• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Dragon Quest Heroes 2 for PS3/PS4/Vita

In the West, pretty sure they'll ignore the Vita is most or all occasions. Deadman's Cross came out because we already had the localization from the iOS/Android versions. What about SaGa and DQH2? We could get the iOS-to-Vita ports if only because they might be localized for the iOS release.

Who is pulling the strings might answer this question. Perhaps Koei Tecmo might have some more say and they love to release the game on all 3 Playstation systems in the West.

If the fear is cannibalization, then I understand not releasing on the PS3. However, ignoring the Vita, even if a digital only release, seems a bit off. I dont think Vita sales will cannibalize the PS4, but me more of a "in addition" type sales. Perhaps you will get people who buy it on both systems just to have a portable version? You already have the translation file, I cant see the economics of adding that translation file to the Vita version would be so astronomical as to avoid bringing it to the West. I would imagine whatever sales SE would get on the Vita in the west, however little it is, would more than make up for that cost. However, I cant pretend to know the financials NOR SE logic.

I certainly hope they bring the Vita version here. I also certainly hope that if they translate and port Chaos Rings 3 to the west, they put the effort in to get the Vita game over. I mean they put in an English language patch for the first games that are part of the Vita collection out in east since they had the translations already done. *shrugs*

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
https://twitter.com/DQ_HEROES/status/583446021843226624

This will not be an expansion of the first game.

Just like Sengoku Musou 4-II was "not" an expansion of the first game. If it's got Omega Force (Koei) behind it, don't rule out seeing a lot of reused assets is all. It's a musou staple, even with games from other companies. There are levels re-used from Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus in the recently released sequel, Estival Versus, too.

It's crazy how fast they can make these Musou games. And it's even crazier how Square Enix is allowing Koei to milk the Dragon Quest franchise. It's been a month since DQH came out.

They managed to beat Level-5!

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Just like Sengoku Musou 4-II was "not" an expansion of the first game. If it's got Omega Force (Koei) behind it, don't rule out seeing a lot of reused assets is all.

Obviously there is going to be reused assets. Its not as if it is just specific to this game.

Kudo

Hopefully we get the first one before this comes, really looking forward to trying this out too.

Amir0x

Banned
Though I agree with you in this case, there are definitely some genres of video games where sequels can render the previous game obsolete, namely fighting, racing, and sports games. Or at least, that's usually the objective. People can often prefer a specific version's mechanics over its successor.

That's a good point. You're right that in certain exceptional cases, especially in the sports genre, a sequel generally does render the past year's predecessor obsolete.

Fighting games... eh, that's a bit more shaky. They too end up with new characters, new stories, new stages and new gameplay. And believe me in the world of fighting games, even the smallest refinements can split the entire fighting game community between a sequel and its predecessor. There are some of course that do render the previous obsolete, but I'd say that's not necessarily a standard feature for the genre as it is for sports games.

Racing games too.

Amir0x

Banned
thats a very quick announcement. They must of saw the success coming some time ago.

I just wonder how soon 'til they announced DQXI. They've been hinting for ages now it's coming to PS4, and they gotta know that's another surefire hit in Japan to really soup up their bottom line. After this game's success they have to be even more ready to show that game in their minds and start pre-counting the money. And I think they will release that one in the USA... maybe it'll have a chance to do decently. I hope they don't expect more than DQ8 numbers though ;)

I just wonder how soon 'til they announced DQXI. They've been hinting for ages now it's coming to PS4, and they gotta know that's another surefire hit in Japan to really soup up their bottom line. After this game's success they have to be even more ready to show that game in their minds and start pre-counting the money. And I think they will release that one in the USA... maybe it'll have a chance to do decently. I hope they don't expect more than DQ8 numbers though ;)

I really wonder if they'll make DQXI exclusive to PS4 though... It would probably be the worst selling mainline DQ game.

I feel like they'll do the same strategy as DQH (PS3/4 Japan and PS4 only in the west).

Amir0x

Banned
I really wonder if they'll make DQXI exclusive to PS4 though... It would probably be the worst selling mainline DQ game.

I feel like they'll do the same strategy as DQH (PS3/4 Japan and PS4 only in the west).

Well yeah, it'll probably come to the PS3 too. I'm expecting that for sure. I just hope it's more like DQVIII than like DQIX and DQX.

DQ11 should be by 2016 (anniversary).....so expect a reveal this year :eek:

thats a very quick announcement. They must of saw the success coming some time ago.
The Dragon Quest console sold pretty well and that was available for months before the game was even released and the localisation announcement was the day of release, so they knew already that they had money in the bank.

AmanoBuff

Great to see the tease was actually real. I hope SQEX keeps supporting the Vita.

They should announce it fairly soon. Type-0 HD and FFXV demo are already out, no other huge update is coming to FFXIV and FFX/X-2 for PS4 is coming in a bit more than a month. I don't think they have anything else down the pipeline, so hopefully they'll start revealing more stuff before long.

it's real? this is way too gfast to be a proper musou sequel they usually take about 2-3 years, so this is eitheer a SW4 II like sequel, going to be really shoddy, or is a hell of a long way off

There are many musou series with sequels every year.

no those are XL's and are not proper sequels, or Empires games

DW7 2011
DW8 2013

SW3 2009/10
SW4 2014
(SW4 II is not a sequel)

WO2 2008
WO3 2011/2012

One Piece 2 2013
One Piece 3 2015

Gundam 3 2010/2011
Gundam Reborn 2013/2014

Proper Sequels tend to take 2 years, sometimes longer

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
no those are XL's and are not proper sequels, or Empires games

DW7 2011
DW8 2013

SW3 2009/10
SW4 2014
(SW4 II is not a sequel)

WO2 2008
WO3 2011/2012

One Piece 2 2013
One Piece 3 2015

Gundam 3 2010/2011
Gundam Reborn 2013/2014

Proper Sequels tend to take 2 years, sometimes longer

Since you want to post lists even in this incomplete don't leave out One Piece 1.

Since you want to post lists even in this incomplete don't leave out One Piece 2 because it's a sequel to 1.

I didn't miss out anything, I posted the last 2 official mainline titles for each of the 5 series

I could have put down Ken's Rage in there too which follows a similar pattern with it's sequel.

A proper sequel to a mainline title usually takes around 2 years but some have taken much longer than that

which is why I'm worried for the quality of this sequel

So it's real huh?

Wonder what the platform split will be with Vita in the mix. I'm expecting it to be down on the 800k of the first game, but still.

Anyway... this just continues the trend of Vita actually getting franchises that matter, but not in the way I imagined.

There's a Final Fantasy game on Vita... but it's a HD remake of a PS2 game also on PS3.

There's a Monster Hunter on Vita... but it's a subscription based MMO.

There's a Dragon Quest on Vita... but it's the sequel to a multi-plat musou game.

There's a Resident Evil on Vita... but it's an episodic spin-off.

Etc.

Prelude.

lol lets be real, naming it 2 is better for sales. i just hope they take a break after the second one because it will turn into one piece and decline in huge numbers.
I don't think they want to set this precedent, it'd be pretty stupid and counterproductive, it's just a sequel.

crinale

http://www.famitsu.com/serial/tsubakigame/201503/31075117.html

The Famitsu article (published before DQH2 was revealed) stated that Ichimura got many request to include online multiplayer. He dodged the interviewer's final question that if sequel exists (lol) whether it would have online multiplayer or not.

(Though it's worth mentioning that in the article he kept insisting if devs are to add online multiplayer they should re-design entire game from ground up).

crinale

Well honestly OG DQH isn't released at Western market so I understand people don't have much to talk. Aside from online multiplayer I can see new characters are introduced by looking at the splash screen.

Top Bottom