• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Deus Ex: The Fall for iOS [Up: $7 price, Video Footage]

I don't get it. People got mad hype for Peace Walker on PSP.

i'm an MGS fan and i didn't.. not gonna buy a console just to play that. and not going to buy an Apple device just to play this. so i'm just annoyed, having to miss out on potentially good games.

also PSP has real controls.

jgminto

this-is-bullshit-o.gif

Can't believe it...

beastmode

i'm an MGS fan and i didn't.. not gonna buy a console just to play that. and not going to buy an Apple device just to play this. so i'm just annoyed, having to miss out on potentially good games.

also PSP has real controls.
I didn't play it either (until the console port.) But I also didn't sweat over it.

Controls don't seem like that big of an issue. HR wasn't a twitch shooter.

feel

Goddammitttt!! I blame everyone who was saying it would be an iOS game in the other thread.

That being said that looks good, might buy for the iphone.

I didn't play it either (until the console port.) But I also didn't sweat over it.

Controls don't seem like that big of an issue. HR wasn't a twitch shooter.

no it wasn't really a twitch shooter, but it certainly wasn't something i would want to play with touchscreen controls that never quite work, and on a small screen no less... absolutely zero interest.

i want to play Deus Ex on a big screen that i don't have to swipe with my fingers. i want it to be an immersive experience.

Sheroking

I'll say it again: Fuck modern day Square-Enix.

I don't get it. People got mad hype for Peace Walker on PSP.

The PSP is a gaming device with buttons, analog and directional pad.

No proper Deus Ex game will ever be able to function on a touch-screen only interface.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
If you're talking about modernizing some of the mechanics (Stealth specifically), sure, I can agree with that. Porting it to an iOS device in hopes of it playing better though, that I'm not so sure about.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why would anyone want this? Does Square Enix even understand the concept of making games to a platform's strengths?

Danj

Doesn't make them worse either. I think Deus Ex will work pretty well on the ipad.

Such a shame that it won't work on any other tablet though. I know it's the cool thing to ignore the Android platform because piracy etc but it's a significant piece of the mobile market that they're simply not serving.

I guess I get where they're coming from and maybe they make a considerable amount of money from iOS games but... Meh. It's like the easy way out. It's not wrong, just boring.

That screenshot does look pretty good, though.

Danj

So here's an interesting thing: the official press release (via Engadget) doesn't mention iOS, iPhones or iPads at all... could this be a sliver of hope for us non-iThingy users?

Enectic

Banned
A good game is a good game regardless of the platform. If they're able to bring a full featured Deus Ex on mobile platforms then that's awesome and kudos to them.

Danj

A good game is a good game regardless of the platform. If they're able to bring a full featured Deus Ex on mobile platforms then that's awesome and kudos to them.

Except most of the information we have at the moment suggests it's not "mobile platforms" - currently it appears to be iOS only. Things being iOS exclusive is bad, it only strengthens Apple's attempt to place a stranglehold on the mobile industry.

Enectic

Banned
Except most of the information we have at the moment suggests it's not "mobile platforms" - currently it appears to be iOS only. Things being iOS exclusive is bad, it only strengthens Apple's attempt to place a stranglehold on the mobile industry.

I see this no different from exclusives on consoles. Besides Apple doesn't really have a "stranglehold" on the mobile market. They're still a huge platform but nowhere near what they used to be and have been declining the past few years. ComTech research group published last week that Android holds 51.7 percent of the mobile market with iOS holding 41.4 percent and Windows Phone holding 5.6 percent. Ironically they showed Windows Phone was actually the fastest growing with a YoY growth of 131 percent. They also predicted that by 2017 Windows Phone will be neck and neck with iOS.

ZenaxPure

Also, an iPhone is really expensive.

I bought an iPod touch cheaper than the 3DS or the Vita for playing games on, you don't -have- to buy an iphone to play iOS games. Only real potential problem is that iPhones are always more powerful than touches, but, realistically I haven't really ran into many games that I couldn't play on mine.

Eusis

I bought an iPod touch cheaper than the 3DS or the Vita for playing games on, you don't -have- to buy an iphone to play iOS games. Only real potential problem is that iPhones are always more powerful than touches, but, realistically I haven't really ran into many games that I couldn't play on mine.
They also are rendered irrelevant a hell of a lot faster: I got an iPod Touch 4G partially because of games, but then a year later GTA3 hits and it constantly crashes. I have a Nexus 7 but Android has a problem of being overlooked for games at times, though it looks like that's improving (probably BECAUSE the Nexus 7 is the potent, cheap alternative to the iPad), but unless progress very rapidly stalls out I can see tablets/smart phones being way more costly albeit in a different way than consoles to keep up with gaming. Especially the iPad, those are usually $500 damn dollars and to stay relevant for games you'd probably need to upgrade at least everyone other year unless you're just playing Angry Bird caliber games, which this definitely is not. I suppose you could just keep getting games cheap or for free, but the free ones you have to question the quality of (or the pervasiveness of IAP), and either way that'd probably still come out way ahead of just buying a 3DS depending on what you're buying (and that may still be a better GAMING value depending on tastes even after buying $300 of games or whatever.)

I'm generally for playing to a platform's strengths and as such staying exclusive, but we're talking more traditional style games we got on platforms we didn't necessarily need to keep replacing (well, PC certainly fit that bill, but progress slowed there), so I do hope they either get more port happy or hardware progress on the mobile front practically flatlines so a $500 iPad really COULD get me through many years of gaming. Then again that battery would probably start crapping out, so maybe it's more that Apple's hardware model is actually just plain abhorrent for a gaming platform.

EDIT: Dammit I meant 4G, not 3G.

ZenaxPure

It just depends on the game. My ipod touch is a second gen which is really old at this point but it can still play plenty of games. It certainly won't play this Deux Ex game but realistically I should have upgraded by now given it has been so long.

Basically what I am getting at is even though they get outdated at a rapid pace (though the phones do as well) the large majority of iOS games worth playing don't require very strong hardware anyway. The 2nd gen touches came out in like 2008 or something and it's only been since late 2011 or so that I started to run into games on a regular basis that I want to play but can't. But, again, it's really random because there have been games come out this year that I have bought and enjoyed no problem.

The short review of it being, the older devices (though mine was new when I got it!) aren't as consistent as something like a vita or 3DS because of the rapidly evolving hardware/software but there has also been such a large amount of games to come out since then I don't feel like I lost any money. I played and enjoyed more games in the first year of my touch than I have with any other console in their first year because of game price and quantity, well worth the cheaper entry point of a touch as opposed to a phone.

I have always wanted just a standalone deus ex hacking game since playing it on xbox. I had alot of fun with all the hacking minigames, kinda wish that created a game solely on that aspect but obviously with more upgrades/items e.t.c

Playing fps games on touch screens is always painful, that said im glad its not a cheap cashin as it looks like despite reusing assets they are providing an original story.

Hopefully you dont get too lost if you didnt read the Icarus book.

I bought an iPod touch cheaper than the 3DS or the Vita for playing games on,
Not much cheaper mind. And...

you don't -have- to buy an iphone to play iOS games. Only real potential problem is that iPhones are always more powerful than touches, but, realistically I haven't really ran into many games that I couldn't play on mine.

... wait a few years. Another thing that irritates me about iOS gaming is the constant change in technology, so you have no idea if the device you bought two years ago will play the game that everybody's talking about. At least with my 3DS I know I'm good for another 3 years at least.

I don't see how this is going to control well at all, but it's nice to see...I guess. Square Enix if you're going to tackle the mobile market, it should be with turn-based games.

FireVoa

Do companies make big name titles like Deus Ex, Final Fantasy.. etc on iOS and get big returns? I always thought they wanted a piece of the pie but didn't think it worked out as they planned for the most part.

Eusis

It just depends on the game. My ipod touch is a second gen which is really old at this point but it can still play plenty of games. It certainly won't play this Deux Ex game but realistically I should have upgraded by now given it has been so long.

Basically what I am getting at is even though they get outdated at a rapid pace (though the phones do as well) the large majority of iOS games worth playing don't require very strong hardware anyway. The 2nd gen touches came out in like 2008 or something and it's only been since late 2011 or so that I started to run into games on a regular basis that I want to play but can't. But, again, it's really random because there have been games come out this year that I have bought and enjoyed no problem.

The short review of it being, the older devices (though mine was new when I got it!) aren't as consistent as something like a vita or 3DS because of the rapidly evolving hardware/software but there has also been such a large amount of games to come out since then I don't feel like I lost any money. I played and enjoyed more games in the first year of my touch than I have with any other console in their first year because of game price and quantity, well worth the cheaper entry point of a touch as opposed to a phone.
Well, there are a lot of lower end games where it's no problem, and they DO make up the majority of stuff probably for the exact reasons I have an issue with these being treated as serious platforms to release games on exclusively. And basically that the thing, games like this ARE the ones that could make year old devices have a melt down much like that GTAIII port, so while it's fine to keep using an older iPod Touch/Tablet/Phone for Angry Birds or Puzzles & Dragons it's no good if I want something like this.

And I didn't feel the iPod Touch was a waste either (though that was a Christmas gift), even if I ended up not playing too many games (outside of Angry Birds, and a decent chunk of Game Dev Story god damn) I played PLENTY of music on it and it's been a very useful portable internet device on the side, though that functionality's more or less been displaced by the Nexus 7 or just using the phone. They're not machines I really want to play games on, but they're definitely great portable computers, and we're at kind of an odd point there when it comes to games given that it's in kind of the awkward position of being the place where you could hit the most people with a game... yet the interface is arguably one of the worst possible ones to try playing heavier games like this on. Only one worse would probably be going for full Kinect while controlling roughly the same.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member

Which Gen? Because (officially) the a iTouch 5 Gen is more expensive than both devices (well, the new, nerfed, released this week, one is cheaper than a vita), and the older ones are probably going to have problems running this game.

numble

Which Gen? Because (officially) the a iTouch 5 Gen is more expensive than both devices (well, the new, nerfed, released this week, one is cheaper than a vita), and the older ones are probably going to have problems running this game.
This game doesn't look like it's doing anything particularly special compared to other recent graphically intense games on iOS--NOVA 3, Modern Combat 4, Infinity Blade 2, Real Racing 3, etc, which have all been playable on the 4th gen iPod.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
This game doesn't look like it's doing anything particularly special compared to other recent graphically intense games on iOS--NOVA 3, Modern Combat 4, Infinity Blade 2, Real Racing 3, etc, which have all been playable on the 4th gen iPod.
With noticeable downgrades. And yes, this game seems to have better shadows and even some kind of dynamic lighting.

Eusis

GTA3's a wreck on mine but then maybe that just wasn't a great port? Walking Dead won't even boot up either.

Liamario

Banned
Genuine question. Do people actually want this sort of game on a touch screen. I mean, are they going to get that much in the way of sales?
I know games like Angry Birds are very popular on touch screen devices, but I don't expect to be playing something like Deus Ex on it; nor would I want to.

So I finally saw the gameplay clips.

My god.

Betting full price of the game that this will eventually come to PC. Betting full price of the game that I will not buy this piece of shit of an excuse for spending a year into a game that more than half of the fans may not be able to get because of their hatred for smartphone games and other half will despise this bullshit.

They are catering to a very small crowd in a very big pond. The game will sell decently, but its practically alienation at this point.

So I'll repeat: Fuck you, Enix. The game looks so dull and dead. The A.I. looks stupid. That bullshot in OP is not what it looks like. have fun playing the game with text covered by your thumbs.

EDIT: Android? That... may change my mind if its released on Ouya. May. Still, Fuck you, Enix.

Betting full price of the game that this will eventually come to PC. Betting full price of the game that I will not buy this piece of shit of an excuse for spending a year into a game that more than half of the fans may not be able to get because of their hatred for smartphone games and other half will despise this bullshit.

Most people are not so closed-minded that they will hate a smartphone Deus Ex without even having played it.

I played Mass Effect: Infiltrator. It wasn't even awful, in fact it was perfectly adequate. However I'm no Kaito when it comes to controlling phone games and I would have enjoyed it more with a controller.

ash_ag

Where does it state that? An Android release could mean that an OUYA release is not out of the question. I would consider playing this with controller support.

Deus Ex: The Fall will be available soon for iPad 2, iPhone 4S and iPod Touch 5 and above for the price of $6.99. It is also confirmed for Android devices, but timing is still to be announced. It will be playable at the Square Enix booth at this year’s E3 (South Hall #1647, come say hi!)

I actually wonder if it will have controller support. MOGA is gaining some popularity, but Square Enix hasn't supported it in any game so far (I think).

Top Bottom