• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
The debacle of boobs is tearing us apart!

iQuQjl0RWMKHq.gif

what show is this?

Ok so I swear I do this every time and never follow up on the suggestions... but I'm gonna ask again so here goes:

I haven't watched an anime all the way through since Kids on the Slope and Tsuritama, I got decent mileage out of those two shows, they weren't the best thing ever but I enjoyed them to some extent.

I'm aware of From the New World, watched a couple of episodes but haven't really been grabbed yet.

Aside from that, what are the standout shows since whenever Tsuritama/Kids on the Slope came out? Are there any that are 'must-see'?

Fate Zero and Steins;Gate are recent treasures.

God, I forgot how much I hate Kirino. Duch a deplorable character. I hope she gets hit my a train at the end of the story

Oreimo S2 1

Oh my god Kirino is the worst.

Not even Kuroneko blushing sakuga can redeem this filth.

I so agree with both of you.

Loli Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team 12
Kinda meh. I guess it's meant to give some closure and it does that certainly but they could have done this just as well by extending the ending of the previous episode. Not completely bad though.
Regardless, this doesn't hurt its status as the best Gundam I've seen so far.

Don't you think the latter half of the show was disappoint too... If you want more 08th MS Team, there's also Miller's Report.

Ok so I swear I do this every time and never follow up on the suggestions... but I'm gonna ask again so here goes:

I haven't watched an anime all the way through since Kids on the Slope and Tsuritama, I got decent mileage out of those two shows, they weren't the best thing ever but I enjoyed them to some extent.

I'm aware of From the New World, watched a couple of episodes but haven't really been grabbed yet.

Aside from that, what are the standout shows since whenever Tsuritama/Kids on the Slope came out? Are there any that are 'must-see'?

Little Busters!
K
Blast of Tempest
Hakkenden Eight Dogs of the East
Accel World

Jintor

No, Kiki's.

I was thinking about how languid and relaxing the movie can feel even though, when I step back and look at it, the pacing is actually breakneck. Whereas in most film-length things I've watched for a while, I always feel like I'm being bombarded with scene, action, dialogue, whatever, Kiki's was just... very slow, very deliberate in movement. There was room to breath, to take it all in. Even LWA didn't do that (of course, LWA was like a quarter or a third of Kiki's runtime, so there's a lot less room to move)

cajunator

Banned
No, Kiki's.

I was thinking about how languid and relaxing the movie can feel even though, when I step back and look at it, the pacing is actually breakneck. Whereas in most film-length things I've watched for a while, I always feel like I'm being bombarded with scene, action, dialogue, whatever, Kiki's was just... very slow, very deliberate in movement. There was room to breath, to take it all in. Even LWA didn't do that (of course, LWA was like a quarter or a third of Kiki's runtime, so there's a lot less room to move)

ohhh.
Yes. Yes it does look great on bluray.
Oreimo isnt worth what they are asking for bluray. I am a huge aniplex whore usually, but fuck them sideways this time.

sonicmj1

Don't you think the latter half of the show was disappoint too... If you want more 08th MS Team, there's also Miller's Report.

I think the first half of the show was stronger, but the second half was hardly disappointing for me. Shiro's transition to super-idealistic commander didn't detract from the great action and supporting cast, and the story still went in an interesting direction. The second half also has the Gouf Custom fight, which might be the greatest anime mech fight ever. I even liked the romance.

I can see why some people would think less of the second half, but only episode 12 let me down.

Theonik

It looks god damn amazing on blu-ray, too!
It sure does!

No, Kiki's.

Little Witch Academia was going with a completely different focus and sort of focused in pumping as much content as possible in its short runtime, Kiki of course didn't needt to do that or didn't even want to. I feel both are very well paced for their content though.

Nope! well, it does seem to change focus somewhat but it didn't bother me that much and even things that did briefly bother me were swept away by Gouf Custom Vs 08th MS.
As for Miller's report I heard it wasn't worth it so I'm not sure I'll bother. Will watch A Battle with the Third Dimension though.
Edit: What sonicmj1 said.

Metrotab

Banned
Legend of the Galactic Heroes - 45: The Cold Wave Arrives

~ I don't know if I can live with a situation where I have no enemy to fight. ~

Goddamn, Alliance officers dropping left and right.
And finally, FINALLY, the Alliance top brass decides to give Yang Wenli a full range of options. If they had done so much earlier, they wouldn't be in this mess. I'm not seeing any chance of victory though, Reinhard's plan seems to have covered all bases. Those Imperial soldiers hungry for military glory concern me. Hopefully they don't fuck anything up.
And the Pretender Nobles are so useless. What do they even hope to achieve? The only guy on their council who is not useless is Merkatz. The rest are fools stuck to their flashy titles and prestigious names. They don't have a military, they don't have any political clout, they don't even have connections to the Terra Cult like Phezzan does.

Theonik

Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team - A Battle with the Third Dimension
This was a lot better than I expected it to be. Somewhat pretty, though it does look quite different to the original series though it's to be expected I guess. Worth looking at if you have ~10 minutes of spare time.

Dennis

Banned
Attack on Titan - 1

That was excellent. Time flew by, the art was excellent and now I can't wait for the next episode.

Shiro's transition to super-idealistic commander didn't detract from the great action and supporting cast, and the story still went in an interesting direction. .

Thats exactly why I didn't like the second half. :p The only thing I liekd was the Gouf fight but thats about it. Sometimes its better not to have romance mixed in...

sonicmj1

Thats exactly why I didn't like the second half. :p The only thing I liekd was the Gouf fight but thats about it. Sometimes its better not to have romance mixed in...

If using a beam saber to turn a snow-covered mountaintop into a hot spring is wrong, I don't want to be right.

I didn't expect the anime to be that over-the-top.

I should have expected it from Araki. I can't help but feel he's an absolutely terrible fit for this series. I'm not going to be able to take any of this seriously at all, and it seems like the source material desperately wants me to.

Theonik

If using a beam saber to turn a snow-covered mountaintop into a hot spring is wrong, I don't want to be right.
*high five*
On that note
doing that again on EP12 and having it implied that it was him that taught them this.
made me want to punch whoever wrote that in the face.

Hunter x Hunter 74
tumblr_mkvz2dE2MJ1s71b6do1_500.gif

That was rather interesting and intense and if Killua can keep them for now on.
Feels like its becoming a trend in which characters lose a limb or so at the highest point of a battle and then thankfully get it back by the end. Was afraid it would have been permanent for Gon to have his arm gone, but thankgood ness Archangel.

Excellent fight and loved the whole outcome, new appreciation for everyone involved and what not. The new characters in the preview look great.

So hard to rank the arcs, their all so good, maybe Heavens Arena = Greed Island slightly > whole Auction arc

-Minsc-

I just skimmed through the past five days worth of posts to get caught up. It was worth it for some of the gifs and screencaps.

Quasar

Such a shame the butchered the campione anime...since i like the books
( they managed to rush events and still add filler in a 13 ep run )..Can't believe it

I liked it myself. It drove me to read the books too, as a lot of anime based on books do as they stop prematurely.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AnoHana:

Score: 8.731

Aku no Hana:

Score: 5.231

---

MAL is wrong because AnoHana is bad

thus

Aku no Hana

is good

Perfect logic.

I don't know how to feel about this.

I generally agree with the overall scores of MAL. I don't think I've ever found myself to be this far at odds with something. Am I a weirdo for liking Aku no Hana? I thought it was great. I'm questioning everything about myself right now.

:(

Jintor

Don't apologise for liking or not liking something. It's more important to have the confidence to understand why you have the opinion that you do.

I liked it myself. It drove me to read the books too, as a lot of anime based on books do as they stop prematurely.

Yep the book are awesome ..but seriously 2 eps for a whole book is way too much.It's like they didn't even try to animate the fights

The beginning was reworked , the ending was reworked all the introduction arcs had numerous changes to the point that some ( ena,yuri ) are just different.
The anime was barely ok and they cut plenty of cool things . I counted at least 3 nice fights in the vogan arc that they totally ignored and there was no point in this filler in the end considering athena fate later ( made almost no sense ).

The number of things they just ignored in the campione anime is way too high to the point that i don't want a S2 , unless it's made by another studio/team

Grzi

Death Billiards

I'm in the "not everything about the ending needs to be explicitly explained" camp. I enjoyed it, it was very good. The backgrounds were really pretty and I loved the character designs.

mAcOdIn

Ok, so, uh, some impressions:

Devil Survivor 2 The Animation - Blegh. First off, it's unappealing to look at art wise and I absolutely hate some of the character designs. Just at first glance it's bland and uninspired, but I guess that's not true it was just inspired by something that had bland designs. Yet again the gaminess of the plot shines through with the MC which I hate here just as I did in the Persona anime. So anyways, despite owning but not ever actually having played Devil Survivor 2 what do I think about the setup? -yawn- As expected it's setup pretty similar to the first, which already had a lame set-up so I'm not liking the plot. The first big bad they had to fight was also the stupidest looking shit I have ever seen. Ever. What the fuck was it, a spinning top of doom? Will probably watch one more episode to see if military girl turns out cool but most likely I will drop this piece of shit.

Ginga Kikoutai Majestic Prince - Well this also started off pretty meh with a cast of bland characters and bland mecha design, which I guess was all a ruse as later there's new mecha but they're also relatively ugly. Hate the characters, hate the aliens, not at all interested in the back plot which surely will have to do with something another head visor dick knowing something special about this retarded team in advance and knowing these sods are the best of the best they just have to learn it themselves or some crap. Probably a drop. No, it is dropped.

Crime Edge - Why does all the art suck these days? This show was also ugly to look at and I don't see what everyone else was seeing about the hair, it didn't look good to me, it looked like somebody fished an old boot up from the ocean floor covered in seaweed. Anyways, while I can be a fan of weird mixmashes of genres I don't think this one will do it for me. I also really hated how the main character,
despite always having his own pair of special scissors and having a weird hair fetish didn't use his pair of scissors from the start! It seems like the only thing his character would have done in that situation making everything that followed such an idiotic setup that didn't even need to happen, it was just buying time to for a new issue, episode, volume, whatever because now, next episode will start exactly where this one should have started!
Dropped.

Hataraku Maou-sama! - Now this, while the art at first isn't the greatest it does have an older Record of Lodoss War feel to it before the location switch which while not new ends up looking cleaner and better than the rest of the shit I watched so far, so it's not painful to look at. Anyways, this will be the show that becomes what Maoyuu Maou Yuusha should have been. We know it's going there, maybe not in all it's self felatiating detail but I think that's more or less where it'll end up, and it'll do it with better leads and more comedy. Somehow this show just passed my watch threshold. I'm sticking with it.

Hunter x hunter 74

hum so they are already done with GI ? kinda funny that this version of GI took as many episode as the first one yet this version focused on things that matter this time and managed to be great.

Uta no Prince Sama Maji Love 2000% ep 1 (utapri) (rewatch)
tumblr_inline_mksa89odGb1qz4rgp.gif

"To the distance between us, my heartbeat is feeling, feeling, feeling." Poison Kiss from Quartet Night is just really good. I keep just replaying that part as well as the OP song and the ED song from Tokiya. Roommates scene is funny as well.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
I liked Attack on Titan because it has a city and huge walls and reminds me of Haibane / Hard Boiled Wonderland so I'll continue to watch. Giant wall fetish.

7Th

Let's just hope it's the good Kenji Nakamura and not the let's-pretend-[C]-never-existed Kenji Nakamura.

It's probably going to be closer to [C] than to his other stuff; mebae is the character designer and it's being produced by Tatsunoko. THE DREAM IS OVER.

BluWacky

This summer.

Yup. I'm guessing there's a big media push with the Gatchaman property - isn't it something like the 40th anniversary? There's a live action film coming out in August as well.

Bit of a retro summer, it seems, if Sailormoon is definitely coming back in July.

Defuser said:
Sooo anime is saved once again?

I think we need to stop saying this -_-. This isn't directed specifically at you, but there will always be good shows and bad shows, and it's getting a bit worn out as a meme.

To be perfectly honest, although I admire Nakamura's talent as a creator, I'm not a huge fan of any of his original work. While I look forward to seeing if he comes up with something creative (the article that 7th links doesn't specifically say the lead's a magical girl, incidentally, just "a girl"), I reserve judgement until we have more of an idea of what he's planning.

Kagami

[Ore no Kuroneko S2] 1

That was more of the same I suppose. Kuroneko was adorable as that is her primary state of existence. I still don't care for the OP/Claris in general.

I wasn't specifically into Kuroneko in the first season, but that scene in the club room in this episode had high heart-attack potential.

BluWacky

Since Jexhius refuses to do the Ore thread, who is working on it?

Why, out of curiosity, does it need one? If it's only being posted for shits and giggles to watch people go OMG INCEST and mock anime fans, as with any thread to do with the franchise, that seems pretty counterproductive :(

Westlo

Why, out of curiosity, does it need one? If it's only being posted for shits and giggles to watch people go OMG INCEST and mock anime fans, as with any thread to do with the franchise, that seems pretty counterproductive :(

And it's going to get locked anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom