• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
Saint Seiya Omega 3

ssomega3.jpg

Easily the most enjoyable episode yet. The fight scene at the end was pretty good. I can't say I'm a fan of the shitty masks so
I'm glad they got rid of Yuna's

Suspense.

I'd probably compare it more to Death Note than Monster, but people compare those two, so by the transitive property, Mirai Nikki is like Monster!
Hmm, I don't know if I'd call Mirai Nikki suspenseful but then again I did read the manga beforehand so that probably had something to do with it. I'd definitely compare it to Death Note though!

hime cut > ahoge
the heart highlights in akb0048 > ahoge

Jarmel

Banned
Both lighthearted and fantastical: Lotte no Omocha!

Should I make my sister watch this?

RUNE SOLDIER LOUIE!

Let me look into that as it seems there is a correlation with Record of Lodoss which I enjoyed.

You should watch Castle in the Sky.

I have a huge anime film backlog that I'll probably chug through in the summer.

Check out Petite Princess Yucie. It's better than most people expect based on the premise and art. If you're looking for something kinda sorta like E7, I would say the closest in terms of art and tone would probably be Mars Daybreak.

I was willing to give PPY a shot when I saw this
Yucie-box.jpg

then it sorta lost me when I saw this
211250_1242477548212_500_357.jpg

I am surprised I never heard of Mars Daybreak before now. Not to mention nobody ever brings it up. Is there something wrong or not liked about the show?

iavi

FMAB1.jpg

One of the coolest things I've noticed about this series is that it seems as if conscious work has gone into aging the characters as the series has gone on, though, with that came an odd downside: Park's VA hasn't been fitting post-braid Ed, at all, and I'm only on 46. Switching back to dub Elric.

duckroll

I am surprised I never heard of Mars Daybreak before now. Not to mention nobody ever brings it up. Is there something wrong or not liked about the show?

I dunno, it's just the sort of non-ambitious series that doesn't get a lot of discussion because it's light-hearted, non-epic, and rather self contained. It's well made, with likeable characters, and the show is conclusive, it just isn't outstanding or particularly memorable. I liked it well enough.

Don't judge Yucie by the artwork and stuff outside of the show itself. Give it a shot, it's pretty enjoyable. Well directed, good animation, cute, and filled with heart.

Fantastic Children is amazing though. Check that one out first. :p

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight I-VIII

It must've been pretty frustrating to those who were watching these episodes during their original broadcast, but, in retrospect, it seems like a valid experiment.
I really enjoyed it and was super pissed that after two months of waiting everyone spoiled that it was over. More pissed that no one cared that they ruined a two month long arc.

duckroll

While we're at it, I'm also going to recommend Gad Guard. It's one of the very, very few Gonzo series I really enjoyed. Great music, great art direction, interesting setting. It's a little slow, and the main characters are all kids, but I'm serious when I say the show feels a lot like what you could get if you put Cowboy Bebop and Big O in a blender with a competent director and writer behind it. Don't expect super amazing production values, or Bebop level writing, but it's a pretty unique show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I dunno, it's just the sort of non-ambitious series that doesn't get a lot of discussion because it's light-hearted, non-epic, and rather self contained. It's well made, with likeable characters, and the show is conclusive, it just isn't outstanding or particularly memorable. I liked it well enough.

Don't judge Yucie by the artwork and stuff outside of the show itself. Give it a shot, it's pretty enjoyable. Well directed, good animation, cute, and filled with heart.

I remember you recommending Mars Daybreak a while ago, since it supposedly closer to Firefly than Cowboy Bebop.

What's with the Kanna hate guys? Ichika was far less interesting than her.
She friendzoned herself for a couple of years, so she got what she deserved!

flawfuls

It had a talking dolphin in a suit. That is pretty much all I remember about it.

Why wouldn't you spare 10 minutes to watch the anime with the most amazing sound design in history?

It had tracks from some of the most famous musicians in the world. Truly a feast for the ears.

Jintor

FMAB1.jpg

One of the coolest things I've noticed about this series is that it seems as if conscious work has gone into aging the characters as the series has gone on, though, with that came an odd downside: Park's VA hasn't been fitting post-braid Ed, at all, and I'm only on 46. Switching back to dub Elric.

Damn, that looks good.

Jarmel

Banned
FMAB1.jpg

I forgot how much I loved this show. So good.

I'll definitely try Daybreak and Fantastic Children. I'll watch a couple of episodes of Yucie later and see if it floats my boat.

What about Overman King Gainer?

wonzo

Banned
Not even DTS-HD MA could possibly do justice to Mars of Destruction's world class sound design.

What's with the Kanna hate guys? Ichika was far less interesting than her.
ichika has glasses + big tits + leather outfit so she beats the shit outta the dull friendzone girl by default

duckroll

I'll definitely try Daybreak and Fantastic Children. I'll watch a couple of episodes of Yucie later and see if it floats my boat.

What about Overman King Gainer?

Gainer is probably the most similar to E7 in terms of designs and visual look compared to any other show in existence. But the show is also nothing at all like E7. It's a crazy Tomino show, and the production values can be rather inconsistent as well, being Sunrise and all. It's more reserved than the totally crazy Tomino shows like Brain Powered and Wings of Rean, but it's still fairly nonsensical and I find the storytelling kinda unsatisfying.

There's one episode which BONES worked on though, complete with a Nakamura action piece in it as well. Probably the best thing to come out of the series. :p

jp_zer0

Banned
Marimite made me feel like a girl.
and I liked it

I watched the new Lupin, I liked the boobs. I hope they exploit Fujiko's boobs in every episode. I like them when they are bouncing, like in episode one. Episode 2 could use more fluid bouncing, even when they were present.

Jarmel

Banned
No Rie Kugimiya no sale!

Indeed. I always imagine a little loli inside Al's armor.

Gainer is probably the most similar to E7 in terms of designs and visual look compared to any other show in existence. But the show is also nothing at all like E7. It's a crazy Tomino show, and the production values can be rather inconsistent as well, being Sunrise and all. It's more reserved than the totally crazy Tomino shows like Brain Powered and Wings of Rean, but it's still fairly nonsensical and I find the storytelling kinda unsatisfying.

There's one episode which BONES worked on though, complete with a Nakamura action piece in it as well. Probably the best thing to come out of the series. :p

Thanks for all the advice. I'll probably do some serious watching next weekend.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Accel World
First two episodes were good. I'm afraid this is going to turn into another GC though... It has potential, I just hope it goes well. Also, watching cuz of Kuroyukihime.

cajunator

Banned
Here's one reason why E7AO is definitely a show which you don't see much in anime these days:

vy2Px.jpg
n6Si6.jpg

WUyip.jpg
381Dx.jpg

ErYBM.jpg
ZBkLf.jpg

cjAGx.jpg
5jC1i.jpg

1Xi0s.jpg
3a9cj.jpg

2vvuP.jpg
Svxl1.jpg

O6HQJ.jpg

Its so fucking pretty, like Rinne no Lagrange.

Nah. Everyone should just watch Simoun instead, it has also things plus war, religion, mecha and gender transformations.

I have this show. I hope it lives up to my expectations.
I also have Melody of Oblivion on standby.

i doubt Yakitate!! Ja-pan had three empty vessels with tits worshipping just how amazing Rick's BREAD is for the entire show.

Yakitate! Japan is the penultimate bread anime.

Anyone know any good light fantasy animes?

Also looking for any anime that is like E7 in either scale or tone.

Ill see if i can think of any when I get home.

What does light mean?

Scrapped Princess is a good fantasy anime. It was made when BONES was good.

Scrapped Princess is a highly enjoyable series. If you havent seen it, watch it soon!

Upotte!!, Sankarea, Amnesia...

this season has so many girls with hime cuts.

hime cut > ahoge

Incorrect, but the hime cut is pretty rad.

Strawberry Panic 1

bDXV5.gif

Wow...need to watch this too.
Oh my poor backlog.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Ouch, stomped in the show, stomped outside the show. I feel sorry for Kanna even more.

Am I the only Kanna fan here? :(

No, I was on team Kanna from day one, and I still am. :)

Strawberry Panic 1

bDXV5.gif

You ain't seen nothing yet.

You're watching it already?

Unfortunately, I've got an essay to do :( unlikely I'll have time to watch any anime today.

I approve of the picture though.

Better hurry, or else Wonzo will get all the best moments before you!

frostbyte

Yakitate! Japan is the penultimate bread anime.

Sadly, the manga turned a bit sour to the tail end. I was so disappointed during that time. I don't even know if I finished reading to the end.

Wow...need to watch this too.
Oh my poor backlog.

You don't say. I think my backlog is crying through its orifices now.

No, I was on team Kanna from day one, and I still am. :)

I am also a Kanna fan! She is the superior waifu.

YES, Kanna bros unite! Bigger ≠ Better.
:p

Better hurry, or else Wonzo will get all the best moments before you!

;_; My backlog's dying a slow, painful death.

kiryogi

Banned
Ano Natsu de Matteru 6-9

CLACK BABY CLACK

That had to be like the 2nd really touching confession I've seen in the recent years, with the 1st being Bakemono's.

Mirai Nikki Complete

Well that was one hell of a ride. But WTF @ the ending?! Had to go look up the manga to make up the failure.
But in a way, I sort of accept it as a mainly happy ending. It was great seeing the third world and how all the diary owners lived happily ever after minus Yuki/Yuno. But then you get treated to the 10000 year old depressed guy afterwards XD D: Are we going to get to see the proper ending on the blurays or something?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
*skims thread*

I've no idea what's going on anymore. Just that we're nearing an OT2 it would seem. Might I suggest:

Spring Anime 2012 |OT2| of Be patient laides! Rick has more than enough bread for everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom