• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix and Mitsuda working on Xenogears Orchestral Album - MYTH (23rd Feb 2011)

Eiolon

Bebpo said:
But isn't CC SE as well? :p

After one listen, yeah I agree it's probably not the definitive xg ost, but it's always nice listening to nice versions of these superb tracks. Really one of the best soundtracks ever to arguably the best rpg ever. Absolute shame mitsuda didn't do Xenoblade since his Xenosaga ep1 score was brilliant as well.

The game is owned by SE, but unlike Xenogears music, Mitsuda retained rights to his Chrono Cross music. He is free to re-release the soundtrack and arrange it all he wants without approval.

Mudo

Well, I bought this on the U.S. Itunes store late last night and just listened to it 1 time through on the way to work. W O W. The arrangements don't generally swing wildly away from the original tracks (like the awful CT: Brink of Time crap that was released back in the day) but they are so great to begin with that I really like how they turned out here. I may be a bit biased though as XG is one of my favorite 3 videogame soundtracks. Nearly all of my favorites are here (but no Gathering Stars in the Night Sky :/ ). I can't wait to see how the CC arrange album comes out now!

Vorador

Banned
Just broke down and bought it on iTunes. Listening to it right now. :-O

If you're a fan, there's no way you can miss this album.

Carlisle

God this is so good. Going back to some of his best work for this arrangement I can't imagine Mitsuda not chuckling to himself "...yyyyeah, I'm a god."

I've been a huge Mitsuda fan for years. I remember my best childhood friend and I just going nuts over the Chrono Cross OST back in the day. We used to make up funny scenarios of how the fuck Mitsuda came up with these incredible tracks.

Like the Chrono Trigger victory theme. Happiest fucking song in the world. We imagined Mitsuda getting laid for the first time, and upon the initial thrust he reaches his hand over to the keyboard set up beside his bed and just plays that tune with the strain of a woman in labor on his face. Wow... memories.

Vorador said:
Just broke down and bought it on iTunes. Listening to it right now. :-O

If you have ears, there's no way you can miss this album.
Fixed your obvious and embarrassing error.

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
I've listened to it like five times already. What's great about it is what's great about a lot of Mitsuda compositions: there are "stand out tracks" but the positioning and them being part of a stream of music really enhances the entire product. There are so many great hooks and beautiful melodies.

To the gin and headphones guy, I match your endeavor and raise you a glass of the good stuff!

creid

My copy just came in today. The package is niiiice. I don't suppose the translated liner notes are up anywhere?

First iTunes purchase I've made.

Looks like the days of importing expensive CDs are over...I mean, not that I've ever imported anything before...so I'm glad I could avoid that dark era of history altogether :)

I wasn't a real fan of the original Xenogears' soundtrack, but out of respect to Mitsuda (whose other works I do enjoy), I decided to check it out, and I was certainly not disappointed.

Maybe I should give the OST another chance.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Electivirus said:
I wasn't a real fan of the original Xenogears' soundtrack, but out of respect to Mitsuda (whose other works I do enjoy), I decided to check it out, and I was certainly not disappointed.

Maybe I should give the OST another chance.

34sfm0x.jpg

Zwei

Screw iTunes. I'm such a Xenogears nut, that I want to own the physical Myth album for my collection. I might even procure a copy of the vinyl press, if I can find one.

1stStrike

Banned
I just got my CD in the mail today. It's absolutely stunning so far - just got to Bonds of Sea and Fire. I'll be listening to this for a long time to come!

After a first listen, I'm in heaven. Some of the songs here are improved even beyond Creid. And I _LOVED_ that they kept Joanne Hogg's original voice track for Small Two Of Pieces, I couldn't have imagined anyone else repeating it.

The package is well worth the wait (and cost) for importing. This went right up to my very favourite game albums. It's just a question of whether it beats Creid. Possibly.

Diomedeskun said:
There was also an arranged Chrono Trigger album, The Brink of Time. It was some wacky Jazz thing that sounded really wrong with much of the Chrono Trigger music, especially Magus's theme, but at least it's not as bad as Secret of Mana +, the Seiken Densetsu 2 arrange album.

edit: Sorry, I read Trigger, not Cross. We need the Cross album desperately. Hurry up Mitsuda.
Whoa hey now. The Brink of Time has some damn good tracks. This is heresy.

Acquiesc3

Banned
Creid >>>>>> Myth

Myth is still good though.

Also, is it so much to ask for another rendition of Emotions? Easily one of my favorite tracks on the original OST.

Google translated this horribly, but still interesting -
(Last paragraph)

"- Finally, thank you to all the fans shout.

"MYTH" is planned for a long time I was warm, with an effort could be made.
When listening to this album, I hope you get your 甦Tsu is Xenogears.
Itadaketara hope heartily enjoyed.
And I think you'll love the work that continues in the future Xenogears."

Something more about Xenogears in the future?? Anyone Japanese who can translate that correctly?

V_Ben

Banned
Figured this thread would be the best place to ask if anybody knows what's going on with his Chrono Cross Arranged album? That's almost become the DNF of game music :/

not possible to buy it from other stores?

V_Ben said:
Figured this thread would be the best place to ask if anybody knows what's going on with his Chrono Cross Arranged album? That's almost become the DNF of game music :/

no real news as far as i know. he never mentions a date in interviews, but he's working on it at least. hopefully, he'll take more time for recording this time around. myth felt kinda rushed.

mattp

Mr. E. Yis said:
Google translated this horribly, but still interesting -
(Last paragraph)

"- Finally, thank you to all the fans shout.

"MYTH" is planned for a long time I was warm, with an effort could be made.
When listening to this album, I hope you get your 甦Tsu is Xenogears.
Itadaketara hope heartily enjoyed.
And I think you'll love the work that continues in the future Xenogears."

Something more about Xenogears in the future?? Anyone Japanese who can translate that correctly?
here's babelfish's translation haha

As for “MYTH” with the plan which I warmed for a long time, it was possible to make in at last thinking. When inquiring about this album, [zenogiasu] of everyone the 甦 [tsu] [te] thinks that which comes. You think, when you can enjoy freely, it is fortunate. If and, you can keep loving the work, [zenogiasu] even from now on, you think.

Varshes

conkwe said:
I'm listening to the CD right now. Anyone bought the vinyl? I really want one. It looks so nice.

Yeah I grabbed it through a middleman in Japan, very nice album, a must for Xeno collectors.

conkwe

Neo Member
Varshes said:
Yeah I grabbed it through a middleman in Japan, very nice album, a must for Xeno collectors.

I'm thinking of doing that, but I wanted one in time for Video Games Live concert so I could get it signed. And the only one I know for sale right now is really expensive. I should've pre-ordered it. :(

Top Bottom