• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess he is talking about the show I am watching and yes, it's Amagami SS and yes, you follow the MC who manage to get all the main girls in their own arc like you're playing those Japanese dating game but minus the hentai stuff you see in those dating game.

So a visual novel without the fun bits :p

John Blade

So a visual novel without the fun bits :p

Basically. Not hatting it so far but taking the Visual novel format and put it into anime is odd to watch. Kinda like you don't have to do much except to watch the decision made for you and you see the best ending which is what this anime is from the look of it.

Amagami was never an eroge. It was only on PS2 if I'm not mistaken.

Yup. I think Ps2 is the only console it was release for this. Judging from what I have watch, I guess it might be wise to leave this back to Visual novel game side unless you stick with one of the main girls all the way and develop her more. Still, you can't win all the fans if you do it so, you get this anime. Like I say, I am still early (2 girls arc have complete, 4 to go) and still have to watch the OVA and SS+ before I can say much of this.

Sakura Quest Episode 1

Another slow start, probably saved only by the silly moment at the end with Yoshio wanting to race back to Tokyo and doing the random monster quest in the middle of the road.

I liked Hiro Shimono character, and the (K)NoW_NAME music was great.

Saga of Tanya the evil END

You know what that ending was pretty great! I loved the way they approached the *end* of the war and how there carelessness came back to bite them. That ending with Tanya chewing up god, calling BS on her all her superiors and Mary Sue(finally making her dumb father extremely stupid actions worth it) poping up was very good. SO! Now that the show finally got rolling...when is the next episode? Oh wait probably never. I really don't see this show selling well(what's the market for loli commander?), so unless season 2 already got signed or something this will be an annoying ending.

Kado- 2

This is such an unusual show more so than even something like Rakugo, maybe closer to Flowers of Evil I guess. This episode consisted almost entirely of talking/dialogue and I was engrossed the entire time. This is a weird comparison considering how drastically different the shows are in regards to every facet, but it reminds me of Legion. The reason I'm thinking that is because Kado, like Legion, seems desperate to get rid of its viewers. Now some people are going to interpret the previous comment as a negative but for me that's some of the highest praise I can give it. That's because the show isn't trying to snare you with action, fanservice, or any other type of pandering. Either you're on board with the concept or not.

For a number of people, I imagine this episode is going to be too slow. However I'm loving the focus on communication. It's not as abstract as something like in Fafner but for a show centered around negotiating, that aspect is key. There was some thought put behind how a first contact situation would play out with beings as absurdly advanced as Yaha-kui za Shunina (this name is way too hard to remember) in that Yaha tries to psychically talk with Shindo then progresses to noise before picking up speech. Speaking of negotiation, I thought the way this scene was handled was somewhat interesting. Now normally I hate a scenario where the characters either know more or less than the audience as it hurts immersion to an extent. However for this show, it's as if the directors are purposefully withholding information from the audience so as to make the negotiations more 'balanced' so the audience might not be predisposed to one side or another. The audience is going to learn the information at the same time the Japanese negotiators and government will.

This is a show where you know the staff knows this is totally going to bomb sales-wise but the staff is doing it for the love of the genre. I just appreciate that someone is trying to tell an intellectual scifi thriller. The story behind this production must be pretty interesting. How did this end up at Toei for example and not IG?

The impetus for this production seems to be wholly from Toei. The companies listed on the copyrights and the production committee are Toei Animation, Kinoshita Group (who have been involved in a lot of Toei CG film projects), and Toei (the parent company of Toei Animation). The producer is Kouichi Noguchi, whose previous project was Expelled from Paradise. My guess is that after that film came out in 2014, Noguchi decided he would put together another science fiction CG project, gathered together a few key people such as Murata and Mado Nozaki, and then eventually came up with this. But that's just a supposition without reading interviews.

duckroll

Kado- 2

This is a show where you know the staff knows this is totally going to bomb sales-wise but the staff is doing it for the love of the genre. I just appreciate that someone is trying to tell an intellectual scifi thriller. The story behind this production must be pretty interesting. How did this end up at Toei for example and not IG?

This is nonsense tho. If the staff knows this will bomb sales-wise, they would be making it in the cheapest way possible instead of spending so much on things which I don't think even makes a difference to the audience. There's no reason for this to be a majority CG production. It simply costs far more than it would as a traditional anime, and there aren't even any lavish set pieces or scenes which justify the use of mainly CG production, since that's where you generally get the most bang for your buck in terms of doing scenes which look good that might require more experienced traditional animators.

Clearly Toei is being very aggressive with their CG Animation division, and this is just another vehicle for it. I hear it was originally supposed to be a movie, but somehow it got turned into a series instead. Wonder if we'll ever get the story on that. Lol.

Jarmel

Banned
Clearly Toei is being very aggressive with their CG Animation division, and this is just another vehicle for it. I hear it was originally supposed to be a movie, but somehow it got turned into a series instead. Wonder if we'll ever get the story on that. Lol.
If that was the case though then why are there 2D cuts mixed in there as well? Not to mention, as you said, this is a very subdued production for a CG work so why would you use this to highlight your studio?

Also has there even been a big marketing push for this in Japan?

duckroll

If that was the case though then why are there 2D cuts mixed in there as well?

There were actually extensive interviews with the creators before the show aired. I only skimmed a few of them, but I do recall Ryochimo talking about this aspect in particular. It was either in one of the interviews or on Twitter or something. I'm working off memory entirely here, but I think he said that they were experimenting a lot with mixing 2D and 3D in the production pipeline, because it was difficult to do so much character animation in CG or something. He specifically said that there is a 2D (iirc digital) team in the studio which they expanded to work on the show iirc.

Jarmel

Banned
There were actually extensive interviews with the creators before the show aired. I only skimmed a few of them, but I do recall Ryochimo talking about this aspect in particular. It was either in one of the interviews or on Twitter or something. I'm working off memory entirely here, but I think he said that they were experimenting a lot with mixing 2D and 3D in the production pipeline, because it was difficult to do so much character animation in CG or something. He specifically said that there is a 2D (iirc digital) team in the studio which they expanded to work on the show iirc.

So maybe this was an experiment project that ended up getting released? I can't imagine they had high marketing hopes for this.

Kado Episode 2

So CG Rahxehpon?

lol

But damn this show is so fucking good.The intrigue is palpable and my interest is peaked. I can't say too much about the show overall other than "it's great" since there is so much we don't know. But it is told in such an engaging way. So many things to be answered.

Atom the Beginning

Surprise of the season for me thus far. Really good show. I adore the sound design with Atom and everything. Pretty light hearted but the characters are really fun and I enjoy rooting for Hiroshi and Umataro.

duckroll

So maybe this was an experiment project that ended up getting released? I can't imagine they had high marketing hopes for this.

I don't know. The entire show is an enigma. Even the marketing is an enigma. It's not that they're not spending any money on marketing it at all, they seem to be, but the marketing is like... anti-anime. Instead of promoting the characters, or story, or even showing any footage at all, every single piece of advertising I have seen for the show in the past year has been either something averaging the intrigue of the show (ie: "what is this even about?!" viral wom stuff) or straight up technical production stuff that tries to show as little of the actual show as possible while talking up how it is being made. Very strange.

Saga of Tanya the evil END

You know what that ending was pretty great! I loved the way they approached the *end* of the war and how there carelessness came back to bite them. That ending with Tanya chewing up god, calling BS on her all her superiors and Mary Sue(finally making her dumb father extremely stupid actions worth it) poping up was very good. SO! Now that the show finally got rolling...when is the next episode? Oh wait probably never. I really don't see this show selling well(what's the market for loli commander?), so unless season 2 already got signed or something this will be an annoying ending.

The first blu-ray volume should be releasing in Japan next week, so we should get an indicator how well it actually did soon.

I know Tanya was consistently ranking in those Newtype Character polls while airing so it seems like the show got a well enough reception amongst that type of crowd lol

so is funimation's servers not working for anyone else?

I've been watching Michiko & Hatchin for the past few hours, though through their browser player.

The first blu-ray volume should be releasing in Japan next week, so we should get an indicator how well it actually did soon.

I know Tanya was consistently ranking in those Newtype Character polls while airing so it seems like the show got a well enough reception amongst that type of crowd lol
If you say so! I just don't see a market for this.
-----------------

I'm fairly happy with the reception of MHA s2 so far. Baring episode 1 and the quick nay-nay sayers, the anime thread has been positive. Hopefully this keeps up! Because I think this new season started tremendously well. The animation and the hype is off the charts.

Clov

With all these positive impressions of Kado, I think I'll start watching it when I get back to watching anime this week.

Also, I finished P5 yesterday. Loved it! It even topped the P2 games for me.

I'm fairly happy with the reception of MHA s2 so far. Baring episode 1 and the quick nay-nay sayers, the anime thread has been positive. Hopefully this keeps up! Because I think this new season started tremendously well. The animation and the hype is off the charts.

Season 2 has pretty much been meeting my expectations so far, so I've also been enjoying the experience.

Atom the Beginning

Surprise of the season for me thus far. Really good show. I adore the sound design with Atom and everything. Pretty light hearted but the characters are really fun and I enjoy rooting for Hiroshi and Umataro.

FINALLY someone else who appreciates Atom. I really enjoyed the first episode, but my Wife isn't too into it and I saw mostly negative posts here. Glad to see I'm not the only one who had a good time with it.

Jarmel

Banned
Opening two shots of Atom:
BBvDYgB.jpg

z9sMmYh.jpg
Oh so they do know why I'm watching.

FINALLY someone else who appreciates Atom. I really enjoyed the first episode, but my Wife isn't too into it and I saw mostly negative posts here. Glad to see I'm not the only one who had a good time with it.

The limited number of viewers sure did not help the positive/negative ratio. I can't even watch it yet....If amazon could maybe had it eventually :(

Cornbread78

Ai Yori Aoshi ep.5-6
Kaoru is building quite tge group of ladies around him for a college kid. Of course you have to feel bad for him fiance Aoi having to deal with it all. At least these episodes brought on some good conedic moments with the new cast introductions..

blurr

Kado- 2

This is such an unusual show more so than even something like Rakugo, maybe closer to Flowers of Evil I guess. This episode consisted almost entirely of talking/dialogue and I was engrossed the entire time. This is a weird comparison considering how drastically different the shows are in regards to every facet, but it reminds me of Legion. The reason I'm thinking that is because Kado, like Legion, seems desperate to get rid of its viewers. Now some people are going to interpret the previous comment as a negative but for me that's some of the highest praise I can give it. That's because the show isn't trying to snare you with action, fanservice, or any other type of pandering. Either you're on board with the concept or not.

Guess I should start this.

Kyuur

Your Name

Film was really, really good. Definitely deserves all the success its getting. Was pleasantly surprised that the theater was half to three quarters full on a Wednesday evening for a subbed anime movie with dub available separately, especially considering how long its been since release. Hopefully this will have an impact on us getting more subbed feature films.

Sakura Quest 2-3

All the girls/ministers are together and Yoshi has finally resolved to stay for the time being. The main characters and town are charming, it makes for a nice feel good show.

Happy to hear it'll be two cours.

WorldEnd: What do you do at the end of the world? Are you busy? Will you save us? (SukaSuka) 2

Great world building and setup so far. This one also has endearing characters, which makes all of the inevitable tragedies even more depressing. Especially when combined with what we've seen in the cold open of the previous episode and the OP.

Could've done without the massage scene, but I'll let it slide.

Clockwork Planet 2

This was better, but still pretty bad.

The World of Yamizukan 3

These are all just bad. They struggle to tell engaging or even scary stories in 4 minutes.

Quick Hits time:

Gin no Guardian 03

The MMO they revealed sounded like the absolute worst game ever. "Pay more money for power!" Who the fuck has that as your opening statement?

SukaSuka 02

Enjoyed the MC's reaction to the one girl nearly fucking dying after falling off a cliff. I feel his attempts to humanize them are destined to end tragically though.

Sakura Quest 03

Yoshino has stopped bitching and is actually becoming more sympathetic to the villagers. Keep this up and I may actually like you.

Frame Arms Girl 03

I wanted the S&M yuri twins to win, I call bullshit on this fight.

Akashic Records 03

I'd probably dislike Sensei if his personality was done any other way because outside that he's your typical OP MC that I usually hate.

Sagrada Reset 02-03

Gotta say I figured this would end badly but I didn't expect
smug girl to just randomly die in an accident.
Funny you'd think that'd make me wiser about resetting yet if you ask me the next episode doesn't prove that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom