma for 10 years
is most definitely a spoiler. If you had just said it's a timeskip, that woudn't be a big deal.

It is 100% your fault for not tagging info from the 4chan leak. It's already confirmed a sizable portion of it is real info.

Unless I misunderstood and that detailed info was your own speculation.

So why did you enter this thread?

Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware this was the unmarked 4chan leak spoiler discussion thread. I'm not on media blackout. I expect people to not follow the rules and post leak spoilers occasionally, and I take that risk. Doesn't mean I don't have the right to be upset with the rulebreaker when they do.

Koozek

So the leak is becoming more and more legit. That's scary.
I don't understand these comments at all. Someone at this point of development - and there are many people who would classify, like Q&A/playtesters or PR people - knows the story outline or certain points and could then just add stuff to it for fun to make the game look bad and stir up forums. It's really not that hard for people to have known that there was a time skip in FFXV or whatever, especially because it's in the first 2 minutes of all the recent demo that also the press played weeks before the gamescom reveal of the first 3 chapters (though I think I remember at least the Game Informer guys saying they haven't yet seen the Chapter 0 when they played it a few months ago on their visit to SE Japan, but the recent previews from the press were from just a few days before gamescom, so the Chapter 0 section was in already).

21XX

Banned
Folks, you can't expect the internet to protect your from information that the developers are openly sharing. That's ridiculous. And you can whine about "courtesy" and all that, but hiding from marketing information is your responsibility, not everyone else's.

Dee Dee

IGN - FFXV STORY DETAILS

Are they new? Is it stuff concerning open questions?
Come on man, we want new threads for new news on this board so people that don't want to read 25 pages of discussion can stay up to date. This is clickbait bullshit and you'll never remember what that thread was called once you try to look for it with the search, and we'll have 8 "FFXV Story Details" threads concerning completely different shit in no time. There is just no way to discuss openly available information on a story for a game where stuff trickles down over years and a huge number of events without people putting the actual topic of the thread as the thread title.

Fardeen

Noctis going into a deep coma for 10 years is definitely not a spoiler, i had to re read the 4chan post but its pretty close. thats why i said coma. anyway it does not spoil the game in any way at all. nothing w ill take the enjoyment, its not as if i said venom is not big boss but the medic, thats a major plot point. the 10 years time skip is not a secret and ff games has a lot of twist and turn and i doubt something like this will take your enjoyment, if u want a media blackout just dont read FF XV threads at all

Illucio

Banned
I like older Final Fantasy characters. What I don't like is how they decided to implement this time skip. It's very cheesy and felt out of place.

I want to see a middle age person ad a main character in a final fantasy for once. But for the right reasons.

Nerokis

if u want a media blackout just dont read FF XV threads at all

SilverArrow is on your side, guys. They made more or less the same point earlier in the thread.

...the difference being that we have moved on from arguing about whether the thread title is a spoiler, to whether discussing specific details from a 4chan leak is a spoiler. Lol.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Let me just make this debate easier for everyone:
If you do not want to be spoiled for the entire game of FF15, beginning to end, including every plot twist, every character beat, everything, do not enter this thread. You can actually assume this thread contains spoilers for FF16, FF17, FF18, FF19, Kingdom Hearts 3, Last of Us 2, Bloodborne 2, Dark Souls 4, Crash Bandicoot 2017, and every other game. Also spoilers for which Marvel movies Thanos is in.

Now the rest of us do not need to tolerate this.

Leeness

Let me just make this debate easier for everyone:
If you do not want to be spoiled for the entire game of FF15, beginning to end, including every plot twist, every character beat, everything, do not enter this thread. You can actually assume this thread contains spoilers for FF16, FF17, FF18, FF19, Kingdom Hearts 3, Last of Us 2, Bloodborne 2, Dark Souls 4, Crash Bandicoot 2017, and every other game. Also spoilers for which Marvel movies Thanos is in.

Now the rest of us do not need to tolerate this.

I would like to discuss the story spoilers for FF19, this is okay, correct?

Dear god, thank you.

SilverArrow20XX

Noctis
going into a deep coma for 10 years
is definitely not a spoiler, i had to re read the 4chan post but its pretty close. thats why i said
coma
. anyway it does not spoil the game in any way at all. nothing w ill take the enjoyment, its not as if i said venom is not big boss but the medic, thats a major plot point. the 10 years time skip is not a secret and ff games has a lot of twist and turn and i doubt something like this will take your enjoyment, if u want a media blackout just dont read FF XV threads at all

Wrong. That is a spoiler. It is information from the leak that has not been revealed in any official promotions. This is not debatable. Knowing that at some point in the game, Noctis will
sleep for 10 years
, is in fact, a significant spoiler. This is not hard to comprehend.

Expecting to be shielded from info that has been in trailers and developer interviews is ridiculous. Expecting people to not blurt out info from leaks is not ridiculous. As I already said, I still expect it to happen and take the risk. That doesn't make it OK to do though.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I would like to discuss the story spoilers for FF19, this is okay, correct?

Dear god, thank you.

Only if you clearly mark them, some of us are on media blackout.

Wrong. That is a spoiler. It is information from the leak that has not been revealed in any official promotions. This is not debatable. Knowing that at some point in the game, Noctis will
sleep for 10 years
, is in fact, a significant spoiler. This is not hard to comprehend.

Expecting to be shielded from info that has been in trailers and developer interviews is ridiculous. Expecting people to not blurt out info from leaks is not ridiculous.

This conversation is over.

Toth

I don't understand these comments at all. Someone at this point of development - and there are many people who would classify, like Q&A/playtesters or PR people - knows the story outline or certain points and could then just add stuff to it for fun to make the game look bad and stir up forums. It's really not that hard for people to have known that there was a time skip in FFXV or whatever, especially because it's in the first 2 minutes of all the recent demo that also the press played weeks before the gamescom reveal of the first 3 chapters (though I think I remember at least the Game Informer guys saying they haven't yet seen the Chapter 0 when they played it a few months ago on their visit to SE Japan, but the recent previews from the press were from just a few days before gamescom, so the Chapter 0 section was in already).

Well the only thing I did not like about the 'leak' was (do not read if you have not seen the leak...seriously!)
Luna supposedly dying in the middle / toward the end. I was hoping she would be more of a character throughout the story instead of having her personal Aeris/th moment. However, with the time jump and the Too Much is Never Enough lyrics, I suspect that her death will be a motivator for Noctis to enter whatever stasis he goes into. Otherwise, we would see an 'Older' Luna model being hinted at XD

Byvar

The title change is still too obvious, I recommend the following title:

IGN - ██████ Story █████████████████████████

This way, people will not be spoiled that this thread is about FFXV, or that there are spoilers, or that the story takes place over multiple years, etc. Due to the special character the spoilers also will not show up when viewing the thread title through a twitter feed, for example.

Astral Dog

The title change is still too obvious, I recommend the following title:

IGN - ██████ Story █████████████████████████

This way, people will not be spoiled that this thread is about FFXV, or that there are spoilers, or that the story takes place over multiple years, etc. Due to the special character the spoilers also will not show up when viewing the thread title through a twitter feed, for example.

yes we want people to not know this a FFXV thread at all :p
would be a good joke

Gosh I wish Tabata would stop talking about the latter parts of the game. It feels like he's just going to slip out the final boss name in a random interview.
"Yeah, when we were developing the game it was really fun to bring Stella back for the final boss fight. We thought "Wow, fans of Versus XIII are really going to love this!" [Laugh] So yeah, please look forward to fighting Stella after Prompto dies during the final hour of the game."

Leeness

Only if you clearly mark them, some of us are on media blackout.

Okay this is fine. I mean, I don't think it's widely known yet that the game
is a throw back to FF9 and SE also managed to get the rights to have Marvel characters in it?
I can't wait to see
Zidane and Thanos
in the same game together.

What the fuck? We're getting a FF19? Goddamn open spoilers everywhere!

FF
, sorry.

Zetta

Well that is simply amazing, Sanctuary of Zi'tah is such a great theme. I see the Gustaberg theme will also be included, I started in Bastok so I have a special place in my heart for those Quadavs and this theme. On another note that is a funny as hell title change lol.

Edit: Oh hell I'm happy to see Awakening from FFXI is in this.

duckroll

"Yeah, when we were developing the game it was really fun to bring Stella back for the final boss fight. We thought "Wow, fans of Versus XIII are really going to love this!" [Laugh] So yeah, please look forward to fighting Stella after Prompto dies during the final hour of the game."

Stop spreading bullshit. We already know from leaks that Nomura is the final boss, and you have to beat Nojima before you can get to him in the final dungeon which is modeled after the old Square Enix offices where Versus was first developed in.

Byvar

More unmarked spoilers?! At least hide the fact that
Tabata laughed
!

But seriously, they must treat it like dog years from what they've shown.
So that's where they will integrate the
?

Stop spreading bullshit. We already know from leaks that Nomura is the final boss, and you have to beat Nojima before you can get to him in the final dungeon which is modeled after the old Square Enix offices where Versus was first developed in.
But where is Toriyama in a all this? An optional superboss?

Top Bottom