• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ozma 3

Finally the anime takes off, compelling backstory and intrigue and suspense. A shame only three episodes are left.

Ozma actually seems compelling, Im guess Gido, of the present, is the same dude we saw in the story fusing to the other dude? Kind of feel bad for the non natura

cajunator

Banned
Thanks. I'll, um, watch it with my friend. :p

hmm. i personally can't watch anime like that. I either don't watch at all or do a marathon. It's hard for me to concentrate unless it's really captivating. Or friends watching it as well, which motivates me to watch it.

Normally I don't marathon anime, but if a show really hooks me, I'll marathon the shit out of it. Case-in-point I just burned through ten episodes of Fate Zero last night. I only stopped because it was 6 AM and I had to sleep.

My Fate/Zero brothers! GET HYPE!

IAWTP

Dat hair power level.

Prepare the hype chariot for our savior!

RIDERRRRRRRRRR!
I thought you guys were just fucking around about this guy, but he really is THE BOSS.

I think I've found a new mantra.

I don't think that PA Works got the message that just because your anime takes place in 1998, it doesn't mean that you should use 1998 CG.

Its my mantra :( But I'll loan it to you free of charge.

Poor Waver.

I like that second poster using age font.

Waver is the perfect foil for Rider. The two of them together is glorious perfection.

I really can't say that I have the faintest idea what's going on in this trailer. Perhaps that's for the best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULadqF0-uKw&feature=youtu.be

(Yes, I know Dresden has already posted about it. I'm still trying to deal with it's implications.)

It appears to contain diabolical chicken carcasses, self-hating bread and what appears to be the Lit'l Bits.
I don't know what the fuck it is either but I'm definitely watching it.

I seriously can't wrap my mind around this. The amount they'll have to censor will be ridiculous unless it's on at like 2 AM.

I was thinking this too. All I have heard about or seen of Darkness manga suggests that it will have the steam effect for like 90% of the thing. Well its great for Bluray sales I suppose. I still gotta pick up Motto ToloveRU since I already have the original. Aso, Mikan needs to be in it as much as possible.

Mine isn't, and never will be, but I've come to accept that.

I keep adding to mine. My consumer whoring is strong. I'll never finish everything.
But I guess that's good because there will always be something to see.

I have waited to watch Fate Zero on Blu-ray. You peasants watching it on broadcast television, that is like drinking a fine wine from a box.

I have seen the glory the way it is meant to be seen, and I highly recommend that you sell your kidney because its definitely worth the effort.

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon 2 PV1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aMUcWI5MqQ

In addition, we also got a new poster and a bunch more characters into a relationship chart (a little NSFW near the top-ish)
bEcdY.jpg
A million more characters relationship chart

Corimon

Neo Member

I started the first season of Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon and really loved the OST. Disliked all the fanservice though. Is there a lot more to it than the fanservice? I heard from a friend that it pulls a plot twist
very similar to Ga-Rei Zero, where in the first episode all the characters basically die and you're reintroduced to new ones.
I really liked that, just haven't had much motivation to continue Horizon.

Lain

Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon 2 PV1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aMUcWI5MqQ

In addition, we also got a new poster and a bunch more characters into a relationship chart (a little NSFW near the top-ish)

A million more characters relationship chart

I feel like I already saw the poster and the PV some pages ago (because I'm a 50p peasant), but the char is good to have.

Once again, I can't wait for this summer to have me some great Horizon.

But why is smugface naked?

Why wouldn't he be?!

I started the first season of Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon and really loved the OST. Disliked all the fanservice though. Is there a lot more to it than the fanservice? I heard from a friend that it pulls a plot twist
very similar to Ga-Rei Zero, where in the first episode all the characters basically die and you're reintroduced to new ones.
I really liked that, just haven't had much motivation to continue Horizon.

No twist like that.

Basically, I felt the first few episodes, like three or four are the worst due to the storytelling of it. It gets a whole lot better after those set where the plot actually gets going.

I liked it for pretty much the fun cast who looks like they came right out of a BlazBlue game and the OST is really good.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
So did Horizon ever make any sense past the first episode or was it just a nonsensical stream of cow-tittied women in garish costumes saying words at each other?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I feel like I already saw the poster and the PV some pages ago (because I'm a 50p peasant), but the char is good to have.

Once again, I can't wait for this summer to have me some great Horizon.

Was already posted :(

Also more april fools stuff by Sakura Internet but at least it looks nice.

DIlEV.jpg

Lain

So did Horizon ever make any sense past the first episode or was it just a nonsensical stream of cow-tittied women in garish costumes saying words at each other?

It was nothing too serious, but it did make sense. It just took a bit too long to set everything up, but after the 5th episode or so it was a great ride, imo.

Doraemon: Nobita's Dinosaur (2006)

That was even better than I expected. There's the imaginative adventure you'd expect from a children's film, and it's entertainingly executed, but at its core is the tale of a boy, his dinosaur, and the bond they share. From the initial hatching of Piisuke's egg, through Nobita's slow nurturing him and protecting him from the cruel world, to the final reluctant goodbye - it ends up being a powerfully moving depiction of parenthood with its joys, responsibilities, and sorrows. Director Ayumu Watanabe's attention to detailed character interactions and careful pacing reminds me of Takahata.

Aside from from some awkward perspective CG, the film looked very good. Among other moments, the fight between the brontosauruses and the T-rex had particularly impressive animation. Its ruggedness conveyed the fearsome primal power of dinosaurs that most of the film downplays to make them adorable.

Watching this makes me very hopeful for Space Brothers, which is the kind of story that would benefit from Watanabe's human-centric directing style, and Mysterious Girlfriend X, which reunites many of the key personnel from this film and has a similar visual style.

cajunator

Banned

If you like cow-tittied women, you'll LOVE Melody of Oblivion. they even moo.
I don't know WHY that scene exists yet since I haven't watched it. >_>

Was already posted :(

Also more april fools stuff by Sakura Internet but at least it looks nice.

DIlEV.jpg

I saved this image because of the little catgirl figurine on the table. I'm pathetic ;_;

madp

The Light of El Cantare
It was nothing too serious, but it did make sense. It just took a bit too long to set everything up, but after the 5th episode or so it was a great ride, imo.

That set-up sounds too long to compensate for my repulsion toward the character designs, so sadly I'm probably going to have to file this one away in the "never going to watch" drawer.

If you like cow-tittied women, you'll LOVE Melody of Oblivion. they even moo.
I don't know WHY that scene exists yet since I haven't watched it. >_>

It's okay, we've all wandered into the forbidden quarters of youtube late at night.

cajunator

Banned
That set-up sounds too long to compensate for my repulsion toward the character designs, so sadly I'm probably going to have to file this one away in the "never going to watch" drawer.

It's okay, we've all wandered into the forbidden quarters of youtube late at night.

The sadder part is
I bought the series.

Don't judge me ;_;

Makoto

Oh wow Mochizuki looks nothing like how he does in the manga.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120321043008/another/images/thumb/8/8a/Yuuya_taking_photos.jpg/830px-Yuuya_taking_photos.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://images.wikia.com/another/images/9/9a/3rd-period_128.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Gotta satisfy those androgynous quotas.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Another Spoilers

So was MC's aunt revealed to be the teacher early on or not. I didn't think it was. They also went through this whole thing to hide the voice actress of Ms. Mikami (though if you listen to them close enough I guess you could tell). I don't see why they would go through the whole fiasco of hiding her being the voice actress if they revealed it early on. Also I was wondering what they did about the voice actress thing when the reveal happened.

* Like her character Ms. Mikami, the voice actress Miyamaki Misayo is also "The Other." Cleverly, to throw off viewers, they created a fake voice actor name for Ms. Mikami and even a fake webpage. Miyamaki Misayo does not exist and if you rearrange the "ki" and "yo" in her name, it's "Yomiyama Misaki." The real voice actress is of course the same as Reiko, Naoko Sakakibara, which is revealed in the credits of Episode 12.

* In the original novel, the revelation of Ms. Mikami and Reiko's connection occurs at the climax of the story. Ms. Mikami was not killed by a student, although her body was found in the river, thought to be an accidental drowning. Mei did not witness her demise either.

Also Red Haired Girl
doesn't die in the manga. She does stab Mei in her bad eye, but later comes to regret doing that.

Jex

Hrm, they're announcing that they'd have a 2d employee or is that supposed to be a show about an employee at the ISP? lol

You forgot the most important part. 2d otaku female employee.

I'm sure the doujins are being drafted as we talk.

Mr. Fix

Another Spoilers
Also Red Haired Girl
doesn't die in the manga. She does stab Mei in her bad eye, but later comes to regret doing that.

Wish they kept that part from the manga then. Good to know that they didn't show
who killed Reiko. The anime made it seem like the MC did.

cajunator

Banned

This looks interesting, but is it really just april fools joke?

Mochizuki definitely looks better in the anime
tumblr_m02n4z3Pt21r2mfiro1_500.gif

When it panned to the left I nearly died.

I've seen Melody of Oblivion - well, the last few episodes of it - and I still have no idea why that scene exists, other than to make MoO the most oddly fitting acronym ever.

THAT SCENE

Holy shit. I didn't realize M.O.O. ~ Moo. Wow. That takes it to a new level.

High School DxD 12 - This episode was better than ep. 11, but it shares many of its issues. Some of my problems with it tie into my previous post, about gender issues, but there's some beyond that too. The episode is a solid ending in most respects. It's clear that Rias in the main girl in this franchise, no question. There is a harem too of course, but there's a clear main pair... that's good.

As for the plot, in this episode the MC defeats the jerk villain guy Rizer Phoenix and saves the girl (Rias) from her horrible fate of having to marry him. Cue big battle scene where the MC uses various new powers and items to win the fight. And no, I don't think the fact that he wins is something that needs to be spoilered. :p The action's decently done, and some of his tactics, such as
using Asia's holy water and cross in order to do the crucial damage
were clever.

On the other hand, refusing help, because he wanted to be cool and macho and win the fight all on his own, was stupid. If Rizer wasn't an even bigger jerk, I'd have been rooting for him to lose after that bout of idiocy...

So yeah, overall, it was okay for a super-stereotypical "hero saves the girl and beats the villain" episode. My problem is with such episodes. :) Other than that, there was one other thing I disliked, though, which was that at the ending
apparently Rias moves into the MC's house too. Um... why? So that the whole harem can move in for no good reason? That's stupid and unnecessary.
Looking up some spoilers from the LNs, apparently in that version
most of the harem moves into his house over time, including additional haremites such as Rizer's sister, who switches sides after the MC's victory. That "they all move into his house" thing is just dumb...
. Oh well. Overall, I'd probably watch a second season if it was made. This is a bad show of course, but amusing enough to watch.

Is this... the announcement of a new Angel Beats! production? I wonder what specifically it'll be.

https://twitter.com/#!/gs_magazine/status/185382980640964608
That would be great, here's hoping...

And it's worse when they're tsundere, because then the women give off the illusion of having a backbone while wallowing in self-pity.
If that's why they're tsundere that can be true, but they aren't always tsundere for the same reasons... it's not always because of self pity. ...What? I kind of like tsunderes, I thought Naru was one of the best characters in Love Hina for instance... same for Rin in the F/SN universe. Etc. (The other characters are usually worse!)

I certainly would agree that female anime characters overall are quite depressingly sexist in concept though, and the shoujo ones aren't any better than the shonen ones, a lot of the time; they just use different themes sometimes. Different themes with the same sexist result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom