• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I haven't watched any anime in like two years. Been busy with alot of stuff.

Can anyone tell me the best anime from last season? (Winter)

Any epics I've missed on the scale of Gurren Laggan?

Thanks in advance!

Have you seen Tiger & Bunny? Not on the same scale TTGL, but still awesome.

Symphogear is also pretty good. Most hot-blooded magical girl series ever.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
I didn't really have a major problem with
Fishman Island
even if it was a huge step down from what preceded it. I would also say the scenes post-fights more than made up for everything else.

But yeah,
Punk Hazard
is looking to be a rather significant one.

The
foreshadowing of an eventual Big Mom confrontation
at the end of
Fishman Island
gave me that "now THIS is One Piece!" feeling, but it really didn't make up for how underwhelming everything else was, unfortunately. As I've said with Skypiea before, below-average for OP is still pretty great, though.

PH
has me on the edge of my seat; I can't wait to see it animated.

Branduil

Flower Declaration of Your Heart 5

iG1AScer48j5X.jpg

Other than the
BRS mindcrush
at the end this episode was a complete and utter bore. What happened to the mechas?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

Other than the
BRS mindcrush
at the end this episode was a complete and utter bore. What happened to the mechas?

The mechas spend way too much time in their garages in Rinne no Lagrange.

Cwarrior

One Piece - Davy Back Fight Arc (207-219)

I enjoyed that arc, least fav post arlong park but still had a good time, quite liked foxy aka wario but he went a bit too far with his trolling....noro noro beeeeam.

Now I fear for your life because the next 300 episode will obliterate your body on a molecular level :(

Saying that’s where one piece cements itself as the best anime there is and raise the bar to stupid heights is an understatement.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I enjoyed that arc, least fav post arlong park but still had a good time, quite liked foxy aka wario but he went a bit too far with his trolling....noro noro beeeeam.

Now I fear for your life because the next 300 episode will obliterate your body on a molecular level :(

Saying that’s where one piece cements itself as the best anime there is and raise the bar to stupid heights is an understatement.

I'm really looking forward to it, haha.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Have you seen Tiger & Bunny? Not on the same scale TTGL, but still awesome.

I know some people liked T&B and I'm not knocking that, but FWIW I was very disappointed with the show. I'm a fan of Gurren Lagann but I wouldn't recommend T&B to anyone looking for a good action show. A couple set-pieces are nice, but the plot is atrocious, and not in the good way. It seemed really lack-luster, and it didn't generate any excite for me whatsoever, which is like... the total opposite of the Gurren-Lagann effect. Anyways, just throwing my 2 cents in.

If someone hadn't seen any anime in the past two years, I might recommend Madoka. Yes..... I know there are better choices, and I'm not saying it was the best there was in the last two years... but you know what?? It was a fun deconstruction, it was unpredictable in some ways, it was interesting, and the music was great. It's also only 12 episodes, so it isn't really a waste of time either. When it aired it was also kind of an event (I know some of this had to do with the timing of the last two episodes given the situation in Japan and the delays), but the fact was, people were fucking hyped for that shit. And being super hyped for that next episode is something that makes anime special to me.

Bullza2o

Phew, I went on an anime-finishing marathon yesterday and today and finished up Penguindrum, Daily Lives, and watched the final 8 episodes of Ano Natsu. It was quite fun, but now I'm tired.

Thoraxes

Other than the
BRS mindcrush

The middle is slower then the awesome fighting and robots. I was fine with it, but I know plenty that weren't.

Which reminds me, Does anyone know where I can buy Gosick with Eng subs?

I want it T_T
I have no idea if the Japanese releases have English subtitles, but that is the only release that I know of since Bandai Entertainment is not releasing it. Then again Madman Entertainment has it licensed, but I have not heard of a release date to physical media.

BluWacky

Not a
mahou shoujo
?

There goes most of my interest unless it becomes more than an inferior Hanasaku Iroha.

SPOILERS FOR NATSUIRO KISEKI which may not be in the spirit of pithy oneliners but should hopefully give some indication of what actually happens...

The girls do magic, but aren't "magical girls". It's mostly slice of life stuff about the four girls who used to be friends until one of them transferred schools and became a bit of a bitch, but they used to get together and make wishes around the stone you've seen in the trailers. At the end of the first episode the pink-haired one wishes they could fly - and they do.

Atmospherically it's like, say, Uta~Kata or Umi Monogatari, but without any of the background malovelence and more of the general summer-slice-of-life stuff.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
SPOILERS FOR NATSUIRO KISEKI which may not be in the spirit of pithy oneliners but should hopefully give some indication of what actually happens...

The girls do magic, but aren't "magical girls". It's mostly slice of life stuff about the four girls who used to be friends until one of them transferred schools and became a bit of a bitch, but they used to get together and make wishes around the stone you've seen in the trailers. At the end of the first episode the pink-haired one wishes they could fly - and they do.

Atmospherically it's like, say, Uta~Kata or Umi Monogatari, but without any of the background malovelence and more of the general summer-slice-of-life stuff.

So it's basically a rip-off of
Kamichu!

wonzo

Banned
Don't tell me Crunchyroll has delayed dat sweet sweet Umakoshi :(

Time for a heads up. Starting tomorrow, there's going to be a crazy first week of spring anime. Here's the lineup for the next 7 days:

April 1 - Saint Seiya Omega, Space Bros, Hiiro no Kakera

April 2 - Gon, Kimi to Boku 2, Zetman

April 3 - Queens Blade Rebellion, Rock Lee

April 4 - Kore wa Zombie desu ka? OF THE DEAD, Lupin the Third ~Fujiko 0wnz J00~, Medaka Box

April 5 - Recorder to Randoseru Season 2 (ugh), Sengoku Collection, Sankarea (DEEN lol), Natsuiro Kiseki

April 6 - Accel World

April 7 - Upotte, Fate/Zero 2nd Season, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Kuroko's Basketball
So far so good! Might check out Natsuiro and Zetman

that's probably one of the worst promo posters i've ever seen.

So I haven't watched any anime in like two years. Been busy with alot of stuff.

Can anyone tell me the best anime from last season? (Winter)

Any epics I've missed on the scale of Gurren Laggan?

Thanks in advance!
Ano Natsu, Daily Lives of High School Boys and Nisemono Natsume's Book of Friends(only if you've seen the first three series)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Saint Seiya Omega 1 - Loving dat Umakoshi character designs. And there was a good sense of style throughout. Can't wait for next week.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I have no idea if the Japanese releases have English subtitles, but that is the only release that I know of since Bandai Entertainment is not releasing it. Then again Madman Entertainment has it licensed, but I have not heard of a release date to physical media.

Importing the DVDs/Blu-rays from Japan and using fansubs is probably your only option.

awwww damn it T_T

----
Just googled it and see one from playtech-asia..Region free. Eng subs

Doubt it's legit *sigh*

Branduil

Birdy the Mighty Decode 13

I was expecting something like that ending as soon as I heard that
they could capture the Ryunka in another body.
You have to have an excuse for second season.

It was an entertaining show, and Akane was a smart choice for the director. I wouldn't call it one of the best ever but it was good for what it was.

frostbyte

Doraemon: Nobita's Dinosaur (2006)

That was even better than I expected. There's the imaginative adventure you'd expect from a children's film, and it's entertainingly executed, but at its core is the tale of a boy, his dinosaur, and the bond they share. From the initial hatching of Piisuke's egg, through Nobita's slow nurturing him and protecting him from the cruel world, to the final reluctant goodbye - it ends up being a powerfully moving depiction of parenthood with its joys, responsibilities, and sorrows. Director Ayumu Watanabe's attention to detailed character interactions and careful pacing reminds me of Takahata.

Aside from from some awkward perspective CG, the film looked very good. Among other moments, the fight between the brontosauruses and the T-rex had particularly impressive animation. Its ruggedness conveyed the fearsome primal power of dinosaurs that most of the film downplays to make them adorable.

Watching this makes me very hopeful for Space Brothers, which is the kind of story that would benefit from Watanabe's human-centric directing style, and Mysterious Girlfriend X, which reunites many of the key personnel from this film and has a similar visual style.

Hmm. Wasn't this available back in the 90s? Is this some sort of remake?

If true, Doraemon, here I come! Glad to see this movie is great though. If they messed this up, this world has no justice ;_;

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Chihayafuru 21:

Now we know that Chihaya is at least as good as Shinobu...........
when Shinobu was 12

I really hope that this endless string of karuta tournaments is leading up to something worthwhile. With only four episodes left, I'm getting nervous that the show can wrap itself up in a satisfactory manner.

Chihayafuru 22:

MOAR KARUTA.

Chihaya
gets her ass kicked by a former Queen who wasn't even trying half the match
. I'm guessing that a
victorious Queen rematch finale
is out.

I am seriously concerned for the show's finale now. Three episodes isn't enough time to resolve ANYTHING at this point, and the past five episodes of karuta could have easily been summed up in some kind of training montage. Chihaya may be becoming "stronger", but there's been no real plot progression at all.

Chihayafuru 23:

Okay, so that was a more character-centric episode than we've been seeing. Chihaya
has to deal with the agony of defeat, Arata begins to feel the emptiness of the Nagumo society, everyone goes to boring parties that reaffirm their friendship with each other, and Taichi desperately tries to keep himself from getting friendzoned
. This was the balance of karuta and personal development that the show has been lacking, but it's probably too late to save the show from an unsatisfying finale.

Hoping for
Ooe x Komano end
if I can't get anything else that I want.

Chihayafuru 24:

So the climax of the show is
Chihaya watching OTHER people play in the Queen match
? ololol, what a disaster. Talk about unfulfilling. I could understand the
Shinobu backstory
if there were 25 more episodes, but at this point it feels like the show has absolutely nothing left it can do with the actual main characters that can be resolved in one more episode. Sad, and the sudden focus on
the karuta meijin
is a totally unnecessary troll that twists the knife of disappointment that the story is just going to end when there are such greater heights for the characters to reach.

Much has already been said about
the change in Shinobu's appearance
, but I still think that
she's pretty cute.
You have to admire her dedication to
Snowmaru merchandise

One episode left, and I have no idea what I even want out of the ending at this point, since it's pretty obvious what's not going to happen.

Chihayafuru 25 (
NON
END):

We'll defeat you someday, Naraku..err...I mean, Shinobu!

Welp, pretty much all of my fears were realized. Lots of new plot threads to entice manga sales, complete non-resolution of all storylines, all wrapped up in an "everyone continues to pursue their goals" ending that tries to bury the utter shamefulness of the whole thing under sunny optimism. Guess what? IT DIDN'T WORK.

I understand everyone's dissatisfaction with the show now. The endless stream of karuta matches that comprised the second half of the series brought character and relationship development to an absolute standstill in favor of an endless deluge of technical karuta mumbo-jumbo, and by the time that the series snapped out of its obsessive karuta streak, it was too late to do anything with the characters or their aspirations so we're treated to a limp, depressing insult of an ending that has everyone crowded around a television fawning over the greatness that they'll never achieve.

I absolutely adored the series up to
Omi Jingu
, but everything after that is a quiet trainwreck of failure that served only to sour the experience and troll viewers that had been emotionally invested in Chihaya's goals and the Chihaya-Arata-Taichi love triangle so skillfully established in the early episodes. Between the BD sales, the death of Madhouse, and the monumental mishandling of the final ten episodes, Chihayafuru can only be described as one of anime's greatest tragedies. Apollon had better be fucking life-changing now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom