• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

UTW_Amagami_SS_Plus_-_02_h264-720p1037320D.mkv_snapshot_03.06_2012.01.13_03.43.45.png

Well, got to see more Tsukasa Ayatsuji in this two episodes arc which is good or bad depend if you hate/love her. I am actually liking her as a character and seeing her more make me smile as I know her dark side and also want to see what happen after the Christmas party. Love the high school election arc where she have to compete against someone who have the similar character and watching the dirty trick the girl did to Tsukasa Ayatsuji is a fun to watch. Other than that, her relationship between Tachibana grow stronger after the election and you got to see it near the end of this arc. Look like a nice couple when you consider how Tachibana don't mind the cynical side of Tsukasa Ayatsuji.
tumblr_myra8gZZKD1ra3lv7o1_500.gif

Nice avatar, so I'm not sure who she is.

She is Shanoa from Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia. Man....I need to finish that game. Love Castlevania game on the handheld.

Sword of Oratoria ep.2
If this keeps up, it looks like we should get to see Bell's awesome minotaur fight again from Ais' crew's perspective, which should be fun!

I'm not sure about that, but they are moving rather quickly. The manga translation just caught up to that point after so many other things have happened.

Also, they do seem to be focusing on the elf girl a lot more as they have cut out all of Ais' internal monologues which let you know what she thinks of what's happening around her. They do a decent job of showing her little gestures and tics that kind of clue you into it, but I do hope they get into it later since it becomes important

Jarmel

Banned
Btw I wrote a bunch of stuff earlier about how FMP might be getting delayed for quality reasons and Xebec being overworked. Looks like I might be wrong and that it's tied to the circumstances regarding North Korea. *shrug*

javac

So last year was a pretty good one at least when it came to anime on the big screen in the UK. Last year at the cinemas I watched When Marnie Was There, Kizumonogatari 1 & 2, Belladonna of Sadness, The Red Turtle, A Silent Voice and Your Name.

And although I never did get to watch Shin Godzilla, this year seems to be a good one too.

This is what the line up is looking like so far:

In This Corner of the World (Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni) - Friday 30 June 2017
Napping Princess: The Story of the Unknown Me (Hirune Hime: Shiranai Watashi no Monogatari) - Friday 18 August 2017
The Maiden Galaxy (Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome) - Friday 22 September 2017
Perfect Blue (20th Anniversary) - Tuesday 31 October 2017
Fireworks (Uchiage Hanabi, Shita kara Miru ka? Yoko kara Miru ka?) - Friday 17 November 2017
Lu Over the Wall (Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta) - Friday 8 December 2017
http://launchingfilms.com/release-schedule?distributor=535&sort=dist

Interested in all of these outside of Fireworks and Napping Princess. I've been waiting so long for In this Corner of the World T_T

Narag

Btw I wrote a bunch of stuff earlier about how FMP might be getting delayed for quality reasons and Xebec being overworked. Looks like I might be wrong and that it's tied to the circumstances regarding North Korea. *shrug*

Do tell about that.

Jarmel

Banned
Do tell about that.
One of the animators tweeted about it in vague terms.

It might end up affecting more shows than FMP but FMP is sorta unique in that the opening arc in the new season deals with an attack directly on Tokyo. So some people might feel it's a bit callous compared to something like Gundam which is more abstract in regards to the locations. Nobody gives a shit about Side 7.

Besides at this point, every season of FMP has had a delayed broadcast (except maybe Fumoffu) due to some international issue. The first season got pushed back due to 9/11 and the opening arc there had an airplane hijacking. lol

sonicmj1

Of course Benten isn't a good person. But she's fun and mysterious and she transgresses the norms of society. That's exciting and alluring. The consequences of that matter less to me because this is fiction and the people on the receiving end of her actions are largely total fools.

Nidaime's treatment of her is itself transgressive of the norms of this show, which makes it exciting for the same reasons that her actions are exciting.

What a great show.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
An elephant is impressive to them, they can't just transform into whatever they want. Yasaboru specifically is super talented and the older brother's night time train is considered a specialty.

duckroll

Virgin Soul - Episode 3

Very good. Next episode is going to be action packed.

Gantz:O

Not that good. But better action and editing than Kingsglaive.

The Wright Answer - Epsiode 3

Very good. But "good" might not be the precise word to describe it in this language. I don't want to cause misunderstandings.

An elephant is impressive to them, they can't just transform into whatever they want. Yasaboru specifically is super talented and the older brother's night time train is considered a specialty.

Must've forgotten details, I just remembered Yasaburo transforming into a gigantic being and the older brother turning into a train.

Tuck

Virgin Soul - 1
Needs more FAVAROOOOOO

Pretty good overall. Solid animation - pleasantly surprised that the dragon at the end wasn't CG.

Kaisar seems bad at his job.

Feels good to be back in this world. While the first season did go a bit off the rails in the second half, it was still an enjoyable romp overall.

So last year was a pretty good one at least when it came to anime on the big screen in the UK. Last year at the cinemas I watched When Marnie Was There, Kizumonogatari 1 & 2, Belladonna of Sadness, The Red Turtle, A Silent Voice and Your Name.

And although I never did get to watch Shin Godzilla, this year seems to be a good one too.

This is what the line up is looking like so far:

In This Corner of the World (Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni) - Friday 30 June 2017

Napping Princess: The Story of the Unknown Me (Hirune Hime: Shiranai Watashi no Monogatari) - Friday 18 August 2017

The Maiden Galaxy (Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome) - Friday 22 September 2017

Perfect Blue (20th Anniversary) - Tuesday 31 October 2017

Fireworks (Uchiage Hanabi, Shita kara Miru ka? Yoko kara Miru ka?) - Friday 17 November 2017

Lu Over the Wall (Yoake Tsugeru Lu no Uta) - Friday 8 December 2017
http://launchingfilms.com/release-schedule?distributor=535&sort=dist

Interested in all of these outside of Fireworks and Napping Princess. I've been waiting so long for In this Corner of the World T_T

That's a really nice lineup of films. I hope all of those end up here in some form. (Well, Hirume Hime was at the NYICFF this year but I wasn't able to go sadly.)

John Blade

as-e4-00.png

Yay!!! A proper ending for Rihoko Sakurai Arc where both know each other love. I was worry a bit of how to get Junichi to know Rihoko love to him but it work well for this short episodes. Overall, a decent ending for this arc and in a way a nice way to end this childhood friend love between them.

Also, if you like thick lady, I guess she is the one for you.
1409586891518.gif

javac

That's a really nice lineup of films. I hope all of those end up here in some form. (Well, Hirume Hime was at the NYICFF this year but I wasn't able to go sadly.)

It really is a great line up, I'm really happy with how things are panning out these days, we'd usually get your Ghibli's and the odd shonen here and there but the breadth and depth of releases has improved exponentially over the last few years. 2016 was pretty killer and the pace doesn't seem to be waning. I mean even though I saw it last year, technically A Silent Voice was a 2017 theatrical release too so some would say that the year has already started off with a bang!

John Blade

Man...I wonder if I should go watch A Silent Voice the movie as I read the entire manga and like for what it's. I am a bit worry the story will be cram down quite a bit into a movie length. I think I will wait till a Blu-ray release reach the North American release and get it as I do love the manga for what it's.

Also, I just open a can of worm and listen to Clannad OST and man....bad move as quite a few song hit me like a train wreak. This isn't good.

Tuck

Virgin Soul - 2

So apparently in the last ten years, Kaisar became completely useless.

I almost feel like I should have rewatched the first season. I don't remember enough to tell if the premise here makes sense, relative to what was shown then.

IIRC, demons in the first season weren't just some race different from the humans, they were pretty shitty, evil creatures. So... now we're supposed to feel sympathy for them? Did they have a home city in the original? Why do demons even need a city? How does a demon city even work? What happened to Jean - wasn't she a top knight in the capital?

Whats here isn't bad, like, the show is enjoyable. But when I look at it alongside the first season, the premise seems off. I might just be misremembering the details, and I suppose some of it just comes from the fact that 10 years have passed so things are different.

Narag

Virgin Soul - 2

I almost feel like I should have rewatched the first season. I don't remember enough to tell if the premise here makes sense, relative to what was shown then.

IIRC, demons in the first season weren't just some race different from the humans, they were pretty shitty, evil creatures. So... now we're supposed to feel sympathy for them? Did they have a home city in the original? Why do demons even need a city? How does a demon city even work? What happened to Jean - wasn't she a top knight in the capital?

Whats here isn't bad, like, the show is enjoyable. But when I look at it alongside the first season, the premise seems off. I might just be misremembering the details, and I suppose some of it just comes from the fact that 10 years have passed so things are different.

No idea if it'll help but there's a two episode short series connecting the first and second season.

sonicmj1

Virgin Soul - 2

Firstly, demons definitely got up to bad things, but they aren't necessarily all out to get humanity. Azazel did bad stuff, but he was somewhat redeemed over the course of the original series when he helped Favaro and Kaisar stop Beelzebub as they tried to halt Bahamut. This might explain why Kaisar has been... ineffective at stopping the Rag Demon.

There are a few short episodes set between the two series (worth watching, and easy enough to find on Youtube). The second one is focused on Kaisar and Jeanne, and there we learn that she has lost the divine favor of the gods, but continues to serve as a knight.

duckroll

Virgin Soul - 2

In the first season, the human, demon, and god realms are distinct. They largely kept to themselves, and those who did cross over between realms did so with bad intentions. Demons in the human realm were pretty much exclusively preying on humans and "evil" by definition. But there's also an entire realm of demons just living in their own society not giving anyone any shit.

What has happened between seasons is that the reigning king initiated a crusade into the demon realm to commit genocide and enslave a bunch of demons, drag them into the human realm, and force them to work for humans. As we can see from the flash forward in the opening of the first episode, he will eventually do this to the god realm as well. invading to claim the power of the gods for humanity. So it's less about sympathizing with demons than recognizing that this dude is really fucked up.

zulux21

Ping Pong the animation

this show is absolutely hideous, but it was fun. I understand checking out the original manga they stayed fairly true to the manga style, but doesn't change my views of that especially since unlike mob it was very clear at times the show didn't have a very big budget.

Either way if you enjoy sports anime at all, and can get past the looks I highly recommend it.

Cornbread78

Princess Lover ep.9-END
WTF was that ending?
Typical harem non-ending with no winner
...uugghh. the comedy in the show was hit or miss, the girls were alright and the show did them no favors by not doing any relationship developement with the MC outside of the Princess. MC and maid best characters...
Oh well, at least they all got a kiss in at some point..
Gladit'sover/10

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Ping Pong the animation

this show is absolutely hideous, but it was fun. I understand checking out the original manga they stayed fairly true to the manga style, but doesn't change my views of that especially since unlike mob it was very clear at times the show didn't have a very big budget.

Either way if you enjoy sports anime at all, and can get past the looks I highly recommend it.

What? Ping Pong the Animation is beautiful and lovingly animated at nearly every point.

Tuck

Firstly, demons definitely got up to bad things, but they aren't necessarily all out to get humanity. Azazel did bad stuff, but he was somewhat redeemed over the course of the original series when he helped Favaro and Kaisar stop Beelzebub as they tried to halt Bahamut. This might explain why Kaisar has been... ineffective at stopping the Rag Demon.

There are a few short episodes set between the two series (worth watching, and easy enough to find on Youtube). The second one is focused on Kaisar and Jeanne, and there we learn that she has lost the divine favor of the gods, but continues to serve as a knight.

In the first season, the human, demon, and god realms are distinct. They largely kept to themselves, and those who did cross over between realms did so with bad intentions. Demons in the human realm were pretty much exclusively preying on humans and "evil" by definition. But there's also an entire realm of demons just living in their own society not giving anyone any shit.

What has happened between seasons is that the reigning king initiated a crusade into the demon realm to commit genocide and enslave a bunch of demons, drag them into the human realm, and force them to work for humans. As we can see from the flash forward in the opening of the first episode, he will eventually do this to the god realm as well. invading to claim the power of the gods for humanity. So it's less about sympathizing with demons than recognizing that this dude is really fucked up.

Both of these were big helps - thank you!

Ping Pong the animation

Budget has nothing to do with it. Ping Pong was animated on a ludicrously short schedule, and the shortcomings of that schedule do show in it having the weakest animation out of all of Yuasa's TV work. Still, Yuasa made the best of a difficult situation by compensating for the limited animation with a lot of style and directorial creativity, and carrying over the manga style and paneling in a clever way to keep the visual energy up. It's hardly perfect, but it's an amazing feat considering the circumstances.

Quasar

Princess Lover ep.9-END
WTF was that ending?
Typical harem non-ending with no winner
...uugghh. the comedy in the show was hit or miss, the girls were alright and the show did them no favors by not doing any relationship developement with the MC outside of the Princess. MC and maid best characters...
Oh well, at least they all got a kiss in at some point..
Gladit'sover/10

I'm a bit confused. I mean it had everyone working together to rescue Charlotte and it ending with Charlotte and Teppei fucking. It was a clear end to me unlike most anime romcoms.

zulux21

Budget has nothing to do with it. Ping Pong was animated on a ludicrously short schedule, and the shortcomings of that schedule do show in it having the weakest animation out of all of Yuasa's TV work. Still, Yuasa made the best of a difficult situation by compensating for the limited animation with a lot of style and directorial creativity, and carrying over the manga style and paneling in a clever way to keep the visual energy up. It's hardly perfect, but it's an amazing feat considering the circumstances.

ah short schedule would also make sense.

I figured it was budget mostly because it was obvious that at important times the animation efforts were kicked into high gear and really helped the bigger impact scenes, but outside of those it was often where the animation was lacking, especially in the second half where there were a ton of still images with voice overs going on.

but yeah schedule issues and trying to get scenes done also makes perfect sense for both of those.

What? Ping Pong the Animation is beautiful and lovingly animated at nearly every point.

it has moments, but it also has plenty of moments where they barely animated anything at all.

duckroll

Time is also a constraint of budget. The most important one even.

Not necessarily. Time is a constrain of scheduling. If you decide today that you want to make a product that needs to ship in a month, it doesn't matter how much money you can afford to throw at it, some times cannot be done.

zulux21

oh I also forgot to mention, my finding of the art as hideous aside... I will also mention that I love the fact that the characters actually look asian in the show. it's nice to see especially after playing persona 5 where all the main characters are standard anime design and could easily be white characters while all the background NPCs are very asian looking and clearly have a vastly different skin tone to the main characters.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Not necessarily. Time is a constrain of scheduling. If you decide today that you want to make a product that needs to ship in a month, it doesn't matter how much money you can afford to throw at it, some times cannot be done.

That's true, sometimes it cannot be overcome. Even with an infinite amount of money you'd need to find enough animators to do the work and that takes time, plus making it look consistent if you had to spread the work over x number of studios would lead to a rushed looking product anyways.

But in general time is a good thing...unless you are MHA's production committee and make sure that every season begins with a filler ass recap and some slow paced episodes because...I don't know why.

duckroll

That's true, sometimes it cannot be overcome. Even with an infinite amount of money you'd need to find enough animators to do the work and that takes time, plus making it look consistent if you had to spread the work over x number of studios would lead to a rushed looking product anyways.

But in general time is a good thing...unless you are MHA's production committee and make sure that every season begins with a filler ass recap and some slow paced episodes because...I don't know why.

It's extra funny when Ping Pong is used as an example, when we know for a fact that Bahi JD was paid to animate a bunch of stuff that didn't even make it into the final product. They were much more elaborate cuts, and he had finished all the key animation, but because it would have taken too much time to finish the in-betweens for them, they opted to get someone else to animate those scenes in a simpler way instead just so it could make the broadcast deadline. Since Bahi was still paid and credited, they presumably spent more on a lower quality outcome, simply because of time.

It's interesting to see how TV anime operates on rules which would totally confuse people more familiar with how animation is done anywhere else - where you generally don't plan a broadcast/release until the majority of the work is already done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom