• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solune

There's a disgusting amount of bread in this thread. Keep it clean people!

YxcZv.jpg

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Well, what do you expect, an actual yuri show? Those things don't happen.

Salt in the wound!

Maria-sama ga Miteru 13 Season 1 END

season1.jpg

Such a classy show. While it wasn't a full on yuri show, there was Sei (<3) and subtext here and there for those with Yuri goggles to be satisfied. I was fine with Yumi, though Sachiko kinda irked me until the later episodes when her and Yumi began to understand one another. Besides Sei, another character I really liked was Rei. Having her design to be masculine yet her hobbies and interests feminine was a really nice idea.

Episode 11 is still my favorite. Soooo good. Hair sex. Finger sex. Best sex.

I was kinda surprised Suguru didn't show up at all after that one appearance, but I'm guessing he'll be returning in the 2nd or 3rd season?

Would definitely recommend this for those who are interested. Going to continue onward and start season 2 tomorrow.

Jex

I like how super classy everything in Marimite is. Its a super idealized world where the issues confronted by the characters don't extend beyond whether or not they like each other.

Sounds like another bad show along the lines of Aria where nothing really bad can happen!

zeroshiki

re: Marimite (re: Suguru)

He shows up, like, 1 more time and that's it

Sounds like another bad show along the lines of Aria where nothing really bad can happen!

Not sure if you're being facetious about this but if not, I honestly believe there is value to telling a story that is not about the world ending or people dying or shouting or being hysterical. It is fiction after all, and it is a nice world to be able to retreat into.

Not sure if you're being facetious about this but if not, I honestly believe there is value to telling a story that is not about the world ending or people dying or shouting or being hysterical. It is fiction after all, and it is a nice world to be able to retreat into.

As long as the fictional world doesn't obnoxiously shove its idealism in my face.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Un-Go 02: THE iDOLSL@SHER

8F7XK.jpg

occupied. I SAID OCCUPIED!

This was much less confusing and nebulous than the first episode. Most importantly, the events no longer feel like they're occurring in an isolated bubble thanks to
the war
briefly alluded to in the first episode figuring prominently into the circumstances leading up to this week's murder. From what I gather,
Japan lost a war, experienced terrorism, and is now under the control of a government that heavily censors the internet
. That's at least something for the show to build off of.

I won't needlessly recount the events of the plot, so all I'll say is that the introduction of characters and the logical progression of the investigation was orderly and understandable. Detective anime often have a problem with this due to pacing and time constraint issues, however if I was able to grasp everything and all while I was 2/3rds asleep watching the episode, Un-Go is doing something right.

Inga still creeps the fuck out of me, though. Jingle jingle jingle jingle.

2qXRR.jpg

Right back atcha.

Jex

Oh, wow. The OP and ED for this are awesome, but, Haruhi...

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight I

[...]It must've been pretty frustrating to those who were watching these episodes during their original broadcast, but, in retrospect, it seems like a valid experiment. Watching it all the way I did was interesting[...]I understand why most didn't enjoy this, but I did. Haruhi's such a wonderful troll.
Looks like we've got another firehawk on our hands.

Upotte! 2 - Now that's much more like it! This episode is what I was hoping the series would be like. No really creepy stuff this episode; it's mostly about silly comedy and action this time, like it should be. There are a few vaguely suggestive jokes, but it's nothing too bad, and the main one, about M-14 learning that tactic for getting better aim, was amusing anyway.

The main plot is about the main four girls (well, just three of them because Sig's not an idiot, but she helps out anyway because they're friends) have to do a makeup test because they skipped out on doing any range shooting practice and then did badly on their exams. The main characters are mostly idiots? Yeah, it's anime. The British gun is the worst of the three (she goes out so pathetically... :lol), but at least M-16 and FAL are competent when they try. The action was done fairly well and was as interesting as this kind of thing could be, and it did explain a bit about the guns and shooting, in particular about how bullets fall more or less depending on their weight.
FAL came up with a decent tactic there, at the end... but unfortunately, her big sister's just too good. Still, good effort! Only Britain ended up in the remedial class. But yeah... with how she went out, that was unfortunately deserved.

And yeah, as I said, the comedy this time was almost all funny as well. For instance, the little skit where Sig explained why she has better range than the other three was pretty funny... :)

So yeah, this was good. Upotte redeemed for sure. I just hope it'll stay this good.

Mysterious Girlfriend X 2 - This episode was okay, but yeah, this show does have some potential issues. First, I hope that the plot doesn't bog down and stop moving, like I've heard happens in the manga; this would be better with an actual plot, I don't think just the fanservice and weirdness would keep me watching.

I mean, this episode was okay and did have some good moments, though I think the first episode might have been a bit better, but this IS a "bad concept" show full of stupidity and fanservice (multiple, long pantyshots in this ep, for example). It does also have a plot that could be interesting, and some moderately interesting characters -- the guy is bog-standard, but the girl's kind of unique -- so yeah, I do hope it goes somewhere. It would be unfortunate if it just sticks to this status quo.

Even so though, this episode was okay. We learn about a few new saliva powers... I imagine even more will be added later on, but now
by tasting some of his saliva she could see a dream of his that he didn't want to share (and learn all of its details), while he can experience the feelings -- but not the thoughts -- of whatever she was feeling when she gives him saliva, too. Huh. I assume the disparity is because she's much more skilled at understanding this power.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saint Seiya and the Prisoner of Not-Hogwarts 03
Title joke aside, I like how they didn't make Palaestra a blatant Japanese high school. Actually, the art design of the school was very cool and totally in-line with the locales seen in previous series.

lol all the lame Bronze Saints like Bear are getting the spotlight before Hyouga and the rest.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Space Bros 03:

Poor Mutta, he really is past his prime.
I really wonder how he's going to actually beat out all of these other guys and it still feel halfway realistic. A whole generation of kids are going to think that they can get admitted to JAXA just on determination and spirit :(
Who the fuck cares about JAXA when the important thing is to get into that girl's panties?
Space Bros. Ep.03

I don't think this is weird at all.
She clearly admired her father so she would want to be with someone who had some of his better qualities. It's not at all like she want's to have sex with her father.
GET YOUR HEADS OUT OF THE GUTTER! :p
Nah, she totally has an Oedipus complex. This is animé after all.
Mysterious Girlfriend X 2:
Good once again. I loved the dream sequences, just like in the first episode, and I think the relationship is managing to come across well. The show is nailing the awkwardness of teen romance while also setting up this pretty unique relationship between these characters.
It's up to the show's accolades that it's making me remember all the stupid shit I did during those teenage years while making me feel both embarrassed and nostalgic. Girls are strange creatures.
MGX 2

Who knew you could do so much with a little drool.
Wanna try?
I blame outdated school policy that continually refuses to teach safe drool exchange in favor of drool abstinence.
It is possible to get AIDS from drool -more specifically, blood droplets that may get mixed into the saliva as a result of poor dental hygiene from both parties. The possibility is minuscule at the least.

Naruto SD: Rock Lee 2 - I think this episode was even more mediocre than the first one... this episode, about Rock Lee's doomed efforts to woo Sakura, was really generic and not particularly interesting. I mean, it was amusing at times, but way too much of it was blandly uninteresting or worse, like the first half of episode 1. I'm getting very close to dropping this.

I will admit, however, that it was slightly amusing at times...
Naruto and Lee destroying eachother's letters was kind of silly, even if a lot of their antics up to that point were dumb.
But yeah, this show isn't particularly good. But, when you've got a stupid comedy series with an emphasis on the "stupid" (and "juvenile") that stars Rock Lee, who I never liked all that much anyway, that shouldn't be too surprising.

Next episode might star Tenten? Does that mean it has a chance? No, probably not. I'm not dropping it quite yet though.

It's like this post was intended for me.

So are you watching Saki Achiga now, then? :) More people should!

What

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight II

the

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight III

hell

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight IV

are

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight V

you

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight VI

doing

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight VII

to

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight VIII

Nagato?!

That was quite the experience. I can't really complain. After all, this is just a
reeeeally small fraction of what Nagato went through...

It must've been pretty frustrating to those who were watching these episodes during their original broadcast, but, in retrospect, it seems like a valid experiment. Watching it all the way I did was interesting. After two or three episodes, I became basically passive towards the explanation speeches and stuff like that, while also turning extremely sensitive to even the most irrelevant and minor details that suddenly changed. The little girls Haruhi befriends at the pool, Nagato's different masks, and Kyon's reactions to Koizumi's idea are three examples of that.

The way they portrayed Koizumi
as some kind of evil guy in Part II
for some reason I can't put my finger on was curious, too.

And then there were also some pretty cool songs used in the episodes (such as the one they play when Kyon's talking to Nagato in Part IV, or the one that plays during the activities rolls in Part V), and symbolism like this. Finally, I found it funny when it became obvious that Part VII had the smallest budget of them all.

Going into Part VIII, I kept wondering
what would change
. First, I thought,
Kyon would buy Nagato the mask she wanted.
Nope. Then, maybe
someone else would win the cicada catching contest...
But no.
The cicada tempura? Koizumi's idea?
Holy shit!
Homework! Haha. The realization sequence is amazing.

And the final scene is great.

I understand why most didn't enjoy this, but I did. Haruhi's such a wonderful troll.
I'm pretty sure they were actually forced to re-animate all eight episodes, and not repeat any animation even though it was mostly the same... pretty cruel.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Kare Kano was the last great Gainax TV series. What a way to go out.
Man, what the fuck is up with you and wrong opinions?
This show needs to run for much longer becausE Im really fucking depressed right now.
Welcome to the club.
Jexhius is pro eugenics!
Jexhius has the recessive genes, Bizarro!Jexhius has the dominant genes.
Mai Ritoru Poni: Yuujou wa Mahou 23
[...]
Fluttershy and Rarity were dull as expected and Rainbow Dash was a boss even as a filly.
[...]
Mai Ritoru Poni: Yuujou wa Mahou 24

This episode was a hoot. Well not really, it was totally average especially compared to the last episode which was fantastic.
Are you Kuwabara's alternate account?
You want lesbians, kissing, confessions, and romance? I have just the show for you!

http://i.imgur.com/LhZxi.jpg
But is it fappable?
holy fuck the innuendo in this show's fucking phenomenal
Yakitate!! Ja-pan must have been a naughty, naughty show then.

What

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight II

the

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight III

hell

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight IV

are

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight V

you

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight VI

doing

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight VII

to

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya - Endless Eight VIII

Nagato?!
I can't see marathoning this having the same effect as watching it "live". I don't think I will ever forgive KyoAni for that.
Saint Seiya Omega 3

Why the hell did Geki turn into a bishounen Charles? The guy looks so bad now.

So there are still gold saints around, eh? I wonder if it's anyone we know. I hope we get a female gold saint this series since it seems like they want to tear down the walls discrimination in this one. That's always a plus.

Mostly a boring episode otherwise. The fight at the end was alright, but needed to be longer.
This episode actually looked very cheap aside from the fight sequence at the end. Most of the scenes were composed in such a way that the animation required was very minimal.
Here's one reason why E7AO is definitely a show which you don't see much in anime these days:
Now I understand why all of you are so on-board with the first episode. It's fanservice for the motor vehicle fan!

I for one thought the script was awful and it kept distracting me from the cool visuals.
since when did liking a better movie make you a furry?!
Wait, how is one better than the other here?
The Digimen are the outlier.
No, this is seinen manga.
I don't trust anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom