• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

hmmmm
HIDIVE will stream Made in Abyss outside of the United States, in: the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Central America, and South America. The site will stream the series on Fridays at 2:00 p.m. UTC starting on July 7. Amazon's Anime Strike service is streaming the series in the United States starting on July 7.

seems like amazon only has made in the abyss for the US.

that won't make things more confusing at all lol

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...-girl-high-school-made-in-abyss-anime/.118215

duckroll

Whoa, what happened between them?

Nothing. Daisuki was an initiative setup by the Japanese companies themselves. It mostly failed because as most people can guess, Japanese companies aren't very good at understanding the needs of audiences outside of Japan and meeting their expectations. So the big players involved in Daisuki are now actively looking for alternatives - like once again partnering with services who actually know wtf they are doing in the competing space. :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Nothing. Daisuki was an initiative setup by the Japanese companies themselves. It mostly failed because as most people can guess, Japanese companies aren't very good at understanding the needs of audiences outside of Japan and meeting their expectations. So the big players involved in Daisuki are now actively looking for alternatives - like once again partnering with services who actually know wtf they are doing in the competing space. :p
It's weird because this is like if Hulu didn't air all of NBC/Fox's programming. I don't get why they didn't dump everything they had in the vault onto the service.

Funny enough, it's a lot like Seeso, the NBC service no one gives a shit about.

duckroll

It's weird because this is like if Hulu didn't air all of NBC/Fox's programming. I don't get why they didn't dump everything they had in the vault onto the service.

Funny enough, it's a lot like Seeso, the NBC service no one gives a shit about.

It's very simple - because they had no idea how to run it. You see, in Japan the business of streaming isn't a pay once subscription for a huge library. It's on-demand PPV digital rentals. So these companies all have either their own services in Japan or tie-ups with Japanese services where they have huge back catalogs available, but you pay for every episode you want to watch. If they were to just drop it all for free or at a cheap subscription price somewhere else, there would be perceived panic between partners. :japan:

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's very simple - because they had no idea how to run it. You see, in Japan the business of streaming isn't a pay once subscription for a huge library. It's on-demand PPV digital rentals. So these companies all have either their own services in Japan or tie-ups with Japanese services where they have huge back catalogs available, but you pay for every episode you want to watch. If they were to just drop it all for free or at a cheap subscription price somewhere else, there would be perceived panic between partners. :japan:
Are all the producers there panicking now that Netflix is funding shows in Japan and airing jdramas? Even if they are aired weekly on the service? They must have no idea what to do. lol

But maybe that also explains why Crunchyroll is selling anime on Steam. That must be Japan's wet dream.

blurr

Daisuki's made quite a few shows available here, I was honestly surprised to see but I guess I had really low expectations at that point.

Speaking of which, I should really come up with a list of services that provide anime legally for viewing in my region. Considering how few shows are available, I should be able to compile a list of shows as well.

/XX/

Well, as long as the Japanese government foot the bill in full I suppose the former partner companies won't be too fussed about it... except BANDAI NAMCO Holdings Inc., that was ready to pick up the pieces on the cheap and really try to make it work. One thing is to play using "daddy's money" to waste, but that doesn't work post the start-up funding phase of the plan! :-D

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Well, as long as the Japanese government foot the bill in full I suppose the former partner companies won't be too fused about it... except BANDAI NAMCO Holdings Inc., that was ready to pick up the pieces on the cheap and really try to make it work. One thing is to play using "daddy's money" to waste, but that doesn't work post the start-up funding phase of the plan! :-D
I forgot that this was a government funded venture. lol

Cornbread78

Whelp, sounds like Amazon is doing their best to shrink the anime market in the US.

When does the next round of S&D letters and law suits go out from Amazon to all the third party streaming and torrent sites?

Quasar

What are the odds of Amazon outright buying Crunchyroll in its entirety?

Would Crunchyroll subscriptions require Prime as well?

I did wonder why Amazon didn't do that in the first place if they wanted to get into anime. It would seem easier to just buy the leader in the space than try and build up your own.

Quasar

Much more likely Funimation will. Consolidate to fight off the behemoths.

Its interesting. I saw Funi in the weaker position, desperately clingly clinging to CR to stay relevant. And kind of expect them to return to just being discs for collectors and just licensing their dubs to others, be it Amazon, Netflix or whoever else survives.

What are the odds of Amazon outright buying Crunchyroll in its entirety?

Would Crunchyroll subscriptions require Prime as well?

Crunchyroll itself is owned by Ellation, which is part of Otter Media, which is owned by AT&T and the Chernin Group. If Amazon wanted to buy Crunchyroll they'd have to negotiate with these companies. But there's no reason for Amazon to buy Crunchyroll.

Tsukigakirei 12 END

I thought they would at least see each other from the train. He could have messaged her at least.

All Line messages scenes and names they were calling each other in the subject lines were great, sweet story. Though I wish we saw some of the other classmates again and knew their fates, or if he had actually managed to succeed as a writer (though since he seemed to have a salaried job I guess not???).

Also felt a bit too dramatic for a move that just puts them at two hour train ride away. Could easily see each other on weekends.

Soon the best anime will be upon us, help.
DDkeLivXYAEyVPJ.jpg

Cornbread78

Tsuki ga Kirei- END
That ending kinda threw me off a little and I really wanted to punch Kota for not going after her. But that was still a damn cute ending. It would have been interesting to see a full second season that skimmed through the HS years and into adulthood, but I'll take the short epilogue.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Aniplex's relationship with Netflix is growing stronger each season as they begin to distance themselves from the failure that is Daisuki.

Netflix also consistently puts out dubs of Aniplex anime before blu ray releases. F/SN dubbed was on Netflix a month before the blu ray release.

jesus christ at Netflix's launch of LWA

only 13

some episodes have dubs some don't

They don't give a fuck.

I think you may have jumped the gun. I just went through all the episodes and they all have dubs as far as I could tell. It was likely an upload error at first.

kewlmyc

only 13

They don't give a fuck.

I assume the dub is an error, but only 13 episodes is weird. They could have put the 13 episodes up last season if that was the case instead of waiting until all 24/26 were done.

Qurupeke

Kado [END]

lmao I think I was surprised, it was more anime than I expected.
It felt like a big Shindo shipping war, with a clear winner.

Least100Seraphs

Neo Member
Hey anime people.

I don't want to derail any conversations, just looking to get some suggestions, advice, etc., but I recognise that this might not be the best way to ask, so apologies if I'm messing up the joint. I don't intend to hijack the conversation, so I'm happy to get PMs rather than in-thread replies if it helps preserve the flow of discussion in this topic.

The short version is I'm looking for recommended sources of anime and recommended review sites where I can find out what's out there at the moment that's possibly something I'd like to watch.

The long version:

I live in Australia and have been using a streaming service called Animelab, and I've heard of Crunchyroll, though I understand that the AU content selection is quite limited. I am happy to pay for streaming services, and willing to spend on a VPN if it gets me access to more/better content. What I don't have, is a lot of free time, so ideally I'd also like to watch series that are low on "filler" content, like fan service and expository banter. Hence the interest in knowing of review sites, preferably ones that would inform me about whether a series has issues with filler slowing down the delivery of the storyline.

Again, apologies for asking for what are likely very common questions. Thanks for any info you can give!

Cornbread78

Hey anime people.

I don't want to derail any conversations, just looking to get some suggestions, advice, etc., but I recognise that this might not be the best way to ask, so apologies if I'm messing up the joint. I don't intend to hijack the conversation, so I'm happy to get PMs rather than in-thread replies if it helps preserve the flow of discussion in this topic.

The short version is I'm looking for recommended sources of anime and recommended review sites where I can find out what's out there at the moment that's possibly something I'd like to watch.

The long version:

I live in Australia and have been using a streaming service called Animelab, and I've heard of Crunchyroll, though I understand that the AU content selection is quite limited. I am happy to pay for streaming services, and willing to spend on a VPN if it gets me access to more/better content. What I don't have, is a lot of free time, so ideally I'd also like to watch series that are low on "filler" content, like fan service and expository banter. Hence the interest in knowing of review sites, preferably ones that would inform me about whether a series has issues with filler slowing down the delivery of the storyline.

Again, apologies for asking for what are likely very common questions. Thanks for any info you can give!

Welcome. you're in the right place!

This is an easy one. Either ask us, or you can go to a site like MAL:

https://myanimelist.net/anime/season

psyer

I think that Crunchyroll needs the competition as they have not really improved on their core product for at least 3 years and potentially more. One example is Amazon introduce offline viewing of Prime Video and all of sudden Crunchyroll decides to follow suit. Crunchyroll still continues has video/website issues and Amazon beats them out of the park with that.

Right now, I feel the only thing CR has for them is the backlog (until licensing agreement expires), convenience, and price.

Crunchyroll is not the company they were back then. From what speculation I read, most of the developers have moved over to the Ellation side and are focused on working on the VRV side of the company. Whereas CR side is essentially the PR/Marketing/support side of it. I wonder whether they are going to try to push more people from CR to the VRV platform. Also, I remember reading rumors that CR do not pay their translators that well for shows they actually translate compared to their competitors.

I don't think Amazon's double paywall is the right move too and they have a lot of issues too.

However, I feel there seems to be the blanket thought that any competitor that is not CR are terrible.

People seem to want convenience, speed, and low cost even if the product is substandard and lower quality.

On the Crunchyroll/Funimation discussion, if Netflix and Amazon continue to be aggressive in aqcuisitions, I wouldn't be surprised if talks do pop up at the two considering a merger. Leaving a Home Video Distribution and Dubbing to Funimation while Crunchyroll takes over the streaming.

only 13

They don't give a fuck.

PSDxRBP.gif

Gulz1992

only 13

They don't give a fuck.

Wait, some episodes have dubs? I thought there wasn't any dub at all yet. If this is the case, than what the hell.

Edit: Also stupid as hell that they waited this long to release it and it's not even all the episodes.

New promo pic for the Universe Survival arc now that the tourney has begun

DDjdxUUXsAAw6vZ.jpg

"The work of the Gods ends here"

That sounds like Goku who is posing like Akuma is going to make some good decisions

Wait, some episodes have dubs? I thought there wasn't any dub at all yet. If this is the case, than what the hell.

Edit: Also stupid as hell that they waited this long to release it and it's not even all the episodes.

I just checked every episode again. They all have dubs. It was likely a brief error when they were uploaded.

Ascheroth

Hey anime people.

The long version:

Just away in this thread for recommendations. What genres do you like? What do you dislike? Etc. That's totally the right place for this.
Just notice the official RWBY light novel will be a complete original story.

How original? well, it's beach episode!
http://gagagabunko.jp/release/index.html#05
Heh, I could tell the artist without even looking at the name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom