• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

JulianImp

Kuroko - Up to #75
The finale was emotional, yeah, but I didn't really care about Akashi's character arc, as opposed to just about anyone else in the Generation of Miracles (heck even Murasakibara's arc was more interesting than his to me). The final match was also waaaaay too shounen for my taste, with the dumb back-and-forth where hurdles would show up one by one as soon as Seirin managed to clear the previous one, and the whole game was full of ass-pull super skills that got a bit vexing by the end.

I guess it makes sense since Kuroko is a shounen title, but the way characters were constantly speaking at length about something we just saw felt condescending, to say the least. I just saw Seirin failed to stop a rival's skill, I don't need the whole Generation of Miracles, Riko and other side characters to ramble about how strong the other player is and how they really have to get their act together to turn things around, because I just saw it a couple seconds ago. I'd get it if it was some technical talk about the game rules that casual watchers might not grasp, but far too often it was about explaining how Seirin absolutely had to score or stop the rival team's next play or they'd 100% be out of the game, which felt really arbitrary. For example point gap limits, were taboo early on, but then didn't matter at all in the Winter Cup finals because of reasons... what?

I wasn't really expecting a realistic basketball show by any stretch, but it was kind of disappointing to see characters rely more and more on "special skills", and matches being entirely about pitting Seirins' special skills against the opposition while aces constantly went one-on-one as the show went on, but I guess that was the way the series chose to portray Seirin's growth.

Dragon Ball Super 92

Oh my God. Buu fell asleep and won't wake up so the team only has 9/10 fighters, so Goku is going to ask Freeza to be the 10th.

:dragonball

Narag

Oh yea that's surely not what the comments I read everyweek for recreators are. It ranges from boring to zzzzzz to *this needs more fighting* and finally some *they talk too much.* Sure you give it 3 episodes, but I think wasting (they are at 8?) Nearly 3 hours of your limited time on something only to come here and post zzzzzz and *it can't get better* to be dumb.

I have trouble understanding it too. Narag makes a good point, there is some academic value in trying to ascertain where the show missteps, but at the same time I only feel like a few people are actually doing that and most hate watch something out of sheer disbelief that whatever they aren't enjoying is somehow popular. I don't think I've never watched something to the end if I knew I loathed it before the mid point.

There's also the necessity of "reading the room" at play here. Current incarnation of AnimeGAF has less people willing to discuss criticism and more people rushing to blind defense. It's something that comes and goes as exploring concerns with people not so eager to examine them can be discouraging.

There's also the necessity of "reading the room" at play here. Current incarnation of AnimeGAF has less people willing to discuss criticism and more people rushing to blind defense. It's something that comes and goes as exploring concerns with people not so eager to examine them can be discouraging.

I don't know that I agree from what I've seen while I've been following this group. I've seen plenty of people willing to breakdown a show in long, lengthy posts, highlighting various aspects they find disappointing. And a show, like ReCreators, doesn't seem to have a defense team on here. Heck, as someone who still thinks positively of the show, I haven't really ever come to its defense, other than to add my two cents when someone asks how the series is.

I think it's more a case by case basis, some shows get defense teams, like LWA, some don't, but I'm relatively new here so maybe I'm talking out my ass.

I also might argue it also, instead, has more to do with how much energy people can drum up to some up their thoughts on a series when it's easier to just type a sentence indicating your dislike, or love for it. Again though, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

I never understood hate watching. Why bother watching something you call boring and trash every week? Either you are lying and you are entertained or you are crazy.

For some it's the "So Bad, It's Good" factor.

I think with Re:Creators, a lot of people are holding out to see if it ultimately pans out to be anything worthwhile.

Dragon Ball Super Episode 92
download.png
download_1.png
download_2.png

This is the best idea Goku has ever had.

Also female saiyans are rad.

DBS sounds like so much fun. I fell off very shortly after I got through the movie redo episodes, I think because the redo stuff just tired me out. Maybe once I get through my big Gundam marathon I can get back to it.

Just T

Koe no Katachi:

I remember when this was first announced and hoping it would be a series since it seemed like the whole thing couldn’t fit into a movie well unless it was just the one-shot. As expected there are some pacing issues here and there with some cut moments too. Some moments like the bridge scene felt like it could have used a bit more time before they got to it, then it’s kinda just left alone but not like it’s that different from the manga in that aspect. Of course, romance isn’t the main focus in this story but they both don’t really have closure in either form, though it’s a little bit better in the manga. Then there are the side characters who aren’t really delved in much which is actually not that bad tbh. The reason for that is the side characters Ueno, Kawai, and Mashiba are just terrible. The less time spent on them is for the better. However, for the good characters there were moments that were missed like the scene with Ishida and Yuzuru at the restaurant and some overall family moments.

Ah well though. Overall it was still really enjoyable to see this story animated, it’s a great one.

Taruranto

High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days

This was pretty boring, though I cannot say if it's because I genuinely have hard time enjoying the movie format or because it was actually boring.

I supposed I enjoyed the "new" characters enough, especially Asahi and Ikuya's brother.

The pacing felt pretty weird, especially the resolution of Makoto's drama. Or more like, it kinda feels like the first part of a 3 parts movie. I only watched this because apparently the new free project will have returning characters from the movie, but to be honest I'm kinda meh toward the franchise nowadays.

http://webm.land/media/SVx1.webm

Koe no Katachi:

I remember when this was first announced and hoping it would be a series since it seemed like the whole thing couldn’t fit into a movie well unless it was just the one-shot. As expected there are some pacing issues here and there with some cut moments too. Some moments like the bridge scene felt like it could have used a bit more time before they got to it, then it’s kinda just left alone but not like it’s that different from the manga in that aspect. Of course, romance isn’t the main focus in this story but they both don’t really have closure in either form, though it’s a little bit better in the manga. Then there are the side characters who aren’t really delved in much which is actually not that bad tbh. The reason for that is the side characters Ueno, Kawai, and Mashiba are just terrible. The less time spent on them is for the better. However, for the good characters there were moments that were missed like the scene with Ishida and Yuzuru at the restaurant and some overall family moments.

Ah well though. Overall it was still really enjoyable to see this story animated, it’s a great one.

I'm sad we didn't get to see Mashiba slap the shit out of that teacher though lol

Loona

Some sellout shill I'm subscribed on Youtube to made a video about how great Re:Creators is. Is it actually any good? Not watching any anime this season so far.

I'm liking it, but the the themes of the show are interesting to me, and I'm curious to see what they'll do with 22 episodes of the concept. I think Geoff may have praised Sota a bit too much as a character out of relating to some aspects, but if it ultimately the whole thing doesn't pan out, the video ranked Kado above Re:creators as the smartest show in the season, which should keep it relevant enough for posterity.

Re:Creators 8
For someone who didn't expect to care about meeting his work's creator, Yuuya's reaction turned out quite peculiar once he did, but then again, the circumstances are inherently messed up - still nice to see variations between creator/creation pairs.
Also, Meteora encouraging somebody else to speak - baby steps.
Our main antagonist finally got more screen time, and made it count, but was still a bit vague about her plan and motivation - her solo moment some episodes back was more interesting, but given the episode's end and other developments, maybe the future holds a bit more substance for her.
Also, I suspect Magane's outfit in this episode is going to seriously feed some fanartist drives for a few days...

Kado 7
so the no-sleep thing apparently works by outsourcing it to alternate selves, but then one wonder what those alternate selves are outsourcing to the characters...

JulianImp

I never understood hate watching. Why bother watching something you call boring and trash every week? Either you are lying and you are entertained or you are crazy.

Some bad shows I watched hoping they'd get better, such as Mayoiga. Others were so bad I kept watching just to see how far they'd go, such as Big Order or Black Bullet. Others had at least some element I liked, and I watched more hoping it'd get back to those things, such as SAO (the premise of the first arc was interesting, but then it became all Kirito all the time, sadly). Still, I've dropped my fair share of hatewatchable shows because they were just so bad I couldn't bring myself to watching anymore after a couple eps, such as Cross Ange, HxH (the lewd one, not Hunter x Hunter), Hundred, Taboo Tattoo and other such shows.

High☆Speed!: Free! Starting Days

This was pretty boring, though I cannot say if it's because I genuinely have hard time enjoying the movie format or because it was actually boring.

I supposed I enjoyed the "new" characters enough, especially Asahi and Ikuya's brother.

The pacing felt pretty weird, especially the resolution of Makoto's drama. Or more like, it kinda feels like the first part of a 3 parts movie. I only watched this because apparently the new free project will have returning characters from the movie, but to be honest I'm kinda meh toward the franchise nowadays.

http://webm.land/media/SVx1.webm

Waiting for Funi to bring this someday.

I hope RIn was in it.

LotusHD

Banned

This is the worst idea he's ever had. I'm appalled. I genuinely hate it so much.

But I'm just dying to see what the interactions between Frieza and everyone would be like.

It does feel weird that that one Saga seems kinda skipped over what with all the call backs, but I guess including Future Trunks was sorta it?

I'm... a tad confused, can you elaborate?

What I mean is that very few people that are watching don't seem to like the show so there is an attitude of this show is not fun to watch which automatically makes it much harder to have positive discussion but also there's not that many defenders of the show as someone else said.

Just T

My Hero Academia: 22

Bakugo is one of the characters I dislike most in the series so seeing this play out sucked just as much as reading it lol. But you gotta give it up for Uraraka's tenacity in the match, she did her best. Now Deku vs Todoroki is finally coming up and it's one of my favorite moments in the series, hyped.

My Hero Academia 22 -

This week was good but next week is gonna be hype. Midoriya vs Todoroki is the best fight of the arc for sure.

Re:Creators 8 -

Oh man that ending tho. Magical girl about to fuck some shit up.

Cornbread78

0-1-1 in soccer tourney games today, felt like I was watching anime soccer at times they way sone of these girls acted a fool out there.

This is the worst idea he's ever had. I'm appalled. I genuinely hate it so much.

But I'm just dying to see what the interactions between Frieza and everyone would be like.

Just for posterity lets see how many people on this team have killed another person on the team

Goku - Freeza, Buu
Vegeta - Himself
Piccolo - Goku
Freeza - Vegeta, Krillin, Piccolo. He blew up the planet in RoF but pretty much everyone was there besides 17 and 18
Buu - Oh man. Krillin, 18, Roshi, Gohan, Piccolo, Tien, 17.

I'm not even gonna count alternate timeline shit where 17 and 18 kill Gohan

If I just want to see how it ends. Aldnoah Zero, Charlotte, and Guilty Crown are good examples of this for me. I went in with anticipation, got disappointed around halfway through, eventually hated it before the finale, but I was so far in, I just wanted to finish it.

Sometimes, it's just not worth it though.
But that's ok you started by enjoying it and eventually the show felt out of what you liked, but you were still interested. That I understand, since I do that too.

Oh shit, I just realized they're uploading Zeta again as well.

EDIT: And after a double-take, it's the HD-remaster.

Any differences from the normal version I should be aware of?

Is the HD-Remaster what's on the BluRay/DVDs from Right Stuf? If yes, then I don't think anything is different, if not then I would like to know as well.

That's more like the people making the criticism sometimes don't feel like they even want to see counter-arguments. When I see people call something hot-garbage, I say to myself yep...this person won't be fun to talk with. It's never fun talking with someone that looks aggressive. So that second concern if I understand it well is a problem from both side. Also please next time, I know this may sound dumb, but I need simpler sentences. That 3rd sentence I had to re-read like a bunch of time and I'm still not sure I understand it.

Either way, don't waste your precious time hate-watching something. Time is too precious to waste it on being negative. I wasn't expecting so many replies.

kewlmyc

Just for posterity lets see how many people on this team have killed another person on the team

Goku - Freeza, Buu
Vegeta - Himself
Piccolo - Goku
Freeza - Vegeta, Krillin, Piccolo. He blew up the planet in RoF but pretty much everyone was there besides 17 and 18
Buu - Oh man. Krillin, 18, Roshi, Gohan, Piccolo, Tien, 17.

I'm not even gonna count alternate timeline shit where 17 and 18 kill Gohan

The Buu that did most of that is dead though, we have the innocent Buu on the team.

Goku is trying to recruit the main reason why there are only .1% of Saiyans left. Vegeta isn't going to be okay with this.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Creative content is inherently infinite by nature because of the complex range of individual response based on perception and interpretation. A net negative or positive response is a simplified measure of communicating how the piece was translated through the person at that specific point in time. So we have an infinite range of creative choices and outcomes run through an infinitely complex filter that is personalized to each individual and heavily tied to undefined concepts like emotion, critical thought, and expression. On a micro scale these infinite original pieces unique to a creative work have the potential to resonate with a person but still fail to click with that same individual on a macro scale. Given the infinite range prescribed to art it does not end there though, as the opportunity to extrapolate or reflect on presented concepts exists and goes on to inform how other pieces are defined, understood, or even created.

also if people don't like something they will usually not care too much and just say it stinks or they hate it.....................................because y bother externalizing those concerns or negative reactions.................

Creative content is inherently infinite by nature because of the complex range of individual response based on perception and interpretation. A net negative or positive response is a simplified measure of communicating how the piece was translated through the person at that specific point in time. So we have an infinite range of creative choices and outcomes run through an infinitely complex filter that is personalized to each individual and heavily tied to undefined concepts like emotion, critical thought, and expression. On a micro scale these infinite original pieces unique to a creative work have the potential to resonate with a person but still fail to click with that same individual on a macro scale. Given the infinite range prescribed to art it does not end there though, as the opportunity to extrapolate or reflect on presented concepts exists and goes on to inform how other pieces are defined, understood, or even created.

also if people don't like something they will usually not care too much and just say it stinks or they hate it.....................................because y bother externalizing those concerns or negative reactions.................

8/10 but should've been more wordy.

Re:Creators Ep 8

Welp Mamika is the best character here hands down. Im excited to see what happens next.

She really is. The last few episodes has really done a great job of expanding her character. Next week should be a lot of fun, I suspect Alice will probably jump in at some point in the fight tho.

Drifters 03-06

Holy crap. It's literally Hitler. It's not surprising though; I was getting Nazi vibes from Orte since their destruction of the village in Ep. 2. And he committed suicide, again. I'm wondering if it was actually suicide, or if someone bumped him off, since Orte doesn't seem in as bad a shape as end of war Germany.

It was really nice seeing those Orte bastards killed by Nobunaga; they deserved it. Reminds me of what soldiers in WW2 who liberated concentration camps would do to the guards. I really like Toyohisa's sense of honor in the scene. He's willing to abide by his code and spare you if play by the rules and keep things clean; the moment you start hurting and killing innocent people though... oh boy, you're done for.

It also looks like we're going to get our first real Drifters/Ends battle. So hyped to see how this plays out.

Also, I really like the dynamic between Easy and Murasaki. I really Easy. Seeing her in her pajamas and checking the news on her computer in her room was hilarious considering she's a godlike being.

A Silent Voice

Wow this was extremely hard to watch, but not in a bad way. The subject aboard was just extremely strong. The start had to be the hardest part to watch. I get it, I know, kids can be the meanest people in the world, but seeing it like that left a pretty big impact on me. The whole world 180 was pretty strong. Seriously that fight they had in the classroom, I cracked up. The whole redemption and learning to like themselves again was pretty amazingly done and I had a feeling it would end up going south in the way it did. Words and guilt are very powerful and getting abused mentally can leave the worst wounds possible. Oh and Ueno has to be the type of person I hate the most in the entire world. At some point watching her act and talk was making me aggressive. I would have punched her if I could.

Beautiful movie, extremely strong subject, absolutely amazing characters and beautiful OST.

I'll definitely buy it once I have a chance and once I have more money I will consider buying the manga. These type of stories deserve my love.

Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam - 24

DA4i6vmVwAIfGkE.jpg:large

DA4pHBiXUAALnAx.jpg:large
DA4pT7kXYAAUskc.jpg:large

Legend of the Galactic Heroes probably does this a lot better, but still.

So I return to the Tomino UC-verse once more...after brushing myself up on the current status quo by reading Wikipedia summaries that is.

So the Earth Federation surrenders its powers over to the Titans. Sucks, but it makes sense considering that the AEUG are the ones who started the war and they currently have enough problems as it is trying to repair all the damage caused by the One Year War.

Every single time we get a "Why isn't anime like it used to be?" thread I leave more assured people have no real idea what they actually want.

They have perhaps the vaguest inkling. They know what they don't want, and they want new stuff to be like old stuff.

Jintor

it's the same in every field

people forget the garbage of the old stuff and only remember the good, they're confronted with the reality of what things are and think the entire thing has gone to shit

Every single time we get a "Why isn't anime like it used to be?" thread I leave more assured people have no real idea what they actually want.

They have perhaps the vaguest inkling. They know what they don't want, and they want new stuff to be like old stuff.

If only all anime could be as good as that pinnacle of the medium, Earth Maiden Arjuna.

Quasar

Dayyum... This year Kadokawa has banned ALL isekai or reborn in / transported to another world type stories and stories with teen protagonists in their Light Novel contests.

I'm pretty bummed to see they are mandating Adult Male protagonists. Its not like the ladies read. That said given its to build up the Adults imprint 'Novel 0' it makes sense.

Why I continue to watch shows I think are bad: Because after a certain amount of time I feel invested and have to see how things get resolved.

When I drop shows they tend to be particularly bad/boring(Kado) or are a show that doesn't have much of a plot to be vested in. (Tsuki ga Kirei)

That said I do find it strange when people will watch a 24+ episode show, get to episode 15 and say "Yea this isn't for me." and drop it. Those are people who confound me.

LotusHD

Banned
Why I continue to watch shows I think are bad: Because after a certain amount of time I feel invested and have to see how things get resolved.

When I drop shows they tend to be particularly bad or are a show that doesn't have much of a plot to be vested in.

That said I do find it strange when people will watch a 24+ episode show, get to episode 15 and say "Yea this isn't for me." and drop it. Those are people who confound me.

Got to ep. 18 of Little Witch Academia, finally dropped it. Come at me. :p

But yea, as I get older, I don't have time to stick it out with shows I'm clearly no longer enjoying. If it's a manga, I can maybe do it, because it takes minutes to read. But for anime or live-action shows, those 20+ minutes adds up, especially if you fall behind, then it becomes an even bigger slog.

At the end of the day, I got too much shit to watch, thus I drop it.

jman2050

This is pretty easy to do with some LN adaptations, where there can be clearly delineated arcs that are relatively self-contained and serve as little more than set-up to whatever nonsense the author decided to go with next volume. I know I stopped watching Index after the Accelerator arc and never looked back, for example.

Quasar

Heh. I dropped a 24 episode show at episode 20 or so once. It was iirc a fit of rage at the treatment of my favourite character. I'd simply had enough.

I think it was Pet Girl of Sakurasou. I should have dropped much earlier but didn't for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom