• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Line_HTX

A little surprised that P.A. Works will go two cours for Sakura Quest. Oh well, more Mike Hattsu's countryside touring I guess!

Qurupeke

Katanagatari 1
ekvDzwz.jpg
rG0Izq4.jpg

mjwIexu.jpg
rrGoQW2.jpg

OP is really pretty.
I'm not sure why I hadn't watched this earlier as it's an anime really close to my liking. And it's from Nisio Isin, so it kind of makes up for the lack of new -gatari at the moment.

Despite the double length, this proved to be a very enjoyable start. The dialogues are rather playful and all of the characters that were introduced are really unique, making even what was basically exposition interesting. To be entirely honest, some of the names and the objectives have gone over my head, but I think I've caught the basic gist of who is who and what their deal is. An intriguing premise nonetheless.

Characters aside, the visual department is the show's best part. Cute and almost minimalistic art design, a palette full of colours, yet there's a strong sense of detail on what's important, like the swords, the fights or even the island. The action is very good too, though this was one of the things I already knew before jumping to the show.

Looking forward to Togame's and Shichika's future interactions on their journey. Feels like they'll be the show's prime hook for me.

The characters under the male gaze are the 14/15 year olds rather than the kids but that's a small mercy not helped by the clear age gap between them and the MC. I'll still be watching as the writing is holding up, the small kids are really cute, and the MC isn't interested romantically in the older girls. It's just I now know it's going to involve some pandering per episode, as of yet it hasn't overwhelmed the parts I like but ymmv so I'd say give it a shot. I'm hoping it goes for the Gunslinger Girl's "tragic stolen life" angle with regards to the girl's desire for dating/boys/etc rather than developing in other ways but usually if a show is going that way someone would have posted warning spoilers from the LN by now.

Well LN volume 2 is more old-school fantasy feel, at least that's what i think after i read it.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Boruto: Naruto Next Generations Episode 3

So we are formally introduced to the character of Metal Lee who at this point is basically one big metaphor for performance anxiety.

pbayne

Finishing up on last season stuff

Gundam IBO S2 End

Boy that ending. It was weird how unimportant the show stressed that the main characters, Tekkadan, actually were in the end. They started as henchmen...and ended as henchmen. It was actually a somewhat refreshing angle for the story.
Overall it was just okay for me, mainly because i didn''t like any of the characters or found many of them interesting outside of Orga really.

Gintama whatever end

Shrug. Plot had some moments but fuck its so dour now and it's really visually unappealing/boring. Tell some jokes.

Maid Dragon 1-8

There's something about this that makes it very watchable. Mainly Fafnir. I dunno its not really that funny, or cute and its little heart-warming moments are a bit stupid but i still have fun watching it.

Now i gots to catch up on Rakugo.

Katanagatari 1

I'm not sure why I hadn't watched this earlier as it's an anime really close to my liking. And it's from Nisio Isin, so it kind of makes up for the lack of new -gatari at the moment.

Despite the double length, this proved to be a very enjoyable start. The dialogues are rather playful and all of the characters that were introduced are really unique, making even what was basically exposition interesting. To be entirely honest, some of the names and the objectives have gone over my head, but I think I've caught the basic gist of who is who and what their deal is. An intriguing premise nonetheless.

Characters aside, the visual department is the show's best part. Cute and almost minimalistic art design, a palette full of colours, yet there's a strong sense of detail on what's important, like the swords, the fights or even the island. The action is very good too, though this was one of the things I already knew before jumping to the show.

Looking forward to Togame's and Shichika's future interactions on their journey. Feels like they'll be the show's prime hook for me.

It was really jarring to see White Fox go from this show to Steins;Gate in regards to color and art. In fact I don't think they've made anything so refreshing ever since.

duckroll

Granblue Fantasy - Episode 3

This show is good. You know it's good because it's based on a very popular mobile game. Good art. Good characters. Good music. Good effects. Very enjoyable. The only problem with the show is that it doesn't feel like it emphasizes the gambling theme enough.

Youjo Senki

I was promised Aoi Yuuki at her cackling best and it delivered, I really liked the animation and the CGI elements blended pretty well for my tastes. It was odd that the more stylised visual representations were reserved for Tanya and her subordinate but they worked for me especially as the overly large mouth on Tanya made for some great wicked grins. I have a huge soft spot for the OP and ED tunes too as they're right on my trashy electronic tastes.

The character writing was largely a strong point for me, Tanya is cruel but in a by the book fashion that inured her/him from the consequences of their cruelty until they were murdered by a guy they fired. The show takes pains to show that she delights in cruelty but is also a coward who needs the fig leaf of rule violations to indulge her cruelty. The antagonist and the effect when they showed up were good fun too. By virtue of focusing on floating wizards the scope for really digging into the horrors of WW1 style trench warfare were limited but worked well in the mines segment in Ep 10 and the discussions on how you can follow the letter of the law and still kill lots and lots of civilians in Ep 9. Ep9 was a particular win for me as complaints about snipers hiding amongst civilians were the proximate cause for a large number of German war crimes in WW1 (often true for anti-partisan operations in WW2 also).

I can't call the show an unqualified success though because the uneasiness of cheering on a "Not-zi"villain popped up again for me after episode 9 when we get into the final arc. Up to this point the setting was roughly analogous to a WW1 time shifted by 15 years or so with appropriate tech for that period (ignoring magic) but from the start of the end we start to see more WW2 elements start to creep in. For a start equipment suddenly leaps forward and we see Panzer III, Me 262 Gigant (actually in the prior arc) and the strategic situation becomes more WW2 as well. Dunkirk is moved to Brest, the BEF becomes the last of the French Army, the scene is played as if the lack of attacks on Brest was a weird move (in Dunkirk the German Army had exhausted it's supplies) and then we have a General De Lugo substituting for De Gaulle but founding the "Free Republic" in North Africa.

All of this wouldn't worry me so much if I could escape the sense that they're starting to set up a Stab In The Back narrative based off the Not-Ludendorrf and Not-Hindenburg characters sudden descent into drunkeness and irresponsibility. On top of this I'm pretty sure one of the side characters referred to Tanya as the Little Corporal which opens a whole other awful vista of tone deaf alternate history. If this gets a second season I hope the author has the good sense to avoid going further down this "LOL Hitler was a former salaryman trapped in a little girl" angle.

Again I would recommend the show to anyone and is one of my favourites of last season but if the Not-zi stuff makes it a no sale I'm sad to say it doesn't do enough to escape that trope.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Sakura Quest Episode 3:

I wish I could pinpoint exactly what is holding this series back as after 3 episodes it is decent but seems like it should be a much better series then it currently is.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
How about it's boring as fuck?

That is actually where I am leaning towards and I suspect my concerns are being validated that the setting is a big problem for the series and unlike say Barakamon this show doesn't have the character chops to overcome that problem.

John Blade

bgq1Y.gif

I don't know what to say. I thought the first kiss to someone you like will be around the same place you will try to kiss but man, I was wrong here when I meet Junichi. Also, the show feel a bit odd in pacing of the story but I guess this is how it tell the story in the game as it kinda feel like it.

blurr

Sakura Quest 03

Damn good episode, had a nice build up, humor and made some great progress by the end of it.

Nice that it is a 2 cour considering it has to cover an entire year, then again, there's no telling if they will actually cover an entire year.

KraytarJ

SukaSuka 2
So there's a lot of kids and they're probably all going to die. It's alright so far.

Boruto 3
It's basically been what I'd expect something like it to be but like MHA the appeal for me is being able to get in on the ground floor of a new big shonen thing since the last batch is and has been going on forever.

Sakura Quest 3
Some good humour, Yoshino is finally quitting trying to leave and now that the pretence is gone it's time to see how this'll unfold. I am most definitely along for the ride.

zulux21

Finished Blue Exorcist Season 1, the first anime show that I finished an entire season of. I liked it a lot, even though the ending episodes felt super rushed. Left a lot of lingering questions, but waiting till the dub for Season 2 comes out before I start watching that. Any other good shows with decent dubs i can watch in the meantime?

fairy tail would last you >.> it's only like 250 episodes :p
it's free to watch dubbed with adds on VRV last i checked.

or you could sub to funimation to get access to their whole catalog.

most funimation dubs have at least decent dubs (in fact most have good dubs)

though really I think the devil is a part timer might be up your alley :p

Cornbread78

Armed Girl's Machiavellism ep.3
Sometimes, dumb & stupid junk food shows are great to watch and this one is no exception. Really, the show has no redeeming factors outside of it being stupid and fun to watch with interesting fights and good humor.

Cornbread78

Princess Lover ep.6
Pretty cute episode to enforce the Teppei's harem. Only problem was the amount of light bars/rays for this hot spring episode. Not that I care one way or the other, but they would have been netter off putting all the girls in bathing suits rather than have the entire screen whited out for minutes at a time.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
JUST GIVE ME WORLDS YOU STUPID SUNRISE FUCKS

Cornbread78

Sakurada Reset ep.3
I'm still not sure what this show is trying to accomplish as a whole. From an outside perspective, they are trying to show how each reset can cause issues with the timeline, but the presentation style is so slow and deliberate to a point of boredom almost... It looks like it gets much darker again next episode, but I'm not sure if I can last 2 cours of this...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom