• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

I thought that should be good, 200 countries get access to anime on a stable service on multiple devices, and we dont have to worry about [insert animism show is or is not getting picked up]. Apparently people want services that lock content to just 3 or 4 countries.

it's not that hard to run a VPN and it's cheaper to run a VPN then sub to prime.

I mean prime is $100 a year
strike is $5 a month on top of that
or $160 a year

crunchy is $60 for the year
funi is also $60 per year
hidive seems to be $4 a month for now so $48 a year.

so anime strike if you don't normally sub to prime is roughly the cost as all of the competition combined.

Cornbread78

Tokyo Ravens ep.16-17
lZELfuW.png
Again, that was a total badass fight and nice conclusion. A bunch of things finally got out in the open, but this main plot is starting to get grating and confusing...

it's not that hard to run a VPN and it's cheaper to run a VPN then sub to prime.

I mean prime is $100 a year
strike is $5 a month on top of that
or $160 a year

crunchy is $60 for the year
funi is also $60 per year
hidive seems to be $4 a month for now so $48 a year.

so anime strike if you don't normally sub to prime is roughly the cost as all of the competition combined.

But no one (in Amrica) is buying prime just for anime

Season 2 when for this..

Like alot of anime, it went down the drain with the time skip..

Never... :/

I...liked the ending too...

*bro hug*

225.gif

My Little Monster was pretty entertaining.

Not yet, but that's big news (and bad news for those who were hoping Amazon would stop licensing so much anime). Now they've got both this and noitaminA as ongoing blocks they hold the exclusive worldwide streaming rights too, in addition to any individual shows they license in Japan and what they get from Sentai.

I wish Amazon Strike would go away. But it's Amazon... it's not going away even if we want it to...

duckroll

Fuck Anime Strike.

It's bad enough it's behind TWO paywalls but it's not even available in Canada, making all their shows US exclusive.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but outside of the US, there is no Anime Strike and I think all the new shows are automatically part of the Amazon Video service which doesn't require Amazon Prime. Right?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but outside of the US, there is no Anime Strike and I think all the new shows are automatically part of the Amazon Video service which doesn't require Amazon Prime. Right?

in theory thats correct, but atleast for the sentai shows, they were not updated at the same time as the states, they were updated in bulk and half the time a episode was skipped or episodes are missing subtitles

only recreators and saekano were update at the same time of the usa and those werent sentai series

Quasar

Currently its seems to be some. I think in Australia for instance we didn't get all the simulcast shows that are on Strike.

duckroll

Currently its seems to be some. I think in Australia for instance we didn't get all the simulcast shows that are on Strike.

Interesting. But when people say "Fuck Anime Strike" what are they even referring to? Because the announcement about Animeism clearly says it is on the Amazon Prime Video service. Not exclusively on Anime Strike. That's confusing to me because isn't this GOOD news rather than bad news? What are people mad about?

Quasar

Interesting. But when people say "Fuck Anime Strike" what are they even referring to?

The fact that Anime Strike has 2-3 shows that you have to pay for on top of Prime. I think if strike was part of Prime people would be less grumpy. Of course course some people don't want any content locked away from the Crunchyroll sub.

I'll admit the former would make me grumpy too. But that's because I only have Prime Video to get anime. And to get my noitamina shows (plus a couple of extras) paying for Prime Video (or full prime) plus an extra 5$ a month for Strike would be a bridge too far. I hoped Strike was a signal that they'd be putting all their anime under that banner and the extra money would allow they go get more anime, including anime films. That hasn't happened so far.

duckroll

The fact that Anime Strike has a bunch of shows that you have to pay for on top of Prime. I think if strike was part of Prime people would be less grumpy. Of course course some people don't want any content locked away from the Crunchyroll sub.

But this whole round of "Fuck Anime Strike" seems prompted by an announcement that in the coming season Amazon has secured all shows on the Animeism slot for Amazon Prime Video -worldwide-. It doesn't make sense to me.

What? I never heard of this.

Like, Nanoha is on Anime Strike and I don't see any Nanoha shows available to stream in Canada with or without Prime.

Level E, Episodes 1-5: So I've started watching Level-E, kind of the forgotten series that Togashi made in between Yu Yu Hakusho and Hunter x Hunter. Best way I can describe it is the protagonist screws with people for the lawls. I'm watching the dub on Funimation and Vic Mignogna got cast as Prince Baka, which almost feels like eerily perfect casting since the character almost sees like an exaggerated version of himself.

New Game, Episode 2: Ok, I really like the shy senapi. The ending scenes with the coworkers going out to drink was a pretty nice scene.

Quasar

The whole two or three evil organizations trying to kill Natsume. I can't keep up with who is on what team and doing what, lol. Is the teacher a good or bad guy? Both?

I assume you mean Jin. He's a good guy I thought that was pretty obvious.

And none want to kill Natsume.

Quasar

But this whole round of "Fuck Anime Strike" seems prompted by an announcement that in the coming season Amazon has secured all shows on the Animeism slot for Amazon Prime Video -worldwide-. It doesn't make sense to me.

Oh...I was just talking about Strike more generally. I didn't really know there was a new round of anger especially for this announcement.

Well beyond it cause more reason to having to pay for an additional service, where it was a bit easier to ignore with only 2-3 shows. well at least if you aren't willing to return to fansubs.

I certainly prefer this over Netflix getting any more shows.

Though it makes it harder for me to justify Animelab, as much as I like those guys and their apps. This kind of announcement makes it harder for those guys to license enough shows.

JulianImp

But no one (in Amrica) is buying prime just for anime

But that's only for the US. Getting prime is probably useless for me due to living in Argentina, and I guess the same might be the case for several countries out there.

You're claiming that the anime package is just gravy on top of the regular prime benefits, but that argument is kinda useless if you aren't reaping any of those benefits in the first place, which means you'd be paying way more than in most other streaming services, and it sounds like Amazon's a bit worse than CR and company at delivering episodes in time.

Honestly, I don't blame nintendoman for being confused.

Amazon is often confusing in their messaging and their video streaming layout is just ass.

It's just ass people.

Anyway, new key visual for Blood Blockade Battlefront season 2.

DDipk_VEXUAAraj_I.jpg

Interesting. But when people say "Fuck Anime Strike" what are they even referring to? Because the announcement about Animeism clearly says it is on the Amazon Prime Video service. Not exclusively on Anime Strike. That's confusing to me because isn't this GOOD news rather than bad news? What are people mad about?

Besides anything else, I think a lot of people are invested in Crunchyroll having a monopoly over English-language anime streaming because Crunchyroll does a lot of outreach to the anime fan community whereas Amazon (and Netflix) do little to no outreach.

Bungou Stray Dogs - 01-03

So far it does deliver on the reaction faces, although it's not on the level of Ouran I'd say. But I suppose the character design and general art direction play into that as well and I'm not necessarily fond of the former. The action scenes were rather nice with lots of flourished effects.

Can't say the premise and characters made a particularly good impression so far. These different powers might look great from a visual standpoint but I expect loosely defined mechanics that'll just adapt to whatever looks cool and progress the plot as intended. I mean, Dazai can nullify the other powers and that alone should require some asspulls to get around and pose a threat.

The one downright negative aspect so far has been the excessive flashbacks to Atsushi's orphanage and the laughable evil caretakers. "The world would be a better place if you'd just die in a ditch somewhere!" lul

So far, enjoyable enough. I'll keep my expectations in check, though.

CR of course has issues but they provide a massive back catalog for free and make an effort to at least pick everything up regardless of how popular something will or won't be. There is stuff on the service that even at the height of fansubbing would have never gotten subbed like Heybot, those DTL card battoru shows and a whole bunch of other shit like 20 people watch.

I dont see Amazon doing anything but trying to strong arm their way in through force to be the only provider out there, like they always do. Locked behind a double paywall no less.

So what was the purpose of the lead of bbb? The outsider thrown into a crazy world to be the eyes of the viewer only works for so long in what was essentially a battle Shonen.

jbug617

Banned
I dont see Amazon doing anything but trying to strong arm their way in through force to be the only provider out there, like they always do. Locked behind a double paywall no less.

There was a reason why CR and Funi teamed up. They knew this was coming and hopefully they have some things planned.

zulux21

eh... I would say more weak arming it.

amazon has enough money and resources that if they really wanted to strong arm it they could.

I mean if there are rumors that funimation could be being bought out by sony, then no doubt amazon could do it if they wanted.

Overwhelm funimation with an offer (they seem to be worth somewhere between 15 and 100 million) and BOOM they are the biggest player in dubbed anime.

crunchyroll would be trickier as they are actually part of a larger company, but if amazon merely bought up all the decent shows for more than crunchy could pay that would deal with them.

I mean, by spending like 250 mil this year amazon could likely lock up the anime industry and have priority deals from here on out.

that sounds like a lot of money but it is roughly 10% of their net income from 2016.

it more seems like amazon is experimenting with the anime industry, and think they might be able to make a profit off it without really strong arming it. but we will see. I mean if they don't get the market share they want there are three logical things that could happen.

1. They give up and quit.
2. they try something different or keep going with what they want hoping it will click.
3. they go fine and flex their money muscles and just buy out the industry.

duckroll

Besides anything else, I think a lot of people are invested in Crunchyroll having a monopoly over English-language anime streaming because Crunchyroll does a lot of outreach to the anime fan community whereas Amazon (and Netflix) do little to no outreach.

So basically like Sony fans embarrassing themselves everytime a non-Sony console exclusive is announced?

zulux21

Amazon's Anime Strike channel announced its full lineup of summer simulcast titles and their premiere dates on Thursday.

Katsugeki! Tōken Ranbu: July 1
Love & Lies: July 3
DIVE!!: July 5
Altair: A Record of Battles: July 7
Vatican Miracle Examiner: July 7
Made in Abyss: July 7
Welcome to the Ballroom: July 8
Hitorijime My Hero: July 8
Princess Principal: July 9
Lights of the Clione: July 12
Hell Girl 4: July 14
In addition, Anime Strike will continue its stream of the Sagrada Reset, Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, and Re:CREATORS anime.

Of the summer titles that will stream on the channel, Sentai Filmworks has so far announced that it has licensed Love & Lies, Vatican Miracle Examiner, Made in Abyss, Hitorijime My Hero, and Princess Principal. Aniplex of America has licensed Katsugeki! Tōken Ranbu.

In the United States, users must subscribe separately to both the Amazon Prime Video service and its Anime Strike channel to view the streaming titles. For territories outside the United States, only an Amazon Prime Video subscription is required.

Amazon will stream the first episode of the Welcome to the Ballroom anime on the Twitch livestreaming website worldwide on July 6 at 9:30 p.m. EDT, with a special pre-show at 9:00 p.m. EDT. Anime Strike subscribers will also receive a free download of the first volume of Tomo Takeuchi's original Welcome to the Ballroom manga.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...ces-full-summer-lineup-premiere-dates/.118212

zulux21

Wow Funimation is getting pushed out hard.

especially since Fate/Apocrypha is aniplex and not on that list

I mean there are still a few series that can be decent left.
but crunchy/funi are clearly quite likely to have the inferior line up this season.

well sorta.
I mean funi still has MHA this season and they both still have one piece and dragon ball super. those might have more pull for subs than this entire anime season lol.

More like they're just focusing on dubs, and they have access to all of Crunchyroll's shows.

for the purpose of seasons anymore crunch = funi.

I think funi has basically simuldubbed everything crunchy picked up the last two seasons.
I don't imagine that will change any time soon as all signs are pointing towards simuldubs being quite successful for them.

not that surprising.
as someone who typically prefers dubs waiting a few weeks for dubs most of the time isn't a big deal (especially since if it turns out I really like the show I can just catch up in japanese after I run out of the dub and rewatch it as the dub comes out).
waiting a year plus though is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom