• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2015 |OT| The Disappearance of YEAARRT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Theonik

did something happen? did i miss the party
ULEegzZ.gif

Arcadius

Banned
Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

Wow, this was seriously amazing. Madoka as a person, is so amazing and incredible; kind, loving and caring. I can't believe the way the story went. I know it was supposed to be "dark" from the get-go, but my gosh did I love it. It's not dark, it's a beautiful story of hope, masterfully creating/written and animated for us to view.

Madoka and Haruma are forever the best of friends and we witness it happen, seriously jaw dropping; this entire show, just jaw dropping, from good moments to all the sad and bad moments, there were so many times I yelled out "No freaking way, are you kidding me" - and variations of it, so good.

I love the OP's and ED's used, the beautiful voice and melodies to accompany the opening and the metal based music for the ED, love love love it.

The biggest difference and probably the first and most telling case that this show is different, is the way the eyes are drawn for people. It's not big and bright eyed with moe written all over it, it's very somber and the lines used across the top half sort of hint that this isn't going to be happy lovey wovey dovey stuff (thought EP 12 makes up for everything). I love the city Mitakihara, it's architecture is very real, but the subtle futuristic-like details are incredibly neat, it's amazing.

From all the art, it's the fight with Witches that's truly out there. It's not traditional anime type of opponents and by God is it weird; but in such a good way, the difference between Magical Girls, the world they live in and Witches and their "worlds", is totally different and the clash of art-styles melds really well. All the battles are great and just simply fantastic.

The cast is really well done, Madoka Kaname, Miki Sayaka, Homura Akemi, Kyouko Sakura and Tomoe Mami, all very cute girls with cute costumes, but more importantly than just being cute magic girls, they feel very real with a purpose behind everything they do. I applaud the writers for creating very competent and amazing characters with stories to match each one, I love 'em.

The feelings and emotions for the last episode, my goodness, the tears on my face are still fresh. I loved it, what a great anime, what a fantastic and beautiful anime told in the most unexpected of ways, must watch, seriously must watch.

I'd love to go into the story, but I'd rather not, if you're curious for one second about this, please watch it, it's a masterpiece of an anime and is only 12 episodes.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yes it is, Cornbread, and I think you might like it.

I feel bad for recommending you these shows but honestly it's better if people enjoyed themselves rather than become bitter old men like everyone else in this thread.

Wow, this was seriously amazing. Madoka as a person, is so amazing and incredible; kind, loving and caring. I can't believe the way the story went. I know it was supposed to be "dark" from the get-go, but my gosh did I love it. It's not dark, it's a beautiful story of hope, masterfully creating/written and animated for us to view.

Madoka and Haruma are forever the best of friends and we witness it happen, seriously jaw dropping; this entire show, just jaw dropping, from good moments to all the sad and bad moments, there were so many times I yelled out "No freaking way, are you kidding me" - and variations of it, so good.

I love the OP's and ED's used, the beautiful voice and melodies to accompany the opening and the metal based music for the ED, love love love it.

The biggest difference and probably the first and most telling case that this show is different, is the way the eyes are drawn for people. It's not big and bright eyed with moe written all over it, it's very somber and the lines used across the top half sort of hint that this isn't going to be happy lovey wovey dovey stuff (thought EP 12 makes up for everything). I love the city Mitakihara, it's architecture is very real, but the subtle futuristic-like details are incredibly neat, it's amazing.

From all the art, it's the fight with Witches that's truly out there. It's not traditional anime type of opponents and by God is it weird; but in such a good way, the difference between Magical Girls, the world they live in and Witches and their "worlds", is totally different and the clash of art-styles melds really well. All the battles are great and just simply fantastic.

The cast is really well done, Madoka Kaname, Miki Sayaka, Homura Akemi, Kyouko Sakura and Tomoe Mami, all very cute girls with cute costumes, but more importantly than just being cute magic girls, they feel very real with a purpose behind everything they do. I applaud the writers for creating very competent and amazing characters with stories to match each one, I love 'em.

The feelings and emotions for the last episode, my goodness, the tears on my face are still fresh. I loved it, what a great anime, what a fantastic and beautiful anime told in the most unexpected of ways, must watch, seriously must watch.

I'd love to go into the story, but I'd rather not, if you're curious for one second about this, please watch it, it's a masterpiece of an anime and is only 12 episodes.

One of my favourite shows of all time.

Its movie sequel, The Rebellion Story, is one of my most hated anime movies of all time, and I advise against watching it if you loved this story.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Cornbread likes everything, which makes recommending things super easy because you can just say anything that isn't like School Days or something.
KuGsj.gif

Baalzebup

So, quick question guys. What is the context of the below pics and what anime's are they from?

Also, is Mirai Nikki that Psycho thriller anime series?

Yes.

And the first picture seems to be from Yosuga No Sora. I'll have to check real quick. Edit: Yup, it was. Aaaand kewlmyc got the confirmation in before me. She is the sister of the main guy. There is twincest in the final "route." THAT particular scene is actually still a fakeout. The phrases used are pretty much straight out used as sex talk as well, but is just a bunch of double speak as she is actually saying that she wants to go to the same school as her brother and wants him to take her measurements for the school uniform. Doesn't change the fact that she wants to jump his bones though.

Arcadius

Banned
One of my favourite shows of all time.

Its movie sequel, The Rebellion Story, is one of my most hated anime movies of all time, and I advise against watching it if you loved this story.

I totally forgot to ask in my little write-up, are any of the movies worth watching? Does The Rebellion Story ruin what Madoka did at the end and stuff, I love the way the story ends, but I am a little curious as to the whether I should watch the movie or not.

kewlmyc

So, quick question guys. What is the context of the below pics and what anime's are they from?

Also, is Mirai Nikki that Psycho thriller anime series?

and

Top: Yosuga no Sora
Context: Twinsest.

Bottom: Baka to Test
Context: Side character who is yandere for the protoganist's best friend. Really violent, but it's all humorous.

cajunator

Banned

Yeah its one of my top favorites. Out of the hundreds I have seen. Just...dont watch the third movie Rebellion. Trust me on that. You particularly wouldnt like it.

There are much better baseball episodes in other animes.

This is true (Doremi Naisho 9 is the best of the lot) but because it's a baseball episode it must still be watched.

I totally forgot to ask in my little write-up, are any of the movies worth watching? Does The Rebellion Story ruin what Madoka did at the end and stuff, I love the way the story ends, but I am a little curious as to the whether I should watch the movie or not.

Find the Cake Song from the film and just watch that bit.

Rebellion is the best thing in the series. If you really liked the ending and the series in general you will probably hate it. Me I thought the series was decent but Rebellion was great.

The other two movies are recaps.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I think Rebellion is worth watching but for some people it really did sour them on the ending of the TV series.

It comes down to how much you care about the "completed" experience versus just seeing more of the gang and their despair.

Arcadius

Banned
So I won't watch The Rebellion then, I love this show and it's already a favorite, I don't think I can handle losing what I have with it.

rrvv

Seriously watch the movie then make decision ether you like it or not.

Even if you don't it still amazing experienced.

Seriously you will missed it if you don't

Arcadius

Banned
Awwww, so many conflicting opinions!!! I really do want to watch it, I dislike not seeing everything an anime has to offer, but it sounds like it will truly ruin what I like about it.... I'll give it some thought, after my chest stops pounding and stuff.

If you loved the story of the show, trust me when I say that I think you will not enjoy The Rebellion Story.

I don't want to say what happens, but let's just say it took what I loved about the show and ripped it apart and smashed it.

I don't like to hate on many anime things, but the wounds from The Rebellion Story really cut deep. I hate it.

Rebellion was a movie that didn't need to exist, and it basically only existed to serve a middle finger to everything about the TV series.

The original series wrapped up extremely well and worked as a strong, cohesive story with some relatively interesting themes. Rebellion just feels like bad fanservice, a soulless husk being trotted out there to make as much money off their newly discovered cashcow as possible. (
And so of course there's also a shitty cliffhanger so they can make seventeen more movies to further exploit the fanbase as much as possible.
)

I suppose you could say that it takes a special dedication to your craft to take a series that was about fighting against an exploitative system and make a sequel that exists solely to exploit.

sonicmj1

I watched a few episodes of Beyond the Boundary back when I'd still give any KyoAni show a shot, and the writing turned me off so hard I couldn't take any more. Particularly, the way the two male characters' fetishes kept coming up constantly in every conversation and the main character's flirty catgirl-cosplaying mother were the absolute worst sort of light-novel dreck character writing. And it seemed like the writer thought that stuff was clever. I couldn't bear it.

I watched the sixth episode on its own because it was focused enough that it avoided most of the things that pissed me off about the show, but that's the only remotely redeeming memory I have of the show.

Rebellion was a movie that didn't need to exist, and it basically only existed to serve a middle finger to everything about the TV series.

The original series wrapped up extremely well and worked as a strong, cohesive story with some relatively interesting themes. Rebellion just feels like bad fanservice, a soulless husk being trotted out there to make as much money off their newly discovered cashcow as possible. (
And so of course there's also a shitty cliffhanger so they can make seventeen more movies to further exploit the fanbase as much as possible.
)

I suppose you could say that it takes a special dedication to your craft to take a series that was about fighting against an exploitative system and make a sequel that exists solely to exploit.
And funny thing is that Urobutcher didn't even want the ending right? lol

faridmon

Oh man, I am almost finishing NANA and I don't want it to end, too bad I have to read the Manga because the Anime ends prematurely.

cajunator

Banned
I watched a few episodes of Beyond the Boundary back when I'd still give any KyoAni show a shot, and the writing turned me off so hard I couldn't take any more. Particularly, the way the two male characters' fetishes kept coming up constantly in every conversation and the main character's flirty catgirl-cosplaying mother were the absolute worst sort of light-novel dreck character writing. And it seemed like the writer thought that stuff was clever. I couldn't bear it.

I watched the sixth episode on its own because it was focused enough that it avoided most of the things that pissed me off about the show, but that's the only remotely redeeming memory I have of the show.

Whoa now. The mother was magnificent!

)

I won't agree with your opinions on TTGL, but I'll definitely agree with this.

sM21G.gif

The only difference is I hope they DO make a sequel so they can apologize to everybody that didn't like the movie. Or at least make an alternate ending.

I don't care how many of you think how terrible of an idea that is. I WANT SATISFACTION.

And funny thing is that Urobutcher didn't even want the ending right? lol

Well, not exactly.

Urobuchi's original idea was to have Homura go with Madoka (like many of us would have wanted), but he was indecisive on it because he wasn't sure if that would really make her happy.

Then IIRC, Shinbo said: "Hey, how about you write a scenario where Homura and Madoka are enemies? To which Urobuchi thought that was a good idea, and thus we got Rebellion Story.

It's an interesting idea yeah, but it didn't need to exist, and to completely throw away the closure I and many other fans felt at the end of the original series was just heartbreaking. The more I think about it, the more I wish they never made Rebellion in the first place.

Cornbread78

Top: Yosuga no Sora
Context: Twinsest.

Bottom: Baka to Test
Context: Side character who is yandere for the protoganist's best friend. Really violent, but it's all humorous.

Oh, hell no at the top one

Cornbread likes everything, which makes recommending things super easy because you can just say anything that isn't like School Days or something.
KuGsj.gif

As long as I have some kind of context as to what I'm getting myself into, I'd probably watch it at some point. It's thise "surprises" that suck, but yeah. I've already been tainted by Scool Days..

This is from Mirai Nikki, right?

mirai-nikki-05-large-151.jpg

Sterok

Rebellion is the only anime I've seen that has sent someone into a rage IRL. It is glorious. It is art. It is required watching for all Madoka fans.

Oh man, I am almost finishing NANA and I don't want it to end, too bad I have to read the Manga because the Anime ends prematurely.

And then you can get caught up on the manga and realize it's been on hiatus for six years due to Yazawa's health issues.

But hey, maybe one of these days.

)

I don't know how you can call it exploitative when there has been no announced plans to continue the franchise. (unless I missed something)

ibyea

Banned
Lately I have come to liking Rebellion more, even if I still don't like the first 30 minutes. After the initial shock wore off and I had time to think about it, I think I like the ending. But yeah, if you thought the TV show was absolutely fine with its ending, it's not recommended.

I don't know how you can call it exploitative when there has been no announced plans to continue the franchise. (unless I missed something)

The last news we got was that the team was currently debating on how they could make more because they felt like they didn't make enough.

So yeah, I suspect an announcement by the Fall season or something.

ibyea

Banned
Yona of the Dawn 17-19
In which they find the green dragon Jaeha in a port ruled by a corrupt, authoritarian guy called Yumji. While at first he is a stereotypical vain guy, that aspect of him soften up after his introductory episode. That he was aware of his destiny and is consciously trying to get away from it also makes him interesting. Finally episode 19 was an excellent conclusion to Yona's development. She is willing to do whatever it takes to become just as strong as everyone else.

rrvv

Honestly consider how much money Madoka is been making. It will be very stupid to no capitalize. Also pretty sure many fan want more Madoka whether you like it or not

IFNrHk0.jpg

This is the closest thing we will ever get to Harry Potter.😎

I so want a good anime adaptation of The Ancient Magus Bride. It's like a mixture of Harry Potter and Studio Ghibli. Just imagining the characters and the world in animated form makes me excited. The world in this series is so vibrant and magical that if it were to be animated with good budget and direction, it would be amazing. The writing and art is brilliant, it feels as if I were reading a high quality novel. Goddamn if this series gets an anime adaption my life would mostly be complete, plus if it gets a good adaption it would definitely be a good contender for AOTY.

God do I need a anime of this so bad.

cajunator

Banned
Oh, hell no at the top one

As long as I have some kind of context as to what I'm getting myself into, I'd probably watch it at some point. It's thise "surprises" that suck, but yeah. I've already been tainted by Scool Days..

This is from Mirai Nikki, right?

mirai-nikki-05-large-151.jpg

Yunooooo <3

Oh I thought of a show you might really like called Fruits Basket.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom