• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
One Piece: Episode of Luffy Hand Island Adventure
tumblr_mhbgz12qze1rgotfdo1_500.gif
tumblr_mijaq9wpYT1r73plvo1_500.gif

It feels as if these specials always follow the same pattern. That is, the first ten or so minutes are interesting, then the next hour or so is just really dull since they spend too much time on the background, then the final 30 minutes have nearly non stop cool action scenes and some plot. That is to say Hand Island Adventure followed the same pattern.

Focusing on Luffy's backstory with the thoughts of Shanks and how he got the hat for close to an entire duration of an episode felt really excessive. Maybe I thought it was boring for it was my fourth time encountering the content but they could have spiced it up beyond just making it with the modern day animation style and such. And for Shanks part, they made it clear that haki was involved, but if he could have done that then why his arm.

For the plot of Hand Island, I guess it was fun overall and a nice change of pace for some type of filler such material. Zoro's skill were epic,
Captain
Coby was awesome in action living up to my expectations of him in this new world era, and Sanji's skill as well. Technology created by the Artisans made for really good fight moments and challenges.

Ah and best moment
cruel that he is only wax :(

6 / 10 I guess. Some of the action did feel weak and kind of murky to look at in terms of usual quality or just didnt feel all that exciting but was still fun. Alright overall but could have been just one hour instead of one hour and forty two minutes :/

Metrotab

Banned
Photokano - 1

- This show knows why I'm watching it: the cute girls, and some harem/romance/comedy hijinks. Seems to be delivering on both counts.

- The set up is creepier than usual for this kind of show. The Photography Club reminded me of that creepshot thread a dozen people got banned in. Should have joined the Photo Club, MC!

- The soundtrack is unexpectantly impressive.

- Since this show's only one cour I'm expecting a focus episode for each girl, some onsen/beach/festival stuff and some drama involving the club. I do wonder if one of these girls will win, since this is a VN adaptation.

- I didn't know Kanon was a name for a girl. Full name being Maeda Kanon almost makes it sound like a Key reference.

- This show already has a rating lower than 7 on MAL. Tough crowd, damn.

Shingeki no Kyojin 1:
I'm happy that the first episode was very good. It stuck very close to the manga, and it didn't go too over the top like I feared it might. So far, they seem to be playing the series straight and are doing a good job. There was a bit of censorship, but nothing that really detracted from the experience.

Hopefully the show can continue at this quality level. There's some great stuff from the manga that I'll be looking forward to seeing animated.

BluWacky

*starts watching Gargantia episode 1*

*sees opening credit: "Original Work: OKEANOS"*

We made it! With or without kayos, we made it!

Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet 1
tumblr_mkwbdd1Hvc1qbxqfpo1_500.png

First eleven minutes or so was so good. If only the whole anime could take place in space with all of Dimenstrium, Blossom Flowers, and cannons. It looked really good and quite explosive and intense, especially in fast paced motion. Second half was alright, Ledo is a great lead, need to see more of the cast there and what type of potential that opens for the plot
Stuck on Earth alone must be a bit scary though I wanted to know more of his backstory at least and how their society worked, since they were in the military just to become some sorts of citizens or whatever, and where they were/who they were fighting. Will Earth even be a part of that plot?

Now just need to see Valvrave ep 1.

Wonder why they dont have it 1080p for crunchyroll.

tumblr_mgi74xYaUF1r8b5tyo1_500.gif

Cuticle Detective Inaba Episode 2

Opening: Song was okay but will probably skip it . Not a fan of them showing that white haired person since I'm presuming its his brother.

1st half was kinda weird since the Jumanji setup came out of nowhere. Ogi continues to be such a badass when he took down all the commanders in a blink of an eye. Ogata is a welcome addition as well, especially his interaction with Inaba.

2nd half was the best. Ogi's daughter Azusa is an adorable badass and his wife Wakaba is really clueless though her "taming" Valentino was pretty funny. Felt bad about Lorenzo during the episode, Don should consider himself lucky to have him by his side.

Steroyd

Ginga e Kickoff - END

Well that was hard to watch, even if I take out the notion that their opponents are the best in the world, this is largely the same team that got tonked one sided 10-0 by the adult women's professional team.

Last two episodes aside, this was a fun show and the actual conclusion to the series was very well done.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ginga e Kickoff - END

Well that was hard to watch, even if I take out the notion that their opponents are the best in the world, this is largely the same team that got tonked one sided 10-0 by the adult women's professional team.
You are taking this way too seriously. The last two episodes are basically fantasy driven bullshit, like Marvel vs Capcom or something. lol

Steroyd

You are taking this way too seriously. The last two episodes are basically fantasy driven bullshit, like Marvel vs Capcom or something. lol

I've watched Prince of Tennis, and I've watched Kuroko's Basketball. but for some reason my brain couldn't disengage especially when Messi joined on the same team as Ronaldo at that point my head exploded.

37 episodes man, 37 episodes without the Japaneese taint on a sport. T_T

Westlo

Hunter x hunter 74

hum so they are already done with GI ? kinda funny that this version of GI took as many episode as the first one yet this version focused on things that matter this time and managed to be great.

Wtf did the original version focus on? Anyway now that Greed island is done, time to watch the last 4 eps of it in a row.

Awwww yeaahhh

Taruranto

Or I could just avoid 4chan like I've been doing for sometime now. I'm assuming you lot are not going to be arseholes and spoil it.

Don't worry about it. Though you really should be careful everywhere, mostly because the setting often raises a lot of question that can't be answered without spoilers.

I even re-did the characters sheet from the manga without the spoilers!

fertygo

I've watched Prince of Tennis, and I've watched Kuroko's Basketball. but for some reason my brain couldn't disengage especially when Messi joined on the same team as Ronaldo at that point my head exploded.

This shit more ridiculous than anything you mention.

BluWacky

Gargantia 1

I really enjoyed this. It was a little bit "pew pew pew laser beams" in the space battle at the start for me until the evil flower monsters started winning (I can't remember their names already!), but it was a very effective set up and led nicely into the second half. It struck totally the right tone for me - it reminded me, for some reason, of Scrapped Princess. Must have been something to do with the bright colours.

So, time for some pointless speculation!

Red has never known anything other than war. My speculation is he has never known anything except that one battle. I suspect the "human" army are barely even human (perhaps mass-produced or cloned?), and are just artifically grown, educated while in cryosleep, and then sent out en masse on suicidal missions.

Whether or not the flower aliens are actually "the enemy" I don't know. It's the humans who open a wormhole to try and destroy them, after all.

In a way, I don't really want the alien conflict to have anything to do with the rest of the series. Can't they just go on awesome adventures excavating stuff from the bottom of the sea and discovering ancient civilisations or something? That would be ace.

Wiktor

Damn it...watched first ep of Attack of Titans and then decided "I wonder what's next, I guess I will take a short glace at the manga"..that's been 2 hours ago and I'm still reading :D

One Piece: Episode of Luffy Hand Island Adventure
It feels as if these specials always follow the same pattern.

They are ..Since they started doing special , they tested like 2 way of telling stories and sticked to the same pattern that worked .. the advantage is that there is some action near the end ..at the expense of whatever setting they were using in the beginning

At least those specials are above average in quality !

I don't get the Frodo jokes
i consider myself lucky to have been there when this joke started otherwise i wouldn't understand it either.

Damn it...watched first ep of Attack of Titans and then decided "I wonder what's next, I guess I will take a short glace at the manga"..that's been 2 hours ago and I'm still reading :D
I did the same thing yesterday night ..went from Vol 1 to vol 7

So addicting.

Just finished Shonan Junai Gumi, the prequel to GTO. A 5 episodes long OVA showing Eikichi and Ryuugi in their early days, they have formed Onibaku and are feared by everyone in Shonan, all they do is getting into fights and trying to lose their virginity. The show started out interesting, the fights were awesome, Onizuka and Ryuugi were ruthless as a duo. The animation was poor and it also missed GTOs humor, neither was Onizuka voiced by the same guy. I kinda lost interest towards the end, partly because I watched it in 1 sitting and partly because the subtitles of the last episode were done by a 5 year old and ruined the experience.

So a 6/10

Kurita

Just finished Shonan Junai Gumi, the prequel to GTO. A 5 episodes long OVA showing Eikichi and Ryuugi in their early days, they have formed Onibaku and are feared by everyone in Shonan, all they do is getting into fights and trying to lose their virginity. The show started out interesting, the fights were awesome, Onizuka and Ryuugi were ruthless as a duo. The animation was poor and it also missed GTOs humor, neither was Onizuka voiced by the same guy. I kinda lost interest towards the end, partly because I watched it in 1 sitting and partly because the subtitles of the last episode were done by a 5 year old and ruined the experience.

So a 6/10

They managed to fit 30 volumes in 5 OVAs?

BluWacky

I don't get the Frodo jokes

It's a joke from 4chan. There's a meme there where they post images of Frodo pointing out plot holes in things - for instance, for Attack on Titan, it's "why don't they just live underground?" or "why don't they just build bigger walls?". The meme has now mutated such that virtually every thread to do with the manga/anime has to have Frodo images on it.

If in doubt, if Keiichi posts a picture, it's from 4chan :p

They are ..Since they started doing special , they tested like 2 way of telling stories and sticked to the same pattern that worked .. the advantage is that there is some action near the end ..at the expense of whatever setting they were using in the beginning

At least those specials are above average in quality !.

I wish it had been as good as Episode of Nami :( it is Luffy after all.

Oh well, now to move on to the Toriko x Dragonball x One Piece one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom