• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly

Crunchyroll itself is owned by Ellation, which is part of Otter Media, which is owned by AT&T and the Chernin Group. If Amazon wanted to buy Crunchyroll they'd have to negotiate with these companies. But there's no reason for Amazon to buy Crunchyroll.

I have to say it amazes me how crunchyroll went from this small website where people uploaded Japanese content to this big company.

I remember watching so many Gackt videos there back in 2004 and thought the website went to shit when it deleted everything and started anew without copyright issues.

Erheller

Tsuki ga Kirei - END

Thoughtful, earnest, and just too damn cute, this is the romance anime that we've needed for the longest time. It's a show that some people might write off for being too slow, but it's been the most consistently excellent show this season, and for good reason. This isn't a romantic comedy, but straight-up romance. No dude stumbling into another girl's boobs. No hemming and hawing for 25 episodes before finally kissing on the 26th. There's a love triangle, but it not only gets resolved quickly, but is also handled extremely well.

Just a week ago, I might have said that Tsuki ga Kirei may not have had the emotional highs of some of the other shows airing this season. But wow, that finale, and especially the last 10 minutes was such a rollercoaster.
Resolving Akane's and Kotaro's first fight through the novel was brilliant. It's not only a milestone for Kotaro, who's struggled with getting results with his writing, but it's a heartfelt, earnest piece about first love. It feels like a perfect representation of the show as a whole.

And that last scene just before the credits. There were so many wonderful little moments in there, like Kotaro almost opening up LINE but putting it away and hoping to tell Akane in person that he loves her. Not that I would have minded either way, but there were a few signs that were pointing to a Shinkai ending (the END of Kotaro's novel/story, "she was my first love", FUCKING TRAINS), which made the (kind of obvious) reveal about the LINE messages from every ED being Akane's and Kotaro's actually emotionally impactful.

Tsuki ga Kirei is the show I enjoyed the most this season by far, and I'm honestly surprised that more people aren't watching it, considering every thread about anime on OT whines about tropes and harems and shit
yeah I know that's usually code for "I liked my SUPER MANLY animus from the 90's and I don't want to spend time actually doing research on which shows to watch" but still

Kenstar

tumblr_mg647ndsbm1raihqfo1_500.jpg
Yasudaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

YASuda

zulux21

What are the odds of Amazon outright buying Crunchyroll in its entirety?

Would Crunchyroll subscriptions require Prime as well?

I'd say close to 0.

crunchyroll really wouldn't interest amazon much.
amazon already has their own streaming service so the streaming tech isn't worth anything to them.
the past shows aren't worth much for new subs, getting new shows are worth much more.
ect.

thus why I originally said they would focus on funimation.
both CR and funimation are likely worth a similar amount.
funimation brings with it though dubbing studios, voice actors, and manufacturing connections. All of which are quite useful for a company if they want their stuff to reach more people, and to sell the stuff they get on home video (as amazon already has a store/shipping network easily set up)

I'd say close to 0.

crunchyroll really wouldn't interest amazon much.
amazon already has their own streaming service so the streaming tech isn't worth anything to them.
the past shows aren't worth much for new subs, getting new shows are worth much more.
ect.

thus why I originally said they would focus on funimation.
both CR and funimation are likely worth a similar amount.
funimation brings with it though dubbing studios, voice actors, and manufacturing connections. All of which are quite useful for a company if they want their stuff to reach more people, and to sell the stuff they get on home video (as amazon already has a store/shipping network easily set up)

And they can probably just 'off' Crunchyroll by grabbing up more and more content every season, chokeholding Crunchyroll gradually. Funimation would be the better buy, unless Amazon has aspirations of developing their own dubbing studio with Sentai as a partner.

Cornbread78

Tsuki ga Kirei - END

Thoughtful, earnest, and just too damn cute, this is the romance anime that we've needed for the longest time. It's a show that some people might write off for being too slow, but it's been the most consistently excellent show this season, and for good reason. This isn't a romantic comedy, but straight-up romance. No dude stumbling into another girl's boobs. No hemming and hawing for 25 episodes before finally kissing on the 26th. There's a love triangle, but it not only gets resolved quickly, but is also handled extremely well.

Just a week ago, I might have said that Tsuki ga Kirei may not have had the emotional highs of some of the other shows airing this season. But wow, that finale, and especially the last 10 minutes was such a rollercoaster.
Resolving Akane's and Kotaro's first fight through the novel was brilliant. It's not only a milestone for Kotaro, who's struggled with getting results with his writing, but it's a heartfelt, earnest piece about first love. It feels like a perfect representation of the show as a whole.

And that last scene just before the credits. There were so many wonderful little moments in there, like Kotaro almost opening up LINE but putting it away and hoping to tell Akane in person that he loves her. Not that I would have minded either way, but there were a few signs that were pointing to a Shinkai ending (the END of Kotaro's novel/story, "she was my first love", FUCKING TRAINS), which made the (kind of obvious) reveal about the LINE messages from every ED being Akane's and Kotaro's actually emotionally impactful.

Tsuki ga Kirei is the show I enjoyed the most this season by far, and I'm honestly surprised that more people aren't watching it, considering every thread about anime on OT whines about tropes and harems and shit
yeah I know that's usually code for "I liked my SUPER MANLY animus from the 90's and I don't want to spend time actually doing research on which shows to watch" but still

I agree on everything.. This show was really, really well done from start to finish. Most peeps here are not high on "romance" animu after the continual failures that have been put out over the past few years. I'm more accepting of some of those, but this one is a much more mature and subtle romance that takes it's characters and their circumstances seriously with a huge touch of sincerity and respect at that...

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls Theater - END

I've not exactly made it a secret that this show disappointed me. Half of it was literally just telling us who a character is (like yawn. If this is a show for fans, surely they already know this stuff) and the rest was badly directed/timed jokes which killed them stone dead. Heck, the final web episode almost had a decent joke, circumventing the whole 'idols pining after the producer' aspect which I'm not a fan of. But the timing for the punchline was so badly done it just leaves you going "oh yeah, there's the joke. I guess that's in theory amusing".

Here's the sad truth. This moment from the PV:

M1E85fJ.gif

That was literally the highlight of the whole thing.

They played their best hand before the show was even out.

I'd struggle to recommend this to even fans of the iDOLM@STER. Stick with Puchimas; a show that actually does play around with its cast of characters with amusing antics (and a better P)

Cornbread78

Interviews with Monster Girls ep.13
It's happening!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Yes, YES!!!
however, we got the norm; this show is such a tease!

Very fun show; I really enjoy this cast! We definitely got some fireworks this episode!!!

Happy Summer!

Not sure why this was labeled ep,13, outside of the fact that they
introduced a new monster girl
at the end which sets things up for a season 2! This was a full teaser for it... right?!?!

Cornbread78

Symphogearr GX 3

Two course meal where the first was a pile of ham and the second was beef stroganoff.

Ya know, it's been awhile since I've had that.

Might have to cook some up this week. Then take a couple hour drive to IKEA for some Swedish Meatballs!

I have to say it amazes me how crunchyroll went from this small website where people uploaded Japanese content to this big company.

I remember watching so many Gackt videos there back in 2004 and thought the website went to shit when it deleted everything and started anew without copyright issues.

2004 is almost 15 years ago,

Narag

I was thinking the same... like, why Twich. Then I remebered Twitch was bought by Amazon, so I see now why, it's their series of the season so maybe from now onwards they will do this with other series.

BTW, the series surely will be decently popular.

twitch would be a good step in the community outreach direction i've seen brought up. like if they hosted some single cour catalog marathon some night that anyone could access and have fun watching with friends etc rather just episode premiers

Szadek

Fukumenkei Noise
Despite the many problem the show has, I really liked it.
I can see why some people would hate, while other would love it.

The low production values are hard to excuse, but if you forgive that, the next obstacle are the characters.
They are all pretty strange, especially the main character. She kind of lives in her own world.
Some people might hates these charcters, because they can't relate tho them, but I found that part of them very endearing.

The next big problem that many hate about it series is the meldodrama and misunderstandings.
Personally I think it works here, because all that stuff is a result of who these characters are.

That should be enough negativity, let's talk about a few thing the anime does right.
First the music is great and seeing Nino going berserk on stage were highlights of this season for me.
The pacing of the story is also very good. We learn something new or something interesting happens every episode.

Fukumenkei Noise has so many flaws, it's not easy to recommand, but if you are a fan of romance/music anime, you might really like this one.
If you don't like it by episode 3, you can savely drop it.

Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul - Ep. 11-12
The last episode were great and pretty well animated as well, but the jumo from a fun escape scene to a war between angels and humans was jarring.
I'm not saving an anime can't have both, but in the same episode?

Little Witch Academia (TV)
Pretty decent finally. Not one of triggers best anime, but it was still fun.
If you love the movies and you really want more, you might as well watch the series.

phaze

Bungou Stray Dogs - 01-03

So far it does deliver on the reaction faces, although it's not on the level of Ouran I'd say. But I suppose the character design and general art direction play into that as well and I'm not necessarily fond of the former. The action scenes were rather nice with lots of flourished effects.

Can't say the premise and characters made a particularly good impression so far. These different powers might look great from a visual standpoint but I expect loosely defined mechanics that'll just adapt to whatever looks cool and progress the plot as intended. I mean, Dazai can nullify the other powers and that alone should require some asspulls to get around and pose a threat.

The one downright negative aspect so far has been the excessive flashbacks to Atsushi's orphanage and the laughable evil caretakers. "The world would be a better place if you'd just die in a ditch somewhere!" lul

So far, enjoyable enough. I'll keep my expectations in check, though.

A healthy attitude to be sure. Just heads up, there is some episodic fluff immediately ahead that wasn't all that engaging IIRC, it gets better circa #08-#10.

-------
No one posted about some Junji Ito thing seemingly getting adapted ?

Qurupeke

Virgin Soul 13
That was fucking awesome. A lot of good action, big explosions and Nina's relationship with Charioce continues to be entertaining, even in the middle of the battle. Since Azazel's absence the show has become a lot more enjoyable, who knew!

Also, it's interesting how Charioce isn't presented exactly as a bad guy. We're still missing vital information about his exact motives, and I doubt he'll have a total redemption, but I could see him acting for a higher purpose, besides elevating humanity. I'd also argue his self sacrifice seems to imply he's much more than a power hungry king. And of course, there's a very human side to him, as he seems to genuinely care for Nina.

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
Hey, thank you cornbread and ascheroth for the warm welcome :)

I'll definitely take a look at MyAnimeList as per your suggestion.

When it comes to genres, I'm not fussy. I like action, drama, comedy, etc.
It might be easier to give an idea by mentioning the things I've watched in the last few years that I quite liked?

The stuff that I've seen recently that I really enjoyed without reservation, would be One Punch Man, Erased (on MAL it's called Boku dake ga Inai Machi), Usagi Drop, and just really recently, I watched some of Atom: The Beginning, which I loved (but I was a big Astroboy fan as a kid so that could just be the nostalgia talking). Attack On Titan has been pretty good from what I've watched so far, too. I watched about 20 episodes of that last year.

On the "good, but..." front, I enjoyed the music from 'Your Lie in April' immensely, and it had some funny moments, too, but I don't know if the high-school-teen-angst stuff interested me as much. I recently watched what seems to be considered a classic in Cowboy Bebop. I liked it well enough but maybe I expected too much from it - might have been a case of not being able to live up to the amount of hype it seems to have.

Classic/older anime I remember liking but I'm not sure I can trust my memory: Lupin the 3rd movies I remember liking, Dragon Ball Z had its moments (but oh so much filler), Pokemon was good in small doses (though it does tend to tell the same stories every generation). I watched Evangelion back in the day and there was stuff I liked (but also more teen angst which I found unappealing). Trigun started off funny and interesting but it got weird. I saw an episode of Samurai Champloo where they played baseball which was hilarious, so I think I want to watch more of that show.

So uh, that's a wall of barely-intelligible text. Sorry 'bout that.
Anyways, that's stuff I can think of that I've liked (with or without caveats). I've also seen maybe 5 or 10 full-length animated films - I'm not going to name them because I'm honestly pretty happy to try basically any animated feature-length film you recommend, since they are 1-2 hours long.

If anyone here's able to make sense of what I've written above, and has some recommendations, love to hear them. Thanks!

Kado 12 (End)

This got so silly so fast. It still entertained, but for entirely different reasons from why I started it. Kind of a waste.

Hanamori MVP though, screw those guys for denying him at the end.

Quasar

The long version:

I live in Australia and have been using a streaming service called Animelab, and I've heard of Crunchyroll, though I understand that the AU content selection is quite limited.

Not really. There's a handful of shows Australia doesn't get and usually they are shows that AnimeLab gets.

There's probably more back catalogue shows that Crunchyroll doesn't have the Aussie rights for. But that's less so now than in the past.

I do use a DNS proxy though, but I got that (getflix) when proxies worked with Netflix.

Cornbread78

Hey, thank you cornbread and ascheroth for the warm welcome :)
I'll definitely take a look at MyAnimeList as per your suggestion.
If anyone here's able to make sense of what I've written above, and has some recommendations, love to hear them. Thanks!

Got ya:

Action/Adventure:
Full Metal Alchemist
Fate/Zero
Gurren Leggan
Moribito

Fantasy:
Re;Zero
Sword Art Online (milage may very; Gary Stu MC/harem/blah, blah, blah...)
Is it OK to Pick Up Girls in a Dungeon
Tales of Zestiria the X
Alderamin of the Sky

Sci-Fi
Steins;Gate
Shinsekei Yori
Gargantia
Kokoro Connect

Romance/Drama:
Clannad/Clannad After Story (first half is pretty HS focused, second half is post HS and amazing in the feels dept)
Ore Monogatari (romance)
Spice and Wolf (romance)
Nodame Cantabile (romance)
Itazura na Kiss (romance)
Nana (drama)
One Week Friends (drama)
Golden Time (romance)
Anohana (drama, some agnst, lot of feels)

Comedy/ Slice of Life:
Konosuba (comedy)
Working (1-3) (SoL)
New Game (SoL)
Silver Spoon SoL/comedy)
Sabagebu! (comedy)

Because you have to:
Madoka
Code Geass
Future Diary
Heavy Object
Etotama (just stupid fun)