• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

frostbyte

Well i do feel satisfied contributing to the success of Fate Zero because i definitely think its worth it, but honestly, the berserker in FZ is a pretty weak design.
Thats not to say its terrible, just that the one in FSN looks more like I would envision a berserker to look like.

Thats totally one of Sabers best features!!
Ahoge is a powerful thing!

But F/SN's Berserker is a completely different character than F/Z's Berserker.
One's a demigod and the other's a knight. In my mind, Heracles is this giant, muscular hero while the other is a formidable knight but nothing special.

Maybe it's media forming my perception of what they would be like in real life.

and my one true ahoge is still Narusegawa from Love Hina. <3

and I don't see why Deen is up for debate. They've aren't known for their animation considering their track record ranging from Higurashi to Seitakai no Ichizon. I dunno if it's because of budget or time constraints but if you can't do a high school comedy without derpy animation...

Jex

Gary Sues are not magical boyfriends. That's just plain shoujo.

I'm talking about an alien/god/magician/fairie that gets involved with some boring normal girl for whatever reason. Hijinx ensue.

I'm just going to go out on a limb here and say somewhere, in some place, this does exist. I just don't know about it yet.

Chris is the worst magical boyfriend of all time.

Branduil

and I don't see why Deen is up for debate. They've aren't known for their animation considering their track record ranging from Higurashi to Seitakai no Ichizon. I dunno if it's because of budget or time constraints but if you can't do a high school comedy without derpy animation...

Doesn't matter how much time or budget you have if you have no talent.

I had to say something about this discussion, of course...

I mostly hate this show because of Usui and what it represents. Why even bother making the heroine credible as a human being when all you're going to do is have her get supplanted all the time by a man?

God damn shoujo. :(
It is frustrating how it repeats so many of the same negative stereotypes shonen does, as far as gender relations go, yeah. :(

(As for Kaichou wa Maid-sama, I remember reading about the concept and then deciding not to watch it because of stuff like this, mostly.)

So basically, Usui never stops being there to catch Misaki when she falls? I can still probably live with this. Even if it's a disservice to the strength of Misaki's character, it's at least an accurate reflection of the current global economic climate and the fact that the underclasses can't save themselves from their own lack of upward mobility with any amount of effort.
I probably won't be watching this show through its intended lens
Hah... no, I don't think you will. :)

It feels like a chicken and an egg problem. Do girls fantasize about men saving them because that's the only option they get in the media, or does the media produces work about women being saved by men because that's what girls actually want?

It's same with otaku fantasies, but arguably more destructive.
That is a good question, really. I think it's more the former than the latter, but men are stronger on average, so seeing at least some of the second element might make at least some sense. What doesn't make sense is seeing it to the degree you do, but a lot of that is explained by the former, cultural element -- Japan is of course a highly sexist society. The West is less so, but certainly we still have our sexism...

Of course, that doesn't really answer the question of how much of that (women wanting to be protected thing) IS natural and isn't just because of millennia of ingrained sexism. I don't know if anyone knows the answer to that question, honestly; it'd be so, so hard to separate the cultural from the natural that it's borderline impossible.

There's that and whatever Misaki can do, Usui can do better, she gets 110% in an exam, he gets 120% etc etc. Despite having a strong female character there's always a stronger male lead that makes her one step less than alpha for reasons unkown to man.

I despise this kind of thing in anime/manga. It's some of the most disgusting and pointless sexism... at least with physical strength you can come up with an excuse, but there's NOTHING for grades.

Well, there would have to be some kind of reason for girls wanting men to save them, wouldn't there be? It's not like they're genetically conditioned to want this, so it has to come from some kind of external influence. If women think that being saved is their only option, it's only because they've traditionally been forced into reliance on men for everything.
Cultural conditioning is a central part of it, for sure. For instance, would you say that this "girls want men to save them" stuff is as bad in modern Western stuff as it is in Japanese? I don't think I would. The main defense for it of course would be that "but men are stronger", but as you say, that can't explain all of it; the differential is not as large as the stereotype and conditioning.

what little I remember of anthropology 101 (and of reading gaf-favorite guns germs and steel) informs me that gender roles arose out of women having to rear babies in hunter gatherer societies

the distribution of labor and asymmetries in physical size contributed to these things, which solidified during the transition to more agricultural societies

or something.
Yeah, I think that's right. In hunter-gatherer societies, gender roles are strictly segregated; women raise the children and collect/grow plants, while men go out long distances and hunt. Women who could potentially hunt aren't allowed to, either because they're too valuable to the tribe to risk (women can only give birth once every 9 months at most, after all), or because all that training to get good at hunting would be wasted once pregnancy starts or something... I don't know, but there's always a strict segregation. I do find it a bit odd, but that's how it is, and the babies and childbirth thing probably is the central element, you're right... the strength differential would be second (tools, after all, help avert at least some of that).

I don't like the sexism in it, but the results -- more varied and consistent food -- are good (and if I'm remembering right, often the women would provide more of the food than the men, in hunter-gatherer societies, but the men would often get more credit anyway because bringing down big game was more prestigious than collecting plants... darn you sexism!). But even though I can say some of the theories, I just can't quite understand why they'd do such a strict division... doesn't make sense to me.

On that note, in a modern civilization the concerns that brought hunter-gatherers to this division don't apply anymore, but as far as evolution is concerned, we're only just barely past this experiment in agriculture; humanity was hunter-gatherers for a very, very long time, but agriculture, and the civilization it leads to, has only been the system for a much shorter period. So we haven't entirely adapted genetically to the changes in the environment.

Hrm, wouldn't patriarchy imply some "genetic"/non-specific cultural conditioning? "Man strong, smash dinosaur, woman go plant seeds." Like, presumably human beings got to a point where a woman could hunt as well as a man based on technology, but by that point you already had invented concepts such as "domesticity".
I think I address most of this above, but yeah, it doesn't entirely make sense to me either. I know some of the explanations, but it doesn't entirely make sense.

I suppose childbearing also works into this early narrative.
Yes, as has been said, it's a central part of it really. It'd be very difficult to go out hunting while heavily pregnant or nursing. That doesn't make it impossible, though, as I suggest

But it's fun to talk about!
Indeed true.

Gender roles are universal (babies, etc.), but gender inequality is not, not anymore than, say, classism.

The easiest cultural / anthropological line to look for, generally, is between the nomadic hunter-gatherer lifestyle and the sedentary agricultural one we're currently living in. Helpfully, it covers both Eastern and Western cultures, and you have in-betweeners (like indigenous Americans) to examine as wel. I'd probably start there if you're interested.
On the note of nomads, nomads with horses seemed to be less sexist than other cultures... groups like the scythians (or was it sarmatians?) and mongols were much less sexist, in terms of which things women could do, than sedentary peoples, or foot-based hunter-gatherers either. Some of the only known graves of female warriors in Europe (unquestionably warriors) come from the horse nomad tribes of the northern Black Sea areas for instance. (Some of the rumors of amazons put them in that area too, but whether there's a connection or not is entirely speculative.)

In some cultures, the very act of childbearing is so significant that women are revered, giving rise to a matriarchal society.

You can thank Christianity/Catholicism for squashing those.

I think it's a dice toss, environmental factors might also play into it, honestly there's too many variables.
Matriarchal, as in women have roles in society, yeah, there were such cultures... but truly gender-equal across the board? I don't know of any. The degree of sexism in civilizations across time definitely varies widely, but there always seems to be at least some.

Yeah. Fucking babies. Ruin everything!
Yup!

humans should lay eggs imo. Hopefully incubation tanks can solve this nagging problem.

Hah, I guess it would... can we do that already, though? Tanks I mean, not eggs. :p

Well, it's like the harem lead but focused to a triangle (boy + magical girlfriend + childhood friend). They work because they hit some part of the brain that wants that to happen to the viewer - whether it's subconscious or not.

And I'm not really making a judgement about it I suppose. I mean, who doesn't want to think they're hot shit and have pheromones that can instantly grab another person's attention? It's certainly a bit more "positive" than wanting someone to help you all the time because you think you are useless.
In some ways I guess that could be true, but it is also a bad message.

Lol. Maybe this is one of those things like "teacher has sex with underage student" threads on gaffu, where the moral perception of the act is flipped based on gender.

Guy stalking girl: creepy lecher

Girl stalking guy: free girlfriend, why doesn't he tap that?

Yeah, that nasty anti-female-sexuality stereotype's still around for sure, sadly... it does kind of make sense -- it's basically about childbirth again, because women are the ones who get pregnant -- but it's a very negative, unneeded, and false stereotype -- as you suggest, those two situations should indeed be considered to be the same, not different.

I'm going to defend him here, and say that what he is describing is not what you are thinking. Studio DEEN in particular is known for poor art consistently between scenes, such that even in a single episode, the way a character looks, and the proportions of a character's full body design can change from scene to scene, or even between cuts in the same scene, because of a crappy job on the part of the animation director.

That is different from creative morphing of a character's form in fast moving action sequences to create a dynamic flow which does not look realistic. Such a debate would never come up in a Studio DEEN discussion, because to begin with the studio would be incapable of animating (or even storyboarding) a creative fast moving action sequence. :p

This is the first time ducky's ever had my back on something. <3

Yeah, I was talking about inconsistency in face and body shape and it's pretty pronounced in this show. Shirou's face changes shape constantly and it's really distracting. I'm actually not sure what Aigis was getting agitated about.

Fate/Stay Night 3:

And here's Kirei, 10 years hence. His hair has gotten more awesome since we last saw him. I'm okay with this.

It seems that F/Z has been slightly retconned from F/SN, since Saber tells us in F/Z that she can't assume her spirit form period, whereas in F/SN she and Rin state that she can't assume her spirit form because of Shirou's inadequacy as a mage. The F/Z explanation makes more sense since
unlike the other Heroic Spirits, Arturia Pendragon isn't actually dead and so can't dematerialize like the others can.

Jex

CG Berserker is awesome, and he looks awesome. Nothing any of you attempt to say will persuade me otherwise, because I love the way he looks and animates. The amazing sales of Fate/Zero will continue to justify that my opinion has the advantage here, because the studio will remain confident of their artistic integrity being supported by commercial success. It means I will continue to get what I find appealing from them, and I win.

This is how the CG future begins.

duckroll

Space Yamato Battleship 2199 - Episode 1 - The first 10 minutes

I watched this yesterday night on Bandai Channel via a JP VPN. It was pretty interesting. As expected from the trailers, the CG work is rather weak, which is unfortunate because I think the show has a lot of promise aside from that. The main problems with the CG action, which is used for all the ship battles, is the way that the ships move. It looks extremely unnatural as they turn and move too quickly with no sense of momentum at all. It ends up looking like a toy being moved around by a kid.

While the modeling is simplistic, I appreciate how they do a lot more detailing for close-up shots, so some of the designs really do stand out and look good in those scenes. The characters have good animation character design, which is a big improvement from Ozma, the other Matsumoto show this season. The space background looks really bad, especially when used as a canvas for the CG work, but surprisingly a lot of the actual art backgrounds used in the indoors and Earth scenes are really detailed and look great.

In terms of direction, pacing, and general script, I would say Izubuchi definitely pulled it off judging from the first 10 minutes. It feels like Yamato with a fresh coat of paint, and more modern production methods, for better and for worse. Scenes don't drag on, the ship explosions seem mostly animated by hand even as the exploding objects are CG, and I really like the colors used on the characters and the sets in general giving it a very modern-retro look.

I'll recommend fans to check out the series when it actually starts. The DVD/BDs from Japan have English subs too, but it's pretty pricey, especially at 2 episodes per volume for a 26 episode show.

Jex

I've never watched Howl's Moving Castle.

Why not?
I'm going to defend him here, and say that what he is describing is not what you are thinking. Studio DEEN in particular is known for poor art consistently between scenes, such that even in a single episode, the way a character looks, and the proportions of a character's full body design can change from scene to scene, or even between cuts in the same scene, because of a crappy job on the part of the animation director.

You're just being unreasonable. Sometimes it's hard to remember what size a character is supposed to be! Making an anime is hard.

duckroll

I've never seen Howl's Moving Castle either, because it was unfortunately canned before Hosoda and Yoshida could bring their vision to completion. I heard there's some copycat version out there, but why would anyone want to talk about that? :)

Risette

A Good Citizen
Dunno, I've only watched Spirited Away, Totoro and Monokehime.

I like Miyazaki's stuff but it's not something that really speaks to me or whatever.
Well those movies are pretty weak. You should watch his good stuff -- things like Cagliostro, Porco Rosso, and Castle in the Sky.

Branduil

You're just being unreasonable. Sometimes it's hard to remember what size a character is supposed to be! Making an anime is hard.

Sometimes it's hard to remember what characters looked like 5 seconds ago.

ilQyVa2JvZk5O.jpg

iboVi1O3vLYtc6.jpg

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Heartcatch Precure 4

That new general looks pretty bad ass. I think I'm rooting for the badguys now.
Fuck this op too. Everytime I watch an ep I hear this in my head for days.
I like the second half of the eyecatch better if i imagine the little mascots are being abused when sprayed rather than relishing in it.

Yes, Kumojacky and Cobraja are excellent antagonists.

Ahoge makes the world go 'round.

My nakama!

Jex

Well those movies are pretty weak. You should watch his good stuff -- things like Cagliostro, Porco Rosso, and Castle in the Sky.

I definetenly wouldn't go that far, but the set of movies you listed are certainly superior to the one's listed by Haly.

I just assumed that a requirement for being into anime was watching every single Studio Ghilbi, or at least every Miyzaki, movie ever created. Of course, this was years ago when I just started getting into anime.

You know, this show needs MORE RIDER.

You needn't worry about that, methinks.

I'm still trying to figure out where the hell Kariya went after he got wormified, he appears for 0.6 seconds when Berserker interrupts Saber and Lancer's duel, and then he has like 2 minutes at the end of Loli-Rin's Moe Moe episode. Kariya is actually one of the more interesting Masters (and Kirei and Gilgamesh agree here) and hopefully we see more of him in the second half.

cajunator

Banned
You needn't worry about that, methinks.

I'm still trying to figure out where the hell Kariya went after he got wormified, he appears for 0.6 seconds when Berserker interrupts Saber and Lancer's duel, and then he has like 2 minutes at the end of Loli-Rin's Moe Moe episode. Kariya is actually one of the more interesting Masters (and Kirei and Gilgamesh agree here) and hopefully we see more of him in the second half.

Funny you should mention Rin's episode. I just started it. Oh god, so kyuuto!!

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've never seen Howl's Moving Castle either, because it was unfortunately canned before Hosoda and Yoshida could bring their vision to completion. I heard there's some copycat version out there, but why would anyone want to talk about that? :)

But the original author liked it and she is Welsh so she knows what she is talking about.

daily lives of highschool boys - 11

I like how Tadakuni's been completely replaced by Ringo Mitsuo. So much so that there's a Indoctrination Dream theory floating around.
Oh dear. It has spread to here. It was funny at first but now the jokes is going too far even for me.

duckroll

But the original author liked it and she is Welsh so she knows what she is talking about.

The original creators of TMNT are also positive about Michael Bay's plan to make them aliens in the next movie reboot. I'm sure they know what they're taking about, because Michael Bay rocks! :)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Saint Seiya Omega airs in less than 12 hours. The spring season is finally about to truly begin!
Ozma is not that bad. :(
The original creators of TMNT are also positive about Michael Bay's plan to make them aliens in the next movie reboot. I'm sure they know what they're taking about, because Michael Bay rocks! :)
Opinions like this are the reason you are not my favourite mod.

cajunator

Banned
Michael Bay can ruin anything. He is truly talented.

Well ten episodes of Fate Zero is enough for now.
If I wake up early enough in the afternoon I might finish it up before the next season starts. If not, no big deal I'll watch it tomorrow morning.
Its a really great series though. A lot of care was put into the creation of this.
Also, FZ Rider >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> FSN Rider.

duckroll

Time for a heads up. Starting tomorrow, there's going to be a crazy first week of spring anime. Here's the lineup for the next 7 days:

April 1 - Saint Seiya Omega, Space Bros, Hiiro no Kakera

April 2 - Gon, Kimi to Boku 2, Zetman

April 3 - Queens Blade Rebellion, Rock Lee

April 4 - Kore wa Zombie desu ka? OF THE DEAD, Lupin the Third ~Fujiko 0wnz J00~, Medaka Box

April 5 - Recorder to Randoseru Season 2, Sengoku Collection, Sankarea, Natsuiro Kiseki

April 6 - Accel World

April 7 - Upotte, Fate/Zero 2nd Season, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Kuroko's Basketball

Dresden

Time for a heads up. Starting tomorrow, there's going to be a crazy first week of spring anime. Here's the lineup for the next 7 days:

April 4 - Kore wa Zombie desu ka? OF THE DEAD, Lupin the Third ~Fujiko 0wnz J00~, Medaka Box

April 5 - Recorder to Randoseru Season 2, Sengoku Collection, Sankarea, Natsuiro Kiseki

April 6 - Accel World

April 7 - Upotte, Fate/Zero 2nd Season, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Kuroko's Basketball
I must ready myself for war.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

April 6 - Accel World

Just when I finally see my MAL clearing up you come up with this. I hate you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom