• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix and Mitsuda working on Xenogears Orchestral Album - MYTH (23rd Feb 2011)

I've listened to about 6-7 tracks so far and they're nice and all but I still prefer the originals. Balto from Creid still remains my favorite reworked track.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
A quick Google search shows that Square did some live-stream of the album, and someone just happened to record it on the fly but missed 1 track. Interesting, but I think I want to save it for the real thing in the best quality

Dante23

1stStrike said:
Holy shit. Will buy for small two of pieces alone.

This, holy shit. But I suppose that they used the original singer's voice sample. Even that way, sounds absolutely beautiful, one of my most loved songs.

Edit: That's some serious power at 4:17. Chills.

Rektash

MUST.NOT.FAP.
... aww too late :-/.

Soooooo bought.

[EDIT] Play-asia, don't let me down please !? - where is my preorder for this?

mango drank

*headscratch*

Impressions after a few random songs: these aren't bad, but ... it's almost as if there's barely any rearrangement at all. I guess I don't know the full background / intent of this album, but I assumed the original tracks would've been overhauled for an orchestra, to give the music a strong symphonic / classical sound. Honestly, these sound almost exactly like the originals, but with real instruments instead of synthesizers.

Not bad, but ... not much of a departure from the original. I guess I've been spoiled by the likes of Video Games Live, Play!, etc.

I'll listen through more tracks, though. Could be wrong.

Edit: never mind, the few I heard must have been duds.

Tabris

Yeah they are similar. Still, it's nice to hear the chanting in The Beginning and The End being crisper.

My disappointment is the lack of 'One Who Bears Fangs at God' and 'The One Who is Torn Apart' (Id Theme)

Actually biggest disappointment is the lack of 'Tears of the Stars'.

hsukardi

Some of the arrangements are a bit lacklustre.. I'm surprised they used the English version of Small Two of Pieces; a JP version existed for Creid and that was awesome as well. Perhaps that does tell you what the target audience for this OST is..

I'll wait for the full album version to make a judgment but my excitement has been taken down a notch following a listen to some of the pieces.

duckroll

hsukardi said:
Some of the arrangements are a bit lacklustre.. I'm surprised they used the English version of Small Two of Pieces; a JP version existed for Creid and that was awesome as well. Perhaps that does tell you what the target audience for this OST is..

Errr... Small Two of Pieces is in English. That is the language the song is in. The Creid track is a rearrangement with a totally different title. It's called Mebius. It's not considered the same song. Since this is an orchestration of the original Xenogears soundtrack, and not Creid, there is no reason why Mitsuda would use Mebius instead. Small Two of Pieces is in English regardless of what version of Xenogears you're playing. That's the original song as intended by the composer and the director. It has nothing to do with target audience.

Does anyone know if this is a limited release or not? I want to pick this up later if I could, but would pick it up on release if it is limited. I am assuming it is just a standard release like any other album, and will be available still months later right now.

duckroll

Leshita said:
Does anyone know if this is a limited release or not? I want to pick this up later if I could, but would pick it up on release if it is limited. I am assuming it is just a standard release like any other album, and will be available still months later right now.

It's not limited, but imo, the better the sales of the album at launch, the more likely S-E Music will be motivated to do stuff like this for their older titles in future. So I feel supporting it is pretty important.

duckroll said:
It's not limited, but imo, the better the sales of the album at launch, the more likely S-E Music will be motivated to do stuff like this for their older titles in future. So I feel supporting it is pretty important.

Thanks, good to hear. I understand your point. I too would love for more albums like this to be released in the future, but I am just trying to cut down on my spending on media a bit since I splurged too much on Blu-rays and games over the holiday season (and currently jobless). I will purchase this album as soon as I can get a stable flow of income though as Xenogears is perhaps my favourite videogame soundtrack ever. :)

duckroll

Leshita said:
Thanks, good to hear. I understand your point. I too would love for more albums like this to be released in the future, but I am just trying to cut down on my spending on media a bit now since I splurged too much on Blu-rays and games over the holiday season (and currently jobless). I will purchase this album as soon as I can get a stable flow of income though as Xenogears is perhaps my favourite videogame soundtrack ever. :)

Yeah if you're worried about availability of the album in a few months, I don't think it'll be an issue.

B.K.

brohmbel said:
... it's almost as if there's barely any rearrangement at all.

That's a GOOD thing. Have you ever listened to Xenogears Light? They rearranged the hell out of the songs. They rearranged them so much that most of them are completely unrecognizable. They completely ruined the songs they did.

duckroll said:

Which means Mitsuda will be spending more time in the SE offices.

All he needs to say is, "guys, I've been thinking a lot about Chrono lately..."

and a sequel will be born.

1stStrike

Banned
Carlisle said:
This with the impending PSN release... are we gonna have to have a GAF plays session? Cause I think we are.

I do want to replay it, but man, it looks so much better in the PS1 emulator with all the AA and such. I'd much rather pop in my disc (I don't actually have it right now as my entire PS1/PS2 game collection is being held hostage - long story) but when I do get em back I'm down for a replay.

Carlisle

disappeared said:

and I will splooge buckets.
fixed.

duckroll

disappeared said:

and a sequel will be born.

Why would Mitsuda be spending any time in S-E offices at all?

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
Ever since this man told me to my face that the acoustic Chrono Cross album would be out in 2007 I have doubted him.

BUT I ORDERED THIS ANYWAY

1stStrike

Banned
I think the re-arrangement of small two of pieces is really great with the improved instruments, however Bonds of Sea and Fire really shines here. I loved the original, but this is very captivating. I can't wait to be able to buy this and rip all the songs in FLAC onto my HD for lossless listening!

mattp

this thread seems the only appropriate place to show off my early birthday present i got last night :D
1z4z98i.jpg

Top Bottom