• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix announces Seiken Densetsu: Rise of Mana for smartphones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eusis

Ishii left SE so the chances of getting a decent Seiken Densetsu game are slim to none even if it was on a more traditional platform. Although, some of the most recent crappy ones were on his watch too, so maybe there was no chance whatsoever.
I figure the odds were 50/50 no matter what happened. Probably the best hope was SE actually deciding to go with something of a Zelda knockoff that was more of an actual RPG much like they did with the first two or three games, but for how popular Zelda was it really isn't copied that much anyway.

MilkBeard

I wonder if there's hope for SaGa...

Hmm. Good question. It could literally go any which way. They already made a SaGa smartphone game but it's very possible that SE has just decided to turn everything into a smartphone title.

As a SaGa fan I had pretty much come to terms with the fact that a new SaGa title for a dedicated gaming platform would be pretty unlikely. In the event that it would happen, chances are that it wouldn't even make it to the west considering the series does very poorly here.

As for Mana: it was coming from a mile away. But I guess even when you know it, it still hurts to finally see the truth.

I was expecting a massive AAA console JRPG for next-gen machines and I get a F2P mobile game.

There was no conceivable way I could have seen this coming.

Based SE.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
8079.gif

UberTag

I don't even care any more. This company is creatively bankrupt.
They have two decent studios... one in California, one in Montreal.
The only time they get a decent game out of Japan now is if they pay someone like Silicon Studio to make it for them.
And it wouldn't be so bad that they were burning up all of their franchise capital in the mobile space if they were actually producing decent games for smartphones. But they're not.

At least they were able to salvage their MMO after a false start.

Goli

I'm pretty confident that what Kawazu is hyping since the beginning of the year for Saga 25th anniversary is not a mobile game.

He started last year and it was on an interview for Emperors Saga, the GREE game he writes the scenario for. Don't be so sure.

MilkBeard

I'm pretty confident that what Kawazu is hyping since the beginning of the year for Saga 25th anniversary is not a mobile game.

Yeah, if it wasn't for that, I'd be really worried. But considering his announcement and the fact that they already have a mobile title for the series means that it could be anything, really. My guess is if it's going to be a dedicated gaming platform then it will be 3DS. But who knows. If it's not a mobile phone title, then I want to play it.

MilkBeard

He started last year and it was on an interview for Emperors Saga, the GREE game he writes the scenario for. Don't be so sure.

Going by his announcement, it seems like there are multiple projects in the works, and I don't doubt that some of them are mobile related. But I think there's a good chance that there's also something bigger planned.

Sinople

I know SE likes to hype their browser/mobile games with countdowns and similar ploys, but reading his various interviews here and there and his twitter feed, I can't help but think it's something far more bigger than Emperor. His apparition on stage during a concert of Itoken, the collaboration with the Saga Prefecture (as silly as it may look), his daily tweet about the series... That would be to much just for a mobile game, and he knows well he would alienate the fanbase with such a move.

And then there's this interesting tweet from the 22 about games having to be multiplatform nowadays, with a mention about the PS4 releasing this day:
Kawazu said:
サガシリーズは最初がゲームボーイ、次にスーパーファミコン、それからプレイステーション、プレイステーション2と、それぞれのハードの専用ソフトとして作られて来ました。でも、時代は変わって、マルチに出すのが当たり前になりました。
今日はPS4の発売日です。
Of course, it may be unrelated and perhaps I'm just disillusioning myself but the way he wrote it...

Goli

I know SE likes to hype their browser/mobile games with countdowns and similar ploys, but reading his various interviews here and there and his twitter feed, I can't help but think it's something far more bigger than Emperor. His apparition on stage during a concert of Itoken, the collaboration with the Saga Prefecture (as silly as it may look), his daily tweet about the series... That would be to much just for a mobile game, and he knows well he would alienate the fanbase with such a move.

And then there's this interesting tweet from the 22 about games having to be multiplatform nowadays, with a mention about the PS4 releasing this day:

Of course, it may be unrelated and perhaps I'm just disillusioning myself but the way he wrote it...
Emperors SaGa is important enough for him to handle the scenario personally and have a section where he answers questions from players. It was also enough to get events that served as prequels for Romancing SaGa 1, 2 and 3. The "SaGa" fan base in Japan is probably playing it, otherwise they probably would have shutdown the game like they've done for other similar ones, but instead they've kept expanding it and porting it to other platforms. The fact that it's a mobile game didn't stop him from doing any of that, so I don't think the platform itself is relevant. Of course, it could be a console or handheld game, but I think it could also be a mobile one, or multiple projects across all platforms.

MilkBeard

Emperors SaGa is important enough for him to handle the scenario personally and have a section where he answers questions from players. It was also enough to get events that served as prequels for Romancing SaGa 1, 2 and 3. The "SaGa" fan base in Japan is probably playing it, otherwise they probably would have shutdown the game like they've done for other similar ones, but instead they've kept expanding it and porting it to other platforms. The fact that it's a mobile game didn't stop him from doing any of that, so I don't think the platform itself is relevant. Of course, it could be a console or handheld game, but I think it could also be a mobile one, or multiple projects across all platforms.

Yeah, this was my interpretation of his words based on translations.

Tripon

The series was most successful when it was Seiken Densetsu 1-3. Why exactly is it so difficult to return to that style of game?

Doorman

Well I'm going to go cry somewhere now. I'd rather they just kill the series altogether and do something else than see this, from a franchise that held such esteem back in the day.

I mean yeah...things went downhill pretty fast after Legend of Mana but this just dashed any hope of mine to ever see a worthwhile installment in the series ever again.

Goli

My phone is being slow, do the graphics look like the regular Mana graphics or no?

No leaked scans or anything yet, that I know of at least, but Famitsu will probably have pictures tomorrow/in a few hours and Se is probably gonna put up a teaser site for it as well, as usual.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
The series was most successful when it was Seiken Densetsu 1-3. Why exactly is it so difficult to return to that style of game?

It really shouldn't be and I would love it if they ported that SD1 mobile version over; but that's never going to happen.

Goli

It really shouldn't me and I would love it if they ported that SD1 mobile version over; but that's never going to happen.

The iOS version of SD2/SoM is based on the mobile version that was released for feature phones, so it's not completely out of the question, specially now that SE has ran out of classic FFs to port.

tbm24

Some interesting reactions in this thread. Makes me wonder if anyone has played the mana games that came after Legend because they were not good. This game has a pretty easy road to being better than the GBA/DS titles I think. We'll see how it turns out.

Dark_castle

Why are people so salty about this news? It's not like it was a follow-up to critically-acclaimed Secret of Mana or Seiken Densetsu 3. The Mana series has been dead-er than dead for the last decade with bunch of mediocre products even on both consoles and dedicated handhelds.

llotus

Neo Member

This .gif pretty much captured how I was feeling. I was just talking with my buddy how I would love a new Mana game that could capture the essence of Secret of Mana, but then I saw this topic, got hyped, and quickly realized that this game has a 97% chance of being garbage.

I really hope I'm wrong.

tbm24

You sir, can you please explain your "oh fandom" towards the Mana series. Please explain how much you loved Children of Mana, Friends of Mana, Dawn of Mana, Heroes of Mana and Circle of Mana.
I think people are better off not knowing a thing about any of those games. This iOS game has such a good chance of being better than all of them.

Dark_castle

i716antyvRr45.gif

Man, Seiken Densetsu 2 and 3 were awesome games. To see it come to this...

Lmao, let's be honest, have you EVEN play the bunch of Mana games that follow up the first 4 or so. They're all garbage essentially, even when one of them appeared on a home console.

I just find it hard to believe people still cares about Mana these days.

Sinople

I'm not denying that Emperors Saga is successful as far as mobile games goes for SE and they could very well be happy leaving Saga on mobile.
But the fanbase has been vocal about wanting another consumer game (i.e. on a handheld/console) for years, and both Kawazu and SE itself acknowledged it (Kawazu on Famitsu and SE via the producer of Drag-on Dragoon 3).
As I said in another thread, if they can secure a budget for Drag-on Dragoon 3, they can for Saga, which is arguably more popular.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Why do i get excited with any thread starting with "Square Enix Announces", anyway. They all end with "For phones"

I would care more if it wasn't for the fact that Mana hasn't been good for a long time.

Arguably it has been pretty bad for a while now. This isn't really much worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom