• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love your avatar.

You should get a Gunbuster pose avatar. Actually, everybody's avatar should be about the Gunbuster pose. Gunbuster pose April!

edit: See? Even Seraphis is in the groove!

I looked in my Strike Witch folder and waddayaknow:

sTRGVtE.jpg

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Oh.

My.

God.

:cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun

madp

The Light of El Cantare
You mean Sengoku Collection didn't push them over the edge already?

I guess in the sense that they're willing to animate anything as long as it's subsidized by someone else, but it's probably one of the most amazing examples of turning shit into gold in the entire medium. And apparently it still worked well enough that S2 is coming!

wonzo

Banned
Jormungand 23-24 END

jormungand23.jpg

I don't really remember why I didn't watch the last two episodes sooner but I honestly wished I hadn't even bothered. What a stupid ending, it's so dumb that even the show points out how
impractical and futile the whole plan is
and that still doesn't make it any less stupid. The whole
USSR v2.0 and BIG BEN BEING BLOWN UP BY EUROZONE TERRORISTS
was just the shit-cherry on top of this dumb pile of shit.

duckroll

Gargantia is finally confirmed to be a 1-cour show. They also announced the release format at the ACE talk event. The show will be released in 3 blu-ray box sets, each set comprising of 4 episodes and a bonus OVA episode. So there will be a total of 12+3 episodes. The final OVA will feature Minori Chihara (the OP singer) playing a guest character.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Fresh Precure!] 09
The removal of all freedoms, mother/son incest, promiscuity, and even idol model culture. These are not the values I expect in my little girl cartoons.

The entire plot about Miki leaving Pretty Cure for the sake of her dreams reminded me of Smile Precure! episode 44, which also led me to an uncomfortable realisation: why were the girls so melodramatic about Reika leaving for London when they have a magic bookshelf that can take them anywhere in the world at a moment's notice!?!?!?!?

Gargantia is finally confirmed to be a 1-cour show. They also announced the release format at the ACE talk event. The show will be released in 3 blu-ray box sets, each set comprising of 4 episodes and a bonus OVA episode. So there will be a total of 12+3 episodes. The final OVA will feature Minori Chihara (the OP singer) playing a guest character.

Neat, Minori Chihara makes a damn good OP.

The entire plot about Miki leaving Pretty Cure for the sake of her dreams reminded me of Smile Precure! episode 44, which also led me to an uncomfortable realisation: why were the girls so melodramatic about Reika leaving for London when they have a magic bookshelf that can take them anywhere in the world at a moment's notice!?!?!?!?

They probably forgot about it like how they do for most of the show expect for that one episode where they use it to travel around the world.

duckroll

Funny way to spell "horrible design".

I don't think it's really horrible. It's pretty interesting, since in a previous interview they mentioned that for the Dorssia mechs, they were going for a more "realistic" military design where they would be more like attack craft instead of humanoid robots, and none of the designs will have legs.

There'll probably be other stuff from the other faction as well. We'll have to see. There are 6 mecha designers working on the show, and we've only seen like 2-3 mech designs so far, with the Valvrave being the only humanoid one.

duckroll

So regarding the 3 mecha shows this season, these are the episode counts confirmed so far:

Valvrave - 13 episodes according to the broadcasters, but the composer says it is 2-cour, maybe split-cour

Majestic Prince - 24 episodes confirmed

Gargantia - 12 episodes confirmed, with 3 bonus OVA episodes on blu-ray

So 52 episodes of mecha anime in total at least! 3 shows added together is about 1 normal Gundam season! Lol.

JCG

I don't think it's really horrible. It's pretty interesting, since in a previous interview they mentioned that for the Dorssia mechs, they were going for a more "realistic" military design where they would be more like attack craft instead of humanoid robots, and none of the designs will have legs.

I think it's a valid approach, at least on paper, and actually seems to go back to the RB-79 Ball in concept. I'm not too excited by the ones they've shown, but I don't hate them either.

Instro

There'll probably be other stuff from the other faction as well. We'll have to see. There are 6 mecha designers working on the show, and we've only seen like 2-3 mech designs so far, with the Valvrave being the only humanoid one.

...Patrick Bateman will be wanting a reservation.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Betterman 01:

Okay, so.....uhh..........Seraphis, if you want to mutually dissolve our agreement, I'm cool with that, because this was just.......man, I don't even know where to begin.

I suppose it was a bad sign already when the OP was a live action video of a coral reef under the ocean with translucent stills of the characters slowly panning across the screen to some kind of slow, warbling song. It was uncomfortably Arjuna-esque. I mean, any mecha series from the years immediately following Evangelion should be assumed by default to be pretentious garbage full of DEEP THEMES, but this show basically trumpets it from the hilltops within a minute of starting.

I think that what struck me the most in the first few minutes was just how much the art design in the show embodies the absolute worst of the 90s. The insufferably-loudmouthed wiener of a protagonist has an endless repertoire of fugly faces, and virtually every other character is afflicted with some severe curves in their facial profiles, cheek zigzags, goo-goo-googly eyes, really sharp hair, and other unfortunate features common in shows of the era. I mean, this is just a taste:

good lord.

Apart from the character design, it's a visually bland show. While this may have been partially attributable to the subterranean locale in which most of the episode took place, the color palette feels dark, dull, and muddy. There is no impressive animation of note, and while it's always tempting to describe 2D mecha animation as being good by default, Betterman's mecha are entirely average for a work of its time. There was no fluidity, complexity, or dynamism to the combat in the episode; the mecha essentially stands in place, makes simple punches, beam attacks, and so on. There are really only two visual aspects of the episode of note: first, the show seems to have been produced in widescreen, which is unusual for the time. It's sometimes clear that the staff has no idea how to frame scenes correctly because the tops of characters' heads are often awkwardly cropped off, so if this was a thoughtless choice to make the show appear more "serious", it's laughable.

Second, and perhaps most oddly, it's quite noticeable that whenever a scene has any sort of digital effects e.g. displays on computer monitors, the entire scene is inked digitally and the show freely switches between ink and digital animation at will. It's blatantly obvious:

I'm not even going to speak about the narrative because it's the same boy-meets-mecha and same absolute mess of technobabble that every Evangelion ripoff that ever was and ever will be has had as a first episode. Except Betterman is worse than the average ripoff because even serious scenes are laced with ill-fitting and atrocious manic "comedy", usually courtesy the protagonist. Imagine a version of Evangelion where, at the moment that Gendou orders Rei to be bought out on her gurney after Shinji refuses to pilot Eva-01, that Rei's IV bag pole falls over and hits Shinji in the balls with a loud clanging sound effect. That's the essence of Betterman comedy.

I'm unsure as to whether or not I'll stick with this as I have far better shows that I want to use my time to catch up on, but it's unquestionably bad.

trejo

One of these days I'll manage to convince at least one of you people to stop wasting your time with dead ends and watch Violinist of Hameln instead.

DiGiKerot

Sounds about right.

I kind of like Sacred Seven (still not watched that movie, though), but that aside, for all that Horizon and Love Live have done well, and Accel World did OK, it's not like even Sunrise 8 have that great a batting average on this stuff - NeraGaku didn't do that great, and as much as I personally like Xenoglossia and SoraKakeGirl, well, they didn't really do much either.

trejo

I got a quarter of the way through that before I ended up distracted by life!

Sounds like you got your priorities all messed up!

I kind of like Sacred Seven (still not watched that movie, though), but that aside, for all that Horizon and Love Live have done well, and Accel World did OK, it's not like even Sunrise 8 have that great a batting average on this stuff - NeraGaku didn't do that great, and as much as I personally like Xenoglossia and SoraKakeGirl, well, they didn't really do much either.

There was a movie?

duckroll

Ooooh, there's actually ONE visible frame in the Valvrave PV where you can see the planes mechs which are defending against the attack:

fhDCUBS.jpg

Kurita

Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou 6

kDtHGNF.gif

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT
Why are you the bad guy Kasai??? I thought you were cool man!!

Gosh, I really didn't expect this.

Narag

Betterman 1

Not bad given I had no idea what to expect but I can understand the reservations other have. That said, the staff didn't let me down with GaoGaiGar so Ii'm more than willing to give this a fair shot even if it does lack a good hook to start things off with. The promise of the beatdown at the end of the ep isn't really a good way to start, ep should have ended with it.

I fell in love with that mech when I saw it had wheels!

Mandoric

Banned
Oh.

My.

God.

:cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun :cajun

Those high eyes. I still can't unsee the Terraformars roaches.

Narag

Betterman 2

g6f8Obrl.png

And then he turned into some weird mechalizard thing and murdered his enemy.

jacknod.gif

A problem with jargon is persistent so far though and the serious tone of the story so far is at odds with the aesthetics early on too. ED should be the OP as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom