• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Alien Pal and Me 7
DAy_N3_CEWAAQq6_TF.jpg

He could probably kill us all at the slightest whim.

This episode pulled back on the somewhat threatening image we saw of zaShunina last episode, but it didn't downplay how otherworldly he is.

DAy_SRXu_Vo_AAC-_GE.jpg

Why lady? Our Alien Pal is rad!

Sterok

Twin Angel Break 8

Okay, I was watching this ironically at first, but now I'm legitimately enjoying this now. Weird. Meguru and Veil have a pure friendship while Sumire and Nui have actual brains but don't want to let down their companion. Nice to have both sides go through that this time. Some respect for onii-chan for duping Mary. Too bad she double-duped him. Then he tried to triple-dupe her, but she's got the army and guns so it's kind of hard for her to lose. Also, why is she just now pulling out the guns? Actually looking forward to the next episode.

Kado 07

"Humans spend a third of their day sleeping, if they didn't have to human productivity would go up by 1.5 times"

From which corner of your ass are you pulling this math mr government employee/author? Has there been a study done of people who don't need to sleep that showed productivity increase that much? Are we not sure that people as a whole might simply laze around more?

They're thinking this in a very Japanese fashion me thinks. Maybe in their extremely work centric culture it works. Closest to that is probably America, but you try telling employees that they not only now have to work for more than 8 hours a day, but also be more productive.

I will fucking riot.

Narag

There aren't many dark fantasy novels/comics out there. Heaven knows if you go to tv and film, even less. But maybe it's true we western fans pretend it's bigger than it actually is.

But then you see them attempting to revive the series with games and this anime. Plus the films. So it's at least well known.

I imagine there's quite a bit of dark fantasy novels out there but lack of accessibility or lack of exposure hurts outside of stuff like The Black Company or Sandman

edit:

okay maybe pickings are slimmer than expected
C28P0C0.png

vTnCCKS.png

One of these days I'll read the Black Company. But after Malazan Book of the Fallen I've just been exhausted from fantasy novels for a while lol. As to Sandman, I honestly never considered that dark fantasy in the more traditional sense, but I guess that Gaiman does like writing his own modern version of it. Alongside American Gods, that's probably the genre he writes. Never grasped that.

edit: LMAO at The Scorpion King.

"I've read the novelization of the Scorpion King, it really is the epitome of the genre"

KraytarJ

Saekano.flat 7
Tomoya might have actually finally actually understood Kato after all their time together. So it seems like this is possibly one last ride together now for the title drop. Secret star of the episode has to be fujoshi barista.

Narag

One of these days I'll read the Black Company. But after Malazan Book of the Fallen I've just been exhausted from fantasy novels for a while lol. As to Sandman, I honestly never considered that dark fantasy in the more traditional sense, but I guess that Gaiman does like writing his own modern version of it. Alongside American Gods, that's probably the genre he writes. Never grasped that.

The first six books are fairly short. I think the first two omnibuses were like 600 pages each but 3 books each at that.

Kabuki Club Episode 8

I loved their performance, probably first half a bit more than second half since I could understand it better, but I still like the second half. Also I enjoyed their effects and sound for making the intro modern and easy to get the younger folks into it.

Ebihara knows he wants to participate, stop being so distant. Though Im glad he showed up!!!

Kurogo means stage hand, why would she name him that?

Future Card Buddyfight X [ Batzz ] Episode 7 (engdub)

Gaito with that powerful Impact, nice upgrade. Though I kind of wanted
Dai Kaido to win

Gao going against Sakate is bad news for me, plotwise, Sakate will have to lose :(

The King's Avatar Episode 1

Do companies seriously exist that manage elite gamers and can kick them or bind them to a contract?

Ye Qiu is a good character if only he wasnt at retiring age which puts him older than most of my fav protagonists. Still hes funny and I hope he continues to be really epic in battle.

Some of the CG scenes looked amazing while others looked like Pre yr 2000 computer game models (any of the background character moments in the cafe), which is strange when some other moments look awesome (chair, or scene through the Chinese city).

Jarmel

Banned
So since I was bored, I decided to rewatch one of Jexhius' favorite anime of all time.

Gundam Stardust Memory-1
It's been awhile since I've seen the show and so with the BD transfers, I was curious how the picture quality and animation have held up. The first episode starts off by establishing the core group of characters with the show, mainly Kou and Nina. Kou comes off as the usual brash sort of Gundam pilot but does seem competent as a test pilot in how quickly he was able to analyze the strengths of the new prototypes.
As an aside, I thought this line was pretty funny as at the end of the episode, the test pilots largely seem useless and one guy gets sliced up like butter. Then there's Nina who comes across as the usual stuck up Gundam heroine. Ah the good old days when Gundam heroines were actively dislikable. I am liking some of the side characters, mainly Keith and Mora. I'm starting to pick up on Kawamoto's preferences when he designs characters such as there's usually a 'big girl' and I appreciate a man with good taste. Anyway the primary villain Gato jacks the lightly guarded Gundam armed with a nuke. Why an active nuke isn't better guarded other than one checkpoint or that there aren't thousands of fail-safes, I will never know.
On the visuals side, there are a lot of really detailed mechanical drawings but no real animation showcase yet. There were some cuts with good motion but nothing too outstanding yet. The art direction and color design are making me a bit reminiscent of the previous cel era. The music is a bit better than I was expecting, the ending credits song being in English (by a native English singer) threw me for a loop. I forgot how some old anime liked doing that at random.

People don't talk about Kou when they talk about Gundam, but he's probably one of the more grounded and believable leads in the series. (Not like that's saying much tho.)

Planetes 22

In which Hachimaki falls into Existential Despair.

I don't really understand
how Hakim managed to escape after starting the explosion that ended last episode. The Von Braun was out in space, right? It doesn't seem like he should have been able to leave it by himself while escaping detection from the authorities and make his way down to Claire's apartment on the moon. I'm also not sure how the explosion managed to not damage anything, even if Hachimaki interrupted Hakim while setting it up. It certainly looked big and fiery enough to cause some kind of setback, but it appears to be business as usual for the Von Braun.

blurr

Planetes 22

In which Hachimaki falls into Existential Despair.

I don't really understand
how Hakim managed to escape after starting the explosion that ended last episode. The Von Braun was out in space, right? It doesn't seem like he should have been able to leave it by himself while escaping detection from the authorities and make his way down to Claire's apartment on the moon. I'm also not sure how the explosion managed to not damage anything, even if Hachimaki interrupted Hakim while setting it up. It certainly looked big and fiery enough to cause some kind of setback, but it appears to be business as usual for the Von Braun.

Is this the episode with the scene where the 12 year old Lunarian asks him to see the earth from space and tell where he's from?

Kado 07

"Humans spend a third of their day sleeping, if they didn't have to human productivity would go up by 1.5 times"

From which corner of your ass are you pulling this math mr government employee/author? Has there been a study done of people who don't need to sleep that showed productivity increase that much? Are we not sure that people as a whole might simply laze around more?

They're thinking this in a very Japanese fashion me thinks. Maybe in their extremely work centric culture it works. Closest to that is probably America, but you try telling employees that they not only now have to work for more than 8 hours a day, but also be more productive.

I will fucking riot.

From episode 0's presentation of Shindo, it was clear that the show was steeped in Japanese salaryman culture where Work is Everything. Shindo is held up as an admirable figure because he works tirelessly without rest, and it seems like the alien's schemes for human modification are designed to encourage everyone to attain the same heights of salaryman-ness.

Is this the episode with the scene where the 12 year old Lunarian asks him to see the earth from space and tell where he's from?

No, that was a while ago, although Nono does appear in this episode as well.

I don't know what it says about me that out of all the stupid nonsense that happens in both seasons of Code Geass, Schneizel's illegal chess move is still the most upsetting.

(Most of) the stupid nonsense in R2 can be hand-waved away by filling in some blanks in your head.

This is just a flat-out blatant thing that anyone with the slightest knowledge on how to play Chess will yell: "THAT'S NOT HOW THAT WORKS."

Saturday is a good day for anime, because of many shows, but mostly Tiger Mask W.

DAzvoz_LUAAA2oh7.jpg

It has wrestling Tigers just hanging out, being wrestling Tigers.

Line_HTX

Dayyum... This year Kadokawa has banned ALL isekai or reborn in / transported to another world type stories and stories with teen protagonists in their Light Novel contests.

Looks like they have seen too many Endless Traaaaash~

Szadek

Dayyum... This year Kadokawa has banned ALL isekai or reborn in / transported to another world type stories and stories with teen protagonists in their Light Novel contests.

Aren't that like all the Light Novels, though?

Mendrox

lol amazing. So something new stupid will be born.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom