• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trigun Stampede in 2023

AJUMP23

Gold Member

trigun-stampede.jpeg

Sony Pictures’ Crunchyroll anime streaming service has ordered a remake of the anime series “Trigun,” based on a popular manga series by Yasuhiro Nightow.

Trigun Stampede” will be produced in Japan by animation studio Orange and Toho. Details about the series are set to be unveiled July 2 during Anime Expo 2022 in downtown Los Angeles.

The series is based on the popular action manga series by Yasuhiro Nightow that “follows the story of Vash the Stampede, a legendary gunman and a pacifist with a bounty on his head,” according to Crunchyroll. It was produced as an anime series “Trigun” in 1998. In 2010, it was adapted as a feature film, “Trigun: Badlands Rumble,” from director Satoshi Nishimura and studio Madhouse.

Nightow and producers of the new series slated to appear on stage to discuss “Trigun Stampede.” Panelists, according to Crunchyroll, will include designer Kouji Tajima, Orange producers Kiyotaka Waki and Yoshihiro Watanabe and Toho’s Katsuhiro Takei.

Crunchyroll was acquired last year from AT&T’s Otter Media by Sony Pictures’ Funimation Group for $1.1 billion. It’s a sign of Sony Pictures’ increasing investment in the distinctive style of animation that travels widely and has strong worldwide following. Crunchyroll will carry “Trigun Stampede” on its streaming app platform that reaches more than 200 countries around the world.

Crunchyroll now operates as a joint venture of Sony Pictures Entertainment and a subsidiary of Sony Music.

In April, as Crunchyroll saw its CEO depart, Keith Le Goy, chairman of distribution and networks for Sony Pictures and the executive overseeing Funimation Group, emphasized Sony’s enthusiasm for anime as a content genre.

The anime business, Le Goy said, “is stronger than ever and remains a vital part of our overall strategy at SPE and Sony Group. It’s a fantastic time for the business and for the growing global anime fan community. We are seeing substantial subscriber growth and are looking forward to some incredible new content coming to the service in the months ahead.”

This is something I am interested in as Trigun is my favorite Anime. LOVE AND PEACE!

Mistake

Hopefully they do it justice. The old anime was nice and all, but only gave you a taste of the real deal. I’ll do another read of the manga before this comes out

Pejo

Nobody cares about Trigun. :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:
I'll be honest, I was skimming and read Trigun remake and thought it was going to be netflix and then you know how that would turn out. Since it's crunchyroll, at least there's a chance of it being good.

Is there any word if it's actual animation or Berserk/Netflix-tier CG stuff? Since Toho is involved, I have a bit of hope.

Doom85

Nobody cares about Trigun. :messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying::messenger_loudly_crying:

I enjoyed the original anime, but even if the manga is apparently better, I felt the original anime gave me everything I wanted from it. So this is more of me being happy for fans, while for me it’s more of a “oh, cool, sure I’ll give it a shot” kind of deal.

When it comes to Studio Orange, I’d personally be more excited about a season two of Land of the Lustrous. It seemed like there was enough manga volumes to cover a hypothetical second season, but especially with the mangaka returning from hiatus they should be good to go.

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
Its no Outlaw Star but i'll take it

Edit* This looks like complete shit I thought the original was overrated not even bothering with this

Last edited:

drganon

Hopefully it'll be okay. Trigun is in my top five favorite anime shows of all time. This new one has a lot to live up to.

Ulysses 31

I enjoyed the original anime, but even if the manga is apparently better, I felt the original anime gave me everything I wanted from it.
Isn't that the case for 99.9999% of anime adaptions of mangas? :lollipop_thescream:

And weren't you the least bit curious what would happen with the bad guy after Vash carried him to town?

Last edited:

Doom85

Isn't that the case for 99.9999% of anime adaptions of mangas? :lollipop_thescream:

And weren't you the least bit curious what would happen with the bad guy after Vash carried him to town?

Not really (assuming you mean my “gave me everything I wanted” part), plenty of anime either are unfinished or have anime-original endings. The latter are a mixed bag, I liked the endings to Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 (the latter had the mangaka help out with the anime’s different story so that obviously helped), but then you get pure bullshit like the 2000’s Gantz anime which cuts off right when the manga really kicks it up a notch and instead gives a bullshit ending that is mind trippy not to be clever but purely to be confusing.

Also, I do remain wary to not assume a manga will be that more satisfying in comparison. Take Soul Eater for example. I finally got to reading the manga a few years ago, and honestly I felt the manga peaked roughly 2/3 through with the attack on Medusa’s sister’s hideout. After that, the manga’s story started to lose me. Black Star and all the girls’ character arcs kind of became less meaningful IMHO with only Death the Kid and particularly Soul still holding my interest. Also hated the Noah character, all the other main villains were set up properly and fit in well, but this cocky asshole just kinda showed up and I found him too obnoxious.

(sorry if you don’t know Soul Eater, went on a little rant there)

If you meant about the manga being better: Demon Slayer. Don’t know a single person who prefers the manga. Also, while I heard it gets better by the time of the Moro arc, what I read of the Dragonball Super manga was way too fast paced and even skipped the Resurrection F arc and Broly arc whereas the anime takes it time better and the filler episodes can just be skipped. I also preferred the anime of School Rumble as the anime did just end with a “and their wacky hijinks will continue!” vibe but that’s better than the manga setting up all these interesting plot threads…and then abruptly leaving none of them resolved and undoing all of the main character Harima’s development within a single page. Blech.

In terms of Trigun, IIRC didn’t

Vash permanently disable Knives’ arms at the end? So it felt like even Knives continued to be evil that his threat level was way down.

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
Trigun is one of my top 3 animes time of all time. I'm super hyped for this, but equally worried.

No matter what, at least I'll always have the original.

ahtlas7

I cut my Anime teeth on Trigun and it’s one of my fav series and rewatch it occasionally. This is awesome news! Who will voice the English dub?

thefool

Everything about it makes me want to puke.
Just adapt Maximum. Vash is now a zoomer? Come on man
He's always been one of the coolest protagonists

AYrkjFn.png

Last edited:
Trailer shown at Anime Expo

2023 on Crunchyroll

Is this the same studio that's doing Dragon Ball Super Hero? The footage from that movie looked pretty damn good for CGI.

dragon-ball-super-superhero.gif

Trigun looks really good too. It feels like some of these 3D studios are getting close to mastering the look and feel that they're trying to go for. They just have to nail what arcsys did with Dragon Ball Fighterz.

The animation looks fantastic. The change in character designs is hit or miss - but given how absolutely amazing the last "3D CGI" anime film was from the company (Super Hero) I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

Sgt.Asher

I watched the first episode. Animation is great, Studio Orange proving again that 3d Anime is viable. Story wise, still waiting to see how it turns out. I am currently not a fan of the changes.
I don't think it will surpass the original

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
The main thing I remember from Trigun is that it taught me that tall women can be attractive in their own way.

Milly Thompson. :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

Last edited:
Reactions: Alx

Mistake

Not a fan of CGI. For some reason it makes a lot of expressions seem more eccentric, like forced acting. Also, I didn’t know they were taking Milly out. Shame

If an Anime features too much CGI, I don't consider it an Anime anymore. I absolutely can't stand CGI in Anime (most I can tolerate is maybe 5 to 10 % of the total body of work).
On the other hand, the more these anime studios keep working with CGI, the better it keeps looking every year. It makes me excited for how much they can achieve with the tech 5 years from now, because we've come a long way from the 2010's stiff-looking Netflix CGI anime.

Full CGI anime projects are becoming a mainstay at this point so they might as well try and master the craft.

-Minsc-

New trailer dropped.

It is not the Trigun I wanted. I wanted Trigun Maximum. I wanted the old 90's art style.

That said...

For being what appears to be a modern retelling, it looks cool in its own way. If I had a CR subscription I'd take it for what it is and not what it is not. That trailer makes me want to watch it.

AzullAbaddon

Neo Member
The animation for ep 1 seemed fine. I was expecting Berserk and glad that was not what I got.

Its Trigun but its not. The frame of the story appears to be there but so much has already been changed.

Alx

Yeah I liked Milly too, especially since she was the only truly cheerful character in the show/manga. In the original anime
it made her crying scene after Wolfwood's death all the more powerful.
Trigun is a mixed bag for me, I liked the beginning of the anime with its crazy gunslinger vibe and multiple boss fights, but thought the plot went too far from that in the end. Then I read the manga and really liked its rough appearance, full of raw energy. The Wolfwood scenes really shine, in there.
In the end I'm ok with each rendition of the IP having its own flavour, so why not another go.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Watched the first episode and I think they got the tone of Vash right. In the original they do not show the real story until much later. Vash having a brother and the crashed ship comes late in the series. This show puts it right in the front as the ultimate confrontation to come. I look forward to what they will show next.

kondorBonk

Visual/animation wise, I absolutely dig it. Not to the same tier as Guilty Gear but its getting close to that style and they are incredibly fluid rigs. The color palette is fantastic and the world being so overly lit as it is, gets the full use of the shadows/highlights of the 3D engine.

I liked the opening episodes/world of the original Trigun but like others, it lost me towards the end. Being a reboot, so far I like some of the changes. Especially making the side characters reporters.

ahtlas7

I jacked up my theater amp plugging it into the 220 over here so I’m waiting for it to be repaired before I watch. I’m stoked!

Top Bottom